Stupoopy


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Stupoopy

I've been following winewoot for some time now, and I was hoping I could get some guidance in general! I've just started drinking wine (and I am still relatively young), so when I drink wine I think "Oh, ah, yes, this tastes...of wine". Clearly this is too expensive for me at this point in time.

How should I go about looking for wine? I mean, just try everything until I figure out what I like/I can discern different tastes? I always get discouraged by wine.woot because everything seems so expensive!

Thanks all :D

Reading the other comments, I'm tempted to buy this and just store it until I'm ready to drink it. Seems like people LOVE these bottles.

rpm


quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

A hearty Welcome Back!! to Peter and his Victory.

This is an autobuy for drinkers of serious Bordeaux-style blends/Cabernet. It's not the same as Napa Valley Cab/Cab Blends, and it doesn't have Rutherford Bench 'special sauce', but it is always an excellent example of what Sonoma county is capable of in this line.

Always fine, it will be interesting to see how the wine develops and compares to the 2005 and 2006 (which Peter has said was his best Victory to date).

Again, Peter is right the wines will continue to improve with cellaring and can be drunk with pleasure now.

Of course, I think 'drink now' is infanticide because of the wonderful development Peter's wines are capable of over time. Anyone who doubts this should ask any 2008 rpm Magical History Tourist about 1994 and 1995 wines he brought to Deuce or any 2012 Veteran Tourist about the vertical of Peter's Cab going back into the mists of time.

My view is that 10 is the sweet spot to begin drinking wines of the quality of Peter's Cabs, because by then you can be pretty sure they will be past any 'dumb' phase, will be developing bottle bouquet, but will still retain good fruit flavors and aromas.

After that, it's chacun à son goût: just as some prefer the fresh charms of the just-nubile maiden, others taste runs to the fully mature and experienced woman whose depth matches or exceeds her youthful beauty.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kevlarklh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevlarklh

Ahhh! Wellington my good friend is back. This is an auto-buy for me, I'm in for three. I really need to invest in a wine cellar cuz Woot keeps selling Wellington and Peter Harvey among others, jeesh!

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Stupoopy wrote:I've been following winewoot for some time now, and I was hoping I could get some guidance in general! I've just started drinking wine (and I am still relatively young), so when I drink wine I think "Oh, ah, yes, this tastes...of wine". Clearly this is too expensive for me at this point in time.

How should I go about looking for wine? I mean, just try everything until I figure out what I like/I can discern different tastes? I always get discouraged by wine.woot because everything seems so expensive!

Thanks all :D

Reading the other comments, I'm tempted to buy this and just store it until I'm ready to drink it. Seems like people LOVE these bottles.


You are on the right track. See rpm's signature on the post following yours. As you get started, the main thing is to try a lot of different wines and see what you like. Then start to discern why you like them, etc. and you'll be able to determine what wines and styles you like.

If you can buy these and hold them, likely you will be happy down the road. Though, you may decide you don't like Cabernet. Watch the plus deals. There are lower price point offers but usually with more bottles to balance out the costs. But you can get mixed case offers as a way to try several different wines from the same producer. Just watch the discussion to make sure folks think they are decent wines.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
aces219 wrote:No more taxsucks code. I figured they'd close that loophole eventually, it was only a matter of time.



Wow, glad I used it one last time two days ago on the Vino Noceto. They must have shut it down right after that one.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

jmealey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmealey

why can I get wellington shipped as club member to NH but not from woot?

dsapp


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Only my second wine.woot purchase in the last year. I agree that this is an auto-buy. I wish I felt the same more often around here.

jpjaynes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpjaynes

Like others-- hard to resist some of these offers. Anything with 2007 cab, just grabs my attention!

IWantSomeWine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IWantSomeWine

Not a fan of the new woot "list price." Anyone know how much two bottles of this would go for (MSRP)? I'm not interested in factoring any taxes/shipping for my own person records.

lrbuchanan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lrbuchanan

Wellington used to ship to NH. Wha happen? (sad face)

p2002


quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002
polarbear22 wrote:You are on the right track. See rpm's signature on the post following yours. As you get started, the main thing is to try a lot of different wines and see what you like. Then start to discern why you like them, etc. and you'll be able to determine what wines and styles you like.



This is why I like visiting the discussion boards here on WW. TY PB22, the kind outreach of an encouraging (later enabling) hand is what makes this 'place' a welcome, informative and worthy visit for who choose to come. On a similar note, for much the same reason, it was nice to see Night Ghost pop back in the other day.
Best,
RK
and in for 1..., Now!

