2005 Corison Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
2005 Helios Syrah
2005 Helios Cabernet Sauvignon
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Welcome back, Cathy! We've missed you dearly.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Glad to see Cathy back but I yearn for the old 50-60% discount we used to get. I just can't do it at this price.

CT

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

Corison + 2005 in Napa = in for 3. Well there goes the wine budget for a while.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
webdev511 wrote:Corison + 2005 in Napa = in for 3. Well there goes the wine budget for a while.

Those days are gone, probably forever.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

I really shouldn't buy this, but I want to! 20% off list price is about the same as club discount, except with wootish shipping. Doesn't help that I just bought four bottles when I was there with the rpm tour. Sigh. What to do?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
webdev511 wrote:Corison + 2005 in Napa = in for 3. Well there goes the wine budget for a while.

You and mill, but he for only one. Would love to add some 2005 juice to complete some verticals, but just can't gnaw on it at these prices. sigh.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Doesn't help that I just bought four bottles when I was there with the rpm tour. Sigh. What to do?

Was the 2005 available? I don't recall but don't understand why I wouldn't have gotten some if it were.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Welcome back, Cathy! We've missed you dearly.

THIS

I just don't pass on any offer from Cathy anymore!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Sparky, I saw you jump on this. Thanks for the birthday gift.

CT

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

On the fence. She is my favorite Napa wine maker, but the price is about what I've paid at wine shops for other vintages of Corison, let alone the Helios label.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
lassow wrote:On the fence. She is my favorite Napa wine maker, but the price is about what I've paid at wine shops for other vintages of Corison, let alone the Helios label.

Agree. The corison cab is $85 and the syrah at $38 on website. Helios cab not listed, but retail shown by woot implies retail at $65. $65 for second label? Like her wines a lot, but this is too rich for me.

lassow

trifecta wrote:Agree. The corison cab is $85 and the syrah at $38 on website. Helios cab not listed, but retail shown by woot implies retail at $65. $65 for second label? Like her wines a lot, but this is too rich for me.

Bye bye wine recession. You treated us entirely too well. I remember when w.w offered Corison Cab for under $35/bottle, entirely too inexpensive, but you got me used to the price point.

lassow

The 2005 is the only vintage missing in my 2002-2006 vertical right now...

drdan976

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drdan976

Love Cathy's wines, but at this price point, I will have to shake my head sadly and pass this opportunity up.

Now if this were a Kronos on the other hand, I would be all over this.

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

If it were 3 of the cabs I'd be in for max. As it is I'm on the fence pondering maybe 1, but probably not. Will sleep on it.

senorwilli

quality posts: 4 Private Messages senorwilli

Oh yeah! I've been waiting for a good one to break my SIWBM. Dos por favor. You know the happy couple (the Cheron couple) will likely be in as we'll. Congrats to you guys, btw. Cheers!

In Bacchus we trust, and practice daily...
It all started with Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio 8/23/2006

scphillips

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scphillips

After a great steak dinner with my gorgeous niece at Pacific Dining Car, got home, booted up and headed Woot-ward.

Whoa!!! This is really my lucky day -- 3lbs of Pt. Reyes Blue!!!! But...but uh-oh it's 10PM!!! Oh No Noooooooo! So pithed I missed it... but... wait... what's this? An offering of Corison reds??!! Absolutely in for one... and second in line after the redoubtable mill...a memorable honor to accompany some eagerly anticipated, first-rate wine!

kyle83uw

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kyle83uw

Big fan of her wines but not even tempted at this price...

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum

2005 Helios Cabernet Sauvignon 750ml

"flavors of black current"

Sounds electrifying . . .

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

Just visited the winery. So glad to see this!! Thanks Cathy.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL
cortot20 wrote:Glad to see Cathy back but I yearn for the old 50-60% discount we used to get. I just can't do it at this price.

I'll drink to that!

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

There was a recent atricle about female winemakers featuring Cathy Corison in the LA Times.

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec
trifecta wrote:Agree. The corison cab is $85 and the syrah at $38 on website. Helios cab not listed, but retail shown by woot implies retail at $65. $65 for second label? Like her wines a lot, but this is too rich for me.

I have to agree.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
lassow wrote:On the fence. She is my favorite Napa wine maker, but the price is about what I've paid at wine shops for other vintages of Corison, let alone the Helios label.

It's not as inexpensive as we've seen, to be sure, but 2005 was an excellent vintage. Depends who you talk to whether 2005 or 2007 was best year of the decade after 2001. Cathy did very well with both years.

Remember, the Corison Napa Cab is not really a wine for current drinking (that would be the wines from the 1990s and perhaps 2000 and 2001 if you drink them young), but wines to enjoy from 2015-2025 and thereafter.

We had the Helios 2005 Cab on woot several years ago, along with the Merlot (which I think is about ready, that reminds me it's time to get out a bottle) and that's a wine to drink from around 2013 on.

