MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 183 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chemvictim wrote:I really need to learn how to feign enthusiasm for all things baseball. My husband is so annoyed that I don't give half a flip.

Who's on First?

Edit: Me!!

HD version

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

So...I am apple-free. It feels weird. I had already talked myself out of buying an iphone, not that it matters since I can't get one for however many weeks.

My husband's ipod nano broke and I gave him mine. They're in the process of rolling out a new design for the nano, and I'm not impressed. I got a Sandisk something-or-other from amazon for $35 and off I go. Transferring audible files isn't as easy as it was with itunes, but it's not a huge deal.

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Heading out shortly for a massage. Hoping to get rid of a bunch of those ole toxins and to clear out my head--still stuffed up. Then, to dinner at our niece's. She picked up a 5 lb dry aged prime rib roast for dinner. ddeuddeg is theatening to bring a Corison! What a great way to spoil her! Looking forward to the rest of the day!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chemvictim wrote:Farmer bastards in Nebraska must be different from farmer bastards in Arkansas! Some of my fondest memories of my dad involve epic cursing.

farmer bastards in Nebraska only curse at you. Loudly and hilariously, they then act aghast and holier than thou if you curse back. Or even if they're not cursing at you, but in general if you curse they act massively offended. It's pretty awesome.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bahwm wrote:Heading out shortly for a massage. Hoping to get rid of a bunch of those ole toxins and to clear out my head--still stuffed up. Then, to dinner at our niece's. She picked up a 5 lb dry aged prime rib roast for dinner. ddeuddeg is theatening to bring a Corison! What a great way to spoil her! Looking forward to the rest of the day!

shouldn't be a threat. if you have a beautiful piece of prime rib, you treat it well.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I'm off to the great outdoors! Benefits include communing with nature and avoiding college football on tv.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
Itwdswafo wrote:Just watched 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi' and ... wow. Amazing. Flights to Tokyo are $1000, and dinner there is $382 for 20 pieces of sushi. Is that too much for sushi?

Tokyo is amazing but more expensive than anything you've likely ever tried to comprehend. $382 for a 10 course Omakase at high end restaurant seems expensive but not absurdly so.

You could probably go to Tsukiji market at 4am and score the freshest sushi ever for a fraction of that though...

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bahwm wrote:Heading out shortly for a massage. Hoping to get rid of a bunch of those ole toxins and to clear out my head--still stuffed up. Then, to dinner at our niece's. She picked up a 5 lb dry aged prime rib roast for dinner. ddeuddeg is theatening to bring a Corison! What a great way to spoil her! Looking forward to the rest of the day!

I'm extremely jealous of all of this except the head cold...

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Enjoy! there is nothing like a good massage to make you feel better!

mommadeb1

Going to see Mythbusters behind the scenes tonight.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chemvictim wrote:I really need to learn how to embrace enthusiasm for all things baseball.

IFTFY.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

bhodilee wrote:shouldn't be a threat. if you have a beautiful piece of prime rib, you treat it well.

Roger that!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Wine pairing suggestions for short ribs? Slow cooked in chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and some other spices.

Sparky will recommend PS, which could go well. So I challenge him to pick a specific wine.

any other more general ideas?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Wine pairing suggestions for short ribs? Slow cooked in chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and some other spices.

Sparky will recommend PS, which could go well. So I challenge him to pick a specific wine.

any other more general ideas?

Red.

Red is a specific wine!

Have to see what's in your cellar.

Edit: Swami sez:

You haz Ty's 2006 PS. Also the 2007 Little Vineyards PS. Or the 2005 Pedroncelli PS.

Of course, you might be able to try a Zin as well, even an InZin. Even the 2006 Wellington Zin (which says 2012 end drink).

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Red.

Red is a specific wine!

Have to see what's in your cellar.

Edit: Swami sez:

You haz Ty's 2006 PS. Also the 2007 Little Vineyards PS. Or the 2005 Pedroncelli PS.

Of course, you might be able to try a Zin as well, even an InZin. Even the 2006 Wellington Zin (which says 2012 end drink).

Thanks. We went same line for tonight. 2008 Armida Il Campo. 75% Zin and 25% PS. I will review your suggestions for when we have the leftover second half.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Just found out over the summer someone named one of their cats after me... really not sure how I feel about that.

In other news: Looking to possibly move either to Brooklyn, NY or Secaucus, NJ... any one have any opinions on these areas?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
North316 wrote:Becareful with the Vistaprint vouchers. They are awesome, but you can only use one at a time (or at least you could when I did it 1.5 yrs ago), and they also cancel out most other sales/promotions going at the same time. They are still a better deal than the sales and freebies they offer, just keep this in mind when making your purchases. You may have to buy in smaller lots to take advantage of all your vouchers.

Yeah we have a spreadsheet that takes care of all the little break out of everything for the vouchers so we have it all under control. We have two Groupon and two Living Social vouchers to use. Plus the vouchers give an
additional 30 percent discount on everything on the site. The first round has been ordered

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:I cuss all the time at work. Not if some farmer bastard is up front, but otherwise constantly. On purpose of course. I like to make people uncomfortable.

