cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

Had to get one--wish it could have been more. Pushed over the edge by comments from those I've come to respect, including NightGhost, and very happy to see Cathy's participation.
Cheers!

Last Wooter to Woot:cynthylee

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
cathycorison wrote:All is well at Corison. We're picking Kronos Vineyard tomorrow!

you want some help with the picking??

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
tjhoulihan wrote:based on this pricing it appears Cathy doesn't really need Woots help with distribution anymore.

No, she doesn't. The press has taken notice of her quality over the last few years, and I find it very kind that she offers a discount to the Wine.Woot community at all. I suspect she would have little trouble selling all her production at retail prices.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
NightGhost wrote:I'm NightGhost, and I've been dead for two years. But this wine is so excellent, I had to come back just to tell you about it.

(apologies to Robert Klein)

Welcome back! so you finally drank one of the Corison's

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

stebs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stebs
rpm wrote:Thanks, Cathy!

For any of you on the fence, Cathy just made two very important things very clear:

1. She sees her 2005s as very close to as good as the finest vintage of the decade (2001); and

2. This is it for the 2005 Helios, a woot exclusive.

Winos, this is a chance to get two (2) really outstanding bottles of 2005 Cabernet for close to the release price, but with 4 additional years of bottle age, with comfort it's been properly stored for its entire life. With the Syrah as a bonus.

Do it. When you open it in a couple of years with a fine rack of lamb or prime rib, you will not be thinking about the price. You will be taking the kudos of your significant other and guests as to your forethought in having such a wine to serve them.

So, if I just stumbled upon a wine shop in Rhode Island that has 2001 Napa Cab in stock for $64, and has 2001 Kronos in stock for $120 (with slightly water damaged labels), would anyone want me to wootleg them some?

Neophyte Oenophile Extraordinaire

cpsigsegv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cpsigsegv

I was lucky to chance upon wine.woot and Corison several years ago. It was the first time that I experienced a truly exceptional wine. Anytime Corison comes up, it's an auto-buy for me. About half of my long-term cellar is Corison.

Thank you Cathy for making such exceptional wines, and continuing to offer them to us here.

I am in for 3.

rpm

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rpm
stebs wrote:So, if I just stumbled upon a wine shop in Rhode Island that has 2001 Napa Cab in stock for $64, and has 2001 Kronos in stock for $120 (with slightly water damaged labels), would anyone want me to wootleg them some?

Yes, up to 3 of each. pm me

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

NightGhost wrote:I'm NightGhost, and I've been dead for two years. But this wine is so excellent, I had to come back just to tell you about it.

(apologies to Robert Klein)

Welcome back. I hope we'll see you around some more. You've been missed.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

cathycorison

quality posts: 30 Private Messages cathycorison
rlmanzo wrote:Cathy,

Love you wines.

Do you no longer ship to Connecticut?
(There have been lots of errors lately with ship-to states)

Thanks!(Hope, Hope....)

We've had to more careful as states crack down. Call the winery at 707.963.0826 and ask for Hardy to see if there is any work-around.

cathycorison

cpsigsegv wrote:I was lucky to chance upon wine.woot and Corison several years ago. It was the first time that I experienced a truly exceptional wine. Anytime Corison comes up, it's an auto-buy for me. About half of my long-term cellar is Corison.

You are most welcome. Woot!

Thank you Cathy for making such exceptional wines, and continuing to offer them to us here.

I am in for 3.

cathycorison

SmilingBoognish wrote:No, she doesn't. The press has taken notice of her quality over the last few years, and I find it very kind that she offers a discount to the Wine.Woot community at all. I suspect she would have little trouble selling all her production at retail prices.

Word.

cathycorison

cpsigsegv wrote:I was lucky to chance upon wine.woot and Corison several years ago. It was the first time that I experienced a truly exceptional wine. Anytime Corison comes up, it's an auto-buy for me. About half of my long-term cellar is Corison.

I am in for 3.

You are most welcome.

cathycorison

stebs wrote:So, if I just stumbled upon a wine shop in Rhode Island that has 2001 Napa Cab in stock for $64, and has 2001 Kronos in stock for $120 (with slightly water damaged labels), would anyone want me to wootleg them some?

Please let me know if there is any left after all wooters get what they want. Those prices are amazing (we sell the 2001 Corison Cabernet here at the winery for $95!)

cathycorison

richardhod wrote:you want some help with the picking??

