Cesare

quality posts: 1594 Private Messages Cesare

One Vines 2008 Secret White 6-Pack
$65.99 (Normally $155.62) 58% off List Price
2008 Secret White Blend, Columbia Valley

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

WT-F?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

$66 to find out what kind of wine this is?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

This wine is badly in need of a labrat

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
bolligra wrote:$66 to find out what kind of wine this is?

Just think "Health Care Bill" and you can sell it to some of the people, even if they don't like it...

I'm tempted.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Vintage: 2008
Place: Columbia Valley
Vineyard: ?
Soil: ?
Alcohol: Balanced
T.A.: Higher than you'd expect
pH yes
Varietal Blend: ?
Production: Small
Oak : None
Resist the temptation to categorize and judge, and just enjoy an honest wine. What, where, when, how and why may not be as important as silently sipping. Revel in this little secret.

Uh... NO!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

krobart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krobart

Hoping this will be gem! But, if it is, it'll be my little secret. I'm in! I love a mystery.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

More reds please.

DrCourt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DrCourt

Dumb marketing scheme backfires. Not buying if I don't know what it is. Very disappointing. Next please.

rugrats2001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001

10% chance of buying white mystery wine in the spring, 0% chance in the fall.

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong

The label says it contains sulphites. Yuch! Not for me. :-)

gcason

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gcason

Intriguing, but I'd really like to know the RS for this one.

Wife very much prefers dry whites.

A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover. -Clifton Paul Fadiman

nmsoonergirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmsoonergirl

I LOVE a good floral albarino, but I doubt that is the mystery variety, and I agree with a PP that I can't commit to 6 bottles without knowing the residual sugar--it it ends up being sweet the wine would be useless to us. And the "honeyed" in the description certainly makes it sound sweet. To bad this wasn't offered as a three bottle offering.

candlesticky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages candlesticky
kylemittskus wrote:Vintage: 2008
Place: Columbia Valley
Vineyard: ?
Soil: ?
Alcohol: Balanced
T.A.: Higher than you'd expect
pH yes
Varietal Blend: ?
Production: Small
Oak : None
Resist the temptation to categorize and judge, and just enjoy an honest wine. What, where, when, how and why may not be as important as silently sipping. Revel in this little secret.

Uh... NO!

4 years is getting a bit long in the tooth (twig?) for a "honeyed, floral" white.

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

Now if we knew this was produced secretly by one of 5 or so WW favorites (SH, Wellington, Ty etc) that would be intriguing. However since for all I know it was made by Otis from Mayberry, an easy pass.

MoveoverCinderella

quality posts: 3 Private Messages MoveoverCinderella

I like Chards...but this does not look dark enough for the ones I tend to buy (so guessing it's not Chard) and the only other thing I could find is the 14% ALC. Just gonna save my $$ and wait for the next offerings.

Love it or leave it!

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong
nmsoonergirl wrote:I LOVE a good floral albarino, but I doubt that is the mystery variety, and I agree with a PP that I can't commit to 6 bottles without knowing the residual sugar--it it ends up being sweet the wine would be useless to us. And the "honeyed" in the description certainly makes it sound sweet. To bad this wasn't offered as a three bottle offering.

Yeah, if we didn't already know Woot was being run by a high school kid to keep costs down, I'd say someone in the Marketing Department would be getting a tongue-lashing for this offering.

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

Quaffmor on sale at Woot+ for about the same price, known commodity. Just sayin'.

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt

Here's a description for the 2008 from a website I found:

Tasting Note
The Secret is a blend of several white grape varieties. It has a complex, intriguing nose of honeysuckle, lemon zest, white melon and orange rose petals. The perfume itself is simply intoxicating. With a vibrant freshness in the mouth, but enough viscosity to have real substance, this is an easy afternoon sipper. Finishes long and clean.

Food Pairing
Serve with fresh seafood, especially grilled white fish drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and garnished with lemon and parsley.

Winemaker's Tasting Note
The nose has a lemon custard zippy quality, but it's layered with intrigue. No oak here, just pure juice. There is a honeyed tropicalia flavor to the Secret, yet it has a weight and body that gives a lip-smacking yum quality. It's hard not to throw this wine back in gulps, so I've started serving it with a straw to slow the intake.

nmsoonergirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmsoonergirl
nfurlong wrote:Yeah, if we didn't already know Woot was being run by a high school kid to keep costs down, I'd say someone in the Marketing Department would be getting a tongue-lashing for this offering.

My initial thought was "this is like a Bucket of Candy wine, only priced WAY above $5." And really, any cheap woot stuff has to be better than a sickly sweet white, IMHO.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
emmabean2000 wrote:Now if we knew this was produced secretly by one of 5 or so WW favorites (SH, Wellington, Ty etc) that would be intriguing. However since for all I know it was made by Otis from Mayberry, an easy pass.

It's by Martellotto who previously brought us the Piro Piro Piccolo Pinot Grigio. They are still selling the 2007 vintage of the "Secret" white wine, for $19.99.

Not sure how much this applies to the 2008 but the notes for the 2007 mention; "This wine is particularly interesting as it was made with skin contact. Sometimes called “orange wines” this wine is not orange. It is however, for the wine lover who appreciates the natural wine process."

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
emmabean2000 wrote:Now if we knew this was produced secretly by one of 5 or so WW favorites (SH, Wellington, Ty etc) that would be intriguing. However since for all I know it was made by Otis from Mayberry, an easy pass.

It says right on the bottle who made it, Martellotto Cellars.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt

I'd give it a try, but they won't ship to Virginia. Too bad.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
hasopt wrote:I'd give it a try, but they won't ship to Virginia. Too bad.

Looks like somebody just hit the Fast Forward button on this deal, what non-wine item will be up next?