quality posts: 1699 Private Messages Cesare

Ardente Estate Winery Library Cabernet 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $129.20*) 54% off List Price
1997 Ardente Cabernet Sauvignon, Atlas Peak, Napa Valley
2001 Ardente Cabernet Sauvignon, Atlas Peak, Napa Valley
2002 Ardente Cabernet Sauvignon, Atlas Peak, Napa Valley
CT links above

Winery website

• Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.
  • *Now Includes winery srp, (lowest) sales tax and shipping.
  • -il Cesare
    Sole Absolute Triple
    Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
    “In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20

I have not had any of these wines, nor can I vouch for the quality here, but based on the combination of age/price/varietal/ava this should sell through rather quickly.

Who knows something about these other than whats on the stats page?

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

cortot20 wrote:I have not had any of these wines, nor can I vouch for the quality here, but based on the combination of age/price/varietal/ava this should sell through rather quickly.

These are a find. iffy label, outstanding pedigree, well made.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
    cortot20 wrote:I have not had any of these wines, nor can I vouch for the quality here, but based on the combination of age/price/varietal/ava this should sell through rather quickly.

I know that the 2004s have been selling at similar ($20) price points if one buys by the case from another retailer but this appears to have 3 fantastic years (I have heard inklings of '02 being under rated) and it has woot priced shipping. This does appear to be a true woot wine deal. I too say this will be a rapid sell out.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
    Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
    My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of October 7th

October
    10/12: Chicago #?
    10/19:NorCal #13: Pre-1997 Wines
    10/20: Detroit #12: The Last Hurrah
    10/27: SoCal #22: Locker-warming party

November
    TBD: Austin #1
    TBD: Minnesota #?

December
    TBD:SoCal #23: Housewarming at Chez Klez(man)

Pending
    TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
    TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
    TBD: Dallas #11
    TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
    *This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm not buying wine, but this is the kind of deal you can't "buy for the same price at the grocery store." Nice deal, WD.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

These labels look familiar. I think they were on the wtso sale?

Neal K Bharadwaj

cortot20

i see that the winemaker for the 97' was Philippe Melka, I have no idea who this is but I also noticed he is not listed on the other two vintages. Who made those? because spec wise the wines seem similar except the alcohol.

CT

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Cesare, you have a PM.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Had the 2001 Cab a couple weeks ago with dinner at the Fig Cafe. I didn't take formal notes but I remember it going well with my meal of duck confit and lamb sausage. It still has a lot of fruit left and some secondary green characteristics poking through. I wouldn't say it's past peak, it is drinking rather well now; will probably continue to develop over the next 5 years. At this price, it is a definite buy!

cortot20

Since someone else noted this winery was on another deal site recently and this offer is not a typical type of offer, it begs the question, is this winery liquidating or have they been purchased and the new owners are liquidating old inventory?

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
    nealkb wrote:These labels look familiar. I think they were on the wtso sale?

The 2003 was, I have also seen the 2004 up.

The 97 and 2001 vintages were absolutely fantastic and 02 was pretty damned good too. Other sites got the cast offs, WD found us the gold.

It is often said by mid level Bordeaux drinkers, buy the lesser houses in the best years rather than the big houses in off years. Take these as being a lesser winery in years where it would be difficult to make bad wine.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
    Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
    My Cellar

cortot20

Winedavid39 wrote:These are a find. iffy label, outstanding pedigree, well made.

I agree with you on the labels being bad. They say the label design should not influence sales since its about whats inside. But its almost as if they are not trying to sell their wine with that design.

CT

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:The 2003 was, I have also seen the 2004 up.

The 97 and 2001 vintages were absolutely fantastic and 02 was pretty damned good too. Other sites got the cast offs, WD found us the gold.

It is often said by mid level Bordeaux drinkers, buy the lesser houses in the best years rather than the big houses in off years. Take these as being a lesser winery in years where it would be difficult to make bad wine.

well put.

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

It appears the producer of these is Ardente and not Atlas Peak as some CT links indicate. This was verified by Cesare in a deleted post.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
    Winedavid39 wrote:These are a find. iffy label, outstanding pedigree, well made.

Inquiring minds want to know how to tell the difference between the 2001 & 2002? The labels appear to be missing the vintage that is on the 1997 bottle.

I'd rather not try to guess which is which!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
    *This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

FYI: Cleaned out some of the CT discussion that seems to be resolved (by request). Carry on.

FORUM MODERATOR
    To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
    ••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
    CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I haven't tried this wine yet. But a wine from the same ava, atlas peak, is on wtso with good ratings. I can only imagine it must have equally high ratings? If I can order them in the morning I'm in.

Neal K Bharadwaj

forumc40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forumc40

This wine does seem to be popping up a lot lately! I can't speak for these vintages, but I had a bottle of the 2004 about a month ago, and was very happy with it. I think at it's original price point, there is some stiff competition, but at 20/bottle, you can't go wrong. Regarding the 04, CT reviewers commented there was a little bit of inconsistency, but if these are anything like the bottle I had, it's a deal. In for one.

