10/17/11
10/15/10
10/19/09
10/15/07
10/16/06

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Ask and you shall receive

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

Swedaro

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Swedaro

Damn Damn Damn

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I know during the last one everyone was talking and waiting for this one.

Neal K Bharadwaj

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
bkarlan wrote:Ask and you shall receive

Yup, WD did it again. Gonna be busy shipping all this out in time...

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:CJ is off on vacation & work this week. So here it is ...

List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of October 15th

October
10/19: NorCal #13: Pre-1997 Wines (Santa Clara area)
10/20: Detroit #12: The Last Hurrah
10/25: Haunted Wine Country Connect Open House (Sonoma)
10/27: SoCal #22: Locker-warming party (Irvine)

November
TBD: Austin #1
TBD: Minnesota #?

December
TBD: SoCal #23: Housewarming at Chez Klez(man) (West LA/Culver City)

January 2013
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/24: D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend
(Note: Threads will be created once PSILY site has actual D&D update)

Pending
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Yea! In for one!!

And one of my favorite scenes about PoiZin

The Pellet with the PoiZin's in the Flagon with the Dragon!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

iamguppie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamguppie
rpm wrote:Halloween party wine. I wonder if the PoiZin will make an appearance?

Nice call! =P

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

I can't speak for the 2011 but I had the 09' last year and did not care for it. easy pass. For a halloween/party themed wine it was descent but as a serious zin I found it lacking.

CT

goneferal

quality posts: 19 Private Messages goneferal

I thought the wine was perfectly drinkable, but the absolute best thing about it is the bottle. I hope I don't give the impression as someome who easily falls for the gimmick, but with the painted on label and screw cap, I reuse this bottle to mix my powder drinks in & take it to work and it FREAKS PEOPLE OUT!

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm

PoiZin, but no AntiDote?

Meh. Pass.

AbnerDoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AbnerDoon

Is that a twist top? What no wine box version. :D

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
cortot20 wrote:I can't speak for the 2011 but I had the 09' last year and did not care for it. easy pass. For a halloween/party themed wine it was descent but as a serious zin I found it lacking.

Agreed. I like Armida's "more serious" wines better - the single vineyard cabs, etc. Still they lean a little to the high alcohol/fruit side in general, but a great instance of that style.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Only a couple bottles left from two years ago. Time to restock. This is a fun wine to have on hand. And popular due to its style.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

I was hoping nay PRAYING for this. Deaspite my ppoverty in for TWO.Best zin EVER. jump on this one.

smitty8

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smitty8

I've had the 2008 and 2009 and really liked them. I am kind of poor right now, but had to buy one set anyway. Who needs a new hot water heater anyway? Right?

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
smitty8 wrote:Who needs a new hot water heater anyway? Right?

No one. If your water's already hot, then you don't need a heater.

Love,
The language police

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione
mikegberg wrote:No one. If you're water's already hot, then you don't need a heater.

Love,
The language police

Really? You're going to sign that one from the language police and you can't even use the correct instance of "your/you're"?

To get back on topic, this still seems a little pricey for a Zin - can someone please let us know if this is a lightweight "fruit punch" style wine or something with a bit more complexity? For the price, it really ought to be the latter...

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons
Bione wrote:Really? You're going to sign that one from the language police and you can't even use the correct instance of "your/you're"?

To get back on topic, this still seems a little pricey for a Zin - can someone please let us know if this is a lightweight "fruit punch" style wine or something with a bit more complexity? For the price, it really ought to be the latter...

this is a big zin and the bottle that i take to byob fancypants dining clubs/dinner parties. goes great with rich complex foods and well worth it.

It may be punk on the outside but it's all business on the inside.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
goneferal wrote:I thought the wine was perfectly drinkable, but the absolute best thing about it is the bottle. I hope I don't give the impression as someome who easily falls for the gimmick, but with the painted on label and screw cap, I reuse this bottle to mix my powder drinks in & take it to work and it FREAKS PEOPLE OUT!

I was thinking with this label the bottle screamed (bad pun) for a cork rather than a screw on cap. Stupid I admit but that is what made me pass.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
goneferal wrote:I thought the wine was perfectly drinkable, but the absolute best thing about it is the bottle. I hope I don't give the impression as someome who easily falls for the gimmick, but with the painted on label and screw cap, I reuse this bottle to mix my powder drinks in & take it to work and it FREAKS PEOPLE OUT!

I love this idea.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

Everyone needs the bottle for Halloween fun. This has been on woot every October at least since 2007 and is a consistent sell out.

It's not my style - none of Arminda's wines are - but lots and lots of wooters seem to like it; I'd bet there are many collections of 5 (so far) different bottles waiting to add a 6th.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
klezman wrote:Agreed. ... they lean a little to the high alcohol/fruit side in general, but a great instance of that style.

