WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

1000 Faces Coffee Company

You've been barely squeezing by on caffeinated powder and syrup-filled iced brown water. Isn't it time you learn what a real bean is? We've got some right here, to get you started on the path to TRUE coffee drinking. Chug-a-lug, sleepyhead.
1000 Faces Coffee official site

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1547 Private Messages Cesare

1000 Faces Coffee Company

1000 Faces Coffee Company 'Spro 4-Pack
$39.99 (Normally $64.00) 38% off List Price
Espresso Savio 2-Pack
Espresso Neruda
Decaf Monk

1000 Faces Coffee Company The Deep 4-Pack
$39.99 (Normally $62.00) 36% off List Price
Aldo's Blend
Selva Negra, Matagalpa, Nicaragua
Finca Las Brisas, Matagalpa, Nicaragua
Espresso Savio

1000 Faces Coffee Company The Bright 4-Pack
$39.99 (Normally $65.00) 38% off List Price
bell's blend
Slow Food Presida, Huehuetenango, Guatemala
Lekempti, Harrar, Ethiopia
Espresso Neruda

1000 Faces Coffee Company The S.O. 4-Pack
$39.99 (Normally $64.00) 38% off List Price
Tarrazu, Costa Rica
Hunapu, Antigua, Guatemala
La Nubia
Lekempti, Harrar, Ethiopia

Previous offers:
5/10/12
1/12/12
8/18/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

burns72

quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72

I might have missed it, but are these packages whole bean or ground?

Stupoopy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Stupoopy
burns72 wrote:I might have missed it, but are these packages whole bean or ground?

This is my question as well! I LOVE coffee, and I LOVE to make it, and $10 a lb seems great, especially if these are good, but if it's ground, I'm off the fence. Whole bean? We'll see what other people have to say about the flavor!

kethyar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kethyar
burns72 wrote:I might have missed it, but are these packages whole bean or ground?

I got one of these deals last year. If its the same, it will be whole beans. They try to roast them right before shipping so they're fresh for you. I stuck mine in an air tight container - in fact I think I still have a few beans left over! I enjoyed the different tastes (the only names I recognize on here from mine is Aldo's Blend and perhaps one of the Espresso ones). I thought all 4 blends were great that I received, and I'm considering picking more up!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus

They're whole bean. Guaranteed.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

whataworld

quality posts: 4 Private Messages whataworld

Hey Woot, hint hint. How about a 4 pack of airtight canisters to hold these, while we're here. I end up feeding my coworkers coffee because I have nowhere decent to store all this.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 40 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

whataworld wrote:Hey Woot, hint hint. How about a 4 pack of airtight canisters to hold these, while we're here. I end up feeding my coworkers coffee because I have nowhere decent to store all this.

i mean, they're not canisters, but....

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
whataworld wrote:Hey Woot, hint hint. How about a 4 pack of airtight canisters to hold these, while we're here. I end up feeding my coworkers coffee because I have nowhere decent to store all this.

It is ok to freeze your beans. It has been discussed in the past coffee beans deals, and that scientifically it has been proven to have little to no effect on the flavor as long as you defrost properly in a dry environment.

I bought these both times it was offered before and I would attest to their high value for the dollar. Great beans, well roasted and it was very freshly made (1 day before it was shipped, another two days to me). Highly recommended.

pragmatist007

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pragmatist007

I'll have to check the site to see what is what. We don't dig the burnt Starbucks junk, and only go with medium to light roasted goodness. That way it tastes good, and all the caffeine hasn't been burned out of the bean!

1000facescoffee

quality posts: 45 Private Messages 1000facescoffee
Stupoopy wrote:This is my question as well! I LOVE coffee, and I LOVE to make it, and $10 a lb seems great, especially if these are good, but if it's ground, I'm off the fence. Whole bean? We'll see what other people have to say about the flavor!

Hello Wooters!

So nice and toasty to be back here on Wine.Woot, this time as part of a Woot Plus deal.

These beans are, in fact, whole bean. We'll be roasting and shipping these next week, so they'll be supa fresh for you.

These four packages are a thorough representation of what we do, more so than a traditional Woot deal. Hope y'all enjoy!

1000faces coffee

1000facescoffee

pragmatist007 wrote:I'll have to check the site to see what is what. We don't dig the burnt Starbucks junk, and only go with medium to light roasted goodness. That way it tastes good, and all the caffeine hasn't been burned out of the bean!

