WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Unsung Heroes: Central Coast Reds

Don't panic. You may be out of the usual wine you pour for family and friends, but think of it as a chance to explore unknown territory and grab something you may not have tried before like these Central Coast Reds. Who knows? You may catch yourself saying "What was that mysterious bottle of wi- Oh wait, it says right here on the label."

Quality Posts

• (1:01 PM, 10/4/2012) cmaldoon has a few comments.
  • (4:00 PM, 10/4/2012) [WINERY] kellymcclean determines drinking windows.
  • (4:11 PM, 10/4/2012) [WINERY] domainedegher casually drops in with aging chat.

Cesare

quality posts: 1470 Private Messages Cesare

Unsung Heroes: Central Coast Reds

Domaine Degher 2007 Red Zone Blend 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $112.00) 42% off List Price
2007 Domaine Degher Red Zone
Previous offer: 4/26/12

Henson Central Coast Syrah 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $90.00) 33% off List Price
2008 Estero Central Coast Syrah
Previous offer: 5/29/12

Cimarone Estate 2010 Cilla's Blend 6-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $150.00) 33% off List Price
2010 Cilla's Blend
Previous offer: 8/10/12

McClean Mixed Estate Private Reserve Syrah 3-Pack
$49.99 (Normally $129.00) 61% off List Price
2007 McClean Estate Private Reserve Syrah, Paso Robles
2005 McClean Estate Private Reserve Syrah, Paso Robles
2003 McClean Estate Private Reserve Syrah, Paso Robles
Previous offer: 8/24/12 (Plus)

Vines on the Marycrest 2007 'Round Midnight 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $100.00) 35% off List Price
2007 'Round Midnight Red
Previous offer: 7/3/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon

Ok, brief comments from ones I have tried:

The Degher Red zone - I had the 2008 and found it to be interesting but odd. It smelled like a mix between syrah and pinot but I found the palate to be hot with not enough depth. I wonder how the '07 differes from the '08 because for many california wines '07 was a WAY better year.

I purchased 2 sets of the McClean Syrah 3 packs last time they were up here and DAMN those are good. I have only tried the '07 but supposedly the other two are even better, I can hardly wait. This was a much different syrah than I typically taste. not grapey/smoky, this one was Tangy and meaty with much more of a red character than black. I highly recommend it, to anyone who likes reds. At $25/bottle it offers fantstic QPR.

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

jmdavidson

quality posts: 47 Private Messages jmdavidson
cmaldoon wrote:Ok, brief comments from ones I have tried:

The Degher Red zone - I had the 2008 and found it to be interesting but odd. It smelled like a mix between syrah and pinot but I found the palate to be hot with not enough depth. I wonder how the '07 differes from the '08 because for many california wines '07 was a WAY better year.

I purchased 2 sets of the McClean Syrah 3 packs last time they were up here and DAMN those are good. I have only tried the '07 but supposedly the other two are even better, I can hardly wait. This was a much different syrah than I typically taste. not grapey/smoky, this one was Tangy and meaty with much more of a red character than black. I highly recommend it, to anyone who likes reds. At $25/bottle it offers fantstic QPR.

The McClean syrah's have my interest. However, when you go their website, their pricing is 2003 ($22), 2005 ($24) and 2007 ($22) or $68. So why does wine woot show a higher value ($129 retail) and more money for them $75?

cmaldoon

jmdavidson wrote:The McClean syrah's have my interest. However, when you go their website, their pricing is 2003 ($22), 2005 ($24) and 2007 ($22) or $68. So why does wine woot show a higher value ($129 retail) and more money for them $75?

That's a good question.

I do still feel that it is a good deal for $25 per bottle. Add in tax and shipping on top of the retail and this is still cheaper than anyone can get it without walking into their tasting room.

It's not about the deal in the end, it's about the value.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jmdavidson wrote:The McClean syrah's have my interest. However, when you go their website, their pricing is 2003 ($22), 2005 ($24) and 2007 ($22) or $68. So why does wine woot show a higher value ($129 retail) and more money for them $75?

Nice find there. I was interest in these as well, but not at $25/btl. If these were in the $16-17 range, which would be an average discount on the current listed price, I may be jumping on this.

