WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Bodegas Paso Robles Albariño

Speed to First Woot:
7m 12.110s
First Sucker:
dramaguy
Last Wooter to Woot:
mbaylog
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 27% of Wine Woots
Bottom 31% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 42% of Wine Woots
Bottom 40% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 3% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 10% < 10 woots
  • 16% < 25 woots
  • 68% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 2% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 16% one year old
  • 81% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 95% bought 1
  • 3% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

5%
1%
1%
1%
3%
0%
9%
12%
6%
13%
4%
13%
2%
4%
2%
4%
2%
0%
3%
0%
2%
4%
3%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1697 Private Messages Cesare

Bodegas Paso Robles 2011 Albariño 4-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $88.00) 32% off List Price
2011 "Galicia" Albariño
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'll be at the tasting room Oct. 27th.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3

Hi Everyone ~ I am Heather the winery representative, please don't hesitate to ask any questions!

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3
kylemittskus wrote:I'll be at the tasting room Oct. 27th.



Fantastic! Can't wait to see ya!

Limlo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Limlo

I live in Paso, work with wineries here, and I've been to the Bodegas tasting room and purchased wine. Bodegas makes some of my favorite wines in the Paso region in their price range. Really great value for the money... Fun, spirited whites that are a million times better than the "dime a dozen" viognier and chardonnay bottles many Paso Robles producers have.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

I recently served this to a group of five friends. It was served chilled, along with appetizers of spicy boiled shrimp and jalapeños stuffed with breakfast sausage and cheese. The color of the wine was light yellow. The nose seemed to smell like a granny smith apple, yet the taste resembled peach and pear. While we expected it to be acidic and crisp, it was not. The wine coated your tongue with a smooth velvety feel, which everyone enjoyed. There was a slight sweetness to it. Amongst us, there were exclusively red drinkers, some white wine drinkers and even a box wine drinker. This wine went very well with the shrimp, but the peppers were too spicy to be affected by the wine. By the time the bottle was empty, which was rather quickly, all six gave it a "buy" recommendation. You will not regret buying this. I just hope that you buy enough of it, because once you taste it you'll wish you had bought more.

EDIT:
Last Wooter to Woot:jmdavidson

Last Purchase:a minute ago

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

I had some Bodegas Paso Robles Albariño "Galicia " just this past weekend! I've been getting into Albariño, Torrontes and Verdejo recently and this did not disappoint.

Green apples on the nose. Green apples and pears on the palate with a slightly viscuous mouthfeel made this seem almost like a light Riesling but there was more to it.... hints of tropical fruit, especially as the wine warmed a bit in the glass. Grapefruit and pineapple with peach and some grassiness. Decent acidity and a touch of lemon on the finish.

Overall, the wine was off-dry and nicely tart. It definitely opened up as it warmed to reveal plenty of fruit, but with just a touch of sweetness. I'm thinking this would pair really well with Chinese food but it was very enjoyable on its own.

dmatich


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmatich

Hi Heather...loving this wine. See you Sunday morning!

ERMD


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

Was just in Paso 2 weeks ago, past by Bodegas but did not get a chance to go in. Love the Paso area.
In for 1


Last Wooter to Woot:
ERMD

dalylink


quality posts: 6 Private Messages dalylink
While we expected it to be acidic and crisp, it was not



Grapefruit and pineapple with peach and some grassiness. Decent acidity and a touch of lemon on the finish


I'm having trouble reconciling these two reviews. In my recollection Albarino is usually very tart with some balancing acidity and RS. Grassiness seems to denote some Sauvignon Blanc.

Comments from the winemaker?

gcason


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gcason

Question for Heather:

I'm an enthusiastic beginner when it comes to wines, so bear with me please...

Is the Residual Sugar in this wine typical of Albarinos? I would swear that most I've had were very dry.

Thanks for your help!

A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover. -Clifton Paul Fadiman

JanFP


quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

Oooh! I've been dreaming about this wine ever since I had a bottle at a little French place in Redondo Beach. In for one - thanks Woot!