We concur. We do what's called profile roasting, which means we match roast profiles to the terroir of the coffee bean, so that the flavors extracted through the roast combine with the inherent flavors of the bean in the most symbiotic fashion.

We never roast to second crack (when the body and structure of the bean begins to deteriorate).

We prefer to speak in terms like body/richness/brightness/juicy/jammy vs. light/medium/dark.

1000faces coffee

TheEndless

quality posts: 14 Private Messages TheEndless

At the risk of being mocked... what are the chances these could be ground and used (effectively!) in a Keurig? I've never used a custom brew with our Keurig, but I'd love to try moving away from the crazy expensive pre-packaged k-cups.

On a side note, I'd have sworn that yesterday this Woot Plus offering was a wine selection that was listed as being available until the 22nd...(luckily, it's the Pinot Grigio that I'm still on the fence about)...??

TheEndless

mit10s

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mit10s
TheEndless wrote:At the risk of being mocked... what are the chances these could be ground and used (effectively!) in a Keurig? I've never used a custom brew with our Keurig, but I'd love to try moving away from the crazy expensive pre-packaged k-cups.

On a side note, I'd have sworn that yesterday this Woot Plus offering was a wine selection that was listed as being available until the 22nd...(luckily, it's the Pinot Grigio that I'm still on the fence about)...??

These coffee beans are the BEST. Starbucks sells Blonde Roast for 8 to 12 dollars. They use mixed regional beans and roast them in HUGE batches.

1000Faces does it right and you're getting an awesome deal. If you do 1T to 2T coffee per cup your life will be forever changed regardless of method.

Right now I can't decide what to get.

rstclair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rstclair
TheEndless wrote:At the risk of being mocked... what are the chances these could be ground and used (effectively!) in a Keurig? I've never used a custom brew with our Keurig, but I'd love to try moving away from the crazy expensive pre-packaged k-cups.

I bought the 1000 Faces pack when it was last offered on Woot and I'm currently brewing some Bell's Blend or Espresso Savio every day using an Ekobrew cup in my Keurig machine. I use probably close to 2 tablespoons per cup and it tastes great to me.

noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj

I usually drink Starbucks Sumatra, because it's one of the few easily available whole bean dark roast offerings I've found that can stand up to being brewed properly. (SB French Roast is a disaster.) I use an ordinary cone drip brewer, with white paper filters and brewed into a thermal carafe.

I have done side by side tastings of my drip brewed Sumatra with the same beans from the same grind brewed with the Keurig. The drip brewed was the clear winner - stronger, deeper, richer, fuller. That was with with the maximum coffee charge in Keurig unit, and the Keurig set to produce the small size cup (i.e., using the Keurig to get the most potent output).

A Keurig is a convenience machine. If you want to brew good coffee, you need to use equipment that is optimized for brewing, not for convenience. And of course, if you want to take it to the next level beyond me, you would be using a press instead of a drip unit.

If you use this in your Keurig you will likely notice that it an improvement over what your Keurig has been producing. But it will still be short of what you could get if you used the same beans in a setup that makes fewer compromises to the brewing process for the sake of convenience.

And, frankly, when you go the hassle of grinding the small amount of beans needed for the Keurig, loading your freshly ground coffee into the Keurig unit custom adapter, cleaning the spent grounds from the adaper after you are done, waiting for the Keurig to prep for a second round of operation (because you need to go through two brew cycles to get a mug of coffee using the small cup setting on the Keurig),reloading the adapter and recleaning the adapter ... at that point it's really not any more convenient than just grinding your beans for ordinary brewing.

kmc4637

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmc4637

I have a Keurig and rarely brew K-cups in it. That includes the last two woot offerings of 1000 Faces, and now I'm back for more.

rstclair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rstclair
noslensj wrote:I have done side by side tastings of my drip brewed Sumatra with the same beans from the same grind brewed with the Keurig. The drip brewed was the clear winner - stronger, deeper, richer, fuller. That was with with the maximum coffee charge in Keurig unit, and the Keurig set to produce the small size cup (i.e., using the Keurig to get the most potent output).

I'm curious as to which brew cup you used. I find that the Ekobrew makes a really good cup of coffee. The filter outlet design on it seems to allow more flavor to be extracted from the ground coffee. It also has the benefit over the Keurig "My K-Cup" thing because you don't have to remove the K-cup holder to use the Ekobrew.

noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
rstclair wrote:I'm curious as to which brew cup you used. I find that the Ekobrew makes a really good cup of coffee. The filter outlet design on it seems to allow more flavor to be extracted from the ground coffee. It also has the benefit over the Keurig "My K-Cup" thing because you don't have to remove the K-cup holder to use the Ekobrew.