Cmaldoon, any chance you could compare these to the tallulah bald ranch syrah?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus

I know shipping is always a comment, but woot rarely, if ever, has a higher price than the wineries. Something is amiss.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

neilfindswine

quality posts: 163 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...Just spoke to Mr. McClean himself; they recently lowered the prices on their syrah, so we, in turn are lowering the price on this 3-pack. Anyone who purchased earlier today will have the total adjusted.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
kylemittskus wrote:I know shipping is always a comment, but woot rarely, if ever, has a higher price than the wineries. Something is amiss.

The pricing on the woot plus on the Hangtime Syrah was questionable as well. It showed $35 suggested retail per bottle vs a current retail of $20 per bottle vs. woot price of $67.99 for 3. Brought it to WD's attention but never got an answer that addressed the issue. Would like to buy the 03, 05, and 07 Syrahs, but not at a premium to website prices....Boo!....Hiss!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 180 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

bobrush12866 wrote:The pricing on the woot plus on the Hangtime Syrah was questionable as well. It showed $35 suggested retail per bottle vs a current retail of $20 per bottle vs. woot price of $67.99 for 3. Brought it to WD's attention but never got an answer that addressed the issue. Would like to buy the 03, 05, and 07 Syrahs, but not at a premium to website prices....Boo!....Hiss!

yea, we fixed the Maclean. despite being given assurances to the contrary, it appears the hangtme was less expensive elsewhere ( a first! ) - not sure the shipping, tax impact to see where it truly landed, but you were correct.

North316

neilfindswine wrote:...Just spoke to Mr. McClean himself; they recently lowered the prices on their syrah, so we, in turn are lowering the price on this 3-pack. Anyone who purchased earlier today will have the total adjusted.

Good work Neil/WD. Looks like they are now $50 for 3. Right in my wheelhouse. I am going to have to try hard to convince myself NOT to buy this now.

EDIT: You may want to revisit your "List Price" though, since you are still showing $129, which is definitely no longer the case.

My CT

bobrush12866

Winedavid39 wrote:yea, we fixed the Maclean. despite being given assurances to the contrary, it appears the hangtme was less expensive elsewhere ( a first! ) - not sure the shipping, tax impact to see where it truly landed, but you were correct.

WD: You're Awesome! Glad you were able to make a price adjustment on the McClean Mixed..I am now IN...Question is, for 1 or 2...Free shipping from earlier SportWoot purchase so I have a few hours to think about it...Thanks again!

kellymcclean

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kellymcclean

Hi Guys!
First off we are so excited that you are loving our wines. We really put our heart and soul into them and our passion shows!

As for the price adjustment, we lowered our prices a few weeks ago to better complete with other wineries out there. We really have a fantastic product and want to get the word (and wine!) out! So it was just a little bit of a miss with McClean Vineyards and Woot but thank you for catching it and prices have been adjusted!

Thanks again for all the positive feedback, we really appreciate it and even more so, appreciate YOU!

kellymcclean

Thanks cmaldoon! We love the 2007. Our other vintages are fantastic as well! what a great time to try all 3 with this Pack!

kellymcclean

neilfindswine wrote:...Just spoke to Mr. McClean himself; they recently lowered the prices on their syrah, so we, in turn are lowering the price on this 3-pack. Anyone who purchased earlier today will have the total adjusted.

Thanks for fixing Neil!

North316

kellymcclean wrote:Thanks cmaldoon! We love the 2007. Our other vintages are fantastic as well! what a great time to try all 3 with this Pack!

What would say are the drinking/cellaring windows on these 3?

My CT

kellymcclean

North316 wrote:What would say are the drinking/cellaring windows on these 3?

As long as they are stored under proper conditions the wine should last probably longer then all of us! I just opened up our 2004 (my favorite year! A ton of water that year so the wine is über smooth) and it was just as good as when we first bottled it, if not better.

domainedegher

quality posts: 10 Private Messages domainedegher

Hi there, Denis Degher winemaker here. The 07 is where it should be and is showing very well right now. The main difference between the 2007 and 2008 Red Zone is one more year in the bottle. They are both 75% Syrah and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon. I would venture to say that the 2008 is still a bit young, but it too is very seductive when decanted for several hours. Wines that require aeration/decanting are usually good bets for aging.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Greetings to both Kelly and Denis... great to have a couple of wineries join our Woot + discussion.

