JesseM3


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JesseM3

This brings back good memories of July's RPM tour. Corison was a highlight! I hope you're all doing well and enjoy the wine!

cathycorison


quality posts: 30 Private Messages cathycorison
kylemittskus wrote:Welcome back, Cathy! We've missed you dearly.



It's been too long!

cathycorison


quality posts: 30 Private Messages cathycorison
JesseM3 wrote:This brings back good memories of July's RPM tour. Corison was a highlight! I hope you're all doing well and enjoy the wine!



All is well at Corison. We're picking Kronos Vineyard tomorrow!

NightGhost


quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost

I'm NightGhost, and I've been dead for two years. But this wine is so excellent, I had to come back just to tell you about it.

(apologies to Robert Klein)

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
NightGhost wrote:I'm NightGhost, and I've been dead for two years. But this wine is so excellent, I had to come back just to tell you about it.

(apologies to Robert Klein)



He has risen from the dead (files). Glad to see you are back and looking forward to your always informative input.

rpm


quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
rlmanzo wrote:Could anyone who has had both,(RPM perhaps??) compare/contrast the 2005 to the 2003?

I thought the 2003 was the best wine I have purchased(of many) on this site.

Also, can someone comment on the Helios vs the regular cuvee??

Thanks.



The 2003 is a very good wine in an mixed quality vintage; 2005 was overall a much better year in the Napa Valley and Cathy made a wine that stands out even among a fine vintage where most people were successful. I would guess the 2005 will have at least a decade longer life, perhaps even two, than the 2003. (Note, I am quite sure a well-stored 2005 Kronos would be alive and well at mid-century)

I would defer to Cathy's comments on the difference between the Helios and regular Cab as a general rule. If I remember correctly, Cathy told us on the 2008 Tour that she thought very highly of the 2005 Helios Cab. Cathy? I know I bought the maximum permitted when it on woot in 2009, with the intention of beginning to look at the Merlot around this year or next, and the Cab in 2015.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

shelldav


quality posts: 8 Private Messages shelldav

I am going to Costa Rica soon and would like to take this as a house gift. Does anybody know about restrictions on packing wine in checked bags from the US to Costa Rica?

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Hmm, just received my 6 bottles of Corison from the tour yesterday...so do I go in for 1, 2, or 3?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
shelldav wrote:I am going to Costa Rica soon and would like to take this as a house gift. Does anybody know about restrictions on packing wine in checked bags from the US to Costa Rica?


I'd check with the airline you're flying, just to be on the safe side.

I'm just hanging out, really.

PTommins


quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins
NightGhost wrote:I'm NightGhost, and I've been dead for two years. But this wine is so excellent, I had to come back just to tell you about it.

(apologies to Robert Klein)



Does this mean Cesare is out of a job ?

jhkey


quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
NightGhost wrote:I'm NightGhost, and I've been dead for two years. But this wine is so excellent, I had to come back just to tell you about it.

(apologies to Robert Klein)


Wow, are you back for good, or just for a moment in time?

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

knotheadusc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages knotheadusc

In for two because we're celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary next month. This is my present to my husband.

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Love Corison wines, but not sure the value proposition is there when I can grab '05 Kronos for $70 at a local shop. Granted, that will need more time in the cellar, but... sigh; I'm debating this with myself now.

abrahamz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages abrahamz

I've been able to get Corison from Woot in South Carolina in the past. Is it no longer an option or just an error on the list of states?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
jawlz wrote:Love Corison wines, but not sure the value proposition is there when I can grab '05 Kronos for $70 at a local shop. Granted, that will need more time in the cellar, but... sigh; I'm debating this with myself now.



Where?!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman


quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:Note, I am quite sure a well-stored 2005 Kronos would be alive and well at mid-century



I've got two

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
kylemittskus wrote:Where?!



Uh oh, I better go buy them up before I tell anyone!!! :P

But, it's available for $70 at Total Wine in Brea, CA; last I checked there were still 6 bottles or so on the shelf; I'm actually planning on picking up 2 more tonight so that I have 3 to age in the cellar. Would like to just buy them all up, but, alas, finances, cellar space, etc.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
jawlz wrote:Uh oh, I better go buy them up before I tell anyone!!! :P

But, it's available for $70 at Total Wine in Brea, CA; last I checked there were still 6 bottles or so on the shelf; I'm actually planning on picking up 2 more tonight so that I have 3 to age in the cellar. Would like to just buy them all up, but, alas, finances, cellar space, etc.