Careful what you offer! Picking grapes is one of the hardest things in the world to do. I am in awe of the folks who do it. They work on a crew of 8 and are paid by the ton. A good crew is hard to get on and picks *really* fast (and makes a pile of money). They literally run with full, 40+ pound lugs. I'll try to take an iPhone video tomorrow and post it on twitter.

rpm

cathycorison wrote:Careful what you offer! Picking grapes is one of the hardest things in the world to do. I am in awe of the folks who do it. They work on a crew of 8 and are paid by the ton. A good crew is hard to get on and picks *really* fast (and makes a pile of money). They literally run with full, 40+ pound lugs. I'll try to take an iPhone video tomorrow and post it on twitter.

Word!! It's been close to 40 years since I worked a harvest - and I wasn't doing the hard work the pickers do! This isn't the pleasant stroll amongst the vines (singing ridiculous songs) while nubile nymphs tread the grapes.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

Couldn't resist Cathy's Charm!

In for 2!

First Sucker: mill
Last Wooter to Woot: emccarl
Last Purchase: a few seconds ago

curkendall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages curkendall

This reminds me that I'm still sitting on my 2000 and 2001 Corison Cab vertical from a 2008 woot. Need to drink that stuff...

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
curkendall wrote:This reminds me that I'm still sitting on my 2000 and 2001 Corison Cab vertical from a 2008 woot. Need to drink that stuff...

Why?

CT

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

Interested as well in 2 of each...Just send a PM to u

stebs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stebs
bobrush12866 wrote:Interested as well in 2 of each...Just send a PM to u

FYI to all who are interested, the Kronos has all been purchased. The shop has limited amounts of the 1999 Napa Cabernet, and more of the 2001 and 2001 Napa Cabernets.

Neophyte Oenophile Extraordinaire

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

With all my talk of never missing an offer from Cathy I almost forgot to push the button! Problem solved...

Last wooter to woot:tytiger58

Now if Kyle gets me a bottle of that Kronos I will consider the week a success

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rpm

stebs wrote:FYI to all who are interested, the Kronos has all been purchased. The shop has limited amounts of the 1999 Napa Cabernet, and more of the 2001 and 2001 Napa Cabernets.

I note Cathy doesn't have any 1999 showing, either Kronos or Napa Valley. While I'm sure Cathy made a decent wine that year, 1999 was a generally weak year for Napa Cabernet. I would approach the 1999 as ready to drink now, subject to caution if not properly stored.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Where?!

Total wine and more brea. Or the 04 in rancho.

CT

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
rpm wrote:I note Cathy doesn't have any 1999 showing, either Kronos or Napa Valley. While I'm sure Cathy made a decent wine that year, 1999 was a generally weak year for Napa Cabernet. I would approach the 1999 as ready to drink now, subject to caution if not properly stored.

On a side note... just spoke with Hardy(sorry if I got the name wrong) at the winery, and he mentioned the 1998 could be the star of the 1990's, even surpassing the 1997, if you are looking for older vintages. Disclaimer: he goes for a glass of earth over fruit.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

lassow

Pier Liquors in Narraganset has the 2004 Corison for around $60 if anyone is interested. Picked up a few earlier this year and, like an impatient American, drank one. You may have to ask for it as the wine may still be in storage.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

rpm wrote:Word!! It's been close to 40 years since I worked a harvest - and I wasn't doing the hard work the pickers do! This isn't the pleasant stroll amongst the vines (singing ridiculous songs) while nubile nymphs tread the grapes.

RPM, did you actually just say " Word" !! ??

you are cracking me up today ( in addition to your always educational input...)

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
SmilingBoognish wrote:No, she doesn't. The press has taken notice of her quality over the last few years, and I find it very kind that she offers a discount to the Wine.Woot community at all. I suspect she would have little trouble selling all her production at retail prices.

What's more, this is what we should hope for for the few extraordinary wine makers that are selling their wines here - there's no good reason to begrudge success when it is bestowed upon someone who is doing exceptional work, as Cathy is, especially when even with that success their wines still show up occasionally on wine.woot.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Total wine and more brea. Or the 04 in rancho.

Rancho says they have no Kronos in stock.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rpm

Winedavid39 wrote:RPM, did you actually just say " Word" !! ??

you are cracking me up today ( in addition to your always educational input...)

Gotta keep you smilin' WD, it's my job....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

lassow wrote:Pier Liquors in Narraganset has the 2004 Corison for around $60 if anyone is interested. Picked up a few earlier this year and, like an impatient American, drank one. You may have to ask for it as the wine may still be in storage.

Definitely worth pick up a few at that price!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

jawlz wrote:What's more, this is what we should hope for for the few extraordinary wine makers that are selling their wines here - there's no good reason to begrudge success when it is bestowed upon someone who is doing exceptional work, as Cathy is, especially when even with that success their wines still show up occasionally on wine.woot.

