bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

The Discovery Passes are $40 this year, but they allow entry to 8 wineries! Here's the link: Niagara Ice Wine Festival The passes are available at the wineries in NOTL.

DETAILS
DATE: Fri - Sun. Jan. 25-27, 2013
TIME: TBD
THEME: Ice Wines--Oh, Yeah!
HOST: bahwm & ddeuddeg - Buffalo & Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
NEEDED: Passport or enhanced driver's license AND warm clothing!

WINERIES ON THE LIST IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
Between the Lines
Niagara College
Ice House

ATTENDEES:
1. bahwm
2. ddeuddeg
3. cheron98 - Chez B & D Arr. Fri PM
4. HAK - Chez B & D - Fri late Dep Sun PM
5. vwsmaltz - HGI Airport - Fri arr
6. vwsmaltz 's NEW WIFE (they just got married, Nov. 10th, I think!)
7. justplainjulie - BW Lackawanna - Fri 3:45ish
8. justplainjulie's +1
9. tiger
10. justinrsanderson
11. justinrsanderson's +1
12. wkdpanda - Fri arrival - BW Lackawanna
13. Paula -will join us for dinner Sat.

MAYBES:
1. tommythecat
2. sukeiasa

REGRETS:
-- fishzine
-- fishzine's +1
--klezman
--molarchae
--ajrod27
--PolarBear
--Mrs. PolarBear
--javalady
- anyone who misses this one!

Lodging close to bahwm & ddeuddeg's house:

Search for Best Western Plus the Inn of Lackawanna, NY Cesare & kttest and the stayed here and were happy with it. The polarbears stayed at what is now the Best Western Plus Galleria Inn & Suites at 601 Dingens Street Cheektowaga, NY 14206.

Search for Hampton Inn Buffalo South/I-90 ajrod stayed here and liked it.

Search for Country Inn & Suites West Seneca Hotel This is a brand new hotel. It is right next to the Search for Staybridge Suites West Seneca . cjsiege stayed at the Staybridge & was very happy with it. This place is quite new, also.

booking.com seems to have prices a slight bit cheaper.

Friday night dinner at 7PM at The Blackthorn - local pub near B&D's that serves another local favorite: Beef on Weck

Saturday breakfast: D[b]ick and Jenny's on Grand Island, planning on leaving our house at 9:00 and leaving D&J's at 10:30.

Saturday night dinner at 7 PM Seabar - one of the premiere sushi places in the area.

Quality Posts

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
bahwm wrote:January 11 - 27, 2013 are the dates for the upcoming Ice Wine Festival. It's not too early to start tossing around dates. The Discovery Passes are $40 this year, but they allow entry to 8 wineries! Here's the link: Niagara Ice Wine Festival

Might there be wootlegging services offered?

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

We barely make it through 6 in a day, now you want to do 8?

OH wait! That means we can stretch it over two days and take our lovely time at 4 wineries each day! Or something!

Yeah I'm in, by the way. Might be my last one for a while.

Man, y'know, it'll be nice to be just a couple hours from NYC and my parents... but I'll sure miss being halfway between Chicago and Buffalo.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

There will be woootlegging services offered if I go I'll have to keep this on the radar. It's crazy busy here the next while, but I loves the icewine festival.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rjquillin wrote:Might there be wootlegging services offered?

A little tough to pull that off, unless we get someone from SoCal to join us. Klezman is a possibility. On the other hand, any time we're headed out your way, we can pick up something and bring it along for you, since we always bring at least one shipping box with us to bring wine home. It wouldn't be asking much to bring it out west with some wine inside.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I might be interested, will have to see what is going on during that weekend

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I still have ice wine left from the festival earlier this year. It's great stuff! I just do not get around to it often.

I'm a definite maybe for next years festival. Flying across the country to taste wine is pretty fun

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Would love to say yes to this event, but that is one of my busiest times of the year at work, so I highly doubt I would be able to make it work.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

As long as ya'll choose one of the weekends at the end of the month (and I can figure out decent transportation), it might be a possibility for me. That's my busiest time of the year too, and we often have to work the first couple of the weekends in January. And we aren't allowed to take any days off, so all my travel would have to take place after work on a Friday, and returning on a Sunday.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ajrod27 wrote:I still have ice wine left from the festival earlier this year. It's great stuff! I just do not get around to it often.