The Helios Syrah is a bonus and will be interesting.

This is an autobuy to the limit of your pocketbook!

Welcome back, Cathy!! We had a wonderful tasting with both the Newbie and Veteran Tours this Summer!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
rpm wrote:It's not as inexpensive as we've seen, to be sure, but 2005 was an excellent vintage. Depends who you talk to whether 2005 or 2007 was best year of the decade after 2001. Cathy did very well with both years.

Remember, the Corison Napa Cab is not really a wine for current drinking (that would be the wines from the 1990s and perhaps 2000 and 2001 if you drink them young), but wines to enjoy from 2015-2025 and thereafter.

We had the Helios 2005 Cab on woot several years ago, along with the Merlot (which I think is about ready, that reminds me it's time to get out a bottle) and that's a wine to drink from around 2013 on.

Welcome back, Cathy!! We had a wonderful tasting with both the Newbie and Veteran Tours this Summer!

Just had the 2002 last night, not nearly as good as the 01, but wouldn't pass it up. Still has a lot of time left.

angryprez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angryprez

Agree - would be interested in a 3 pack of just the 2005 Corison Cab, minus the Helios - any chance we can get that?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'm with others here. While I am sure this is a good deal for great wine, I was hoping for more. I have not yet had any Corison but would have purchased on recommendation alone if this were Kronos or just the Corison Cab.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan

I would rate the 2002/2003 Corison Cabs as some of my best Woot! purchases ever. Her participation on WW is one of the things that kept me attached to the screens during wootoffs. But alas woot! has become just another wine retailer and based on this pricing it appears Cathy doesn't really need Woots help with distribution anymore.I might consider paying $50 for just the 2005 cab. But there are sooo many great Cali Cabs at that $50 price point that I'm not even remotely tempted by this deal... or 99% of what Woot has been pushing for the past 2 years. Sigh.

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA
rpm wrote:It's not as inexpensive as we've seen, to be sure, but 2005 was an excellent vintage. Depends who you talk to whether 2005 or 2007 was best year of the decade after 2001. Cathy did very well with both years.

My problem is I don't really need anymore wines to cellar. Not to mention SWMBO might freak if I buy this....

1rayburn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1rayburn
drdan976 wrote:Love Cathy's wines, but at this price point, I will have to shake my head sadly and pass this opportunity up.

Now if this were a Kronos on the other hand, I would be all over this.

Ahh, the Kronos, my wine.woot unicorn. I've missed the early 2000s Corison every time it seems, but this price keeps me from pulling the trigger.

Please, someone convince me.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Thank you for NOT shipping to my state. I wanted 3...can afford much fewer. I'll satisfy myself with something simpler today.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

If this was Kronos, I'd jump all over it! I've had the Helios three years ago. Although I may have jumped the gun on it by drinking it, I wasn't impressed with the QPR. For me YES Kronos, NO Helios especially with only 20% off. Still on my SIWBM.

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis

Why does the fact that I would have to Wootleg this in from DC make this offer even harder to resist??

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

factotum wrote:2005 Helios Cabernet Sauvignon 750ml

"flavors of black current"

Sounds electrifying . . .

Shocking even! Three people missed that in review including me. It's fixed now.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Malink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Malink

The Corison cabs I've ordered in previous offerings have been my top wine woot purchase EVER. I've decided this is my favorite winery even though I haven't visited, however, the price point is way too high for me. Many wooters come to wine.woot for good discounts. However, some wines are discounted so the winery can get exposure and so wooters can try new wine. I think Corison has already passed that point and has already proven itself with the wine wooters, hence the higher price point. I agree with other users though, if it was only cabs (maybe a 2 pack) I'd be in. Thanks for the offerings Cathy, especially the ones I could afford :p

rpm

ERMD wrote:Just had the 2002 last night, not nearly as good as the 01, but wouldn't pass it up. Still has a lot of time left.

2001 was a very strong year for Cathy. 2002 was good, not as good as 2001. I wouldn't open the 2001s for another 4-5 years. I might open a 2002 in the next year or two.

One needs to understand I like mature Cabernet more than most people - I think Cathy drinks her own Cabs a little younger than I would, but not all that much.

If you're thinking about this offering for current drinking, I'd say get one, drink the Syrah and the Helios Cab, and leave the Corison Cab for another couple of years.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

klezman wrote:I really shouldn't buy this, but I want to! 20% off list price is about the same as club discount, except with wootish shipping. Doesn't help that I just bought four bottles when I was there with the rpm tour. Sigh. What to do?

Buy some! I did.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

Could anyone who has had both,(RPM perhaps??) compare/contrast the 2005 to the 2003?

I thought the 2003 was the best wine I have purchased(of many) on this site.

Also, can someone comment on the Helios vs the regular cuvee??

Thanks.

Is it broke or just fractured?