Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1592 Private Messages Cesare

Peter Wellington 2007 Victory Reserve 2-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $145.25*) 48% off List Price
2007 Wellington Victory Reserve
CT link above

Winery website

• Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.
  • *Now Includes winery srp, (lowest) sales tax and shipping.

Previous offers:
    11/10/10 (2006)
    9/24/09 (2005)
    3/3/08 (2004)
  • -il Cesare
    Sole Absolute Triple
    Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
    “In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

And I've been doing so well not buying.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
    mikegberg wrote:And I've been doing so well not buying.

Me too.....

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I like the ingredients section in the Specs tab. No MegaPurple or Red, huh PW?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dmacke99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dmacke99
    karenhynes wrote:Me too.....

+1 and +1. up off the bench after almost 3 months.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

I really liked the price on the 06'.
    But this is still very tempting.

Why is the 05' still listed as the current vintage at the winery when the the 06' has been for sale here a number of times over the last couple of years. The 06' never got a winery release and now were seeing the 07' for sale. What gives?

CT

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste

Good evening / good morning, dependingg on where you are. Peter Wellington here. We're coming down the home stretch of harvest, with 5 AM picks today (Th) and tomorrow, so I won't be sticking around very long tonight. I will check in the morning for questions, etc.

SonomaBouliste

cortot20 wrote:I really liked the price on the 06'.
    But this is still very tempting.

Why is the 05' still listed as the current vintage at the winery when the the 06' has been for sale here a number of times over the last couple of years. The 06' never got a winery release and now were seeing the 07' for sale. What gives?

You pay too much attention. We're a bit behind the times at the winery tasting room. We still have a handful of 2004, 2005 and 2006 Victory for sale.

SonomaBouliste

kylemittskus wrote:I like the ingredients section in the Specs tab. No MegaPurple or Red, huh PW?

What, and risk getting 95 points? It'd make my life Hell.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

<---- note the new black square!

Even with the increase in price, Victory Reserve is one of the only absolute autobuys from Wellington. I've got no room, especially for something that needs another 5+ years. Dang.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
    2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
    SonomaBouliste wrote:You pay too much attention. We're a bit behind the times at the winery tasting room. We still have a handful of 2004, 2005 and 2006 Victory for sale.

I know a quick and painless way to get rid of it.
    Offer a verticle in the up and coming woot-off. I'll gladly help make room for the 07'

CT

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

Just curious. How many barrels were produced of this vintage? Type of yeast?
    Always good to see you back PW. look forward to your comments.

hillig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig

I have some of 2006 from a previous offering (haven't popped it yet).

Is the 'Victory Reserve' bottled each year, or only those with exceptional harvests?

spk1321

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spk1321

Yes please. Gotta figure out if I can afford this, but thoroughly enjoyed the 2005 and still sitting on two bottles of the 2006. Any particular reason this one is $10 more per bottle than the last offering?

SonomaBouliste

klezman wrote:<---- note the new black square!

Even with the increase in price, Victory Reserve is one of the only absolute autobuys from Wellington. I've got no room, especially for something that needs another 5+ years. Dang.

Doesn't "need", but will certainly improve with five more years.

Whoa, I just noticed the "list price" and discounts. Not true. We did raise the price, but to $60, not $72.625.

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
    klezman wrote:<---- note the new black square!

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002
    SonomaBouliste wrote:Doesn't "need", but will certainly improve with five more years.

Whoa, I just noticed the "list price" and discounts. Not true. We did raise the price, but to $60, not $72.625.

Looks like they add sales tax to the base price now.

SonomaBouliste

p2002 wrote:Just curious. How many barrels were produced of this vintage? Type of yeast?
    Always good to see you back PW. look forward to your comments.

20 barrels at blending, 19+ by the time we bottled. Type of yeast? - that's a pretty geeky question. Different yeasts for different varieties and vineyards. This answer will have to wait until I'm at the winery tomorrow, where I can look at the 2007 fermentation log book.

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

So - the 06 was a Black Tie buy at $59.99 for 2 last time it was up, but this isn't? Does the black tie not exist anymore?

I went in for 2 of the 06 which I haven't tried yet, so with another 2 of the 07 I guess I'm now working on my vertical.

btw - on a slight tangent, I recently opened a bottle each of the Wellington 01 and 02 Syrah mini vertical. The 02 was absolutely fantastic. The 01 wasn't great - it just seemed flat in comparison. I noticed the bottom of the cork had quite a heavy deposit of crystals - does that mean there was potentially an issue with the bottle - or that just happens sometimes?

SonomaBouliste

p2002 wrote:Looks like they add sales tax to the base price now.

That's a lot of sales tax; I have no idea where that figure came from.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
    SonomaBouliste wrote:Doesn't "need", but will certainly improve with five more years.

It's the new math.

Tax and shipping from the winery are added to the retail price, then woot's $5 shipping is subtracted to come up with a "real world" price to compare.

EDIT: Welcome back! I really enjoyed visiting your vineyard with the rpm tour this past summer.

SonomaBouliste

hillig wrote:I have some of 2006 from a previous offering (haven't popped it yet).

Is the 'Victory Reserve' bottled each year, or only those with exceptional harvests?

It is only bottled when we can make a special wine. We've made 10 vintages of Victory in our frst 23 years. No 2010 or 2011 Victory, but I'm sure there will be a 2012. It's been a great vintage so far.

SonomaBouliste

spk1321 wrote:Yes please. Gotta figure out if I can afford this, but thoroughly enjoyed the 2005 and still sitting on two bottles of the 2006. Any particular reason this one is $10 more per bottle than the last offering?

