Website

Previous offers:
11/1/07
11/20/08

It's Thursday! (Non-wine day)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

A sign of the turning of the seasons! Cheese is back!

I'm in.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Yea i'm seeing my favorite blue cheese burger in my future...now what to pair it with.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

PtReyesBlue

quality posts: 26 Private Messages PtReyesBlue

We're BACK!!! So happy to see you all again. We've been so blue without you ...

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

I thoroughly dislike blue cheese (however their Toma is AWESOME), but I am so glad to see food brought back to Thursday. Seasons have changed, woohoo

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

It's about time we have a worthy edible offering... .

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Blue cheese over spaghetti with marinara. Nom nom nom.

Question: I have no concept of how much cheese this is. Can you give me the approximate size of this wheel?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

shushine999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages shushine999

WAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNTTTTTTT..........
.BOOOOOOUGHTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

brucedoesbms

ThunderThighs wrote:Blue cheese over spaghetti with marinara. Nom nom nom.

Question: I have no concept of how much cheese this is. Can you give me the approximate size of this wheel?

The wheel size would be 6 lbs. if this half wheel offering is 3 lbs.

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

PtReyesBlue

Let us re-introduce. . .

Point Reyes Original Blue Cheese:
Creamy, with layers of bold flavor.
All natural and made with raw milk. Kosher-certified.
Gluten-free.

Oh, and tastes soooooo good.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 48 Private Messages pupyluvr

3 lbs of toe cheese is a whole lot of stinky.

PtReyesBlue

brucedoesbms wrote:The wheel size would be 6 lbs. if this half wheel offering is 3 lbs.

the offer is a 3Lb wheel, about 8" in diameter by 2" high.

PtReyesBlue

Consider this a gift Wooters. You WILL thank us.

Cabernet Burgers with Original Blue™

1 750-ml bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
¼ cup minced shallots
1-2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp.
2 teaspoons golden brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1½ pounds ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 cup (6 ounces) Original Blue cheese crumbles
5 (4-inch) squares ciabatta bread, cut horizontally in half
Tomato slices & lettuce leaves

Boil wine and shallots in medium saucepan until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 20-30 minutes. Add rosemary, 1 tablespoon butter and brown sugar; whisk until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. In small bowl mix remaining butter with garlic. Set aside.
Mix ground beef, salt and pepper and 1/3 cup wine/shallot mixture. Form meat into five burgers.
Grill burgers until brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn and brush with remaining wine/shallot mixture and continue grilling until cooked to desired doneness, turning and brushing occasionally with wine/shallot mixture.
Sprinkle with cheese crumbles and grill until cheese starts to melt.
Spread cut sides of bread with garlic butter. Grill bread cut side down until golden about 2 minutes or broil in oven until golden. Arrange bread cut sides up, place burgers on bottom halves, top with tomato slices and lettuce leaves. Cover with top halves of bread.
Serves 5. Wine Suggestion: Full Bodied Cabernet Sauvignon

brucedoesbms

PtReyesBlue wrote:the offer is a 3Lb wheel, about 8" in diameter by 2" high.

Well, then, they (woot!) need to change the product description which states, "Farmstead Cheese Company Point Reyes Original Blue, 3 lb Half Wheel..."

kitkatkaddoodle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kitkatkaddoodle

What would be the best way to store it and how long is it usually good for? I like cheese, but I'm not sure how fast I can eat 3 lbs if my kids decide they're not blue cheese lovers.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

That's alotta cheese. How long will this last under refrigerateed conditions? What is the best way to store it to preserve it's freshness? Can it be frozen? If so, for how long and what is the best way to do that?

llrpurch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages llrpurch

Woot Gods are shining again on foodies! Welcome back Point Reyes, you've been very missed.

Question for ya' about shelf life. Last time this was up it was closer to Turkey Day so I ponied up the max order to use for holiday gifts. I take it this time hoping it would sit tight and safe in the fridge until Christmas is a fruitless wish? Your expert and welcome input would be most appreciated.
YUMMMMM!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

brucedoesbms wrote:Well, then, they (woot!) need to change the product description which states, "Farmstead Cheese Company Point Reyes Original Blue, 3 lb Half Wheel..."

Or you can do the math and divide it in half.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

brucedoesbms

ThunderThighs wrote:Or you can do the math and divide it in half.

Oh... so we're only going to get 1 and a half pounds for the Forty-change?... .

digitalurbancamo

quality posts: 18 Private Messages digitalurbancamo

How will this be shipped? Last time I got cheese from woot I neglected to ask before I bought and payed the price.

PtReyesBlue

The Woot deal is for a 3Lb wheel -- sorry for the confusion in the title.

PtReyesBlue

digitalurbancamo wrote:How will this be shipped? Last time I got cheese from woot I neglected to ask before I bought and payed the price.

Shipments are delivered via Fed Ex.

ThunderThighs

Staff

PtReyesBlue wrote:The Woot deal is for a 3Lb wheel -- sorry for the confusion in the title.

Full wheel?

PtReyesBlue

brucedoesbms wrote:Oh... so we're only going to get 1 and a half pounds for the Forty-change?... .

No -- 3Lbs for $39.99 -- a HUGE deal.

PtReyesBlue

jmdavidson wrote:That's alotta cheese. How long will this last under refrigerateed conditions? What is the best way to store it to preserve it's freshness? Can it be frozen? If so, for how long and what is the best way to do that?

Please do NOT freeze our cheese! Freezing & thawing dries out the texture and alters the flavor. Instead, wrap it well in new parchment paper after each use and store in a perforated ziploc bag (the cheese will need to breathe).

