bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm

Eric is in the house!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:But there's no icewine festival. And my dermatologist doesn't like me going to the beach.

Well, we are not beach fans anyway. So we'll be happy with the other Buffalo attractions.

Have a great time today. I'll be kicking myself periodically throughout the day.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:Well, we are not beach fans anyway. So we'll be happy with the other Buffalo attractions.

Have a great time today. I'll be kicking myself periodically throughout the day.

Um, yeah. Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!!!! I can't believe we're still eating . . . and drinking.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tiger7610

So much food. I do not remember the last time I was in such a food/wine coma. Amazing food at Seabar, ice wine festival was fun as well.

vwsmaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwsmaltz

Had a great time! Great wines - good food and new (and old) friends!

We definitely need to plan a wine tasting around the Finger Lakes this Spring-Fall....

I also have plenty of wines to drink here at the house!

Virgil

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

OK, about to call it a day. Still have the drive home, with possibly bad weather in the morning.

What a wonderful weekend. Niagara and nine wineries was a blast, can't believe we hit that many, but we were focused. Managed not to buy as many this time, but spent probably just as much.

Seabar sushi was phenomenonal. Can't believe we did six courses for the price Mike charged us. The beef-on-weck sushi roll had us fighting for the last piece.

A slower Sunday, with brunch and the beer and food throughout the day just topped it off. Wish we had more time to spend with HAK and Cheron, but not sure they could have taken the sour beer and other libations at the Blue Monk. And loved the wings at the Anchor Bar for dinner.

B&D were wonderful hosts throughout, and every Wooter who missed this event should be sad. I had a wonderful time, and am already looking forward to the next gathering of friends.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

What a wonderful weekend. That was so needed after all the craziness of work lately... Although that's not done yet. I don't think I need to eat for the next week or so!

Thank you to d&b for arranging this all, and for humoring my request to stop at Pilliteri, despite it not being on the schedule Good food, good wine, good friends, good time. Need more wings sometime, though. Would've hung a bit longer if not for the incoming foul weather. There will be other visits though!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman

Glad you guys had fun. I've always enjoyed Pilitteri, too. Even interviewed the founder for a business course back in undergrad (he was also a member of Parliament).

Looking forward to the time molarchae and I can actually make it over there!

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tiger7610

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tiger7610

What a weekend, amazing food, company, wine. I just got home to Ithaca about 20 min ago, because I ended up grabbing dinner with people I havent seen in 3 years since my graduation from Buffalo. I will forever treasure that 6 course dinner from Mike, and the group effort that we all put forth to finish that beef on weck sushi. A very memorable and fun buffalo 10 gathering.

polarbear22

Snow is already coming down here. Sleet and freezing rain to come. So the drive out on Friday would have been OK, but getting home would have been a challenge. Tough travelling that distance in the winter. Still - sorry I missed what sounded like a great time. And some good photos on FB.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

cheron98

klezman wrote:Glad you guys had fun. I've always enjoyed Pilitteri, too. Even interviewed the founder for a business course back in undergrad (he was also a member of Parliament).

Looking forward to the time molarchae and I can actually make it over there!

I had decided prior to going out there that I was going to bite the bullet and get the sparkling icewine from Pilliteri. All I can say is, Holy Wow. They don't have much left. Wish I could've gotten more.

It was as though everyone got together with Mike and picked a wine specifically for each course. The pairings were pretty well spot on. Also, our server was phenomenal and did a fabulous job of making sure everyone got a taste of everything. She even poured the 375ml sparkling icewine in such a way that all 15 of us got a good pour, with a little extra leftover.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
ddeuddeg wrote:I have a card that doesn't charge conversion fees, which would take care of that concern. Paying in cash will work, as long as they'll accept US$ at par. With the currencies as close as they are right now, that's likely enough. If not, they'll generally charge a conversion rate significantly higher than the bank rate, in my experience. That would make the fee-free credit card a better deal.
cheron98 wrote:Ooh I just ... discovered ... sorry ... that my Discover card doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. Yay!

So apparently I should have gotten a clear direct answer from Visa, since I have found out that my SWA Visa DOES indeed charge a 3% foreign transaction fee. So using that card at the wineries cost me an extra $10.55.
If I had known, I would have used my Discover card for everything. Well, now I know for next time.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

justplainjulie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages justplainjulie

It was great seeing many of you again this weekend and meeting others for the first time.

