MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!

PetiteSirah must be mourning the Game 1 loss of his beloved Spankees.

And one of my favorite scenes about PoiZin

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:CJ is off on vacation & work this week. So here it is ...

List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of October 15th

October
10/19: NorCal #13: Pre-1997 Wines (Santa Clara area)
10/20: Detroit #12: The Last Hurrah
10/25: Haunted Wine Country Connect Open House (Sonoma)
10/27: SoCal #22: Locker-warming party (Irvine)

November
TBD: Austin #1
TBD: Minnesota #?

December
TBD: SoCal #23: Housewarming at Chez Klez(man) (West LA/Culver City)

January 2013
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/24: D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend
(Note: Threads will be created once PSILY site has actual D&D update)

Pending
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Nite all!

Oh, did I mention I anticipate a Woot-off this week?

MarkDaSpark

So tempted by the PS in the Cycles case ... but don't need more wine!!!

I haz a drinking problem you know ...

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

No you have a hoarding problem, not a drinking problem

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

I posted in the Plus thread also, but all the "normal" list prices seem to have increased dramatically since the last offers. Given the actual offer prices appear to be the same for the exact same bottles, it kinda seems like discount inflation to me.... which is something woot traditionally avoids. I hope this isn't a trend.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
joelsisk wrote:I posted in the Plus thread also, but all the "normal" list prices seem to have increased dramatically since the last offers. Given the actual offer prices appear to be the same for the exact same bottles, it kinda seems like discount inflation to me.... which is something woot traditionally avoids. I hope this isn't a trend.

It's because woot is adding the tax and shipping costs to the "normal" list price. (Response in both threads.)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
kylemittskus wrote:It's because woot is adding the tax and shipping costs to the "normal" list price. (Response in both threads.)

Are they adding shipping costs to the woot price side of the equation too, then? I'd hate to think they're comparing the woot prices before shipping to the list price after shipping.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

tiger7610 wrote:No you have a hoarding problem, not a drinking problem

No, a hoarding problem means I never drink or share it. And since zTimBz always complains I bring too much wine, it's not that.

So, no more wine for You!!!

kylemittskus

coynedj wrote:Are they adding shipping costs to the woot price side of the equation too, then? I'd hate to think they're comparing the woot prices before shipping to the list price after shipping.

With the woot prices, you know right there that shipping is $5. With the direct-from-winery price, they're adding it so you're aware. The conversation started in this plus thread.

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:Are they adding shipping costs to the woot price side of the equation too, then? I'd hate to think they're comparing the woot prices before shipping to the list price after shipping.

Shipping has always been a part of the Wine.Woot price, but I've heard from a little bird that the new Free Shipping has impacted WW more. As in I'm not sure any of the $5 (if we order first from WW) goes to WW.

And when jwhite, cheron, or I did the spreadsheets, shipping was always a factor.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

The other thread didn't address my point. Let's use today's offer as an example.

Woot price: $69.99, not including shipping.

List price: $107.90, including shipping.

Discount: 1 - (69.99/107.90) = 35%, as listed on the front page.

But, this is comparing one price without shipping to another price with shipping included. That inflates the discount. If we want a true apples-to-apples comparison, with both measured as a delivered price, it would be:

1 - (74.99/107.90) = 30.5%

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

joelsisk

coynedj wrote:The other thread didn't address my point. Let's use today's offer as an example.

But, this is comparing one price without shipping to another price with shipping included. That inflates the discount. If we want a true apples-to-apples comparison, with both measured as a delivered price, it would be:

this.

and if there is TAX included, well, woot charges tax in some states, doesn't it? Besides, I'm not sure how you could really add "standard" taxes.

Finally, there are plenty of times when even the wineries offer discounted shipping.

I just feel like wine.woot is falling further into mediocrity with the advertising discount angle. How soon until we get the "best web" price also included, as a "better" reflection of actual cost to acquire?

ETA: sorry for bringing this up again, but hadn't seen it from that plus offer thread last week (don't check those threads very often).

WineDavid from linked thread wrote:So- We are adding the low average of sales tax currently absorbed by the winery (enjoy this while it lasts!), and the winery is providing us with the low average cost of shipping the Woot pack being offered to an address in Southern California, MINUS $5, to accurately reflect the difference between purchasing on Woot or purchasing from the winery. (We do this to make sure that it is indeed 'apples to apples'.) And we use the low average of tax and the shipping to California to keep it conservative; a customer in New York or even Colorado (or Michigan!) would be paying a higher shipping charge than we're factoring in, so the savings could be even higher.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
joelsisk wrote:

Non wine.woot pages charge sales taxes in some states, but I believe that wine.woot factors the sales tax into the product price from the outset (so presumably they're selling the same wine for different amounts so that adding on associated taxes brings the total up to the amount you see on the page).

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:The other thread didn't address my point. Let's use today's offer as an example.

Except if you purchase from another Woot first, then there is no $5 shipping added (for now) to the WW purchase. It's only when you purchase from Wine.Woot first, that the $5 shipping is there.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Yawn...what are you guys talking about? (don't answer that)

Let's talk about sparky hoarding, err, stockpiling all his wine. Sadly, I have been stockpiling as well, just not to his level.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
otolith wrote:Yawn...what are you guys talking about? (don't answer that)

Let's talk about sparky hoarding, err, stockpiling all his wine. Sadly, I have been stockpiling as well, just not to his level.