Damnit. That's really easy for me to get to. But I really shouldn't go buy. You SOB!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rpm


quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
kylemittskus wrote:Damnit. That's really easy for me to get to. But I really shouldn't go buy. You SOB!



Buy them. I'm sure you'd have no problem with wooters happy to take one or 2 off your hands, even with a small premium. I know I'm happy to!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
kylemittskus wrote:Damnit. That's really easy for me to get to. But I really shouldn't go buy. You SOB!



Believe me, living only a few miles away store is a major hazard to my wallet.

Anyways, back to Corison discussion - if you *don't* have a local source of Corison, this is a fair deal.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
jawlz wrote:Uh oh, I better go buy them up before I tell anyone!!! :P

But, it's available for $70 at Total Wine in Brea, CA; last I checked there were still 6 bottles or so on the shelf; I'm actually planning on picking up 2 more tonight so that I have 3 to age in the cellar. Would like to just buy them all up, but, alas, finances, cellar space, etc.



They have 5. I have 2 held for me. Enablers. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU!!

Cathy, drinking window for the 05 Kronos? (Apologies that I'm asking a question about a wine not offered, but same wonderful winemaker!)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
kylemittskus wrote:They have 5. I have 2 held for me. Enablers. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU!!

Cathy, drinking window for the 05 Kronos? (Apologies that I'm asking a question about a wine not offered, but same wonderful winemaker!)



Hah, I just also put in an order for 2 about 10 minutes ago. I assume they're down to 1 now.

rjquillin


quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Damnit. That's really easy for me to get to. But I really shouldn't go buy. You SOB!

If you do however, grab two for me...

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
jawlz wrote:Hah, I just also put in an order for 2 about 10 minutes ago. I assume they're down to 1 now.



Just called to up and he said it's not the Kronos. It's the regular Napa cab. It was put in the system wrong when ordered. Unless you saw it there with your own eyes and the guy is lying?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
kylemittskus wrote:Just called to up and he said it's not the Kronos. It's the regular Napa cab. It was mislabeled when ordered. Unless you saw it there with your own eyes and the guy is lying?



Unless things have changed in the last few weeks, it's the kronos - have seen it in person and bought a bottle.

edit - unless he's saying the bottles were mislabeled, which would be the first time I've seen that....

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
jawlz wrote:Unless things have changed in the last few weeks, it's the kronos - have seen it in person and bought a bottle.



Well, s***. Do I drive all the way out there assuming the guy was lying...?

If you are going there anyway, can you buy me three bottles and I'll pick them up from you this weekend and give you the cash?

Not mislabeled. He claimed they were put in the system wrong.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
kylemittskus wrote:Well, s***. Do I drive all the way out there assuming the guy was lying...?

If you are going there anyway, can you buy me three bottles and I'll pick them up from you this weekend and give you the cash?

Not mislabeled. He claimed they were put in the system wrong.



Yes, no problem. I'll head there tonight, purchase if available, and report back.

InFrom


quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
shelldav wrote:I am going to Costa Rica soon and would like to take this as a house gift. Does anybody know about restrictions on packing wine in checked bags from the US to Costa Rica?



You can pack as many bottles into your bags as you're willing to risk, you don't have the restrictions on packing liquids in checked luggage the way there are for carryons. But as far as how much alcohol Costa Rica allows visitors to import as gifts, I would check with their Customs or Tourism agency Web site. You might be able to get the info from the airline or the AAA, but there's nothing like getting it from the source.

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

What??? No Connecticut?

Can someone please double-check this?

I have bought Corison through this site before with no problem.

PLEASE???

Is it broke or just fractured?

cathycorison


quality posts: 30 Private Messages cathycorison
rpm wrote:The 2003 is a very good wine in an mixed quality vintage; 2005 was overall a much better year in the Napa Valley and Cathy made a wine that stands out even among a fine vintage where most people were successful. I would guess the 2005 will have at least a decade longer life, perhaps even two, than the 2003. (Note, I am quite sure a well-stored 2005 Kronos would be alive and well at mid-century)

I would defer to Cathy's comments on the difference between the Helios and regular Cab as a general rule. If I remember correctly, Cathy told us on the 2008 Tour that she thought very highly of the 2005 Helios Cab. Cathy? I know I bought the maximum permitted when it on woot in 2009, with the intention of beginning to look at the Merlot around this year or next, and the Cab in 2015.



