true559

quality posts: 25 Private Messages true559

I love Blue Cheese but, as I'm the only one in my house that does, 3lbs is way over the top for me.

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
otolith wrote:
I believe you also make a truffle cheese. Can you bring that back, please?

I think you're confusing them with Cypress Grove (Truffle Tremor). Although I second bringing that back!

Smitelight

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Smitelight
lipophilia wrote:One of my favorite uses is for the WORLDS BEST SANDWICH... Crusty white bread like a good Italian, smear both sides with Hellman's mayo (to taste, but you don't need much for this), a thin slice of PR Blue cheese, a generous slice of fresh "real" tomato, and some sweet onion - not enough to dominate the flavors. (A little salt sometimes on the tomato.)
It's 8AM and I want lunch!!

But... where's the MEAT?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

This sounds wonderful and I would love to try it, but as others have said, this is just too much cheese, and I have very poor luck with blue cheese staying good for very long.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

sammield

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sammield

I have been enjoying this blue since I can remember. A family friend from the area would always bring a wheel down. Honestly, I keeps for a long time. I just trim off mold or dry spots, and the more I buy it, the more I find recipes and uses for it.
Good tip if you like dressing: Make a big batch and keep it in jars. It lasts way longer. Or do what we do and give the dressing as gifts! It makes a great hostess gift right before the holidays.

~SammieLD~

North316

sammield wrote:
Good tip if you like dressing: Make a big batch and keep it in jars. It lasts way longer. Or do what we do and give the dressing as gifts! It makes a great hostess gift right before the holidays.

Well we can't make it if you don't give us the recipe, now can we?

My CT

PtReyesBlue

quality posts: 26 Private Messages PtReyesBlue
nitronet wrote:Every time i buy blue cheese, when I get back to use it a sometimes a few weeks later, it's covered with mold and I wind up tossing it. 3 pounds is a whole lot to use. I'd rather pay more per pound and buy less and not have any waste.

Lots of Shelf-Life Questions have come up -- if properly wrapped and re-wrapped after every use, the cheese will last at least 6 weeks, no problem. If any surface mold grows on the exterior, all you have to do is scrape it off and enjoy. That is the same blue mold as on the inside. What you don't want is any aroma of ammonia. That represents that the cheese has passed it's prime.

PtReyesBlue

Ok, LOTS of requests for a good blue cheese dressing. Here is a great one!

Ingredients

4 ounces Original Blue, crumbled
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Throw all ingredients in a mason jar, screw the lid on, shake and enjoy!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Ooo! Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese was my very first purchase as a staffer. And I do like Blue Cheese.

Tempted.

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

inkycatz wrote:Ooo! Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese was my very first purchase as a staffer. And I do like Blue Cheese.

Tempted.

I'm pretty that means you have to click the stupidly large button.

Oh, and no offense to Point Reyes, but I was REALLY hoping that today's offer was some salted caramels.

My CT

mcrezin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcrezin
PtReyesBlue wrote:Lots of Shelf-Life Questions have come up -- if properly wrapped and re-wrapped after every use, the cheese will last at least 6 weeks, no problem. If any surface mold grows on the exterior, all you have to do is scrape it off and enjoy. That is the same blue mold as on the inside. What you don't want is any aroma of ammonia. That represents that the cheese has passed it's prime.

Can one assume that so long as no ammonia smell is present, it remains edible beyond the 6 week window you've mentioned? I feel like the last time I got a giant wheel of blue cheese it lasted a couple months.

Was I risking my digestive system with every cracker and cheese bite!?

inkycatz

North316 wrote:I'm pretty that means you have to click the stupidly large button.

Oh, and no offense to Point Reyes, but I was REALLY hoping that today's offer was some salted caramels.

It's just a lot of cheese for one person! (I hear ya on the caramels, though, I do.)

dalem589

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dalem589

Here is what I do, based on many years of experience: I wrap the opened cheese tightly in plastic wrap, to keep out air. I then put it in a baggie and take as much air out of it as possible. Excluding the air keeps the cheese mold free longer.
Alternatively, if you have a food sealer machine, put it in a sealed bag. It will keep a loonngg time that way.

nitronet wrote:Every time i buy blue cheese, when I get back to use it a sometimes a few weeks later, it's covered with mold and I wind up tossing it. 3 pounds is a whole lot to use. I'd rather pay more per pound and buy less and not have any waste.

PilotFishBob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PilotFishBob

In for one. Unfortunately, there'll be a whole lot of extra running to offset the effects of this bad boy and the resquisite accompanying red. I'm doomed.

cjust

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjust

Have the shipping questions been answered yet? I want to make sure this isn't sitting in a cardboard box on a hot truck for 3 days while it travels across the country.

North316

dalem589 wrote:Here is what I do, based on many years of experience: I wrap the opened cheese tightly in plastic wrap, to keep out air. I then put it in a baggie and take as much air out of it as possible. Excluding the air keeps the cheese mold free longer.
Alternatively, if you have a food sealer machine, put it in a sealed bag. It will keep a loonngg time that way.