I'm a definite maybe for next years festival. Flying across the country to taste wine is pretty fun

It sounds fun, you should go! ;)

I'm just hanging out, really.

ddeuddeg

inkycatz wrote:It sounds fun, you should go! ;)

It is fun, you should go!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

We are keeping an eye on this event. We will be weather dependent, as we will drive up and 7 hours in a snowstorm is not going to happen. So hopefully, it will come together for us.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:As long as ya'll choose one of the weekends at the end of the month (and I can figure out decent transportation), it might be a possibility for me. That's my busiest time of the year too, and we often have to work the first couple of the weekends in January. And we aren't allowed to take any days off, so all my travel would have to take place after work on a Friday, and returning on a Sunday.

Southwest Fare Sale - 40% off select flights Here's the thing. If you can only make the last weekend, and most people end up going a prior weekend, I'm sure at least 3 of us would have no problem going on the last weekend as well (I personally would skip the prior weekend in order to come out when you can), as D&B, I'm sure, would be happy to trot around with us, living so close and all. Because they NEED an excuse to pop into Canada.

Just make sure your passport is up to date and not expired. Check NOW. Because it is already October.

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:We are keeping an eye on this event. We will be weather dependent, as we will drive up and 7 hours in a snowstorm is not going to happen. So hopefully, it will come together for us.

That would be great if you guys could join us--it's been sooooo long! Seriously.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:Southwest Fare Sale - 40% off select flights Here's the thing. If you can only make the last weekend, and most people end up going a prior weekend, I'm sure at least 3 of us would have no problem going on the last weekend as well (I personally would skip the prior weekend in order to come out when you can), as D&B, I'm sure, would be happy to trot around with us, living so close and all. Because they NEED an excuse to pop into Canada.

Just make sure your passport is up to date and not expired. Check NOW. Because it is already October.

Better rates right now on JetBlue--$116 round trip, leaving Fri evening and returning Sun evening and these are direct flights to Buffalo--no stops in BWI & Midway! Therefore, a shorter flight & more time with his sweetie!

cheron98

bahwm wrote:Better rates right now on JetBlue--$116 round trip, leaving Fri evening and returning Sun evening and these are direct flights to Buffalo--no stops in BWI & Midway! Therefore, a shorter flight & more time with his sweetie!

Excellent.

By the way, I'm looking through my project timeline and it looks like my best chance of being out there is ALSO the last weekend of the month (26th/27th). So there's my vote.

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:Excellent.

By the way, I'm looking through my project timeline and it looks like my best chance of being out there is ALSO the last weekend of the month (26th/27th). So there's my vote.

Now I'm seeing $137.60 with JFK departure at 9:39 PM & BUF departure at 8:45 PM. I think the taxes went up! HAK should book it, ASAP before it goes up some more.

fishzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishzine

Oh I LOVE Niagara in the winter!!! I could be talked into doing this for a couple days, probably towards the back end. Could probably do the 25th thru 29th. Only tired one or two ice wines before, seems like a good reason to expand.

bahwm

fishzine wrote:Oh I LOVE Niagara in the winter!!! I could be talked into doing this for a couple days, probably towards the back end. Could probably do the 25th thru 29th. Only tired one or two ice wines before, seems like a good reason to expand.

It would be great to have you join us! IIRC, aren't you from NYC? I think that weekend works best for us anyway.

bahwm

I just updated the first post with people who have responded as preferring the Jan 26 & 27th weekend. This weekend is usually decent weather-wise out here--one can hope this year will be the same! HAK, apologies. I am allowing cheron to speak for you in this case.

Of course, we can always plan additional activities: Niagara Falls day or night; Buffalo chicken wing outing; brunch; anybody for art or music?

cheron98

bahwm wrote:I just updated the first post with people who have responded as preferring the Jan 26 & 27th weekend. This weekend is usually decent weather-wise out here--one can hope this year will be the same! HAK, apologies. I am allowing cheron to speak for you in this case.

Of course, we can always plan additional activities: Niagara Falls day or night; Buffalo chicken wing outing; brunch; anybody for art or music?

I've already made it clear to my boss that I'm taking the 25th off so I can drive out when there's daylight and be able to be there Friday evening and all day Saturday (and most of Sunday, too).

May I request the guest suite at Chez D&B?

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:I've already made it clear to my boss that I'm taking the 25th off so I can drive out when there's daylight and be able to be there Friday evening and all day Saturday (and most of Sunday, too).

May I request the guest suite at Chez D&B?

Cool! Maybe we can hit Seabar Friday night. Guest suite? First come, first served. You're in.

fishzine

bahwm wrote:It would be great to have you join us! IIRC, aren't you from NYC? I think that weekend works best for us anyway.

Nope from PA, but did the two sip-n-sails in NYC.

You can go ahead and put me firmly in the YES catagory. And will be trying to come up with a +1 for the weekend.

bahwm

fishzine wrote:Nope from PA, but did the two sip-n-sails in NYC.