I think he is just asking for a woot invasion of his lockers. We'll form a raiding party, and just show up one day with pitchforks and torches. It'll be great.

otolith

chemvictim wrote:I think he is just asking for a woot invasion of his lockers. We'll form a raiding party, and just show up one day with pitchforks and torches. It'll be great.

Sounds like a plan.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:I think he is just asking for a woot invasion of his lockers. We'll form a raiding party, and just show up one day with pitchforks and torches. It'll be great.

Pitchforks & Torches. Sure, no problem!

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Sounds like a plan.

kylemittskus

Chargers.

otolith

kylemittskus wrote:Chokers.

FTFY.

--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

Re-posted from last week's pub! Urg!

I got an email from UPS today to tell me that I should expect a delivery from amazon on Tuesday. I logged in to track it. I have no idea what it could possibly be. I have not purchased anything that I have not received! Guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

On another, slightly related note, my AmEx cc had a charge on it from Brazil along with the appropriate currency exchange charge! I called AmEx right away. I am not liable for any of these charges. They suggested that it was just some weird blip and that I should just keep an eye on my account, if more charges appear, then they'll send a new card. I asked if he had any idea how a charge from Brazil could occur. He said that there are soooo many possibilities these days. Thinking back on another charge: I had the athletic club charge my membership to my card over the phone. If someone else did that with their AmEx card and someone gave a wrong digit, then it could be on someone else's card. They don't even need the "name exactly as it appears on the card"! I cannot remember if they need the code # from the back. Ah, one more thing to keep watch over!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

joelsisk

otolith wrote:FTFY.

Go Broncos!!! Peyton's the MAN.

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Re-posted from last week's pub! Urg!

I got an email from UPS today to tell me that I should expect a delivery from amazon on Tuesday. I logged in to track it. I have no idea what it could possibly be. I have not purchased anything that I have not received! Guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

On another, slightly related note, my AmEx cc had a charge on it from Brazil along with the appropriate currency exchange charge! I called AmEx right away. I am not liable for any of these charges. They suggested that it was just some weird blip and that I should just keep an eye on my account, if more charges appear, then they'll send a new card. I asked if he had any idea how a charge from Brazil could occur. He said that there are soooo many possibilities these days. Thinking back on another charge: I had the athletic club charge my membership to my card over the phone. If someone else did that with their AmEx card and someone gave a wrong digit, then it could be on someone else's card. They don't even need the "name exactly as it appears on the card"! I cannot remember if they need the code # from the back. Ah, one more thing to keep watch over!

Make sure you do that on a hard line, and not a portable or cell phone. The people with tin foil hats have scanners!!!

Edit: And don't blame yourself! It was your hopped-up husband who started it!! You need to keep him away from the computer when he's that incoherent!

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:Go Broncos!!! Peyton's the MAN.

Nope, just that the Chokers only showed up for the 1st half.

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I think we should show up with wine glasses and corkscrews! oh, and some munchies!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:Sounds like a plan.

Huh? After your admitted hoarding, your cellar is next on the hit list.

Watch out at Halloween. Those tall ones with pitchforks won't be trick-or-treaters.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

mommadeb1 wrote:I think we should show up with wine glasses and corkscrews! oh, and some munchies!

Now that's the right idea. I bet Sparky would even open the door himself. It isn't that he never wants to drink his wine, he just needs a small crowd to share it with.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Now that's the right idea. I bet Sparky would even open the door himself. It isn't that he never wants to drink his wine, he just needs a small crowd to share it with.

agreed... I wish we lived closer!

joelsisk

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nope, just that the Chokers only showed up for the 1st half.

Or that the Broncos only showed up for the second half...

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:I think we should show up with wine glasses and corkscrews! oh, and some munchies!

Well, there is the 27th!!

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:Huh? After your admitted hoarding, your cellar is next on the hit list.

Watch out at Halloween. Those tall ones with pitchforks won't be trick-or-treaters.

You're welcome anytime.

--John Muir

polarbear22

Whole house just shook. Looked upstairs to see if someone was in the house. Looked to see if big bear on the porch. Very confused.

Earthquake in Southern Maine on the news. Yep, I felt my first earthquake in CT.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Whole house just shook. Looked upstairs to see if someone was in the house. Looked to see if big bear on the porch. Very confused.

Earthquake in Southern Maine on the news. Yep, I felt my first earthquake in CT.

Poor babies!!!

Edit: Appropriate Music

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Hahahaha!!!

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Poor babies!!!

Edit: Appropriate Music

Thankfully, we did not suffer that kind of damage.

Note that we do not build homes as well as CA to withstand EQ's. So when we get a real sized one, we'll be in trouble. And the soil here transmits the shock waves a lot farther. So real glad that all we get is something that knocks over a chair or two.

And why are you crazy people living on fault lines?

My Cellar

polarbear22

kylemittskus wrote:Hahahaha!!!

How many fault lines within 100 miles do you have?

Hahahaha!!!

My Cellar

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, there is the 27th!!

I don't think I can escape again.... so sad.....poor me....