I think the word you're looking for is reductio....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

tradinick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tradinick

During our Sonoma Tripp this summer we stopped at Armida and did a tasting. The Poizin was probably the least favorite Zin we had in Sonoma. So many better Zins (Wilson, Mazzocco, Forchini, Alexander Valley, Clos du Bois, Seghecio, Hop Kiln just to name a few) Big pass on this one.

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

So What is the drinking window in this one?. Never had it before and running low in storage space, but will consider if it's a good wine. any advice? how does it mach to the inzinerator?.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
rpm wrote:Everyone needs the bottle for Halloween fun. This has been on woot every October at least since 2007 and is a consistent sell out.

It's not my style - none of Arminda's wines are - but lots and lots of wooters seem to like it; I'd bet there are many collections of 5 (so far) different bottles waiting to add a 6th.

Wonderful bottle but I stopped ordering a few years ago. Can't just $18/bottle for the glass alone.

signed.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rpm wrote:Everyone needs the bottle for Halloween fun. This has been on woot every October at least since 2007 and is a consistent sell out.

I can verify that it was on Woot in 2006.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

roblowe1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roblowe1

Great winery in general, love the Poizin logo's I always seem to loose one of my Poizin shot glasses at every party I host....down to 2... Time to make a trip back out west I guess. One of my favorite zin's. Their high end zin is truly remarkable.

psycholagny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psycholagny

Bought this for my roommate the last time it came through. He loved it, label and wine alike [I honestly expected it to be sub par and just have an amusing label]. If I wasn't waiting on payday, I'd be in for more!

SteveCousins

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SteveCousins
threemoons wrote:this is a big zin and the bottle that i take to byob fancypants dining clubs/dinner parties. goes great with rich complex foods and well worth it.

It may be punk on the outside but it's all business on the inside.

Hi threemoons, Steve from Armida here and we appreciate your comments. We're really excited about the 2011 vintage because it's one of the best POIZINs we've made. Those of you familiar with this wine will note that this vintage is all Dry Creek as opposed to Sonoma appellation. There were a couple of very short vintages and we couldn't muster enough Dry Creek fruit for our single vineyard Zins and for the Poizin. However, effective with the 2011 we've sourced a couple of new Dry Creek vineyards and now have plenty of primo Dry Creek fruit for POIZIN from here on in!

slicey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slicey

I guess I'll have to finally break open a bottle from the last time I bought this. See if it'll be worth going in for another. Since last year's woot arrived AFTER Halloween I never had occasion to try it out.

SteveCousins

klezman wrote:Agreed. I like Armida's "more serious" wines better - the single vineyard cabs, etc. Still they lean a little to the high alcohol/fruit side in general, but a great instance of that style.

Hey Klezman, you might like to know that this year's offering of the 2011 is "only" 14.4% alcohol. We're working hard to manage alcohols downward when we can, while still dealing with fully mature fruit. Last year was a nice steady, cool growing season so the fruit matured without super high sugars. So far, this year is much the same. BTW, pretty tough to make a Dry Creek Zin under 14%!

enos233

quality posts: 1 Private Messages enos233

I buy my red wine at Fresh & Easy for $1.99 a bottle.

SteveCousins

luisifer777 wrote:So What is the drinking window in this one?. Never had it before and running low in storage space, but will consider if it's a good wine. any advice? how does it mach to the inzinerator?.

Hi luisifer, I would ordinarily let our winemaker, Brandon, answer this question but he, and brother Bruce, are on the crush pad right now! Without going into all the "chemistry" of the 2011 POIZIN, this vintage will age very well. It will also do so because 15% of the blend is Petite Sirah. This one will improve in the bottle for four to five years and hold for another five. I hope this helps!

harmonious2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious2

Hi Steve, thanks for making an appearance. I like what you're saying about the 2011 vintage. Dry Creek and a bit lower alcohol are both good selling points. If I wasn't still sitting on 3 of the '09s (which I did find a little hot) I would definitely be in on these.

SteveCousins

cortot20 wrote:I can't speak for the 2011 but I had the 09' last year and did not care for it. easy pass. For a halloween/party themed wine it was descent but as a serious zin I found it lacking.

Hey cortot20, check out my response to threemoons. Thanks!

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
enos233 wrote:I buy my red wine at Fresh & Easy for $1.99 a bottle.

Another great place to look is early in the mornings in Alley ways. Every now and then I get lucky finding a bottle half or more full right from some sleeping guys pocket. Free is for me!

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
SteveCousins wrote:Hey Klezman, you might like to know that this year's offering of the 2011 is "only" 14.4% alcohol. We're working hard to manage alcohols downward when we can, while still dealing with fully mature fruit. Last year was a nice steady, cool growing season so the fruit matured without super high sugars. So far, this year is much the same. BTW, pretty tough to make a Dry Creek Zin under 14%!

That's actually pretty interesting. You've been up around 16% in years past, no?

signed.

kapamelbka

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kapamelbka

Had the 2008 and it was very hot.