Thanks to bahwm and ddeuddeg for organizing such a great event - especially the dinner at Seabar (wow...just wow).

We made it home last night with all of our bottles and glasses intact, so all-in-all the weekend was a major success.

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So apparently I should have gotten a clear direct answer from Visa, since I have found out that my SWA Visa DOES indeed charge a 3% foreign transaction fee. So using that card at the wineries cost me an extra $10.55.
If I had known, I would have used my Discover card for everything. Well, now I know for next time.

Except a lot of the wineries don't take discover...

polarbear22

cheron98 wrote:Except a lot of the wineries don't take discover...

And my Discover charges foriegn exchange fees. Only reason I got a Capital One card -- no fees.

My Cellar

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:And my Discover charges foriegn exchange fees. Only reason I got a Capital One card -- no fees.

Was that at my suggestion via mother?

bahwm

And today, we had a high temp of 65 degrees! I cracked my students up yesterday: it got pitch black outside and all of a sudden it started to pour. They got all worried about having to go home in the downpour. I got their attention back and reminded them that it's Buffalo: if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it'll change. Sure enough, before they left class, it cleared up! Oh, yeah, we'll be in the 20s tomorrow!

polarbear22

bahwm wrote:Was that at my suggestion via mother?

No, it was more their commercials when my daughter got accepted to the school in England.

My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

polarbear22 wrote:No, it was more their commercials when my daughter got accepted to the school in England.

I'm actually tempted to get one now, since new customers get 0% APR for the first year. Which means, all my credit card expenses up to and through the wedding I don't need to worry about getting paid off until the beginning of next year. Which will be helpful in having the cash needed for the final payments the day of the wedding.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bahwm

Warning! Warning!: I just got back from the doctor's office and have been diagnosed with the flu!

I called this afternoon around 3 pm and left a message with symptoms. They called back and asked if I could be at the office by 3:30 and told me to wait in the hall where the chairs are and call in when I get there and the nurses would come to get me. They did not want me to go through the regular waiting room and possibly infect people who might be there for a well-visit. The nurse came out with a mask and handed me one and told me to put it on. They then whisked me into an exam room, took my vitals and swabbed for the flu virus and strep. Flu positive. Strep negative.

It is too late for any of the medicines because my symptoms definitely started Thursday, that I can remember, but more likely on Wednesday. So, it is possible that all those who were with me a week ago were probably exposed in some way or another. So, if you do start to experience any kind of stuffy nose, runny nose, sneezing, cough, fever or achiness, get to the doctor within the first 24 - 72 hours and you might be able to benefit from some of the flu meds.

I am amazed that I don't feel as bad as I did once before when I had the flu and I was out for a week. I was totally wiped out and couldn't do anything but sleep. This hasn't hit me that bad--except for the fever of 101.6 and this nasty cough and really not having the energy to do anything.

The doc says that because I had a really bad case years ago and also got the flu shot that maybe this is a weaker version.

The doctor wrote me an excuse through next week Monday, the 11th unless I feel remarkably better! Yikes!

vwsmaltz

Sorry to hear that Bonnie.

Most people don't need Tamiflu, it really only shortens the course of the flu by 4-8hrs and doesn't do much else. Another one of the hypes by pharmaceutical companies....

The key to those who were exposed and then develop any symptoms is to push fluids, take Tylenol and Advil and rest. Please don't ask your physician for antibiotics, as they don't work and only contribute to the emergence of "super bugs".

If you don't annually get a flu shot - start!

Virgil

bahwm wrote:Warning! Warning!: I just got back from the doctor's office and have been diagnosed with the flu!

I called this afternoon around 3 pm and left a message with symptoms. They called back and asked if I could be at the office by 3:30 and told me to wait in the hall where the chairs are and call in when I get there and the nurses would come to get me. They did not want me to go through the regular waiting room and possibly infect people who might be there for a well-visit. The nurse came out with a mask and handed me one and told me to put it on. They then whisked me into an exam room, took my vitals and swabbed for the flu virus and strep. Flu positive. Strep negative.

It is too late for any of the medicines because my symptoms definitely started Thursday, that I can remember, but more likely on Wednesday. So, it is possible that all those who were with me a week ago were probably exposed in some way or another. So, if you do start to experience any kind of stuffy nose, runny nose, sneezing, cough, fever or achiness, get to the doctor within the first 24 - 72 hours and you might be able to benefit from some of the flu meds.

I am amazed that I don't feel as bad as I did once before when I had the flu and I was out for a week. I was totally wiped out and couldn't do anything but sleep. This hasn't hit me that bad--except for the fever of 101.6 and this nasty cough and really not having the energy to do anything.

The doc says that because I had a really bad case years ago and also got the flu shot that maybe this is a weaker version.

The doctor wrote me an excuse through next week Monday, the 11th unless I feel remarkably better! Yikes!

HitAnyKey42

vwsmaltz wrote:If you don't annually get a flu shot - start!

Eh, I have never gotten a flu shot and most likely never will. My mom also never gets flu shots (though my dad does), for her it's because she hates needles. I have no problem with needles...I simply don't get the flu shot. Don't know why, it's just that I don't.
I'm also pretty sure Cat will never get a flu shot either.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Eh, I have never gotten a flu shot and most likely never will. My mom also never gets flu shots (though my dad does), for her it's because she hates needles. I have no problem with needles...I simply don't get the flu shot. Don't know why, it's just that I don't.
I'm also pretty sure Cat will never get a flu shot either.

Nevah!

I also don't go to doctors partially because their offices are the worst infestation of disease. I'd rather get sick and build up the antibodies. And drink lots of OJ. Lots.

vwsmaltz

Unfortunately getting sick with the flu doesn't prevent re-occurrences as they are different each year... the only way to build immunity is to get the shot...

Oh well...

Virgil

cheron98 wrote:Nevah!

I also don't go to doctors partially because their offices are the worst infestation of disease. I'd rather get sick and build up the antibodies. And drink lots of OJ. Lots.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg

On a more pleasant note, here's the food lineup for that Lucullan feast in Buffalo:
1. Sashimi salmon, sashimi tuna, eel handroll
2. Beausoleil oysters, avocado shrimp
3. Coconut curry soup
4. Volcano noodles, sesame noodles, cucumber salad, assorted sushi rolls: crab mango, tempura shrimp, hamachi, spicy tuna, vegetarian
5. Beef on weck sushi roll
6. Scallop, roasted red pepper risotto, sweet corn purée, chorizo
7. Peanut butter crunch tart with chocolate and strawberries
Sorry this took so long. It's been really busy here.
Bahwm has the wine list, but as for the wine pairings with the various courses, I have to admit that was pure dumb luck. There sure was some terrific bubbly to choose from, though. It would have been hard to go wrong.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
vwsmaltz wrote:Unfortunately getting sick with the flu doesn't prevent re-occurrences as they are different each year.

This is mainly true, but the swine flu that was epidemic a few years ago was apparently a descendant of the one that was big in 1957. My doctor said that if I had that one, I probably didn't need to worry about the swine flu.
I had that one, all right, at the best possible time. I had to stay home for the entire World Series, when the Milwaukee Braves, with my idol, Warren Spahn, and Lew Burdette on the mound, beat the NY Yankees. That was back in the day when the game was played the way it was meant to be played: in the daytime, on grass.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

OK, and we FINALLY have the wine line-up for what we consumed at Seabar:

'06 Schramsberg Blanc de Noirs
'07 Iron Horse Commander's Palace
'97 Iron Horse Joy! (disgorged in '10) 1.5 liter
'06 Ravines Finger Lakes Sparkling Wine Brut Méthode Classique
'07 Shramsberg Brut Rosé
'06 Iron Horse Classic Vintage Brut
NV Henri de Villamont Crémant de Bourgogne Blanc de Blancs Brut
'04 Pillitteri Estates Winery Sparkling Icewine NOTL VQA Vidal

What an amazing "accidental" pairing event this was!

cheron98

bahwm wrote:
'04 Pillitteri Estates Winery Sparkling Icewine NOTL VQA Vidal

IFTFY

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:IFTFY

Thanks! The picture that I took of the bottle was a little too blurry! Edit made.