Winedavid39


quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

cortot20 wrote:I know a quick and painless way to get rid of it.
Offer a verticle in the up and coming woot-off. I'll gladly help make room for the 07'



Now that is a grand idea..

So great to have Perer with us again.

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

I've not been at all good this year, but this 1/2 case of 2007 Victory will do much to change that, but the direction of that still unknown..

CT

rntonp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rntonp
SonomaBouliste wrote:You pay too much attention. We're a bit behind the times at the winery tasting room. We still have a handful of 2004, 2005 and 2006 Victory for sale.



I'm available to volunteer in the tasting room if you need help with "inventory" - burp!

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
chipgreen wrote:It's the new math.

Tax and shipping from the winery are added to the retail price, then woot's $5 shipping is subtracted to come up with a "real world" price to compare.

EDIT: Welcome back! I really enjoyed visiting your vineyard with the rpm tour this past summer.




We did open a couple of bottles of 2007 Victory at the RPM bbq at winedavid's house, so I know some of the tourists got to try it this summer

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
klezman wrote:Absolutely, I just prefer mine a bit more on the aged side. Maybe too much listening to rpm, as if there's such a thing.

Now I've got 3 of the 05 (one was a prize from the 2010 blending competition! Yes I'm proud of that one.) and now 4 each of the 06 and 07 waiting. That reminds me...how are the 05 and 06 single vineyard cabs doing? I still am not sure what to make of them and when to open which ones.



The '05s and 06's are both drinking very well and will continue on for several years more. The Mohrhardt Ridge is the softest of the group. Karren is the biggest and most ageworthy - the '05 continues to get better (subjective) with more age

mmarstall


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmarstall
deasmusico wrote:Peter, how come I can get your wine shipped to Kansas from woot, but not from the winery directly? The only thing about Wellington that makes me even a little sad is that I can only ever get the wine from woot. I would most certainly be a wine club member...if only. Now, the wine. What a wonderful end/beginning to the day. The '06 was truly spectacular. Still holding one of them thank goodness. Looking forward to gifting this offering to myself and my dad. Thanks PW!



I second the request for adding KS to the club list.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
ThunderThighs wrote:We add a low sales tax and low shipping cost (minus $5) to better reflect a comparative cost to the wooter. We tended to have a lot of people declare something "not a deal" without taking shipping into account from the winery vs from us.



Doh, I get it now.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
IWantSomeWine wrote:Not a fan of the new woot "list price." Anyone know how much two bottles of this would go for (MSRP)? I'm not interested in factoring any taxes/shipping for my own person records.



$60 a bottle

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
rntonp wrote:I'm available to volunteer in the tasting room if you need help with "inventory" - burp!



We're not in any hurry.

Winedavid39


quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

SonomaBouliste wrote:We did open a couple of bottles of 2007 Victory at the RPM bbq at winedavid's house, so I know some of the tourists got to try it this summer



ah yes, what a great night. and a wine to match it.

bkarlan


quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
klezman wrote:<---- note the new black square!



I am thinking you needed the quality booze to help numb the mind of the recent screaming that has been added to your house. J/K

In all seriousness congrats on your little one. Hope you get time to enjoy your wine.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

lurcher


quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher
aces219 wrote:No more taxsucks code. I figured they'd close that loophole eventually, it was only a matter of time.



Likely having to deal with Amazon now charging tax in multiple states (including her in TX).

Selling out to the "man"....

Now I have to price compare even more and rethink the prime membership until that applies over here.

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

OK, that gives me the 04-07 Victory vertical. Of course, now the pressure will be to open all four in a single evening. Something to look forward to, for sure.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rlmanzo


quality posts: 24 Private Messages rlmanzo

Hi Peter,

Love your wines.

Could you compare/contrast the 2007 to the 2006 Victory Reserve?

2006 was fantastic.

I know 2007 was a great year in Sonoma.

Thanks.

Is it broke or just fractured?

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

And check the link in my signature below for about a year's worth of collected blogs from Peter - Random Ramblings of a Weary Winemaker - and the ensueing discussions. (I think I have to update this with a few more blogs done after the regular series ended.)

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

slm9951


quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
mschauber wrote:It's like electoral college math;

$76 is the popular vote: Pretty to look at, but meaningless.

