WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Just Joshin California Red Table Wine(4)

Speed to First Woot:
1m 42.113s
First Sucker:
unwoofer
Last Wooter to Woot:
jatha
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 32% of Wine Woots
Top 49% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 23% of Wine Woots
Bottom 28% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 0% first woot
  • 2% second woot
  • 14% < 10 woots
  • 17% < 25 woots
  • 67% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 5% one month old
  • 10% one year old
  • 86% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 95% bought 1
  • 5% bought 2
  • 0% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
81%
19%
0%
0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1613 Private Messages Cesare

Just Joshin California Red Table Wine 4-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $99.20) 40% off List Price
2010 Just Joshin California Red Table Wine
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

billmoore


quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmoore

Where is Ceaser? Nevermind thought I had bet him (darn slow computer)!

No Links???

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein

Hi folks,

I'm here again to launch a new wine; happy to answer questions, so fire away!

Josh

Stein Family Wine Group

billmoore


quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmoore
billmoore wrote:Where is Ceaser? Nevermind thought I had bet him (darn slow computer)!

No Links???

He is editing that's how he does it!

cynthylee


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
JoshStein wrote:Hi folks,

I'm here again to launch a new wine; happy to answer questions, so fire away!

Josh



Hi Josh--Wow! You are quick on the draw. Especially during a woot!off. Tell me what this wine goes well with and what is the drinking window? I'm assuming a "table wine" is drinkable now? Happy to see you here.
Cheers!

billmoore


quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmoore
JoshStein wrote:Hi folks,

I'm here again to launch a new wine; happy to answer questions, so fire away!

Josh



Aging and drinking window please?

PocketBrain


quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

can I still drink this if I don't have a red table?

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
cynthylee wrote:Hi Josh--Wow! You are quick on the draw. Especially during a woot!off. Tell me what this wine goes well with and what is the drinking window? I'm assuming a "table wine" is drinkable now? Happy to see you here.
Cheers!



I've been waiting for two days to talk about this one with you folks!

First, here's score/notes, as I know some of you want all the info: http://www.tastings.com/scout_wine.lasso?id=200442

I made this in style of big fruit but so it would go with a range of foods. Anything roasted, anything that needs big red and black fruits, this is the wine. My style as a winemaker keeps the alcohols down and the acids up, which means better pairings across the board. I've also had it with figs and chèvre, and it's been great.

Drinking window-wise, I'd give it five to eight years: the goal is to be fun, drinkable, and enjoyable now, but with the acidity and TA where they are, this will age for a while, too.

Stein Family Wine Group

chejason1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chejason1
billmoore wrote:Where is Ceaser? Nevermind thought I had bet him (darn slow computer)!

No Links???



chejason1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chejason1

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
PocketBrain wrote:can I still drink this if I don't have a red table?



Yes, but don't spill it or you will :-P

Stein Family Wine Group

cynthylee


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

Drinking window-wise, I'd give it five to eight years: the goal is to be fun, drinkable, and enjoyable now, but with the acidity and TA where they are, this will age for a while, too.[/quote]

I'm in for one Josh! Looking forward to it.

Last Wooter to Woot:cynthylee Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
cynthylee wrote:Drinking window-wise, I'd give it five to eight years: the goal is to be fun, drinkable, and enjoyable now, but with the acidity and TA where they are, this will age for a while, too.



I'm in for one Josh! Looking forward to it.

Last Wooter to Woot:cynthylee Last Purchase:a few seconds ago[/quote]

Most excellent--thanks and enjoy!

Stein Family Wine Group

hunttech


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hunttech
JoshStein wrote:I've been waiting for two days to talk about this one with you folks!
... Drinking window-wise, I'd give it five to eight years: the goal is to be fun, drinkable, and enjoyable now, but with the acidity and TA where they are, this will age for a while, too.



