mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
Bione wrote:Really? You're going to sign that one from the language police and you can't even use the correct instance of "your/you're"?

F'ing embarrassing. Was still working on my coffee this morning. Anyway, the problem has been corrected. Carry on.

-The (slightly humbled) language police

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

SteveCousins

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SteveCousins
canonizer wrote:That's actually pretty interesting. You've been up around 16% in years past, no?

Hi canonizer, actually we've produced very few wines at the 16% level. We've certainly had a few over 15%. The 2010 POIZIN was 14.8%. This is winemaker Brandon's third vintage at Armida and with brother Bruce, we're all working hard to balance alcohol with all the wine's attributes. As a result the alcohol level in most of Brandon's wines are significantly lower than those of our previous winemaker.

SteveCousins

SteveCousins wrote:Hi canonizer, actually we've produced very few wines at the 16% level. We've certainly had a few over 15%. The 2010 POIZIN was 14.8%. This is winemaker Brandon's third vintage at Armida and with brother Bruce, we're all working hard to balance alcohol with all the wine's attributes. As a result the alcohol level in most of Brandon's wines are significantly lower than those of our previous winemaker.

The "high" alcohol conversation always makes my head spin. (not the alcohol the conversation ) I've relished many wines with relatively high alcohol; big wines with tons of fruit, racy acidity, tannic and sweet oak - perfectly balanced. Obviously many wines with elevated alcohol are not balanced and subsequently, taste "hot," and often flabby with muted fruit. Yet for many of us, alcohol in wine enhances weight and the ripeness of the fruit - the sensation of sweetness can be persuasive if not powerful, and is enjoyed but a significant percentage of the wine drinking population.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

"Plus, the first 140 of you will get a corkscrew-shaped surprise!"

How do we know if we will get one?

pfffft!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
andrewtl wrote:"Plus, the first 140 of you will get a corkscrew-shaped surprise!"

How do we know if we will get one?

It will be in the package.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

SteveCousins

SteveCousins wrote:The "high" alcohol conversation always makes my head spin. (not the alcohol the conversation ) I've relished many wines with relatively high alcohol; big wines with tons of fruit, racy acidity, tannic and sweet oak - perfectly balanced. Obviously many wines with elevated alcohol are not balanced and subsequently, taste "hot," and often flabby with muted fruit. Yet for many of us, alcohol in wine enhances weight and the ripeness of the fruit - the sensation of sweetness can be persuasive if not powerful, and is enjoyed by a significant percentage of the wine drinking population.

When Brandon can get off the crush pad for a few minutes today I'm sure he'd love to throw in on this topic!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
SteveCousins wrote:The "high" alcohol conversation always makes my head spin. (not the alcohol the conversation ) I've relished many wines with relatively high alcohol; big wines with tons of fruit, racy acidity, tannic and sweet oak - perfectly balanced. Obviously many wines with elevated alcohol are not balanced and subsequently, taste "hot," and often flabby with muted fruit. Yet for many of us, alcohol in wine enhances weight and the ripeness of the fruit - the sensation of sweetness can be persuasive if not powerful, and is enjoyed but a significant percentage of the wine drinking population.

A good example of this was the La Famiglia Snows Lake Vineyard Barbera, that clocked in a 15% I could not detect any heat in that wine and it was delicious!

You guys still making that wine??

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

tomaas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomaas

wine woot prices use to be reasonable. im no longer a buyer these days because i can get blended wines at my local liquor store for cheaper. heads up guys. ur losing ur customers.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
kylemittskus wrote:It will be in the package.

zing!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

kylemittskus

tomaas wrote:wine woot prices use to be reasonable. im no longer a buyer these days because i can get blended wines at my local liquor store for cheaper. heads up guys. ur losing ur customers.

What do you mean by "blended wines"? The prices at woot haven't changed much, if at all.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:What do you mean by "blended wines"? The prices at woot haven't changed much, if at all.

7-11's "kiwi strawberry cabernet" Slurpee experiment.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

SteveCousins

tytiger58 wrote:A good example of this was the La Famiglia Snows Lake Vineyard Barbera, that clocked in a 15% I could not detect any heat in that wine and it was delicious!