It was my sister's K machine, so it was whatever adapter came with her unit.

That being said, the extraction of flavors from ground coffee is an elution process, and some flavor components simply take more time to be released. Heat and pressure can decrease the time, but only to a point. So I am not the least surprised that the K cup lacked depth, and I suspect strongly that is an inherent limitation in the process; it's one of the compromises to the brewing process that comes with having a K machine.

cromulent1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cromulent1
rstclair wrote:I'm curious as to which brew cup you used. I find that the Ekobrew makes a really good cup of coffee. The filter outlet design on it seems to allow more flavor to be extracted from the ground coffee. It also has the benefit over the Keurig "My K-Cup" thing because you don't have to remove the K-cup holder to use the Ekobrew.

Coincidentally, Ekobrew cups are 38%-46% off on Amazon today. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=xs_gb_AVZOC5QXJLIEO?ie=UTF8&docId=1000839231&pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07SZR9C3E6P4FF4Z51S9

I'm enjoying some French pressed Bell's Blend I picked up on a recent trip to 1000 Faces's hometown of Athens, GA, and eagerly awaiting the arrival of the order I placed here yesterday. I'm very glad that 1000 Faces has had good enough experiences with Woot to keep doing these deals. And the multiple-pack thing for this deal is a nice variation on the previous single-option deals.

Thanks, 1000 Faces, for doing what you do, and enabling me to get more enjoyment from brewing what I brew.

chartles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chartles

so glad the coffees are back...but now I have to choose which 4-pack to buy....you are evil, woot!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 40 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

chartles wrote:so glad the coffees are back...but now I have to choose which 4-pack to buy....you are evil, woot!

what?! just because we're loading people up on alternating doses of wine & liquid stimulants?!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

pragmatist007

1000facescoffee wrote:We concur. We do what's called profile roasting, which means we match roast profiles to the terroir of the coffee bean, so that the flavors extracted through the roast combine with the inherent flavors of the bean in the most symbiotic fashion.

We never roast to second crack (when the body and structure of the bean begins to deteriorate).

We prefer to speak in terms like body/richness/brightness/juicy/jammy vs. light/medium/dark.

Thank you for the reply, I'll be placing an order!

It will be difficult to top our local place (the Roasterie in KCMO), but I'm always on the lookout for quality Go-juice!

pragmatist007

Went with the S.O. offer, although several of those were not on the site. It'll be like a mystery!

1000facescoffee

pragmatist007 wrote:Went with the S.O. offer, although several of those were not on the site. It'll be like a mystery!

Cool!

The Lekempti and Llano Bonito are exclusive to Wine.Woot and our local customers at the moment. We may roll them out soon on our site and other online retailers that carry our beans. Consider it a privilege, given with honor to the mighty Woot shopper.

1000faces coffee

reggaemyelitis

quality posts: 32 Private Messages reggaemyelitis

Not only are these coffees highly recommended, they're mandatory...

“Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.” -- Peter Tosh

xochiluvr

quality posts: 14 Private Messages xochiluvr

A month ago I had no fresh coffee. Now I've got some Molokai Muleskinner, some four barrel friendo blendo, and a friend just picked up a blend from Cool Beans (not too far from 1kFCC) for me.

In a month I'll be forced to open that box of Gevalia that's been sitting in the pantry since last winter, but right now I'm flush.

Decisions, decisions.

eta:

TheEndless wrote:At the risk of being mocked... what are the chances these could be ground and used (effectively!) in a Keurig?

'zon's got at least two 4-cup french presses for between 14 and 18 bucks, with Prime. That's 17oz minus the coffee, so figure that will make 12-15oz coffee. Worth the money.

mit10s

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mit10s
PemberDucky wrote:what?! just because we're loading people up on alternating doses of wine & liquid stimulants?!

Alcohol is a depressant. But, depressant +stimulate is NEVER a good idea.

paxsarah

quality posts: 2 Private Messages paxsarah

Much as it pains me, I think I'm going to have to pass this time. I just looked at the virtual goodie bag for tomorrow's half marathon and it has a coupon for 2 pounds for $20 at 1000 Faces so I'm just going to go that route, without all the pressure of using up four pounds of coffee while it's fresh. Which, by the way, thanks to 1000 Faces for supporting the Athens half marathon!