This is why Woot! is very cool... up-to-the-second forum posts with answers from the winemaker. I'm in for one now that the Peoples' Republic of Maryland lets us ship in!

jhkey


quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Hi Josh,
Is the low alcohol and high acidity intentional in your style, or a result of the 2010 vintage? (I think it was cooler with late rains?)
BTW, it's a style I prefer.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
jhkey wrote:Hi Josh,
Is the low alcohol and high acidity intentional in your style, or a result of the 2010 vintage? (I think it was cooler with late rains?)
BTW, it's a style I prefer.



Good question. '10 (and '09 and '11, for that matter) was problematic for some growers because of early- and late-season weather issues. One of things about not being an estate winemaker is that I'm not tied to just what one individual place gives me. Sometimes, that can be fantastic, but sometimes not.

I work with a range of vineyards from a lot of areas throughout the North Bay, Central Coast, and Amador/Lodi, so I can generally find what I need. This wine is actually the remainders of another appellation-level wine launching next week, and it's considerably more expensive because of the grapes, not because of the inherent "betterness" of the product. With this one, you're getting what I designed for: a Cab-Zin blend in the style of other more well-known and more expensive wines which will work with food as they do but at a much more reasonable, everyday-drinking price for all concerned. I hate to see good wine sit on a shelf--I want it enjoyed!

And I did that by intentionally choosing for good flavors but not excessive Brix levels and by blending for a wine which keeps the acids up. I like to explain it as applying a white all-steel winemaker's attention to detail to reds, if that makes sense.

Stein Family Wine Group

brmcclin


quality posts: 3 Private Messages brmcclin

Hi Josh, glad to see you involved with your wine. Couple questions: Source of the grapes used, and Cooperage: Oak type French vs American, how many months, and % new vs used 1 yr, 2 yr etc. Always welcome input on how the wine was produced and why.

Red and Dry
A likely Buy

tkastorff


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

was going to say this is pretty expensive for what I consider table wine, but winemaker comments forced me to jump. In for 1. Look forward to trying this.

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
brmcclin wrote:Hi Josh, glad to see you involved with your wine. Couple questions: Source of the grapes used, and Cooperage: Oak type French vs American, how many months, and % new vs used 1 yr, 2 yr etc. Always welcome input on how the wine was produced and why.



Well, I'll do the best I can. There are two different Cab lots, one from Napa and one from Central Coast around Livermore; the Zin is from Amador; the Cab Franc is North Coast--a special, hidden vineyard (ssh!); and the Merlot is (south) Napa. It's a hodgepodge, but in a good way, in other words.

Oak-wise, I mostly use one- and two-year old, mix of French and American. I know some people swear by their preferences, but, honestly, I pay much more attention to the chemistry and kinetics than oak sources. My "love" as a winemaker is all-steel whites because they fully show off the skills with nothing to hide behind, and I bring that into oaked whites and reds, too, in the sense that I want good things to be happening each step along the way and therefore don't have to play coverup with heavy oaking, high alcohol, or any number of other dark arts we can practice upon a wine.

Stein Family Wine Group

jazztime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazztime

Waiting on some Ty wine - hope it shows up

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
tkastorff wrote:was going to say this is pretty expensive for what I consider table wine, but winemaker comments forced me to jump. In for 1. Look forward to trying this.



I hear you--I buy wine, too!--but in California's North Coast region, at least, we use RTW to mean something a little different than other regions'/countries' usages. Often times, our blends, at whatever price point, are our best wines. Promise.

Stein Family Wine Group

brmcclin


quality posts: 3 Private Messages brmcclin
JoshStein wrote:Well, I'll do the best I can. There are two different Cab lots, one from Napa and one from Central Coast around Livermore; the Zin is from Amador; the Cab Franc is North Coast--a special, hidden vineyard (ssh!); and the Merlot is (south) Napa. It's a hodgepodge, but in a good way, in other words.

