Sextant Wines 2010 Wheelhouse Zinfandel
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
6/15/12 (Plus)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

pH of 3.1! That could darn near take the meat off your bones. With the RS @ 0.26, does this at all hint of sweetness of a new world, or more in the classic style?

CT

mochamix79

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mochamix79

I'm with RQ...this sounds like something that can strip off the enamel..and I love it. Gonna have to sleep on this and hope I won't regret it because it is gone in the morning. Still an early vintage with a recent bottling, so I'm hoping my pillow talk will talk me into this.

cwc22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cwc22

This stuff is outstanding. In for a lot (thanks Woot for relaxing the upper limit) and this was the easiest Woot decision ever.

I emptied our local warehouse bulk store of their 2009 of this, only to find that the 2010 they replaced it with is even better. Right now, it's better, side by side, already. This'll save me from loading up the cart and the raised eyebrows at checkout. Again.

If there is justice, this'll sell out.

It's big, thick, dark, rich and a great mouthful. Yum.

otisskavier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otisskavier
cwc22 wrote:This stuff is outstanding. In for a lot (thanks Woot for relaxing the upper limit) and this was the easiest Woot decision ever.

I emptied our local warehouse bulk store of their 2009 of this, only to find that the 2010 they replaced it with is even better. Right now, it's better, side by side, already. This'll save me from loading up the cart and the raised eyebrows at checkout. Again.

If there is justice, this'll sell out.

It's big, thick, dark, rich and a great mouthful. Yum.

Ok, you convinced me... In for one!

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m

Neutral oak. I'm liking that. Anyone else had these guys?

TomRaz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TomRaz
Cesare wrote:Sextant Wines 2010 Wheelhouse Zinfandel 5-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $105.00) 29% off List Price
Sextant Wines 2010 Wheelhouse Zinfandel
CT link above

Cesare are you sure summer shipping is still in effect ?

I have a order that was placed on 09/08 that is coming FedEx Ground from the west coast which is not the same as the summer shipping of 2 day Fedex express

Winery website

Previous offer:
6/15/12 (Plus)
  • Summer shipping is still in effect so don't worry about your wine.
  • Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.

• jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

SWMBO loves Sextant, and I haven't missed a purchase yet... But with a trip to Cali coming up I don't know if I can make this happen. My trip does have Sextant on the list to visit though, so maybe I can pick some up then.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

srwatters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srwatters

Anyone else notice the multiple CT ratings on the same or consecutive days for the 2010 and 2009 vintages? What's the deal?

I like central coast Zins, but am a bit hesitant to pick up 5 bottles based on the reviews.

Then again it can always go in the pasta sauce :-)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
    srwatters wrote:Anyone else notice the multiple CT ratings on the same or consecutive days for the 2010 and 2009 vintages? What's the deal?

I like central coast Zins, but am a bit hesitant to pick up 5 bottles based on the reviews.

Then again it can always go in the pasta sauce :-)

That is why CT is very unreliable and why I ignore people like that. I pretty much ignore any CT rating where someone couldn't even take 2 minutes to write notes (even though I do this sometimes as well). When you see consecutive ratings on the same day like that, it is usually someone who is updating their CT once a month,long after actually drinking the wine, at which time how could they really be providing an accurate rating?

My CT
    "Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
    R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy

Hey! It's even a dollar cheaper a bottle than the last offering!

Have appreciated every Sextant offering made so far, this is tempting for the holidays... really tempting.

srwatters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srwatters

OK. I'm sold. In for one.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
    North316 wrote:That is why CT is very unreliable and why I ignore people like that. I pretty much ignore any CT rating where someone couldn't even take 2 minutes to write notes (even though I do this sometimes as well). When you see consecutive ratings on the same day like that, it is usually someone who is updating their CT once a month,long after actually drinking the wine, at which time how could they really be providing an accurate rating?

Pfft, CT. I just depend on you all.

I'm just hanging out, really.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

I drive by their Paso facility all the time but never seem to have time to stop in for a tasting. Problem solved...in for one. Can't go wrong with central coast Zins IMO.

jchasma

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jchasma

I bought a bottle of the 2009 for $20 at my local TotalWine. It was great- especially compared to other Sextant wines I have bought on WW in the past ( which were all still great)! It was fruity and very sweet. Unfortunately this just isn't enough of a deal for me. Maybe I am spoiled by half off...

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
    rjquillin wrote:pH of 3.1! That could darn near take the meat off your bones. With the RS @ 0.26, does this at all hint of sweetness of a new world, or more in the classic style?

I think they mis-quoted the 3.1pH. At 3.1pH a red wine will normally not go through malo/latic. The acid number makes more sense.

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

I loaded up on the 2007 Sextant Wheelhouse, but am down to my last few bottles. The 2007 is amazing!!!

I see that the 2007 was Wine Spectator rated 90 points, and that the 2010 is WS rated 89 points. Also, at $15 per bottle (an only $5 shipping), this looks like quite a deal.

A perfect wine to store until Thanksgiving.

In for 1!

rjquillin

ScottHarveyWines wrote:I think they mis-quoted the 3.1pH. At 3.1pH a red wine will normally not go through malo/latic. The acid number makes more sense.

Thanks Scott! Lacking, so far, winery participation, and seeing "sweet" comments, do you think you could make any comments as to the style of this? I'm nowhere good enough yet to really interpret raw numbers and nail a style, but I'm trying to learn.

CT

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Aaaw man...did NOT get the Swami last night due to $$ reason, and now this?

Yes, it's fantastic Zin, and I am very tempted by this also. My last purchase of this from Woot was very very good, ready to drink now, and falls somewhere between a "mature, grown-up, sit around a tony clubhouse and sip wine" Zin and a "take it to the corner BYOB BBQ shop/purple-tooth couchpounder."