RRichmo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RRichmo
1000facescoffee wrote:Hello Wooters!

So nice and toasty to be back here on Wine.Woot, this time as part of a Woot Plus deal.

These beans are, in fact, whole bean. We'll be roasting and shipping these next week, so they'll be supa fresh for you.

These four packages are a thorough representation of what we do, more so than a traditional Woot deal. Hope y'all enjoy!

What is the shelf-life for these? I know "the fresher the better" is the correct response, but I don't have a source for good coffee locally. I ordered The Deep yesterday, but am interested in the SO, as well. How long could I reasonably expect a bag to keep?

pragmatist007

RRichmo wrote:What is the shelf-life for these? I know "the fresher the better" is the correct response, but I don't have a source for good coffee locally. I ordered The Deep yesterday, but am interested in the SO, as well. How long could I reasonably expect a bag to keep?

Not that I'm an expert by any means, but I have had bags that were two months on the shelf from our local roaster (the dates are on the back), and I couldn't tell a difference between that, and those that were roasted earlier in the week.

That's sitting on the grocery store shelves in their original sealed bag. Basically no special attempt at preservation at all. Now if you actually take steps to store it, such as sealed bail-top containers, freezers, etc it will maintain its quality much much longer.

I buy for the office, rather than just myself, so at 4 pots a day or so, we don't have it hang around all that long.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

I like dark beans like French Roast. Which assortment would be the best for me ? The Spro pack looks good but decaf ? In a combo pack ? Come on !

chaos14

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chaos14

I have picked this up the last 2 times it has been on woot. We go through it pretty quickly for only being two of us, but even still 4 pounds is a lot so i wrap the packages in tinfoil and put them in the freezer. I have never opened the last one and thought it didnt taste fresh. I find that cheap coffee and k cups taste like bad coffee. starbucks, duncan doughnuts ect. coffee tastes like good coffee. then there is stuff like 1000 faces where it doesn't just taste like coffee, you can really pick out the distinct flavor elements

1000facescoffee

RRichmo wrote:What is the shelf-life for these? I know "the fresher the better" is the correct response, but I don't have a source for good coffee locally. I ordered The Deep yesterday, but am interested in the SO, as well. How long could I reasonably expect a bag to keep?

Some folks believe in a freezer, some folks believe in a vacuum sealer. We recommend, if you're not about to grind and brew you coffee, to store in an air tight container. The most economical and accessible of which is the trusty mason/canning jar. Pour your beans in the jar, screw the lid down tight, and store in a cool, dry, dark place. Like a pantry.

Your beans should be ok for a few weeks. If kept air tight, the beans will have a hard time off gassing and thus releasing may of their aromas and flavor.

All that said, my mother sometimes hangs on to our coffee for months (she lives in Europe) and when I see her and brew some, it still tastes a thousand times better than store bought, long shelf life stuff.

1000faces coffee

1000facescoffee

true559 wrote:I like dark beans like French Roast. Which assortment would be the best for me ? The Spro pack looks good but decaf ? In a combo pack ? Come on !

We'd recommend THE DEEP pack. These are you flavors, if you're into dark. It'll be a good intro to micro batch profile roasting vs. dark, oily, deteriorated french roasts.

1000faces coffee

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559
1000facescoffee wrote:We'd recommend THE DEEP pack. These are you flavors, if you're into dark. It'll be a good intro to micro batch profile roasting vs. dark, oily, deteriorated french roasts.

Order placed !

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
1000facescoffee wrote:We'd recommend THE DEEP pack. These are you flavors, if you're into dark. It'll be a good intro to micro batch profile roasting vs. dark, oily, deteriorated french roasts.

This is what I ordered, I very much look forward to trying these.
Getting properly roasted beans can be a chore.
The first time I had an espresso with properly roasted beans at Blue Bottle, I thought I was going to die, it was so good.
Everything I read about your beans leads me to believe that you guys take a lot of care in what you do as well.

TheEndless

quality posts: 14 Private Messages TheEndless

Thanks for all the comments about brewing in a Keurig. I've ordered a four pack and some ekobrew cups to give it a go!

TheEndless

smeera

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smeera

*sigh* anyone else's tracking information show it should have delivered and has not left the facility or am i just cursed?

meows