What part of PA?

fishzine

bahwm wrote:What part of PA?

Southeastern. Lancaster County

tiger7610

I mean so far either weekend works since I'm only 2.5 hours away so it will depend on work, and weather. Fishzine, you were the person who won the raffle during the first sip and sail and opened it for the second right? Just trying to put woot names with facebook friend names together. So I'm still a maybe, but a very will try really hard to make it maybe.

fishzine

tiger7610 wrote:Fishzine, you were the person who won the raffle during the first sip and sail and opened it for the second right? Just trying to put woot names with facebook friend names together.

Yep, that is me. That was one nice bottle too...

tiger7610

Yes it was, glad to see that you might make it up to buffalo. If I make it, I can bring up some fingerlakes wine for you to try.

bahwm

fishzine wrote:Nope from PA, but did the two sip-n-sails in NYC.

You can go ahead and put me firmly in the YES catagory. And will be trying to come up with a +1 for the weekend.

You have been added to the YES category! It'll be good to see you again!

Somehow I don't remember that you said that you are a definite for the weekend last night. So, either I was more tired than I thought, or you did an edit!

ddeuddeg

tiger7610 wrote:I mean so far either weekend works since I'm only 2.5 hours away so it will depend on work, and weather. Fishzine, you were the person who won the raffle during the first sip and sail and opened it for the second right? Just trying to put woot names with facebook friend names together. So I'm still a maybe, but a very will try really hard to make it maybe.

I have those 2 bottles of SH 2010 Barbera you asked me to get for you. Next time you're in town, I can hand it over.

tiger7610

ddeuddeg wrote:I have those 2 bottles of SH 2010 Barbera you asked me to get for you. Next time you're in town, I can hand it over.

Awesome! currently it might end up being in jan, my schedule for the rest of the year is kind of hectic.

vwsmaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwsmaltz

We're game - weekend looks like it will work! Monica's birthday is on the 25th - so what better way to celebrate!

Virgil

ddeuddeg

vwsmaltz wrote:We're game - weekend looks like it will work! Monica's birthday is on the 25th - so what better way to celebrate!

Virgil

Excellent! We'll look forward to seeing you again.

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

Hmmm....ice wine and cheap plane tickets on Southwest. Count my +1 and I in for the festivities.

klezman

molarchae's response was that it sounds great! Inching toward positivity...what are rooming options if we fly to Buffalo instead of to Toronto to save the extra few hundred $? Decent hotels? Do d&b have a mansion that'll fit everybody?

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
klezman wrote:molarchae's response was that it sounds great! Inching toward positivity...what are rooming options if we fly to Buffalo instead of to Toronto to save the extra few hundred $? Decent hotels? Do d&b have a mansion that'll fit everybody?

One guest suite that was already snatched up. Decent hotels near by at reasonable prices. I have to look and see where we stayed last time. Nice place and just a short drive to d&b.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

justplainjulie wrote:Hmmm....ice wine and cheap plane tickets on Southwest. Count my +1 and I in for the festivities.

Awesome! I'll do updates tonight!

bahwm

klezman wrote:molarchae's response was that it sounds great! Inching toward positivity...what are rooming options if we fly to Buffalo instead of to Toronto to save the extra few hundred $? Decent hotels? Do d&b have a mansion that'll fit everybody?

That would be great if you guys would be able to make it! Maison D&B isn't such a mansion! However, there are some nice hotels 5 - 10 min away. They just opened a Comfort Inn & Suites on Slade Ave in West Seneca next to the Staybridge & a quarter mile from the Hampton Inn. I'll post links tonight. I think the one that polarbear mentioned has changed ownership.

klezman

bahwm wrote:That would be great if you guys would be able to make it! Maison D&B isn't such a mansion! However, there are some nice hotels 5 - 10 min away. They just opened a Comfort Inn & Suites on Slade Ave in West Seneca next to the Staybridge & a quarter mile from the Hampton Inn. I'll post links tonight. I think the one that polarbear mentioned has changed ownership.

Cool...thanks! I know $ is going to be a consideration what with two flights from CA and molarchae's uncertain job situation. Any ways to reduce the cost - like sharing a hotel room or something - would be greatly appreciated (and increase our likelihood of making the trip)!

bahwm

klezman wrote:Cool...thanks! I know $ is going to be a consideration what with two flights from CA and molarchae's uncertain job situation. Any ways to reduce the cost - like sharing a hotel room or something - would be greatly appreciated (and increase our likelihood of making the trip)!

Uh, oh. Uncertain job situation? What's going on?

If you want to check some rates in other hotels, feel free to do so. If you want to run them by us, we'll be happy to help.