It's a combination of increased costs and my perception of the wine's quality.

SonomaBouliste

dalematthew wrote:So - the 06 was a Black Tie buy at $59.99 for 2 last time it was up, but this isn't? Does the black tie not exist anymore?

I went in for 2 of the 06 which I haven't tried yet, so with another 2 of the 07 I guess I'm now working on my vertical.

btw - on a slight tangent, I recently opened a bottle each of the Wellington 01 and 02 Syrah mini vertical. The 02 was absolutely fantastic. The 01 wasn't great - it just seemed flat in comparison. I noticed the bottom of the cork had quite a heavy deposit of crystals - does that mean there was potentially an issue with the bottle - or that just happens sometimes?

That happens to all red with aging, particularly those that are not overmanipulated. Our wines are unfined and not cold stabilized, centrifuged or severly filtered.

klezman

Absolutely, I just prefer mine a bit more on the aged side. Maybe too much listening to rpm, as if there's such a thing.

Now I've got 3 of the 05 (one was a prize from the 2010 blending competition! Yes I'm proud of that one.) and now 4 each of the 06 and 07 waiting. That reminds me...how are the 05 and 06 single vineyard cabs doing? I still am not sure what to make of them and when to open which ones.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

We add a low sales tax and low shipping cost (minus $5) to better reflect a comparative cost to the wooter. We tended to have a lot of people declare something "not a deal" without taking shipping into account from the winery vs from us.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
    ••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
    CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
    dalematthew wrote:So - the 06 was a Black Tie buy at $59.99 for 2 last time it was up, but this isn't? Does the black tie not exist anymore?

I too found crystal deposits on the bottom of the cork, but from a different wine purchased here on WW. I thought perhaps it was just from not laying the bottle horizontally while storing. Now I'm curious about this...

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew
    SonomaBouliste wrote:That happens to all red with aging, particularly those that are not overmanipulated. Our wines are unfined and not cold stabilized, centrifuged or severly filtered.

Thanks - yes I've seen it on some other bottles, but seemed to be lesser quality ones. Thanks for the info. That 02 was fabulous.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

So, basically, per the formula stated by WOOT in its asterisk note [*Now Includes winery srp, (lowest) sales tax and shipping], the price of tax and shipping is $12.62 each, right?

Actually ... that may be plausible.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
    SonomaBouliste wrote:That's a lot of sales tax; I have no idea where that figure came from.

It's like electoral college math;

$76 is the popular vote: Pretty to look at, but meaningless.

$60 is the electoral college vote: The only thing that matters unless you you don't like it then you pay off (let) the 9 judges on the supreme court decide.

Wine.Woot "List Price" is the behind closed door decision of the supreme court.

BTW, Tuesday Nov 6th, 2012 is the one day this year you should put selfishness aside and perform your civic duty by voting. Hopefully having already educated yourself on all the candidates and races on your local ballot (and NOT by watching political commercials or reading political mailings.)

--
    Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
    My CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I will buy this wine at almost any price..every vintage I have had is balanced and quality juice.

Thanks Peter!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

spk1321

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spk1321
    SonomaBouliste wrote:It's a combination of increased costs and my perception of the wine's quality.

Ha! Well in that case count me in. =)
    And just did a quick inventory, turns out I have two of the 2006 but only have one bottle of the 2005 left. Don't remember drinking so many of them. =(

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Last wooter to woot:cmaldoon
    Last purchase:a few seconds ago

Peter, I put down your Duke yesterday in the boards (sorry!), but as always, I praise your Victory.

After having purchased a case of your 06's, it is easy to go in for a full 3 sets of these.

This is fantastic wine that is a deal even at $40. If there is ever a wine I would recommend making a cost jump for it is the Wellington Victory (oh ok, Cathy's cabs too) everyone should try some.

I'll find the money and the space to have a fantastic wine from an outrageous year.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
    Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
    My Cellar

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Oh Peter, will we see you at WCC on Thursday? I hope so, your presence and opinions are always appreciated there.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
    Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
    My Cellar

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
    mikegberg wrote:And I've been doing so well not buying.

This...

VIIIIIICCCCCCCTTTTTTTTOOOOOORRRRRRRYYYYYYYY!

CT Updating, please wait....

klezman

coolchris160 wrote:I too found crystal deposits on the bottom of the cork, but from a different wine purchased here on WW. I thought perhaps it was just from not laying the bottle horizontally while storing. Now I'm curious about this...

You'll get sediment of various sorts from quality red wines (and some whites too!). Red wines you'll get tannin coming out of solution with age, and also tartrate crystals (aka wine diamonds). Whites can also throw tartrate crystals with age, e.g. 2006 Gazzi Chardonnay has a bunch. They usually adhere to the cork or fall to the bottom, unlike the tannin that can stick to the glass.

These are good signs of well made wine! Just stand the bottle up for a while before pouring and don't worry if you get a few crystals in your glass. Or if you really care, get a wine strainer like what comes with the red wine Vinturi.

deasmusico

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deasmusico

Peter, how come I can get your wine shipped to Kansas from woot, but not from the winery directly? The only thing about Wellington that makes me even a little sad is that I can only ever get the wine from woot. I would most certainly be a wine club member...if only. Now, the wine. What a wonderful end/beginning to the day. The '06 was truly spectacular. Still holding one of them thank goodness. Looking forward to gifting this offering to myself and my dad. Thanks PW!

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

No more taxsucks code. I figured they'd close that loophole eventually, it was only a matter of time.

berrda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berrda

Hmm, I've been away for a while. When I look at my buying history, seems I only hit the big button for Wellington for the last few years. Never been disappointed.

Last Wooter to Woot:
    berrda