Indeed. As someone noted earlier, Cathy could sell everything at full retail. And, indeed, she could probably raise her prices substantially and still sell out. But, I think she's a lady who runs her business with the same integrity she makes her wine: she remembers her friends and tries do right by them. She's one of a very small handful of truly profound and intentional winemakers.

If even half the people in the industry came close, it would be a different world in Napa and Sonoma counties.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Rancho says they have no Kronos in stock.

Odd.
Their website will let you order it.

I just ordered the 05 from brea.

Edit: I ordered the 05 Kronos and they called and said they actually had the 07 and that the price was screwed up but they would honor the $70 price for me. Muhaha!

To bad I only ordered 1.

CT

lassow

jawlz wrote:What's more, this is what we should hope for for the few extraordinary wine makers that are selling their wines here - there's no good reason to begrudge success when it is bestowed upon someone who is doing exceptional work, as Cathy is, especially when even with that success their wines still show up occasionally on wine.woot.

I am very thankful of the opportunity to try her wines! Now just need to up the income in order to afford more of them.

lassow

rpm wrote:Definitely worth pick up a few at that price!

There are 4 bottles remaining @ $67 (don't remember if price is accurate). They also have Obsidian Ridge 2005 for around $20, a good one to drink now if you have never tried it, and brings the average cost per bottle down when purchased with Corison

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

I slept on it and then pondered some more but couldn't resist.

Nice lively conversation and participation today with respect to a great wine = increased sales.

Take note Woot on the formula here.

Now if only we could bring back the rattage.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
dalematthew wrote:Now if only we could bring back the rattage.

I am in no way affiliated with Woot, and would absolutely love the chance to give a review of a free bottle of wine, I think doing away with the labrat program is smart business. First, with a wine for sale every day it would be onerous for the company to conduct the program. Second, peoples palates are all over the map and there frankly aren't that many people's opinion I would take terribly serious with some notable exceptions. Not that I didn't enjoy reading the labrat reports, but they seldom swayed me on my purchasing decision.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

OK, update on the Brea Total Wine situation - they don't actually have any '05 Kronos (though they did a month or so ago - I suppose I should consider myself lucky I bought a bottle at least when I saw it there!). They have 5 bottles of '07 Kronos, but apparently it was also mispriced, though they didn't say what the actual price was supposed to be. 3 bottles are already reserved, and 2 are the ones that I didn't end up purchasing as they didn't end up being the '05 (this is not to say that the '07 isn't a wonderful wine; I am sure, based on the other Corison wines I've had, that it is).

Sorry to have caused any undue excitement! This shows what I get when I don't visit the store on a weekly basis. Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled wooting.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

SwMBO and myself really enjoyed our time at her winery. It was very clear that she is passionate about her Kronos vineyard, and appeciates how special it is. Her wines are so impressive, not overdone, or overworked.

I was amazed at how some of the new wines were quite bold (2009), and how soft the '04-06 seemed to me.

There's a couple cases of her wine in my cellar, and I can't wait until it is aged enough to start opening them with friends and family.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cortot20

jawlz wrote:OK, update on the Brea Total Wine situation - they don't actually have any '05 Kronos (though they did a month or so ago - I suppose I should consider myself lucky I bought a bottle at least when I saw it there!). They have 5 bottles of '07 Kronos, but apparently it was also mispriced, though they didn't say what the actual price was supposed to be. 3 bottles are already reserved, and 2 are the ones that I didn't end up purchasing as they didn't end up being the '05 (this is not to say that the '07 isn't a wonderful wine; I am sure, based on the other Corison wines I've had, that it is).

Sorry to have caused any undue excitement! This shows what I get when I don't visit the store on a weekly basis. Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled wooting.

One of the reserved 07's is mine. They did honor the price but said that it should have been doubled. They wouldn't let me add any other bottles. The site still says $70 though so someone could theoretically grab the other two and get the same deal.

CT

shadowboxer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadowboxer

I just don't get it ! I got the 2002 and 2003 a good while back, so they definitely shipped to my state (LA) . Drank the last (2002 -- delicious) with some friends a few weeks back. One of them took the bottle home with her -- said it was the best Cab she ever had!

And now, it says they can't shop to my state! This laws are schizophrenic! I want some more Corison, by George!!

Edit :

Ha ha! A little Port , a cigar, and some thinking! In for two sent to my Mom in TX. Was past die for a visit anyway! Hiya mom! How u doirn?