Oh it's not a filter... farmer bastard?

cheron98

Itwdswafo wrote:Just found out over the summer someone named one of their cats after me... really not sure how I feel about that.

In other news: Looking to possibly move either to Brooklyn, NY or Secaucus, NJ... any one have any opinions on these areas?

New Jersey's wine laws suck. if you really want to keep buying wine don't live in New Jersey

cheron98

Whole bottle of vino noceto sangiovese says it's bedtime now. Previous posts brought to you by speech input. G'night everyone!

mommadeb1

Well, the Mythbusters behind the Myth tour. wasn't too bad... I wouldn't spend full price on tickets...we got a living social deal so it was good deal...

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
tiger7610 wrote:Americans always have to be different

...and pick the silliest version. Middle Endian dates make no sense. Please choose Big or Little Endian. When using unambiguous words it doesn't matter.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:...and pick the silliest version. Middle Endian dates make no sense. Please choose Big or Little Endian. When using unambiguous words it doesn't matter.

Anyone have a rolled up newspaper?

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:...and pick the silliest version. Middle Endian dates make no sense. Please choose Big or Little Endian. When using unambiguous words it doesn't matter.

Once had my bank call me to verify a check presented, as it wasn't written Little Endian as they are accustomed to seeing from me. That was years ago, with automated processing, wonder if they even notice dates now..?

CT

MarkDaSpark

Anyone in SoCal interested in the other 2/3'rds of the Dracula case?

I only need 2 of each, so 4 total out of it.

bahwm

Thank you, Sparky, for adding Buffalo/WNY #10 to the new gatherings post.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Anyone in SoCal interested in the other 2/3'rds of the Dracula case?

I only need 2 of each, so 4 total out of it.

I'll grab 1/3 if you can hang on to them...

CT

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Thank you, Sparky, for adding Buffalo/WNY #10 to the new gatherings post.

No problem.

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:I'll grab 1/3 if you can hang on to them...

So we just need someone for the other 3rd ... Tim?

They are supposed to arrive by Halloween, so they might arrive before the 27th, which means you could pick them up at the SoCal gathering then.

polarbear22

Trying St. George Absinthe Verte. Wonderful. On the rocks, a little water, but no sugar. It doesn't need it.

Wormwood must be strong. I just thought Faith Hill was coming on to me. Just me.

My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Survived a weekend of cub scout festivities! It was fun, but an incredible amount of work, given that the my oldest was a host, which means setting up and taking down and everything! It was great. Got some great videos as well.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Dammit, just sent a sarcastic email off to woot for an email that I read COMPLETELY wrong. They sent me an email back in Jan for an issue and I sent a sarcastic reply. Immediately after hitting send I looked at the date of the previous email. UGH!

Now I sent an apology email back to them. Nothing taste worse than a plate full of crow.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan

This years Balloon Fiesta is over. It was a rather horrible week to have it this year. Lots of wind, storms, and all around bad weather. Many of the events were cancelled, however the events that didn't get cancelled were wonderful.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

Itwdswafo

bkarlan wrote:This years Balloon Fiesta is over. It was a rather horrible week to have it this year. Lots of wind, storms, and all around bad weather. Many of the events were cancelled, however the events that didn't get cancelled were wonderful.

Was that in new Mexico?? Oh man I've been wanting to go to that. There's a pin that was released a number of years back that I want. Was hoping one of the pin traders there would have it.

bkarlan

Itwdswafo wrote:Was that in new Mexico?? Oh man I've been wanting to go to that. There's a pin that was released a number of years back that I want. Was hoping one of the pin traders there would have it.

yeah this is Albuquerque, NM. Never been big into pin trading, but if you let me know the pin and what it looks like I can see if any of my friends have it.

ddeuddeg

Itwdswafo wrote:Just found out over the summer someone named one of their cats after me... really not sure how I feel about that.

People actually live in Secaucus? I thought it was just hotels and outlet shops and industrial parks.

Itwdswafo

ddeuddeg wrote:People actually live in Secaucus? I thought it was just hotels and outlet shops and industrial parks.

Ya, it looks that way. Some luxury apartments were recently built there.

bahwm

I got an email from UPS today to tell me that I should expect a delivery from amazon on Tuesday. I logged in to track it. I have no idea what it could possibly be. I have not purchased anything that I have not received! Guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

On another, slightly related note, my AmEx cc had a charge on it from Brazil along with the appropriate currency exchange charge! I called AmEx right away. I am not liable for any of these charges. They suggested that it was just some weird blip and that I should just keep an eye on my account, if more charges appear, then they'll send a new card. I asked if he had any idea how a charge from Brazil could occur. He said that there are soooo many possibilities these days. Thinking back on another charge: I had the athletic club charge my membership to my card over the phone. If someone else did that with their AmEx card and someone gave a wrong digit, then it could be on someone else's card. They don't even need the "name exactly as it appears on the card"! I cannot remember if they need the code # from the back. Ah, one more thing to keep watch over!

Urg! Wrong pub!