mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:ddeuddeg so loved the baked fish atop potatoes and onions cooked in EVOO that he had to try his hand at it tonight. Success! He picked up a whole red snapper and did a great job of it. We even have the tail piece left over. It should heat up well in the oven.

The potatoes & onions are first sautéed in the EVOO until they soften a bit. Then, they are layered on the bottom of a baking pan with salt & pepper. Then, place the fish atop the potatoes & onions and pour some dry white wine over the top of the fish and bake it at 350 for about an hour or so. Since we always had the fish with Albariño in Spain, we decided to have the Albino Rhino with it--a match made in heaven! The Albariños that we had in Spain were quite excellent, but a steady diet of these seemingly acidic wines was a bit too much for me. The Albino Rhino has developed a very nice softness that cuts through the acidity and makes it perfect with the richness of the fish and the EVOO'ed potatoes.

wow!! that sounds awesome!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Didn't realize you'd been held back so much! So how is it being the biggest kid in the class?

I'd say Barney, but you might get harpooned!

How about a Professor McGonagall Costume?

Ha Ha, when it comes to dressing up for Halloween, I am the biggest kid!! NO Barney.... I hate Barney!

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Because I'm in a doggie mood today!

Sparky want a bone?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:Sparky want a bone?

Yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

It may be one of those days....

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:For those who need a nice afternoon chuckle, I got Kyle going on BioDynamics in the main offer thread.

And then someone always gets mad at me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
kylemittskus wrote:And then someone always gets mad at me.

Isn't that the test to see if you're "doing it right"?

I'm just hanging out, really.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

I was greatly amused

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I was concerned about your blood pressure! You are quite...passionate about the subject. Be happy!

Edit: I had to go back and read, didn't see what you'd posted, which was "I assure you, chem, I have none of the above. Religion makes you rather uncomfortable, and I'm sure it's for none of the reasons you list." Without getting too much into discussion of religion and politics, the thing which makes me uncomfortable is people's behavior toward others, not their belief in a non-scientific idea. I have plenty of non-scientific beliefs of my own, which we will not get into here.

Your analogy would make sense if we were talking about whether biodynamic farming should be mandatory for all, or if people were causing harm in the name of biodynamics. I'm not aware of any of these things happening. At worst, it's a harmless gimmick. I don't understand the hostility. I will buy a bottle of your nekkid lady wine if it's not too expensive.

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote:I was greatly amused

That doesn't help.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:That doesn't help.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Finally got the cooler loaded up. I'm at about 145 bottles right now, with a small rack to still go in the bottom. When all is said and done I may only be 2-2.5 cases short of space. If I can drink some down before the spree of new releases we are probably going to get here soon, then I may be okay.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cheron98

bahwm wrote:ddeuddeg so loved the baked fish atop potatoes and onions cooked in EVOO that he had to try his hand at it tonight.

I did this tonight for me and HAK. Turned out really great 'Course, I got the fish out of the oven and we looked at it and said "well what do we do with this now?" Got the spine out pretty well, but there were still plenty of little bones to contend with. I also ended up doing the red snapper... made a side dish of zucchini and bell peppers.

Sadly, I could not find his Albino Rhino, so I went with the F-Bomb instead. Worked out alright, but could have used just a little more acidity. Those potatoes got a little happy with the oil. I actually thought about pouring some vinegar on the fish to make up for the less acidic wine, but didn't do it. Should've.

All in all, quite tasty

cheron98

Oh yes, best part - HAK cleaned up from dinner

And then busted out the Brandini Toffee

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ThunderThighs wrote:It may be one of those days....

I LOVE that this is sponsored by nickmom

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

I'm at choir practice getting my debate info from Bowtie live blogging on FB. Very amusing.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:I did this tonight for me and HAK. Turned out really great 'Course, I got the fish out of the oven and we looked at it and said "well what do we do with this now?" Got the spine out pretty well, but there were still plenty of little bones to contend with. I also ended up doing the red snapper... made a side dish of zucchini and bell peppers.

Sadly, I could not find his Albino Rhino, so I went with the F-Bomb instead. Worked out alright, but could have used just a little more acidity. Those potatoes got a little happy with the oil. I actually thought about pouring some vinegar on the fish to make up for the less acidic wine, but didn't do it. Should've.

All in all, quite tasty

Good to hear! Glad you enjoyed it! Our friends made sure to spoon the sauce from the bottom of the pan over the fish to add a little more moisture to it while serving. I'll check with them to find out what fish they typically use--I can't remember what it was. I do know that it had black skin.

I get messed up when I go for a fish fry to one of our taverns and find bones in my fish. I got used to it this summer though. When you have a whole fish, you just work with it. We put a plate out for bones and skin. Our friend's son loves to eat the head. THAT's where I draw the line. So, not for me! Pilar just cut the fish in quarters or so--depending on the size of the fish and served it directly from the baking pan.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:Oh yes, best part - HAK cleaned up from dinner

And then busted out the Brandini Toffee

Somehow I missed that you are still on the coast. When are you going back to your place?

bahwm

UBlink wrote:I'm at choir practice getting my debate info from Bowtie live blogging on FB. Very amusing.

Please check your PMs. I send you one a few weeks ago! I am a very patient person. I teach middle school.

bahwm

ddeuddeg went to pick up our tour stash at FedEx/Kinko's. No phone call because the phone number was not on the label. However, shipping info is a marvelous thing when it's accurate!

bahwm

OK, may as well be a post swab. Remember the good ole days?

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
bahwm wrote:Please check your PMs. I send you one a few weeks ago! I am a very patient person. I teach middle school.