Paso Robles reds? you had me at hello.

bobrush12866

kellymcclean wrote:As long as they are stored under proper conditions the wine should last probably longer then all of us! I just opened up our 2004 (my favorite year! A ton of water that year so the wine is über smooth) and it was just as good as when we first bottled it, if not better.

Unfortunately, no 04 on this deal, but it would make for a nice vertical if included. This is the odd vertical (03, 05, 07)....How about an even vertical (04, 06, 08)? Cellaring time left on the 03 & 05? How are the 03 and 05 drinking now?

jmdavidson

Winedavid39 wrote:yea, we fixed the Maclean. despite being given assurances to the contrary, it appears the hangtme was less expensive elsewhere ( a first! ) - not sure the shipping, tax impact to see where it truly landed, but you were correct.

Awesome, WD. Thanks for the adjustment. Trying to decide 2 or 3. Am really excited to get this.

10/5: Last Wooter to Woot:jmdavidson +2

cmaldoon

North316 wrote:Nice find there. I was interest in these as well, but not at $25/btl. If these were in the $16-17 range, which would be an average discount on the current listed price, I may be jumping on this.

Cmaldoon, any chance you could compare these to the tallulah bald ranch syrah?

I absolutely can compare

These are NOTHING like the talluah BMR Syrah. These do not have a dense grapey profile dominated by black fruit.

These are meatier, brighter. Here... I'll post what SWMBO and I noted on the 2003 we had with a late lunch.

McClean Syrah 2003

Noted at 1hr

Color: dark dark red (not purple)

Nose: he says: roast pork with cherry compote. She says dates, stuffed with cheese and wrapped with honeyed bacon. He agrees but with not much smoke on the bacon. The nose is persistent and reasonably strong.

Palate: very ripe plum, baking spices, a bit of black cherry, racy acidity. She says: it is like those but it is NOT as heavy as those may seem. He agrees and adds that the plum is bright and the baking spices tend to cinnamon and allspice rather than clove. The acidity is fantastic and keeps you wanting more. There is a finish that develops more and more with time. He says: Carmel mocha cream. Not heavy but very lasting. She says: it is Carmel first, a creamy feel and a touch of mocha but mainly caramel. Exceptionally long finish.

In review: these aren't your typical new world syrahs. They are different but fantastic and EASILY worth $25 a bottle from my experience with the 03 and 07. I'd be on the fence at $35.

I'll almost certainly be in for another set or two. Oh also, I don't think that even the 03 will die anytime soon. There were still a few tannins and enough fruit flavor to keep it for a few years

kellymcclean

bobrush12866 wrote:Unfortunately, no 04 on this deal, but it would make for a nice vertical if included. This is the odd vertical (03, 05, 07)....How about an even vertical (04, 06, 08)? Cellaring time left on the 03 & 05? How are the 03 and 05 drinking now?

Sadly our 2004 has been sold out for quite some time. We just recently found a few more cases in the cellar that were misplaced and decided to bring them back on. We didn't do a 2006 and 2008, 2009 and 2011 are all still in the barrels cooking up something fierce. Harvest for 2012 will commence next week so that will be out in awhile too.

As far as drinkability, 2003 and 2005 are amazing at the moment. Let breath for about 10/15 minutes and sit back, put the feet up and enjoy!

cmaldoon

Seriously? You lowered it to $50??? You're killing me. I almost have to go in for another 2 sets now.

kellymcclean

cmaldoon wrote:Seriously? You lowered it to $50??? You're killing me. I almost have to go in for another 2 sets now.

What can I say?! We aim to please

bobrush12866

kellymcclean wrote:Sadly our 2004 has been sold out for quite some time. We just recently found a few more cases in the cellar that were misplaced and decided to bring them back on. We didn't do a 2006 and 2008, 2009 and 2011 are all still in the barrels cooking up something fierce. Harvest for 2012 will commence next week so that will be out in awhile too.

As far as drinkability, 2003 and 2005 are amazing at the moment. Let breath for about 10/15 minutes and sit back, put the feet up and enjoy!

Was in for one set...In for another now...Will make NY brighter!

Done...

