quality posts: 1563 Private Messages Cesare

Foxy Roxy 2009 Columbia Valley Gewürtzraminer 6-Pack
$72.99 (Normally $114.11) 36% off List Price
2009 Gewürtzraminer, Columbia Valley
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

shushine999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages shushine999

OMGOMGOMGOMG!!! Gveurtz....Guertsim........Girtszim.....MY FAVORITE WINE!!!

AND IT SHIPS TO MY STATE!!!

davirom

quality posts: 10 Private Messages davirom

The write up mentions sweetness, but no mention of residual sugar. Anyone know just how sweet this is?

cotillion

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cotillion

SOMEONE TELL ME THINGS ABOUT THIS

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
cotillion wrote:SOMEONE TELL ME THINGS ABOUT THIS

It's awesome. I first tried a Gewurtz at a wine festival in NJ. It's got a nice crispness to it, not very sweet but also not too dry. Similar to a viognier, except not so...I guess thick would be the word.

My wife and I love it, it goes very well with light flavored foods.

That's all I've got, forgive my lack of technical wine knowledge. It's a good wine, everyone should buy some.

cotillion

prttymf8 wrote:It's awesome. I first tried a Gewurtz at a wine festival in NJ. It's got a nice crispness to it, not very sweet but also not too dry. Similar to a viognier, except not so...I guess thick would be the word.

Are you talking about the cultivar or this wine in particular? I'm concerned by the description of sweet (fruit sweet or RS sweet).

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
cotillion wrote:Are you talking about the cultivar or this wine in particular? I'm concerned by the description of sweet (fruit sweet or RS sweet).

I don't know this one in particular. I just know I've tried several Gewurtz from several wineries.

What's RS sweet?

kdloeffler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kdloeffler
cotillion wrote:Are you talking about the cultivar or this wine in particular? I'm concerned by the description of sweet (fruit sweet or RS sweet).

Agree...need to know more. I like semi-dry with that grapefruit note to it. Goes GREAT with Sushi and a few other meals we like. Stating something is "thick" sounds like it is sweet.

I guess it is time to hit the vineyard's website before deciding.

cotillion

prttymf8 wrote:I don't know this one in particular. I just know I've tried several Gewurtz from several wineries.

What's RS sweet?

Ah, gotcha. I love gewurztraminer too!

RS is residual sugar. Sometimes, either by winemaker decision or chance conditions not mitigated, the yeast won't finish off all of the sugars available to it in the must. The sweetness with which you end up is detectable in the wine after a certain point, and it's usually just a blunt sweetness. Fruit sweet would be more of something that appears in a dry (less than 0.2% RS) wine that still gives the idea of the sweetness due to the impressions carried by those fruit flavors.

I prefer gewurztraminer to be dry to off dry and as floral as possible. Even fruit sweet worries me, as G is an aroma driven wine, and low fermentation temps help to achieve this - as opposed to higher temps for fruity characters.

Edit: floral/spice aroma driven

kdloeffler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kdloeffler
cotillion wrote:Ah, gotcha. I love gewurztraminer too!

RS is residual sugar. Sometimes, either by winemaker decision or chance conditions not mitigated, the yeast won't finish off all of the sugars available to it in the must. The sweetness with which you end up is detectable in the wine after a certain point, and it's usually just a blunt sweetness. Fruit sweet would be more of something that appears in a dry (less than 0.2% RS) wine that still gives the idea of the sweetness due to the impressions carried by those fruit flavors.

I prefer gewurztraminer to be dry to off dry and as floral as possible. Even fruit sweet worries me, as G is an aroma driven wine, and low fermentation temps help to achieve this - as opposed to higher temps for fruity characters.

Edit: floral/spice aroma driven

We have a winner! Now...who could tell us if this is that kind of G?

jeeperwoot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jeeperwoot

We have Laughing Cat Gewurztraminer with Turkey everything Thanksgiving. pairs well. might have to give this one a whirl this year.

foxyroxywines

quality posts: 3 Private Messages foxyroxywines
shushine999 wrote:OMGOMGOMGOMG!!! Gveurtz....Guertsim........Girtszim.....MY FAVORITE WINE!!!

Yes, you will love this wine..It comes from a vineyard that won the first "100" for Syrah in the state of Washington and we now have 5 more recent accolandes in Wine Spectator this month. Enjoy!!

foxyroxywines

kdloeffler wrote:We have a winner! Now...who could tell us if this is that kind of G?

Everyone who tastes it loves it. This wine is a sweeter one but wonderful!!

foxyroxywines

davirom wrote:The write up mentions sweetness, but no mention of residual sugar. Anyone know just how sweet this is?

The sugar is 1.97, semi-dry with
the essence of Gewurztraminer characteristics!!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
foxyroxywines wrote:Everyone who tastes it loves it. This wine is a sweeter one but wonderful!!

Would you kindly put a number to the RS for the geeks on the board that would really like to know such..?

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
foxyroxywines wrote:The sugar is 1.97, semi-dry with
the essence of Gewurztraminer characteristics!!!

Thanks! missed this in the refresh.

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Not sweet. I'd call 'off-dry'. A subtle, approachable, food-friendly Gewurtztraminer. Not super acidic, soft and mellow.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

foxyroxywines

cotillion wrote:SOMEONE TELL ME THINGS ABOUT THIS

The grapes are estate grown. The now is brilliant spice of Gewurz., honeysuckle passion flower and orange blossoms. The palate explodes with pineapple and tangerines.
You will love it!!!

foxyroxywines

prttymf8 wrote:It's awesome. I first tried a Gewurtz at a wine festival in NJ. It's got a nice crispness to it, not very sweet but also not too dry. Similar to a viognier, except not so...I guess thick would be the word.

That's all I've got, forgive my lack of technical wine knowledge. It's a good wine, everyone should buy some.

Try paring this wine with mild cheese, Asian foods or pork for a delicious combination!!!

foxyroxywines

jeeperwoot wrote:We have Laughing Cat Gewurztraminer with Turkey everything Thanksgiving. pairs well. might have to give this one a whirl this year.

Foxy Roxy will make a hit at your Thanksgiving table. Who doesn't want an elegant woman with their dining experience!! You will love it!!

foxyroxywines

neilfindswine wrote:Not sweet. I'd call 'off-dry'. A subtle, approachable, food-friendly Gewurtztraminer. Not super acidic, soft and mellow.

I think you hit nail on the head! Cheers!!!

foxyroxywines

shushine999 wrote:OMGOMGOMGOMG!!! Gveurtz....Guertsim........Girtszim.....MY FAVORITE WINE!!!

Hey, check out the web site and StoneRidgevineyards@ msn.com and you'll fall in love with it!!!

foxyroxywines

Check out our website foxyroxywines.com or stonevineyards@ msn.com and you can actually see where the grapes are estate grown.
Thanks FOXY

foxyroxywines

Hey Texas, Try the Gewurzt. on a warm day and you'll love it. It's made alasce style by a french wine maker...