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

gcdyersb


quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
gcason wrote:
Is the Residual Sugar in this wine typical of Albarinos? I would swear that most I've had were very dry.



Yeah, I'm a little confused by the choice of 'Galicia' as the name of the cuvee. Galician Albarino does tend to be dry and acidic, so why name an off-dry and soft wine after a region with a different style? Yes, the varietal is the same, but otherwise this only serves to confuse consumers.

As an aside, it seems like Woot is offering a lot more off dry and sweet wines. What next, a mixed case of Barefoot Moscato and Apothic Red?

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

lacotomo


quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo

Wine rookie here. Can anyone compare this to the Albino Rhino Woot offering?

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3
gcason wrote:Question for Heather:

I'm an enthusiastic beginner when it comes to wines, so bear with me please...

Is the Residual Sugar in this wine typical of Albarinos? I would swear that most I've had were very dry.

Thanks for your help!



No, it is not typical of Albarinos to have RS, most of them are dry, although some of them can have a little effervencence.

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3
gcdyersb wrote:Yeah, I'm a little confused by the choice of 'Galicia' as the name of the cuvee. Galician Albarino does tend to be dry and acidic, so why name an off-dry and soft wine after a region with a different style? Yes, the varietal is the same, but otherwise this only serves to confuse consumers.

As an aside, it seems like Woot is offering a lot more off dry and sweet wines. What next, a mixed case of Barefoot Moscato and Apothic Red?



We have been making Albarino for years and we have always called it "Galicia." Last years weather had an influence on the choice of the style of the wine. We decided a little RS would be a good thing. There was no attempt to confuse the consumer. Apparently, when they have a small crop in the Rias Baixas they sometimes add concentrate thus adding a little sweetness to the Albarino. This wine however has no concentrate thus the decision to leave in the tiniest of RS.

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3
dalylink wrote:I'm having trouble reconciling these two reviews. In my recollection Albarino is usually very tart with some balancing acidity and RS. Grassiness seems to denote some Sauvignon Blanc.

Comments from the winemaker?



Albarino usually has a grapefruit finish and is very crisp and dry. We do not detect any grassiness in this wine. As you are aware, pallets may differ. The offering is 100% Albarino.

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
dalylink wrote:I'm having trouble reconciling these two reviews. In my recollection Albarino is usually very tart with some balancing acidity and RS. Grassiness seems to denote some Sauvignon Blanc.

Comments from the winemaker?



It's 100% Albariño. I thought I detected a hint of grassiness but that's just my palate, YMMV. I also detected a little lemon on the finish so let's combine the 2 and call it lemongrass, yeah that's the ticket!

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3
ERMD wrote:Was just in Paso 2 weeks ago, past by Bodegas but did not get a chance to go in. Love the Paso area.
In for 1


Last Wooter to Woot:
ERMD



Please make sure you stop by the tasting room next time you are in town and tell us you are a fellow Wooter!

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3
dmatich wrote:Hi Heather...loving this wine. See you Sunday morning!



Thanks Drew ~ Looking forward to a fun tasting this weekend!

mrn1


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1

Wave The Flag!!!!
How come Heather's avatar is so much better looking than mine?

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mrn1 wrote:Wave The Flag!!!!
How come Heather's avatar is so much better looking than mine?



Under your account you should find a number of options for avatars, including linking other accounts!

I'm just hanging out, really.

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Despite enjoying this wine I was hesitant to go in on it because I already have 4 bottles of Bodegas M Albariño from a previous wine.woot deal and the grapes were sourced from the same Jack Ranch vineyard. After thinking about it, I decided that was even more reason to go in on this so that I can compare the two. It should be fun to see how different/similar they are.

The Bodegas M Albariño was 2010 vintage, spent 8 months in French oak and has little to no RS whereas the Bodegas Paso Robles Albariño is 2011, was aged in French oak for 3 months and has a touch of sweetness. Can't wait to try them side by side!