I got PMs from you and your SO. I replied to his - I'll get to yours after choir.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

It's finally starting to feel like fall. A nice late afternoon on shore breeze and temps falling quickly. My favorite time of the year. Warm days and chilly nights.

CT

bahwm

UBlink wrote:I got PMs from you and your SO. I replied to his - I'll get to yours after choir.

Tee-Hee. I'll cut him some slack. He's been a sick buckaroo these last two weeks.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
UBlink wrote:I'm at choir practice getting my debate info from Bowtie live blogging on FB. Very amusing.

I hate them both

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bahwm

UBlink wrote:I got PMs from you and your SO. I replied to his - I'll get to yours after choir.

Got it. Thanks!

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Tee-Hee. I'll cut him some slack. He's been a sick buckaroo these last two weeks.

Rut row! Not his back still?

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
MarkDaSpark wrote:Rut row! Not his back still?

PM for you.

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:PM for you.

Answered.

North316

Finally got the cooler loaded up. I'm at about 145 bottles right now, with a small rack to still go in the bottom. When all is said and done I may only be 2-2.5 cases short of space. If I can drink some down before the spree of new releases we are probably going to get here soon, then I may be okay.

I also want to mention that as much I love Scott Harvey's wines, I now HATE the bottles that he uses. These Eurocaves were just not meant for anything other than generic Bordeaux bottles and every single bottle that Scott uses (with the exception of the InZin), including the Astrale e Terra, are taller and slight "mushroomed" at the top of the bottle so that they they refuse to stack or interlace properly in my cooler and if I try to lay several on top of each other, the top row is no longer level and therefore the entire cork does not stay covered by wine.

Just means I have to drink his wine fast, right?

My CT

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:I also want to mention that as much I love Scott Harvey's wines, I now HATE the bottles that he uses. These Eurocaves were just not meant for anything other than generic Bordeaux bottles and every single bottle that Scott uses (with the exception of the InZin), including the Astrale e Terra, are taller and slight "mushroomed" at the top of the bottle so that they they refuse to stack or interlace properly in my cooler and if I try to lay several on top of each other, the top row is no longer level and therefore the entire cork does not stay covered by wine.

Except for his Rosé (Jana), Riesling (Jana), & Syrah (SH) wines, which are in the Burgundy shape.

Oh, and Corison. Her bottles are taller too.

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:I also want to mention that as much I love Scott Harvey's wines, I now HATE the bottles that he uses. These Eurocaves were just not meant for anything other than generic Bordeaux bottles and every single bottle that Scott uses (with the exception of the InZin), including the Astrale e Terra, are taller and slight "mushroomed" at the top of the bottle so that they they refuse to stack or interlace properly in my cooler and if I try to lay several on top of each other, the top row is no longer level and therefore the entire cork does not stay covered by wine.

Worst wine bottles ever: Turley. They fit NOWHERE!

MarkDaSpark

Gotta love Woot. Bought the "new" Banshee headset. Got an email saying they weren't new, but refurbs.

Email said they were refunding $15 for the mistake, and offering us a chance to cancel the order (by noon Wed CT) and get the whole amount back.

So I emailed saying cancel. Got an email back saying it was cancelled and refund on the way. Checked on the stuff page and sure enough, it said cancelled.

However, today I get a shipping notification on them, and they are no longer showing cancelled on the stuff page. ????

So email sent to them asking if it is a "new" one they found, or still the old, and reminding them I cancelled the refurb.

On the bright side, temps are finally going down here in SoCal, and my grass is green!!

Edit: My lawn is green! The lawn!! Sheesh!

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Worst wine bottles ever: Turley. They fit NOWHERE!

Sure they do! In my belly! Or they would if I ever drank my wine.

Darn Wine Glasses!!!

North316

Any quick suggestions on what would go well with BLT's tonight? (and some fancy Velveta Shells and Cheese). I was leaning towards a bottle of the Hahn Cab Franc, since some of the notes I read said "bacon fat".

My CT

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

North316 wrote:Any quick suggestions on what would go well with BLT's tonight? (and some fancy Velveta Shells and Cheese). I was leaning towards a bottle of the Hahn Cab Franc, since some of the notes I read said "bacon fat".

Off My Gangplank! you just made me RAVENOUS.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Gotta love Woot. Bought the "new" Banshee headset. Got an email saying they weren't new, but refurbs.

Email said they were refunding $15 for the mistake, and offering us a chance to cancel the order (by noon Wed CT) and get the whole amount back.

So I emailed saying cancel. Got an email back saying it was cancelled and refund on the way. Checked on the stuff page and sure enough, it said cancelled.

However, today I get a shipping notification on them, and they are no longer showing cancelled on the stuff page. ????

So email sent to them asking if it is a "new" one they found, or still the old, and reminding them I cancelled the refurb.

On the bright side, temps are finally going down here in SoCal, and my grass is green!!

Edit: My lawn is green! The lawn!! Sheesh!

At first I was

But then I went

We try hard?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
North316 wrote:Any quick suggestions on what would go well with BLT's tonight? (and some fancy Velveta Shells and Cheese). I was leaning towards a bottle of the Hahn Cab Franc, since some of the notes I read said "bacon fat".

No suggestions but I do know what I want for dinner now.

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

inkycatz wrote:No suggestions but I do know what I want for dinner now.

If you have never tried it, add avocado slices to your next BLT. It takes BLT awesomeness to the next level.

My CT

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

North316 wrote:If you have never tried it, add avocado slices to your next BLT. It takes BLT awesomeness to the next level.

the BLAT.
a classic.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.