WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Ty Caton Autumn Relaunch

This is Earth calling Ty Caton Station, come in Ty Caton Station. Ever since that relaunch, you've been moving a light speed toward Planet Fantastic. Mission Control assumes anywhere named Planet Fantastic has a ton of pinball machines, so we wanted to give you a head's up: save your quarters. Over and out.
Ty Caton official site

Facebookin' for glory
Tweet like a bird!

Quality Posts

• (4:26 PM, 9/27/2012) [WINERY] TyCaton discusses ratings and awards.
  • (4:33 PM, 9/27/2012) [WINERY] TyCaton provides vineyard blocks perspective.
  • (4:35 PM, 9/27/2012) [WINERY] TyCaton throws in a tiny correction.

Cesare

quality posts: 1566 Private Messages Cesare

Ty Caton Autumn Relaunch

Ty Caton 2009 TyTanium 2-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $160.00) 38% off List Price
2009 Ty Caton TyTanium

Ty Caton 2010 George’s Mendocino County Riesling 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $84.00) 29% off List Price
2010 Ty Caton George’s Mendocino County Riesling

Ty Caton 2010 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $88.00) 26% off List Price
2010 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Ty Caton 2010 Little Hill Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $98.00) 34% off List Price
2010 Little Hill Cabernet Sauvignon

Previous offer:
7/2/12 (Plus)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Cesare wrote:Ty Caton

Mornin' Cesare!

I'm just hanging out, really.

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
Cesare wrote:Ty Caton

'Nuff said.

Neal K Bharadwaj

inkycatz

nealkb wrote:'Nuff said.

I know, right?

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
inkycatz wrote:I know, right?

Now I just have to convince myself that I have enough money and space to buy a set.

Neal K Bharadwaj

inkycatz

nealkb wrote:Now I just have to convince myself that I have enough money and space to buy a set.

Money, can't help with. Space issues, well, we've got some creative sorts around here.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

love their Cab's

Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I really wanted to grab some TyTanium, since I finally have my cooler up and running and ready for serious long-term storage, however, this is $30 more for two bottles than it was in December and the same price offered to RLL mid-year. Easy pass for me unfortunately. I like Ty's wines, I just don't like Ty's wine at his prices anymore. Maybe some Racchus Red at a decent price?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis
North316 wrote:Maybe some Racchus Red at a decent price?

The Racchus Red is my favorite woot to date. It still bothers me that I only grabbed one set when it was offered =[

winegirl

quality posts: 20 Private Messages winegirl

Absolutely fabulous selections from Ty Caton Vineyards.

And all you can ship for $5???

I would be all over that Tytanium deal especially with the holidays coming up. It's such a beautiful wine.

I have seen him run out of the cab selections too.

What a great week on the woot!

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

I paid $15 per bottle less for same vintage of tytanium last time. That's a big bummer.

CT

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
winegirl wrote:Absolutely fabulous selections from Ty Caton Vineyards.

I would be all over that Tytanium deal especially with the holidays coming up. It's such a beautiful wine.

My credit card just said..."Uh-Oh..."

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
winegirl wrote:Absolutely fabulous selections from Ty Caton Vineyards.

So...Can you or Ty discuss what has happened to TyTanium and why the reviews on CellarTracker are so depressed compared to what I would expect from his TyTanium? Sorry to be so direct, but I'm going to need some convincing on that one.

Also curious about how the Little Hill compares/constrasts to the other Cab.

I have the Cab in my cellar already so might have to pop a cork on it tonight to see what I think...

Thanks!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
cortot20 wrote:I paid $15 per bottle less for same vintage of tytanium last time. That's a big bummer.

Same here...$15 a bottle more for the TyTanium gives one cause to think deeply about buying any. Glad I bought 2 sets last time around. At the old price, I would be all over this...Will have to pass on this one unless the price is adjusted downward by at least $10 a bottle. You listening woot??

North316

bobrush12866 wrote:Same here...$15 a bottle more for the TyTanium gives one cause to think deeply about buying any. Glad I bought 2 sets last time around. At the old price, I would be all over this...Will have to pass on this one unless the price is adjusted downward by at least $10 a bottle. You listening woot??

Agreed. At the old price I would have been in for at least one, maybe two.

I do doubt the price will be dropped though, as this is a Plus deal, which usually aren't as good as normal woots to begin with.

Not that it matters or will change, but I would also be in on the Riesling at $15/bottle, but not $20.

My CT

North316

vaaccess wrote:So...Can you or Ty discuss what has happened to TyTanium and why the reviews on CellarTracker are so depressed compared to what I would expect from his TyTanium? Sorry to be so direct, but I'm going to need some convincing on that one.

I don't have any experience with this wine in particular, but I would guess the lower CT scores are just because the wine is being consumed far too young. Ty generally releases he wines 2 or 3 years before he probably should, and thus, they get consumed before they are fully integrated. The more recent scores are better, but are also not given with any accompanying notes, so I would take them with a grain of salt.

My CT

winegirl

North316 wrote:Agreed. At the old price I would have been in for at least one, maybe two.

I do doubt the price will be dropped though, as this is a Plus deal, which usually aren't as good as normal woots to begin with.

Not that it matters or will change, but I would also be in on the Riesling at $15/bottle, but not $20.

I think this may be about supply and demand at this point. Because its so nicely aged, it may be heading to the library soon.

winegirl

vaaccess wrote:So...Can you or Ty discuss what has happened to TyTanium and why the reviews on CellarTracker are so depressed compared to what I would expect from his TyTanium? Sorry to be so direct, but I'm going to need some convincing on that one.

Also curious about how the Little Hill compares/constrasts to the other Cab.

I have the Cab in my cellar already so might have to pop a cork on it tonight to see what I think...

Thanks!

HI Vaac, I am not in the know. Will have Ty respond. All good ?'s. Will be interested in the response as well.

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
winegirl wrote:HI Vaac, I am not in the know. Will have Ty respond. All good ?'s. Will be interested in the response as well.

Shame on me, but I have never been on CT, nor do I know what it is or have read any reviews. Tytanium over the years has always done well with competitions and ratings. We've had several double golds, most recently at the SF Chronicle Tasting, the largest in the world for american wines and the Sunset Magazine Int'l wine Competition. It was also awarded "One of the top 5 wines of the year by Quarterly Review of Wines in their 27th Annual, blind tasting Best of the Best Isssue. This vintage being offered today is a new release and I think it's going to be the best yet.

/tycaton/

TyCaton

winegirl wrote:HI Vaac, I am not in the know. Will have Ty respond. All good ?'s. Will be interested in the response as well.

RE: Little Hill Caberent. Our vineyards are on the Mayacamas Mountain range that separate Napa and Sonoma. We tilt on the Sonoma side. The vineyard blocks have been developed with the contour of the land in mind. Consequently, the different blocks all have different sun exposures, incline, elevation, clones, soil types, etc. Sometimes they are 20 yards apart and sometimes they are 500 feet in elevation apart. These blocks are farmed separately, harvested and kept separate in the winery. This block is very small, less than 2 acres, lacks vertility and produces a very small crop. It's very unique and different from the other Cabs on the property. In my opinion, its the most bordeaux like of the 8 Cabs I produce each year.

/tycaton/

TyCaton

TyCaton wrote:RE: Little Hill Caberent. Our vineyards are on the Mayacamas Mountain range that separate Napa and Sonoma. We tilt on the Sonoma side. The vineyard blocks have been developed with the contour of the land in mind. Consequently, the different blocks all have different sun exposures, incline, elevation, clones, soil types, etc. Sometimes they are 20 yards apart and sometimes they are 500 feet in elevation apart. These blocks are farmed separately, harvested and kept separate in the winery. This block is very small, less than 2 acres, lacks vertility and produces a very small crop. It's very unique and different from the other Cabs on the property. In my opinion, its the most bordeaux like of the 8 Cabs I produce each year.

Correcton, it is the 2009 being offered, the vintage with the two gold medals behind it. My bad.

/tycaton/

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen
TyCaton wrote:Shame on me, but I have never been on CT, nor do I know what it is or have read any reviews. Tytanium over the years has always done well with competitions and ratings. We've had several double golds, most recently at the SF Chronicle Tasting, the largest in the world for american wines and the Sunset Magazine Int'l wine Competition. It was also awarded "One of the top 5 wines of the year by Quarterly Review of Wines in their 27th Annual, blind tasting Best of the Best Isssue. This vintage being offered today is a new release and I think it's going to be the best yet.

OK - I'm confused. I bought some of the 2009 TyTanium in July, 2011. New release?

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

twelch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twelch

I regretted not buying some cabs when I visited last month, so here goes! Re: pricing, all of these wines are still great deals. I can't even get Ty's wines this cheap as a wine club member, plus the $5 shipping doesn't hurt.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
TyCaton wrote:Correcton, it is the 2009 being offered, the vintage with the two gold medals behind it. My bad.

Big fan of your Cab's made 1st purchase this morning (Little Hill)

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
North316 wrote:I really wanted to grab some TyTanium, since I finally have my cooler up and running and ready for serious long-term storage, however, this is $30 more for two bottles than it was in December and the same price offered to RLL mid-year. Easy pass for me unfortunately. I like Ty's wines, I just don't like Ty's wine at his prices anymore. Maybe some Racchus Red at a decent price?

Yumm the Racchus is yumm!

TyCaton

mommadeb1 wrote:Yumm the Racchus is yumm!

Thanks! I'm working on Racchus. I just want to revamp the label. What does most folks say about the label that you've talked with? Do they like it or not? I get mixed reviews on the label.

/tycaton/

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
TyCaton wrote:Thanks! I'm working on Racchus. I just want to revamp the label. What does most folks say about the label that you've talked with? Do they like it or not? I get mixed reviews on the label.

I like the old label.....

dalematthew

quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew
TyCaton wrote:RE: Little Hill Caberent. Our vineyards are on the Mayacamas Mountain range that separate Napa and Sonoma. We tilt on the Sonoma side. The vineyard blocks have been developed with the contour of the land in mind. Consequently, the different blocks all have different sun exposures, incline, elevation, clones, soil types, etc. Sometimes they are 20 yards apart and sometimes they are 500 feet in elevation apart. These blocks are farmed separately, harvested and kept separate in the winery. This block is very small, less than 2 acres, lacks vertility and produces a very small crop. It's very unique and different from the other Cabs on the property. In my opinion, its the most bordeaux like of the 8 Cabs I produce each year.

Thanks for the background on the Little Hill (I actually went in for some this morning). How would you contrast it with the Estate?

TyCaton

dalematthew wrote:Thanks for the background on the Little Hill (I actually went in for some this morning). How would you contrast it with the Estate?

The estate cab (they're all estate) is a blend of the Arroyo, Barracks, and Upper Bench Block. It's quite different.

/tycaton/

dalematthew

quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew
TyCaton wrote:The estate cab (they're all estate) is a blend of the Arroyo, Barracks, and Upper Bench Block. It's quite different.

Could you elaborate on how it is different? Thanks.

Deezy2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deezy2

Recently I paid $79.96.. shipped, on WTSO for 4 of the 2010 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Come on Woot!

TyCaton

Deezy2 wrote:Recently I paid $79.96.. shipped, on WTSO for 4 of the 2010 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Come on Woot!

Deezy, that was a completely different wine that is not offered with this offering.

/tycaton/

Deezy2

TyCaton wrote:Deezy, that was a completely different wine that is not offered with this offering.

Hi Mr Caton.. please explain. Because I'm holding the bottle in my hand, and the label is the same as what's posted on Woot.

TyCaton

Deezy2 wrote:Hi Mr Caton.. please explain. Because I'm holding the bottle in my hand, and the label is the same as what's posted on Woot.

The bottle you are holding in your hand, assuming you bought it from the other site is called "Winemaker's Cuvee". This is a different blend. Tt is the declassification wine from my vineyards. A very tasty wine if I do say so myself

/tycaton/

Deezy2

TyCaton wrote:The bottle you are holding in your hand, assuming you bought it from the other site is called "Winemaker's Cuvee". This is a different blend. Tt is the declassification wine from my vineyards. A very tasty wine if I do say so myself

Understood.. and yes, it is very tasty :-) As is your '09 and '10 Verdot Carlton Brooke Sandybrooke and your 2009 Petite Sirah Caton Vineyard. I am a fan.

MaureenV

quality posts: 3 Private Messages MaureenV

Ty-

Could you tell us when these selections would ship to Michigan. We all know WOOT shipping is kind of slow. I would like to buy but I am leaving town in a couple of weeks, not sure if they would arrive before I leave. Thanks!

tuerkish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tuerkish

Agreed on the Racchus - looking forward to its return regardless of what the label looks like. That being said, I think the label is just fine, although it doesn't match your others.

I will try to pop open a Little Hill from last go around and report back. So far I have made my way through some Racchus, Ty's Red, and Upper Bench Merlot and have not been disappointed yet. One of these days I will convince myself to get some TyTanium. It would be a much simpler decision at the price point others have mentioned

flowerchild59

quality posts: 23 Private Messages flowerchild59

I am a huge Ty fan and have never had the pleasure to try the rielsling. Will have to give it a whirl.

On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid
flowerchild59 wrote:I am a huge Ty fan and have never had the pleasure to try the rielsling. Will have to give it a whirl.

It is definitely a summer wine...so pop that soon! Last Christmas season my sister, visiting from VA, and I had the pleasure of being served some by George himself in the (bustling) tasting room! I still have some from our visit...and will take my own advice and pop that tonight...it being Saturday and all. Enjoy this fine selection!