Oak-wise, I mostly use one- and two-year old, mix of French and American. I know some people swear by their preferences, but, honestly, I pay much more attention to the chemistry and kinetics than oak sources. My "love" as a winemaker is all-steel whites because they fully show off the skills with nothing to hide behind, and I bring that into oaked whites and reds, too, in the sense that I want good things to be happening each step along the way and therefore don't have to play coverup with heavy making, high alcohol, or any number of other dark arts we can practice upon a wine.



Thanks for the reply. Look forward to trying Joshin Red wine. Know your not joshin' on how good it is. It's also great that you donate 5% of sales to children of Vineyard workers towards their education.

Red and Dry
A likely Buy

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
brmcclin wrote:Thanks for the reply. Look forward to trying Joshin Red wine. Know your not joshin' on how good it is. It's also great that you donate 5% of sales to children of Vineyard workers towards their education.



And thank you--nothing worse than good wines which sit unenjoyed!

And yes, we do things a bit differently than most others in the wine business in many ways, not least of which is our refusal to attempt to build a future for our twins while stepping on the backs of others' kids. I won't get on my high horse, but if you're interested, please read steinfamilywines.com/donations for the backstory

Stein Family Wine Group

DeltaNu1142


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeltaNu1142

Good price, and I was pleased to see the vintner posting up & involved, so I'm in for four bottles.

Besides... my name is Josh, too... I never get tired of hearing, "Just Joshin'"... *rolleyes* :P

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
JoshStein wrote:Well, I'll do the best I can. There are two different Cab lots, one from Napa and one from Central Coast around Livermore; the Zin is from Amador; the Cab Franc is North Coast--a special, hidden vineyard (ssh!); and the Merlot is (south) Napa. It's a hodgepodge, but in a good way, in other words.

Oak-wise, I mostly use one- and two-year old, mix of French and American. I know some people swear by their preferences, but, honestly, I pay much more attention to the chemistry and kinetics than oak sources. My "love" as a winemaker is all-steel whites because they fully show off the skills with nothing to hide behind, and I bring that into oaked whites and reds, too, in the sense that I want good things to be happening each step along the way and therefore don't have to play coverup with heavy oaking, high alcohol, or any number of other dark arts we can practice upon a wine.



Josh, I'm in for 1, you drew me in! I can imagine the sparkle in your eye when you talk wine. Thanks for all the great information!

-T

DeltaNu1142


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeltaNu1142
DeltaNu1142 wrote:Good price, and I was pleased to see the vintner posting up & involved, so I'm in for four bottles.

Besides... my name is Josh, too... I never get tired of hearing, "Just Joshin'"... *rolleyes* :P


...well that was close. For some reason, Woot had my birthyear as 2007. Apparently you can't legally buy wine online if you're three & a half years old.

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
DeltaNu1142 wrote:Good price, and I was pleased to see the vintner posting up & involved, so I'm in for four bottles.

Besides... my name is Josh, too... I never get tired of hearing, "Just Joshin'"... *rolleyes* :P



And thank you--Josh!

I know, I know--but what's the point of being a winemaker if you can't make fun of yourself on your own labels? That was one of the things that drew me to Bonny Dewn back in the dark ages of the 1990s--I figured, why shouldn't I make my wines, and their labels, the way I wanted since I was going to have to sell them (and drink 'em if they didn't)? It's ever-so-much easier to sell what you believe in and enjoy, btw

Stein Family Wine Group

JoshStein


quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
tdedek wrote:Josh, I'm in for 1, you drew me in! I can imagine the sparkle in your eye when you talk wine. Thanks for all the great information!

-T



And thank you--yes, I enjoy this since it's still not what I get to do all day, every day, so when I can, I want it to be as good for all concerned as it possibly can be. With only 168 hours in a week, I try to spend mine on good things

Thanks folks--enjoy!

Stein Family Wine Group

rjquillin


quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Meetings; arrreghhhh!
Missed this one, and from the numbers and blend sounds like it could have been pretty tasty in a style I prefer.

CT