You guys still making that wine??

Hey tytiger, couldn't agree with you more! Unfortunately for us Snows Lake Vineyard was sold to the Gallo Wine Company. The vineyard also grew some epic Cab and it seems the Gallos wanted it and needed it. We're currently checking out other sources for Barbera but there is not a lot of it around and we're very picky.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
SteveCousins wrote:Hey Klezman, you might like to know that this year's offering of the 2011 is "only" 14.4% alcohol. We're working hard to manage alcohols downward when we can, while still dealing with fully mature fruit. Last year was a nice steady, cool growing season so the fruit matured without super high sugars. So far, this year is much the same. BTW, pretty tough to make a Dry Creek Zin under 14%!

Interesting! I'm not on the side of a hard limit at 14% being "high" alcohol, but 14.4% for a Dry Creek Zin is certainly not in the stratosphere. So what this means is that I'd be happy to take one bottle of somebody's hands and give it another go.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons
SteveCousins wrote:Hi threemoons, Steve from Armida here and we appreciate your comments. We're really excited about the 2011 vintage because it's one of the best POIZINs we've made. Those of you familiar with this wine will note that this vintage is all Dry Creek as opposed to Sonoma appellation. There were a couple of very short vintages and we couldn't muster enough Dry Creek fruit for our single vineyard Zins and for the Poizin. However, effective with the 2011 we've sourced a couple of new Dry Creek vineyards and now have plenty of primo Dry Creek fruit for POIZIN from here on in!

Woo hoo! Sorry for the late reply (was on the go all day after I got my order in). I DO hope that I get a Mystery Corkscrew Bonus Item Goodie in my order.

FWIW, MOM also made her first wine.woot purchase today for this, on my recommendation. Go MomMoons!

kylemittskus

SteveCousins wrote:Hey tytiger, couldn't agree with you more! Unfortunately for us Snows Lake Vineyard was sold to the Gallo Wine Company. The vineyard also grew some epic Cab and it seems the Gallos wanted it and needed it. We're currently checking out other sources for Barbera but there is not a lot of it around and we're very picky.

Damn huge, swill making a-holes!!!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

In for one! I do love my Poizin!! Just finished my last bottle from last year.. Prob. won't get the corkscrew... but I am hoping...

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Damn huge, swill making a-holes!!!!

hahaha

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

slicey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slicey

Was thinking of getting two of these - one for my sister's halloweenparty, but I just opened a bottle of the 2009 that I got last year and I don't care for it.

If it was a better value I could probably swing it for the Halloween party, but I'm afraid it's just not my cup of tea. I like a really big, chewy zin & this one doesn't do it for me.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
SteveCousins wrote:The "high" alcohol conversation always makes my head spin. (not the alcohol the conversation ) I've relished many wines with relatively high alcohol; big wines with tons of fruit, racy acidity, tannic and sweet oak - perfectly balanced. Obviously many wines with elevated alcohol are not balanced and subsequently, taste "hot," and often flabby with muted fruit. Yet for many of us, alcohol in wine enhances weight and the ripeness of the fruit - the sensation of sweetness can be persuasive if not powerful, and is enjoyed but a significant percentage of the wine drinking population.

I have only had a few, maybe a handful, of >15% bottles that I loved. Generally, at that level, I find the alcohol overwhelms the wine's other qualities. I just don't see the not-fully-dry-but-high-alc wines as a desirable future for the industry, a pervasive trend especially in CA.

signed.

fh301

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fh301

Cost Plus World Market has Poizin on sale for members (free membership)

$14.39/bottle if you buy 4 or more. Over $10 cheaper than this deal.

Vintage unknown however.

Link to Flyer.

gre211

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gre211

Yipee!!! Just got my Poixin/ Armida Corkscrew via USPS.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
kylemittskus wrote:It will be in the package.

Would've been my guess, but nope. Corkscrew arrived in a separate padded envelope yesterday. So yeah, one of the first 140. And the nice two stage design that I like the best. So it will be used.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar