bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
justplainjulie wrote:The itinerary looks great to us.

As far as breakfast, we are fine with whatever the majority wants to do. We are fine meeting at a restaurant or we will be fine with what the hotel has.

Dreading the long flight, but really excited about the weekend.

PM for you.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Itinerary looks good! Breakfast...hak & I are at your mercy I missed d&j last time since I drove out Saturday. Still trying to behave for food. Ish.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Is there space in some car so I can carpool, and not drive to canada after my 3 hour morning commute?

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

Friday night - Beef on Weck - my friend from PA has introduced me to it before, but I want to taste the 'real thing'. The cheese cake sounds scrumptious.

Sat - The winery itinerary looks good to me. D&J for breakfast is also good with me.

I will once more be driving up in my SUV, so a little snow on the drive up Friday isn't going to deter me. Just had a mechanic do a once over, to make sure all is good for the road. Also, it will seat 5 (driver plus 4 pass) with cargo space, so carpool space is there.

I have already packed my passport in my laptop bag for the trip. No crazy FedEx antics this year!!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie
bahwm wrote:PM for you.

And for you

bahwm

justplainjulie wrote:And for you

Got it. Thanks!

Everybody: Don't forget your passports or enhanced driver's licenses. Pack them now. We don't want to leave anybody behind!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

Yeah I will add my enhanced license to my wallet, I dont want to find out that I forgot to pack it. Random other question, are we going to pack lunch, or basically just snack on all the ice wine pairings through out the day?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tiger7610 wrote:Random other question, are we going to pack lunch, or basically just snack on all the ice wine pairings through out the day?
bahwm wrote:Hopefully, we will be grazing enough all day at the wineries that we will not have to get anything more to eat before Seabar @ 7.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tiger7610

Cool, as long as I know by friday what time I need to get there on saturday I would be ok. I think since not going to D&J would allow me at least an extra 30 min of sleep, I will change my vote to not going unless there is an overwhelming desire.

bahwm

Got an email back from Mike at Seabar. For those of you who might be bringing some bubbly for dinner on Saturday, could you please drop it at our house before we head over to The Blackthorn? Mike said that we can drop it off anytime and we won't have to schlep it into Canada and run the risk of the Third Degree by the border people. ddeuddeg or I will make the quick run downtown with it & then head over to The Blackthorn. Maybe you could drop by anytime from 6 on? Let us know if you are planning on bringing some bubbly. Although, it really isn't a requirement. wkdpanda has a mag that he is bringing. I was thinking of one of the bottles of Rack & Riddle that I picked up. If we find that we need more, we can always purchase some from Mike--probably not a bad idea to support his bar a bit.

The food price for those ordering from Mike's menu du soir is $30.00 + at least a $6.00 per person gratuity (that's 20%) plus tax. He will not be donating any wine for us this time, but he will waive the corkage fee on the wines that we bring in. Of course, he reminds us to tip on the base amount as well as on any other beverages that we may order. "It is the right thing to do." He also reminds us to "be nice to our servers". I certainly hope so!

ddeuddeg

tiger7610 wrote:Cool, as long as I know by friday what time I need to get there on saturday I would be ok. I think since not going to D&J would allow me at least an extra 30 min of sleep, I will change my vote to not going unless there is an overwhelming desire.

I think we'll be going to Dick and Jenny's, planning on leaving our house at 9:00. If you want to sleep later, you could meet us there, leave your car, and then pick it up on the way back. We'd want to leave there no later than 10:30.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

chipgreen

quality posts: 201 Private Messages chipgreen

<--- jealous

I hope you all have a great time!

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

Sounds like a great time. Just saw this and I live nearby (but can't go.) Thought you might be interested in this article. They are picking grapes this week on the US Niagara Wine Trail . If you have time on Sunday before you leave town, you might want to take a ride out that way and see some great wineries in right here in NYS. Some great ice wines too. They bring them to the local farmers market for sampling !

A nice little winery. Good stuff.

Ice Wine Harvest in WNY

bahwm

Hey guys! Just one more day! Yippee! We haven't really even addressed what we might want to do on Sunday exactly. There was a request for brunch at Shango on Main Street in Buffalo (sorry, I can't do links right now--we've been invited to dinner at the 20th century club in about a half hour); Niagara Falls and wings at Frank & Teressa's Anchor Bar(the founders of the Buffalo chicken wing).

ddeuddegg & I are scheduled to be the readers at 10 AM Mass at Blessed Trinity Catholic Church. This church is the purest form of 12th century Lombard-Romanesque architecture in the country. It was modeled after a church in Pavia, Italy and has over 2,000 Christian symbols, in and on the church building itself. A true must see. Google it: 317 Leroy Ave. Buffalo. Unfortunately, our choir is on winter break.

We could see about getting reservations for 11:45 - 12:00. Let me know if I should do this. We could just meet up at Shango. There was also talk of beer at the Blue Monk. We may have to split up to do the Falls and meet up again later. Last year, we took ajrod to The Sportsman's Tavern for some music. There's always something going on there.

cheron98

For those of you driving in: if you have any empty case boxes, could you please bring them? I just did inventory of what I still need to pack and it turns out I'm about 4 case boxes short. Empty 6es would be helpful too.

I also have 7 magnum bottles to pack somehow... Of the tall inzin variety. Maybe I'll bring one for this weekend...

There's also a 3L bottle, if anyone has a box for that, I'd be super grateful.

Thanks folks!

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:For those of you driving in: if you have any empty case boxes, could you please bring them? I just did inventory of what I still need to pack and it turns out I'm about 4 case boxes short. Empty 6es would be helpful too.

I also have 7 magnum bottles to pack somehow... Of the tall inzin variety. Maybe I'll bring one for this weekend...

Thanks folks!

We have a 15 banger that was shipped here from Italy. No styrofoam, but you are welcome to it. Also, we have a 3L box with some nice padding.

bahwm

Safe travels everyone!

cheron98

bahwm wrote:We have a 15 banger that was shipped here from Italy. No styrofoam, but you are welcome to it. Also, we have a 3L box with some nice padding.

Yay 3L!

15 banger? Doesn't need Styrofoam, just something to pad for the move like the cardboard molds...

cheron98

So y'all will laugh.

Apparently U-Haul knows me. Right after I posted the box request, I opened up the boxes of moving supplies I bought from U-Haul, who surprisingly had the best prices and selection. So I went through it to make sure it as all there, when I realized there were two boxes in there that looked suspiciously like case Styrofoam wine shippers, which I totally didn't order cuz they want like $17 each for them.

Sure enough, they were, complete with the little alcohol warning printed on them. They weren't on the packing slip, not in my order... Just random.

Then I realized they had NOT packed the Styrofoam picture corner pieces that I DID order (and was one of the reasons I went hunting for moving supplies in the first place).

I've emailed them about the mistake - just hoping they'll say "oops, keep the shippers, we'll send you those corner pieces". They're nice shippers!

Long story longer, don't take this as me saying I only need 2 boxes now, because they very well may tell me to bring the shippers back to a U-Haul shop. So please do still bring boxes

vwsmaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwsmaltz
cheron98 wrote:For those of you driving in: if you have any empty case boxes, could you please bring them? I just did inventory of what I still need to pack and it turns out I'm about 4 case boxes short. Empty 6es would be helpful too.

Thanks folks!

I have some sixes - and maybe a 12 so I'll bring them....

Virgil

cheron98

vwsmaltz wrote:I have some sixes - and maybe a 12 so I'll bring them....

Virgil

B - PM for you.

tiger7610

Do you need padded boxes, or just any winery boxes suffice? I have some 3 bottle things I can bring if needs be.

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:Yay 3L!

15 banger? Doesn't need Styrofoam, just something to pad for the move like the cardboard molds...

Since the bottles made it intact from Italy, I think they should make it to Long Island ok.

ddeuddeg

wkdpanda wrote:Friday night - Beef on Weck - my friend from PA has introduced me to it before, but I want to taste the 'real thing'. The cheese cake sounds scrumptious.

Sat - The winery itinerary looks good to me. D&J for breakfast is also good with me.

I will once more be driving up in my SUV, so a little snow on the drive up Friday isn't going to deter me. Just had a mechanic do a once over, to make sure all is good for the road. Also, it will seat 5 (driver plus 4 pass) with cargo space, so carpool space is there.

I have already packed my passport in my laptop bag for the trip. No crazy FedEx antics this year!!

Just so you know, gasoline hereabouts is $3.65 or more. Last time I was in PA, it was cheaper there, so you might want to fill up before you cross the state line. That would most likely get you here and back to PA before you need to fill up again. In Canada, it's around $1.22/liter.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

See everybody tomorrow! Hope to hit the hotel no later than 6pm, and drop stuff by D&B's soon after.

Drive safe all. Silly storm blowing through tomorrow afternoon isn't going to stop me!!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

bahwm

wkdpanda wrote:See everybody tomorrow! Hope to hit the hotel no later than 6pm, and drop stuff by D&B's soon after.

Drive safe all. Silly storm blowing through tomorrow afternoon isn't going to stop me!!

Where's the storm supposed to be? NOT in Buffalo. They're talking about an inch or so tomorrow.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bahwm wrote:Where's the storm supposed to be? NOT in Buffalo. They're talking about an inch or so tomorrow.

We're supposed to be getting 1-3 here in NY, last I heard. Starting Friday night. So hopefully it doesn't affect my flight at all.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:Do you need padded boxes, or just any winery boxes suffice? I have some 3 bottle things I can bring if needs be.

3 may be a little too small... Too much space taken up for too little packing.

cheron98

bahwm wrote:Since the bottles made it intact from Italy, I think they should make it to Long Island ok.

That'll do

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:We're supposed to be getting 1-3 here in NY, last I heard. Starting Friday night. So hopefully it doesn't affect my flight at all.

Theoretically it's snowing here but I haven't peeked outside yet.

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:..., if there is some heavier snow between here and there on Friday, I will be relieved.

Nope. You'll have to blame it entirely on the sitter.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:Nope. You'll have to blame it entirely on the sitter.

Yep. There is always the summer. When the beaches in Buffalo are at their best.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:Yep. There is always the summer. When the beaches in Buffalo are at their best.

But there's no icewine festival. And my dermatologist doesn't like me going to the beach.

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

Made it to BWI. Boarding for BUF in about 20 minutes. See you soon!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
justplainjulie wrote:Made it to BWI. Boarding for BUF in about 20 minutes. See you soon!

And Cat entered Canada about 45 minutes ago, so she's also on her way.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bahwm

Cheron & wkdpanda have arrived at our house.

bahwm

We're all at The Blackthorn for dinner.

vwsmaltz

bahwm wrote:We're all at The Blackthorn for dinner.

Hey - we're there too - small world.... LOL

Virgil

vwsmaltz

I brought 2 twelves - so you should be all set - I'm told I'm not allowed to being them back home...

cheron98 wrote:So y'all will laugh.

Apparently U-Haul knows me. Right after I posted the box request, I opened up the boxes of moving supplies I bought from U-Haul, who surprisingly had the best prices and selection. So I went through it to make sure it as all there, when I realized there were two boxes in there that looked suspiciously like case Styrofoam wine shippers, which I totally didn't order cuz they want like $17 each for them.

Sure enough, they were, complete with the little alcohol warning printed on them. They weren't on the packing slip, not in my order... Just random.

Then I realized they had NOT packed the Styrofoam picture corner pieces that I DID order (and was one of the reasons I went hunting for moving supplies in the first place).

I've emailed them about the mistake - just hoping they'll say "oops, keep the shippers, we'll send you those corner pieces". They're nice shippers!

Long story longer, don't take this as me saying I only need 2 boxes now, because they very well may tell me to bring the shippers back to a U-Haul shop. So please do still bring boxes

tiger7610

I think I'm all packed, just need to grab cash tomorrow morning, so the plan is for me to drive to D&J at some point before 10:30am, I'm aiming for 10am, but it will depend on the amount of ice on the road, and then carpool with the crew to canada. I should have my phone on if anything changes.