Ain't easy...

greyday

quality posts: 55 Private Messages greyday

I resisted the corisone, but can't pass this up. In for three.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 42 Private Messages fredrinaldi

It's a Cab, in for 2

First Sucker:smiledr747
    Last Wooter to Woot:fredrinaldi

wgschick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wgschick

In checking the winery website (http://www.ardentewinery.com/Library_Wines2.asp), they have the 1997 and 2002 library cabs listed for $330/6 bottles. Wine.woot is definitely a good deal today.

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

In for 2!

true559

quality posts: 25 Private Messages true559

Hmmmmmmmmm. Seems like a unique buying opportunity here. Gonna have to think about this one.

hibliss

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hibliss

I am intrigued....in for 2.

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

This has to be worth a flyer for one, if not more. 2 very good older years + 2002 for $60.

The 1997 has very good stats and looks very interesting

Parker likes the 2001, which doesn't augur well for its longevity because it's probably pretty fruit forward. A chance to see how that style's aging, though.

2002 looks to be very much like the 2001, numberswise, but probably not the wine the 2001 is.

It's hard to pull the trigger after Corison on the website and a 2005 Corison Kronos/Napa Valley find in the vicinity, but I think one's in order.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
    Pull lots of corks!
    Remember what you taste!

rockoverlondon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockoverlondon
    cortot20 wrote:Since someone else noted this winery was on another deal site recently and this offer is not a typical type of offer, it begs the question, is this winery liquidating or have they been purchased and the new owners are liquidating old inventory?

I was wondering this myself. I'm also wondering if this operation is still in business? Based on the website it appears that the most current vintage is 2004. It sounds like this vineyard was a hobby turned into a business and then back to a hobby and now they're offloading inventory for cash flow? Anyone have any insight into what's going on here?

ardentevintner

quality posts: 18 Private Messages ardentevintner

Don't let the "vintage" label fool ya! These wines are incredible! Carlo is a meticulous owner on top of every detail of his businesses. These wines are made to age. They are made with the best quality grapes, aged in french oak and then aged in bottle for two years prior to release. You will not be disappointed!

ardentevintner

rockoverlondon wrote:I was wondering this myself. I'm also wondering if this operation is still in business? Based on the website it appears that the most current vintage is 2004. It sounds like this vineyard was a hobby turned into a business and then back to a hobby and now they're offloading inventory for cash flow? Anyone have any insight into what's going on here?

The winery is still very much in business! As mentioned on another reply, Carlo ages his wines both in barrel and in bottle. 2 years in bottle! Therefore, his releases are quite a bit behind others. He hasn't even released his 2006 yet...This sale is to create some marketing buzz around the winery especially since many are unfamiliar with the Atlas Peak area.

ardentevintner

hibliss wrote:I am intrigued....in for 2.

I just opened a few yesterday for a party. The wine was gulped down within 30 minutes by people who said, "I don't like wine.." Just sayin!

ardentevintner

dalematthew wrote:In for 2!

We will not disappoint. Enjoy! These wines may have an "iffy" label but what matters is what is inside. Well balanced, rich and smooth Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignons. Incredibly well made.

ardentevintner

greyday wrote:I resisted the corisone, but can't pass this up. In for three.

Try to save a few bottles to share with friends. It will be difficult to resist keeping them to yourself;)

ardentevintner

MarkDaSpark wrote:Inquiring minds want to know how to tell the difference between the 2001 & 2002? The labels appear to be missing the vintage that is on the 1997 bottle.

I'd rather not try to guess which is which!!!

They are listed on the back of the label so you won't have to guess

ardentevintner

nealkb wrote:These labels look familiar. I think they were on the wtso sale?

Yes, unfortunately, a distributor made a deal with WTSO before the woot deal...not a decision made by the winery. Don't let it hold you back though! These are 3 amazing vintages! WTSO only had one.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
    ardentevintner wrote:Yes, unfortunately, a distributor made a deal with WTSO before the woot deal...not a decision made by the winery. Don't let it hold you back though! These are 3 amazing vintages! WTSO only had one.

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm just hanging out, really.

ardentevintner

rockoverlondon wrote:I was wondering this myself. I'm also wondering if this operation is still in business? Based on the website it appears that the most current vintage is 2004. It sounds like this vineyard was a hobby turned into a business and then back to a hobby and now they're offloading inventory for cash flow? Anyone have any insight into what's going on here?

Yes, the winery is still very much in business. Carlo doesn't do anything as a hobby! If you know anything about Mr. Espresso you will understand what I am talking about. He has the same attitude about his winery and works hand-on with everyone involved with his vineyard/winery. This is just a great deal put on to promote the label. Let's be real. Easy to get lost among the plethora of Napa Valley cabs...

ardentevintner

inkycatz wrote:Thanks for the clarification!

You are very welcome!

ardentevintner

Check out my reply below. Definitely not going out of business! Carlo is Italian and his wife French. They're winemaking perspective is unique. They make wines to age. Once you try the wines you will see how well these wines hold up! Cheers

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

In for 3