First Sucker: dramaguy
Last Wooter to Woot: chipgreen
Last Purchase: 2 minutes ago

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:
First Sucker: dramaguy
Last Wooter to Woot: chipgreen
Last Purchase: 2 minutes ago



Totally out of control, hah.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

funbunny


quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny

Can anybody compare the sweetness level of this to the Triacipedis II & III. I know they are different grapes, but I have a good number of T bottles left along with Rad Dog Riesling. I'm looking for something a little further up the dry scale.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
chipgreen wrote: After thinking about it, I decided that was even more reason to go in on this so that I can compare the two. It should be fun to see how different/similar they are.


You'll share the results with us, I hope!

I'm just hanging out, really.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
funbunny wrote:Can anybody compare the sweetness level of this to the Triacipedis II & III. I know they are different grapes, but I have a good number of T bottles left along with Rad Dog Riesling. I'm looking for something a little further up the dry scale.



IMO: I found the Tri III to have a citrus and crisp taste. While this was more peach and pear like, with a velvety feel on the tongue. No acidic swallow. The flavor of this lasted quite a while. This was a little sweet in a different way than the Tri III.

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Totally out of control, hah.



You can't stop me, you can only hope to contain me.

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
inkycatz wrote:You'll share the results with us, I hope!



Absotively!

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3

Hey wooters; here's another tasting note on the wine including a cool pairing idea...

http://vinesleuth.com/uncorked/weeknight-dinner-wine-pairing-creamy-chicken-enchiladas-and-bodegas-paso-robles-galicia-albarino/

neilfindswine


quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...it's always good to see our friends from Bodegas Paso Robles on Woot!. I'm a big fan of Spanish varietals and Dorothy knows how to turn 'em into tasty wines. This one is no exception.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
hcgray3 wrote:Hey wooters; here's another tasting note on the wine including a cool pairing idea...

http://vinesleuth.com/uncorked/weeknight-dinner-wine-pairing-creamy-chicken-enchiladas-and-bodegas-paso-robles-galicia-albarino/



Now I'm hungry!



hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3
chipgreen wrote:Now I'm hungry!



Right??

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3
neilfindswine wrote:...it's always good to see our friends from Bodegas Paso Robles on Woot!. I'm a big fan of Spanish varietals and Dorothy knows how to turn 'em into tasty wines. This one is no exception.



Thanks Neil!

michaelvella


quality posts: 13 Private Messages michaelvella

That enchilada photo sealed the deal, in for one.
Props to the PR growing region, they make CA proud.

neilfindswine


quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

michaelvella wrote:That enchilada photo sealed the deal, in for one.
Props to the PR growing region, they make CA proud.



Note, the offer DOES NOT include the enchiladas.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

mudman2007


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

Albarino wines come from the NE corner of Spain.The mineral content of the soil in California is totally wrong for this type of wine which would make it as soulless as its inhabitants.Stick to original Spanish vintages.

hcgray3


quality posts: 20 Private Messages hcgray3
mudman2007 wrote:Albarino wines come from the NE corner of Spain.The mineral content of the soil in California is totally wrong for this type of wine which would make it as soulless as its inhabitants.Stick to original Spanish vintages.



Albarino wines come from the NW corner of Spain on the Atlantic Ocean, where it is cool and foggy. The vineyard where we buy these grapes is about a mile from the Pacific Ocean where it is cool and foggy. We recently had a couple from Madrid in our tasting room at that time we were still pouring our 2010 vintage they told us that our Albarino tasted exactly like their favorite Spanish Albarino. Interestingly enough, when a Chicago wine writer reviewed that Spanish wine and ours the comments were almost identical. California has many types of soils all the way from linne calado clay to sandy soils to the calcareous rock found in the Southern Rhone.

Limlo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Limlo
mudman2007 wrote:Albarino wines come from the NE corner of Spain.The mineral content of the soil in California is totally wrong for this type of wine which would make it as soulless as its inhabitants.Stick to original Spanish vintages.



By your logic then, any wine grown in the new world isn't worth drinking. It's important to plant vineyards in conditions that will create great wine, but that doesn't always mean planting them in the same exact place... forever. Grapes travel, and while a sense of terroir is certainly worth something, saying that a grape variety can only be cultivated in one place is just silly — not to mention self-defeating.