Sorry for the dead air. Had to go to the farmer's market. Back now.

Helios isn't necessarily a second sister. It's always a wine I love but doesn't fit into the Corison blend for one reason or another. I love all my 2005's. In the decade it runs a *very* close second to 2001.

Note that the balance of the 2005 Helios Cabernet is an exclusive for this Woot and an excellent value.

Winedavid39


quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

NightGhost wrote:I'm NightGhost, and I've been dead for two years. But this wine is so excellent, I had to come back just to tell you about it.

(apologies to Robert Klein)



Well, hello NightGhost.

cathycorison


quality posts: 30 Private Messages cathycorison
jawlz wrote:Uh oh, I better go buy them up before I tell anyone!!! :P

But, it's available for $70 at Total Wine in Brea, CA; last I checked there were still 6 bottles or so on the shelf; I'm actually planning on picking up 2 more tonight so that I have 3 to age in the cellar. Would like to just buy them all up, but, alas, finances, cellar space, etc.



If you guys don't buy it I will. It is sold out at the winery; if I had any more I would be selling it for multiples of that price! Please let me know if there is any is left!

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
cathycorison wrote:If you guys don't buy it I will. It is sold out at the winery; if I had any more I would be selling it for multiples of that price! Please let me know if there is any is left!



OK, provided it is there, I will just buy the remaining stock tonight - 2 for me, 3 for Kyle, the remainder for Cathy.

cathycorison


quality posts: 30 Private Messages cathycorison
jawlz wrote:OK, provided it is there, I will just buy the remaining stock tonight - 2 for me, 3 for Kyle, the remainder for Cathy.



Thank you!

rpm


quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
cathycorison wrote:Sorry for the dead air. Had to go to the farmer's market. Back now.

Helios isn't necessarily a second sister. It's always a wine I love but doesn't fit into the Corison blend for one reason or another. I love all my 2005's. In the decade it runs a *very* close second to 2001.

Note that the balance of the 2005 Helios Cabernet is an exclusive for this Woot and an excellent value.



Thanks, Cathy!

For any of you on the fence, Cathy just made two very important things very clear:

1. She sees her 2005s as very close to as good as the finest vintage of the decade (2001); and

2. This is it for the 2005 Helios, a woot exclusive.

Winos, this is a chance to get two (2) really outstanding bottles of 2005 Cabernet for close to the release price, but with 4 additional years of bottle age, with comfort it's been properly stored for its entire life. With the Syrah as a bonus.

Do it. When you open it in a couple of years with a fine rack of lamb or prime rib, you will not be thinking about the price. You will be taking the kudos of your significant other and guests as to your forethought in having such a wine to serve them.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo
cathycorison wrote:Thank you!



Cathy,

Love you wines.

Do you no longer ship to Connecticut?
(There have been lots of errors lately with ship-to states)

Thanks!(Hope, Hope....)

Is it broke or just fractured?

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo
rpm wrote:Thanks, Cathy!

For any of you on the fence, Cathy just made two very important things very clear:

1. She sees her 2005s as very close to as good as the finest vintage of the decade (2001); and

2. This is it for the 2005 Helios, a woot exclusive.

Winos, this is a chance to get two (2) really outstanding bottles of 2005 Cabernet for close to the release price, but with 4 additional years of bottle age, with comfort it's been properly stored for its entire life. With the Syrah as a bonus.

Do it. When you open it in a couple of years with a fine rack of lamb or prime rib, you will not be thinking about the price. You will be taking the kudos of your significant other and guests as to your forethought in having such a wine to serve them.




You are killing me.....No Connecticut? Really??

Is it broke or just fractured?

rugrats2001


quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001
NightGhost wrote:I'm NightGhost, and I've been dead for two years. But this wine is so excellent, I had to come back just to tell you about it.

(apologies to Robert Klein)



All Hail NightGhost!

rpm


quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
rlmanzo wrote:You are killing me.....No Connecticut? Really??



wootleggers - try pm-ing someone like Cesare or PS or ....?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

montegobayjr


quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr
rlmanzo wrote:What??? No Connecticut?

Can someone please double-check this?

I have bought Corison through this site before with no problem.

PLEASE???



Well,...that saved me some $$, though would have been in for sure...