$60 is the electoral college vote: The only thing that matters unless you you don't like it then you pay off (let) the 9 judges on the supreme court decide.
Amen to that voting thing!! Do your own research and pay no attention to the media!!
Wine.Woot "List Price" is the behind closed door decision of the supreme court.

BTW, Tuesday Nov 6th, 2012 is the one day this year you should put selfishness aside and perform your civic duty by voting. Hopefully having already educated yourself on all the candidates and races on your local ballot (and NOT by watching political commercials or reading political mailings.)


Amen to that voting thing!! Do your own research and pay no attention to the media!!!

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bkarlan wrote:I am thinking you needed the quality booze to help numb the mind of the recent screaming that has been added to your house. J/K

In all seriousness congrats on your little one. Hope you get time to enjoy your wine.



Ummmm... I do not think Klez has a new little one.... Kyle, yes, joelsisk, soon, cortot possibly.... Not Klez as far as I know...

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20


quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20
cmaldoon wrote:Ummmm... I do not think Klez has a new little one.... Kyle, yes, joelsisk, soon, cortot possibly.... Not Klez as far as I know...




He's not little. He's mega baby.

CT

guzmantis


quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis

The 2006 Victory Reserve was my first actual wine purchase from Wine.Woot... It also happens to be one of the best I've had to date. In for one; I only wish I could afford more!

lassow


quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Haven't been purchasing too much w.w lately, but this is very tempting. These 2 could look pretty next our lonesome last bottle of '05 VR.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

jhkey


quality posts: 52 Private Messages jhkey
cmaldoon wrote:Ummmm... I do not think Klez has a new little one.... Kyle, yes, joelsisk, soon, cortot possibly.... Not Klez as far as I know...



And our son just came on Wednesday! That's 2 for us now, where's the line for a vasectomy?

I tried this at WD's dinner on the RPM tour and it was great, didn't take tasting notes and it was the end of long tasting day, but I do remember noting it as an autobuy (always is )

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

Winedavid39


quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

cortot20 wrote:He's not little. He's mega baby.



how big? Also, are you factoring in tax and shipping?

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
rlmanzo wrote:Hi Peter,

Love your wines.

Could you compare/contrast the 2007 to the 2006 Victory Reserve?

2006 was fantastic.

I know 2007 was a great year Sonoma.

Thanks.



2007 is more elegant and sophisticated. The alcohol is lower and the tannins are a bit softer, so it is easier drinking young. The 2006 was more of an in-your-face style, and I'm guessing Mr. Parker would prefer the '06 if he had these two side by side. I think the 2007 has more fruit intensity; it's definitely less herbaceous in nature than the '05, and somewhat less so than the '06. Lots of cassis, blackberry and kirsch (cherry liqueur) aromas.

hyetylidie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hyetylidie

In for double! First Victory purchase. I don't know how long I'll be able to hold out on tasting the first bottle... (is there a suggested absolute minimum amount of time? I guess that's too subjective of a question based on prior posts)

Thank you Peter. I've loved every bottle I've ever tried with your name on it (even a Merlot).

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
kylemittskus wrote:I like the ingredients section in the Specs tab. No MegaPurple or Red, huh PW?



Also no micro-ox, no enzymes, no added tannins or mannoproteins, no gum arabic, etc.

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
Winedavid39 wrote:ah yes, what a great night. and a wine to match it.

And precisely why I went for the max..

CT

rpm


quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm
SonomaBouliste wrote:2007 is more elegant and sophisticated. The alcohol is lower and the tannins are a bit softer, so it is easier drinking young. The 2006 was more of an in-your-face style, and I'm guessing Mr. Parker would prefer the '06 if he had these two side by side. I think the 2007 has more fruit intensity; it's definitely less herbaceous in nature than the '05, and somewhat less so than the '06. Lots of cassis, blackberry and kirsch (cherry liqueur) aromas.



Given your description, it sounds to me like the 2007 will actually be the longer-lived wine, though, assuming the 'softer' tannins are adequate. Sounds better long-term balanced, though the pH is just a touch higher than I'd like to see.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

canonizer


quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
ThunderThighs wrote:We add a low sales tax and low shipping cost (minus $5) to better reflect a comparative cost to the wooter. We tended to have a lot of people declare something "not a deal" without taking shipping into account from the winery vs from us.



I actually think that's a bit misleading, especially considering how price sensitive this audience is.

signed.

yorknh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh

WD needs to find the next up-and-coming Scott Harvey/Peter Wellington...preferably one that will ship to NH.