2001 Berberana Viña Alarde Spanish Rioja Reserva
2003 Berberana Viña Alarde Spanish Rioja Reserva
2001 Berberana Viña Alarde Spanish Rioja Gran Reserva
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Rioja is somewhat unknown to me. I know it's primarily Tempranillo which I am familiar with but how does Rioja age? These are at the youngest 9 years old and the oldest 13 years. What sort of characteristics does an aged Rioja take on at 10+ years?

CT

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

So many unknowns. Easy pass.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

We had one of the '01s at the office. Nice, aged complexity. Reminded me that I dig wines from Rioja. Aged Rioja. even better.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

silcoccia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages silcoccia
neilfindswine wrote:We had one of the '01s at the office. Nice, aged complexity. Reminded me that I dig wines from Rioja. Aged Rioja. even better.

I tasted this same wine with Neil and we both along with WineDavid39 found it intriguing and delicate and earthy toned. I tasted the other three all after having decanted for 20 min+ and they were as good or better than the 01 Reserva, The 01 Gran Reserva was absolutely exquiste: Ruby red, tart cherry nose, still bright fruit on the palate. Very well structured, delicate tannins and elegant finish. That bottle didn't hang around. Overall, a great assortment of well aged Reserva wines that express the Rioja region and their ability to produce excellent wines that age beautifully.

Coach Sil

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
silcoccia wrote:I tasted this same wine with Neil and we both along with WineDavid39 found it intriguing and delicate and earthy toned. I tasted the other three all after having decanted for 20 min+ and they were as good or better than the 01 Reserva, The 01 Gran Reserva was absolutely exquiste: Ruby red, tart cherry nose, still bright fruit on the palate. Very well structured, delicate tannins and elegant finish. That bottle didn't hang around. Overall, a great assortment of well aged Reserva wines that express the Rioja region and their ability to produce excellent wines that age beautifully.

Thank's so much.....was on the fence.... Now in for at least one set!

silcoccia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages silcoccia
bobrush12866 wrote:Thank's so much.....was on the fence.... Now in for at least one set!

Glad it helped. I mean, really, where are you going to find 4 different vintage Spanish wines from the same winery in an historical region--and all over 9 years bottle aged???

Coach Sil

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

This is just the kind of deal that made me fall in love with woot! An offer of 4 bottles of aged red wine from a respected winery (founded in 1877) that I'd never have found on my own. Reasonably priced to me, with a nice discount.

Love me some nice Tempranillo!!!

In for 1.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Not sure whether it's a great deal, but feels like a solid price for a wine vetted by WD with some good bottle age from Rioja. Loves me some Rioja...in for 1.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
emccarl wrote:This is just the kind of deal that made me fall in love with woot! An offer of 4 bottles of aged red wine from a respected winery (founded in 1877) that I'd never have found on my own. Reasonably priced to me, with a nice discount.

Love me some nice Tempranillo!!!

In for 1.

klezman wrote:Not sure whether it's a great deal, but feels like a solid price for a wine vetted by WD with some good bottle age from Rioja. Loves me some Rioja...in for 1.

My sentiments as well, with the gran riserva putting me over the top. In my experience, I have never been disappointed with a decently crafted rioja with this much age behind it. Tempranillos are my favorite wines; my dream wine-tasting trip is northern Spain.

If all that these wines are is "decently crafted", this is a reasonable price. To any extent the juices exceed that simple benchmark, it becomes a better deal.