Last Wooter to Woot:
bobrush12866

I can also be convinced to buy more as long as it is before midnight...

How about throwing in an option to buy an 04 from those cases you found?...I mean, you didn't know you had them anyway!

kellymcclean

Ah you guys are wonderful!!

And not to scare any of you (well perhaps just a little) but we gave Woot the rest of our 2003. We only had a few cases left and we decided to give it all to Woot to bundle it for this incredible deal. So here it is folks...the last of the great mohicans!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kellymcclean wrote:Ah you guys are wonderful!!

And not to scare any of you (well perhaps just a little) but we gave Woot the rest of our 2003. We only had a few cases left and we decided to give it all to Woot to bundle it for this incredible deal. So here it is folks...the last of the great mohicans!

a 9 year aged Paso syrah... I'm keeping whatever's left. (oops. I said that with my outside voice, didn't I...)

cortot20

quality posts: 110 Private Messages cortot20

I picked up the mcclean offer last time and split it. So I ended up withe the 03' and the Viognier.
Neither of which I have tried yet. But with the price reduction I have to go in for a set and keep all of them this time. Unless Kyle wants to take one off of my hands.

Thanks wine.woot

CT

kellymcclean

neilfindswine wrote:a 9 year aged Paso syrah... I'm keeping whatever's left. (oops. I said that with my outside voice, didn't I...)

Haha you might have to arm wrestle some people for those. Or perhaps a game of rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock....

kellymcclean

bobrush12866 wrote:Was in for one set...In for another now...Will make NY brighter!

Done...

Last Wooter to Woot:
bobrush12866

I can also be convinced to buy more as long as it is before midnight...

How about throwing in an option to buy an 04 from those cases you found?...I mean, you didn't know you had them anyway!

Not a bad idea!! Perhaps we can put something together with the 2004. But before midnight huh? We try to discourage turning into pumpkins...I'll see what I can do

bobrush12866

kellymcclean wrote:Not a bad idea!! Perhaps we can put something together with the 2004. But before midnight huh? We try to discourage turning into pumpkins...I'll see what I can do

Just raided your website for 2 of the 04's just in case. You can always send a partial refund back to my PP account if you want.

Not sure woot can move that quickly!

kellymcclean

bobrush12866 wrote:Just raided your website for 2 just in case.

Not sure woot can move that quickly

Awe you are fantastic. I'm actually sipping on the 2004 as I type! It honestly gets better and better the more it breaths. Going to go amazing with the bolognese brewing on the stove...

bobrush12866

kellymcclean wrote:Awe you are fantastic. I'm actually sipping on the 2004 as I type! It honestly gets better and better the more it breaths. Going to go amazing with the bolognese brewing on the stove...

I believe what you should have said was that I was a fanatic! Hey you can always send a few bucks back to my PayPal account on those! Hint! Hint!

vinesonthemarycrest

quality posts: 12 Private Messages vinesonthemarycrest

Ah, 2007 'Round Midnight. This is always my favorite red blend. This wine is such a great food wine with depth and dark fruit. Yummy!

Victor & Jennifer Abascal
Vines on the Marycrest
www.vinesonthemarycrest.com

Making wine the old fashioned way since 2005.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

vinesonthemarycrest wrote:Ah, 2007 'Round Midnight. This is always my favorite red blend. This wine is such a great food wine with depth and dark fruit. Yummy!

Welcome Vines on the Marycrest! Love the Round Midnight GSM blend!

Tassadar2k03

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tassadar2k03

I really liked the 2010 Cilla's Blend that I had. It had had some nice juicy fruits, with a hint of oak. I think it was fruity in a good way, it was pretty smooth and easy to drink. Definitely a good everyday wine.

joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123
kellymcclean wrote:Ah you guys are wonderful!!

I also got a full load of the McClean Syrah that was on here previously. The 2005 is awesome. Nobody can hold me back from buying 4 sets this time!

jmdavidson

Last Wooter to Woot:jmdavidson (+2). Thanks again for the price reduction.

jmdavidson

bobrush12866 wrote:Just raided your website for 2 of the 04's just in case. You can always send a partial refund back to my PP account if you want.

Not sure woot can move that quickly!

FYI: the price on their website for the '04 is $25. Lot18 has it now for $30. So a good deal to get it through the winery.