Oh, and share with friends or throw a party -- a sure way to make lots of new friends!

PtReyesBlue

llrpurch wrote:Woot Gods are shining again on foodies! Welcome back Point Reyes, you've been very missed.

Question for ya' about shelf life. Last time this was up it was closer to Turkey Day so I ponied up the max order to use for holiday gifts. I take it this time hoping it would sit tight and safe in the fridge until Christmas is a fruitless wish? Your expert and welcome input would be most appreciated.
YUMMMMM!!!

Don't be a turkey and save the cheese for the Holidays. Buy it now, enjoy every bit and buy yourself some more come November.

Storage: Wrap it well in new parchment paper after each use and store in a perforated ziploc bag (the cheese will need to breathe).

Oh, and share with friends or throw a party -- a sure way to make lots of new friends!

nansea53

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nansea53

Thank You for the recipe. It sounds awesome!
I'll be trying it soon, well as soon as I get this huge 3lb wheel of cheese delivered. :-)
I can hardly wait...
And thanks for the storage tip to keep it fresh. Would it also be okay to vacuum seal?

Ramrod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ramrod
PtReyesBlue wrote:No -- 3Lbs for $39.99 -- a HUGE deal.

I think folks may forget this is Point Reyes Blue and not Kirkland Blue.

$13.33 per pound for Point Reyes Blue is a killer deal. Consider me interested and digging for loose change.

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
Ramrod wrote:I think folks may forget this is Point Reyes Blue and not Kirkland Blue.

$13.33 per pound for Point Reyes Blue is a killer deal. Consider me interested and digging for loose change.

Seriously good... And thanks for the recipe Point Reyes. My first thought upon seeing this was Father's Office Burger... Here's a good attempt at faking theirs (most incredible burger IMHO)...
http://pardonmycrumbs.blogspot.com/2011/06/recipe-decoded-fathers-office-burger.html?m=1

bleepbloop

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bleepbloop

I would not be as rude, but I feel two questions are being answered badly, so I will rephrase.
1) how is it shipped - as in in what container and how fast? Is it in a Styrofoam container with a freezer pack or something? I'd be shipping to FL where it's still quite hot. So what container and how fast it will get here are important decision making facts.
2) I understand wrapping it in new parchment etc to store it but HOW LONG WILL IT KEEP if we do this? If I buy 3lbs of blue cheese and I do as you say to store it, how long will it be good to eat? (think shelf life)

Thank you for your help on these questions!

...anybody want a peanut?

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga
PtReyesBlue wrote:Don't be a turkey and save the cheese for the Holidays. Buy it now, enjoy every bit and buy yourself some more come November.

So, what you're saying is this will be coming up again on wine.woot in November as well? As much as I love this deal (where I live Whole Foods wants pushing $19 a pound), I've been shelling out mucho dinero left & right in home remodeling costs. Knowing I can catch this again next month would be such comfort. I love this stuff.

As to the storage bag, it sounds like the best thing to use for the parchment wrapped cheese is Ziploc Fresh Produce bags. Keeps stuff not too dry, not too moist.

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

This cheese is awesome! It's just too damn much to buy. Fortunately, I found little wedges of it locally.

This is a smooth, creamy, milder (but still bold) blue cheese. I'm not much of a blue cheese fan, but this stuff converted me!

I believe you also make a truffle cheese. Can you bring that back, please?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

agentfox1942

quality posts: 5 Private Messages agentfox1942

I too an interested in how long this will keep, if cared for and wrapped the instructed way. Ptreyes is skirting the issue. 3lbs of cheese in a short period means no sitting on toilet for long time.

pssnyder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pssnyder

This deal is $10 off of the price advertised on Point Reyes website. It's an ok deal, but I wouldn't say it's a killer deal.

calypso71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calypso71

It's not letting me copy and paste the comment, but for those wondering about storage. Click on the link for the prior woot in 2007. Basically, if stored properly, at least six weeks.

Here is the link: http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=1676398&pageindex=4&replycount=611#post1677271

redshoes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redshoes

I bought three pounds of Point Reyes blue cheese the first time they offered it. It kept for about three months in the fridge and then started to grow mold that wasn't blue. But if you guys have never tried THIS brand of cheese, yo have no idea what you might be getting. Point Reyes is hands down the best blue cheese I have ever tasted. It's smooth, creamy, and buttery - no dried out crumbles here! I now live in a place that has one store that sells this, but I will be splitting this wheel with my family for a special treat. Yum!

nitronet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nitronet

Every time i buy blue cheese, when I get back to use it a sometimes a few weeks later, it's covered with mold and I wind up tossing it. 3 pounds is a whole lot to use. I'd rather pay more per pound and buy less and not have any waste.

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

Which blue is best? We go back and forth between Maytag and PR. The flavors are very different, but both are a great balance of creamy and pungent. One of my favorite uses is for the WORLDS BEST SANDWICH... Crusty white bread like a good Italian, smear both sides with Hellman's mayo (to taste, but you don't need much for this), a thin slice of PR Blue cheese, a generous slice of fresh "real" tomato, and some sweet onion - not enough to dominate the flavors. (A little salt sometimes on the tomato.)
It's 8AM and I want lunch!!

ricrawling

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ricrawling

We were introduced to Point Reyes Blue Cheese (and a wonderful dip sold locally) on a recent trip out to Napa. We drove down to the Point Reyes lighthouse and it was gorgeous. Now we can't find the dip anywhere. Can you share a starting point recipe, we can buy the wheel and sacrifice some for the dip?