Woot, you make my life so hard sometimes! *sigh*

chatsextant

quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
    rjquillin wrote:pH of 3.1! That could darn near take the meat off your bones. With the RS @ 0.26, does this at all hint of sweetness of a new world, or more in the classic style?

It's a happy mediuum, where old world meets the fresh new style of Paso Zin.

chatsextant

jcarlton03 wrote:SWMBO loves Sextant, and I haven't missed a purchase yet... But with a trip to Cali coming up I don't know if I can make this happen. My trip does have Sextant on the list to visit though, so maybe I can pick some up then.

And we love you too. What location are you planning on visiting? Our new Winery in Paso or our Historic Tasting Room in Edna Valley?

chatsextant

rjquillin wrote:Thanks Scott! Lacking, so far, winery participation, and seeing "sweet" comments, do you think you could make any comments as to the style of this? I'm nowhere good enough yet to really interpret raw numbers and nail a style, but I'm trying to learn.

The pH was misquoted- it should read 3.6pH. It's fruit foward, big, BOLDS Zinfandel. The RS of .26 does not make it sweet but adds body.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Any comparisons to the 2008 Central Coast Zin offered by Sextant last December would be appreciated.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03
    chatsextant wrote:And we love you too. What location are you planning on visiting? Our new Winery in Paso or our Historic Tasting Room in Edna Valley?

I believe that we are going to be visiting the Winery in Paso (not 100%, but pretty sure). We are staying at La Bellasera in Paso. Just noticing now that your website suggests we signup for tasting/tours...I will have to get on that.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Anyone near Danville VA interested in splitting this? I know its 5 but am willing to deal!

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins

Can anyone compare Sextant Zin with Saxon Brown Zin? I loved that juice.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
    PTommins wrote:Can anyone compare Sextant Zin with Saxon Brown Zin? I loved that juice.

The 2008? I was really underwhelmed for the price. I know tytyger was also.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins
    kylemittskus wrote:The 2008? I was really underwhelmed for the price. I know tytyger was also.

Higher price point for sure. I believe the Saxon Brown 08 was $25 a bottle. Sextant @ $15 is looking like a bargain given the positive comments I'm hearing.

rjquillin

chatsextant wrote:The pH was misquoted- it should read 3.6pH. It's fruit foward, big, BOLDS Zinfandel. The RS of .26 does not make it sweet but adds body.

Thanks for those added comments.

So I'm thinking there isn't much comparison to the Pedroncelli Mother Clone or the Dry Creek Heritage but more like a RandyZin or Bogle.

CT

cwc22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cwc22
    rjquillin wrote:Thanks for those added comments.

So I'm thinking there isn't much comparison to the Pedroncelli Mother Clone or the Dry Creek Heritage but more like a RandyZin or Bogle.

It's definitely heartier than Bogle. I don't know the others you mention. I like Bogle, it's good for the money, but this is a class above it. Less vanilla, more dark fruit, drier. I think it's because of the blend with Syrah, Petite Sirah and Tempranillo -- it feels like that adds a great deep bass note to it and a long sustain.

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

Opened a bottle of the 2009 to jog my memory and reinforce my notes. No brainer....I'm in.

Donfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Donfrank
    emccarl wrote:I loaded up on the 2007 Sextant Wheelhouse, but am down to my last few bottles. The 2007 is amazing!!!

I see that the 2007 was Wine Spectator rated 90 points, and that the 2010 is WS rated 89 points. Also, at $15 per bottle (an only $5 shipping), this looks like quite a deal.

A perfect wine to store until Thanksgiving.

In for 1!

my 2 favorite wines for Thanksgiving are Reisling and USA Pinot Noir

mls1965

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mls1965

This will be our second Sextant purchase this year. We LOVED the Coastal Zinfandel this spring.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Received mine today. I actually got 3 hours between the ship notification and arrival of the wine. Better than the usual scenario in which I receive the ship notification 3 days after the shipment arrives.

slswift

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slswift

I got a shipment notice on Oct. 3 with a tracking number which showed an Oct. 6 delivery. Nothing came and now the tracking number simply shows "shipment information sent to FedEx."

Anyone else see that with their shipment?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
    slswift wrote:I got a shipment notice on Oct. 3 with a tracking number which showed an Oct. 6 delivery. Nothing came and now the tracking number simply shows "shipment information sent to FedEx."

Anyone else see that with their shipment?

Weird, give it a couple days and let us know if it shows up (or doesn't show up). Sounds like a quirk with FedEx, but we do want to make sure you get your wine!

I'm just hanging out, really.

slswift

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slswift

Thanks. I've never had a delivery notice do that before. Whenever you guys have given me a shipping number, the wine was on its way.

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

I opened a bottle of this 2 days ago, and didn't like it at all! Way to sweet, like cherry/raspberry kool aid. Tried again last night, and the same. I can't even finish half the bottle. Very disappointed, as I'm a HUGE fan of Sextant, having bought a few cases of the 2007 vintage. Don't know if this will age and mellow out, but based on the way it tastes now, I doubt it will get better.

Really bummed, as I loved previous Sextants. I'll most likely give the remaining bottles away for Christmas presents, to those who like sweet wine.

otisskavier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otisskavier
    emccarl wrote:I opened a bottle of this 2 days ago, and didn't like it at all! Way to sweet, like cherry/raspberry kool aid.

I just got my shipment on Monday and cracked a bottle open last night. I have to agree that it is too sweet. It's not unbearable, but drink more than two glasses and it's like sipping wine-flavored corn syrup.

My wife seems to like it though, so it's not a total loss. I was just hoping for something a little better.