This doesn't work so well with blue cheese, and some other types as well (basically most anything cultured or aged). Point Reyes noted to wrap this in parchment and store in a perforated ziplock because the mold that makes it blue cheese is still active within the cheese. Wrapping this tightly in cling wrap and again in a airtight ziplock with kill the active mold in the cheese and allow other bacteria to grow and thrive, thus spoiling the cheese MUCH quicker.

It also tends to trap in moisture which is a breeding ground for bacteria, which is why this method work's well with preserving hard/dry aged cheeses as well.

My CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

cjust wrote:Have the shipping questions been answered yet? I want to make sure this isn't sitting in a cardboard box on a hot truck for 3 days while it travels across the country.

Shipped two day transit in protective packaging. i wouldn't worry one bit.

Toffeeking

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Toffeeking

Food products! That must mean we are officially in fall.

mariemorris

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mariemorris

Thanks, Woot! I've been waiting for this to return for five years. If I could figure out how to encase my head in a block of it and eat my way out, I would, but alas, in for just one.

If anyone is hesitating, go for it -- this cheese is great in every application: with crackers and wine, in/on top of salad or pasta, with walnuts and honey, etc., etc.

krissyMS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages krissyMS

I just posted something in world of woot wine three days ago asking Woot to bring back cheeses... and they listen!!! Thanks Woot! I will be in for one - - best bleu ever!!!

inkycatz

Toffeeking wrote:Food products! That must mean we are officially in fall.

sbrady22

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sbrady22

I'm currently deployed over in Afghanistan and won't be home until February. Needless to say, I can't order this right now or I will come home to what would probably look like a Furby, just without the annoying voice. Is there a chance you will be offering this again around January?

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Anyone near Bakersfield interested in splitting a wheel? Like many others, I just can't see myself getting close to finishing this before it goes bad.

PtReyesBlue

mcrezin wrote:Can one assume that so long as no ammonia smell is present, it remains edible beyond the 6 week window you've mentioned? I feel like the last time I got a giant wheel of blue cheese it lasted a couple months.

Was I risking my digestive system with every cracker and cheese bite!?

No, you're right. The cheese can last a long time but really, you know you'll eat it all before there's even a worry about digestive system contamination. Everyone is so worried about shelf life but I have a feeling the cheese will be gone long before there's an issue!

PtReyesBlue

cjust wrote:Have the shipping questions been answered yet? I want to make sure this isn't sitting in a cardboard box on a hot truck for 3 days while it travels across the country.

All shipments will deliver via Fed Ex with frozen gel ice. Hot-weather states will get extra ice and insulated packaging.

Ramrod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ramrod
PtReyesBlue wrote:All shipments will deliver via Fed Ex with frozen gel ice. Hot-weather states will get extra ice and insulated packaging.

Ack! I set my home address for this order. Will it be like other wine woot food offerings and require an adult 21 and over to sign?
If so, how long do I have to correct the address to my work address?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
Ramrod wrote:Ack! I set my home address for this order. Will it be like other wine woot food offerings and require an adult 21 and over to sign?
If so, how long do I have to correct the address to my work address?

No signature required for non-wine items.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

inkycatz

kylemittskus wrote:No signature required for non-wine items.

And if you have any problems let us know.

kylemittskus

inkycatz wrote:And if you have any problems let us know.

By "us," she means not me. I'm not part of the "us."

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Toffeeking wrote:Food products! That must mean we are officially in fall.

I hope this is a hint!

otherwise, just cruel toffedad, just cruel.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

kylemittskus wrote:By "us," she means not me. I'm not part of the "us."

He's just kidding. Please pm kyle with all related questions.

Speaking of. Point Reyes, were the cows that produced the milk for this cheese, by chance, fed using bio-dynamically farmed feed?

My CT

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:By "us," she means not me. I'm not part of the "us."

He's lying. Kyle is hte new woot CEO, DIRECT ALL QUESTIONS TO HIM VIA PM.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

North316 wrote:He's just kidding. Please pm kyle with all related questions.

Speaking of. Point Reyes, were the cows that produced the milk for this cheese, by chance, fed using bio-dynamically farmed feed?

See, now it's confirmed.

mkaplan75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkaplan75
PtReyesBlue wrote:Let us re-introduce. . .

Point Reyes Original Blue Cheese:
Creamy, with layers of bold flavor.
All natural and made with raw milk. Kosher-certified.
Gluten-free.

Oh, and tastes soooooo good.

Who certifies the kashrut?

Toffeeking

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Toffeeking
bhodilee wrote:I hope this is a hint!

otherwise, just cruel toffedad, just cruel.

I know thingk

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

TOO Much cheese. I'd be IN for 1.5 lbs for 24.99.

Just a thought.

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus

losthighwayz wrote:TOO Much cheese. I'd be IN for 1.5 lbs for 24.99.

Just a thought.

Me too.

digitalurbancamo

quality posts: 18 Private Messages digitalurbancamo
kylemittskus wrote:Me too.

Agreed

PtReyesBlue

mkaplan75 wrote:Who certifies the kashrut?

Orthodox rabinical society of San Francisco, Rabbi Jacob Traub

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers
North316 wrote:I'm pretty that means you have to click the stupidly large button.

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently my power went out for an extended about of time when I was overseas for a couple of months, and the only thing I left in my freezer were the caramels because they last FOREVER I am for sure loading up on them and Balsamic when it comes around!!!!!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!