ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
klezman wrote:Sneaky

That* was one of the many things I learned on my first USY on Wheels trip, with a truly awesome group of young people.
EDIT: *Not being sneaky, the difference between sundown and nightfall. It meant that if they wanted me to drive them somewhere on Saturday night, it was pretty late.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit
ddeuddeg wrote:That* was one of the many things I learned on my first USY on Wheels trip, with a truly awesome group of young people.
EDIT: *Not being sneaky, the difference between sundown and nightfall. It meant that if they wanted me to drive them somewhere on Saturday night, it was pretty late.

USY!
Well, we'd prefer the 9th over the 8th mostly due to the 8th being the first night of Hanukah. Of course, if we can we will try to make it. By the way, for anyone reading this that is in LA, there is a deal on Pinot Days this Sunday just for the remainder of the day today: http://www.localwineevents.com/ticket_deals/detail/444467/launch

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:So set it for the 8th. Put on your Big Boy pants!!!

If you hold it, we will come.

I suspect that will be the call. Since I'm on a different continent from molarchae at the moment I'll need to confirm with her before actually setting it.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

time2testit wrote:USY!
Well, we'd prefer the 9th over the 8th mostly due to the 8th being the first night of Hanukah. Of course, if we can we will try to make it. By the way, for anyone reading this that is in LA, there is a deal on Pinot Days this Sunday just for the remainder of the day today: http://www.localwineevents.com/ticket_deals/detail/444467/launch

I'm happy to have you come early, we light candles, sing a bit, eat some latkes, play dreidl and such. Not sure how religious you are about the first night, though.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

time2testit

klezman wrote:I'm happy to have you come early, we light candles, sing a bit, eat some latkes, play dreidl and such. Not sure how religious you are about the first night, though.

Not a religious issue at all. No rules about not doing things on Hanukah (first night or otherwise). Just more likely to have Hanukah parties/events that night. Either way, we'll figure it out once you set the date.

klezman

time2testit wrote:Not a religious issue at all. No rules about not doing things on Hanukah (first night or otherwise). Just more likely to have Hanukah parties/events that night. Either way, we'll figure it out once you set the date.

Ok The Chabadniks I know actually refrain from working and I couldn't recall how religious you guys are aside from kashrut.

Molarchae agreed on the 8th, so it's set!

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
klezman wrote:Molarchae agreed on the 8th, so it's set!

Yay! I'll put it on my calendar.

Hmm... A special wine I was thinking of was a Georgian wine I received as a gift. The giver told me it was Stalin's favourite wine. (It's a deluxe-y-er version of the wine from the October tasting.) Perhaps that's not such a good association for Hanukkah.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

klezman

zTimothyBz wrote:Yay! I'll put it on my calendar.

Hmm... A special wine I was thinking of was a Georgian wine I received as a gift. The giver told me it was Stalin's favourite wine. (It's a deluxe-y-er version of the wine from the October tasting.) Perhaps that's not such a good association for Hanukkah.

I'm sure we can come up with a fun way to tie it into Channukah. Great miracle he's no longer running the place?

candacevbutler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages candacevbutler

Thanks for adding me to the list!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Ok The Chabadniks I know actually refrain from working and I couldn't recall how religious you guys are aside from kashrut.

Molarchae agreed on the 8th, so it's set!

8th should be fine ... I was thinking of the International Motorcycle Show in LB that weekend. Goes the whole weekend, so no problem.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:8th should be fine ... I was thinking of the International Motorcycle Show in LB that weekend. Goes the whole weekend, so no problem.

Excellent. List updated.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

As anticipated something came up, my company Xmas party is that night so count me and the mrs out.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:As anticipated something came up, my company Xmas party is that night so count me and the mrs out.

Bah, humbug!!! Putting your employer ahead of wine. You are dead to me sir! Dead I say!!!

Edit: Um, err. Perhaps I should wait for you to be dead until AFTER we exchange the Mayo GSM.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:Bah, humbug!!! Putting your employer ahead of wine. You are dead to me sir! Dead I say!!!

Edit: Um, err. Perhaps I should wait for you to be dead until AFTER we exchange the Mayo GSM.

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

There will most likely be free crappy wine at the party since its treated as more of a ball with a full dinner and such. But it is something I must do as I am trying to move up in this world and not be a low level spreadsheet jockey anymore and move into a mid. level spreadsheet jockey type position.

CT

MarkDaSpark

Sadly, family events dictate (you said dictate!!!) I must abstain from attending said event.

Of course, it is decided to have my nephew's & BiL's bday celebration on the 8th!

Of course this means that the next Saturday is now open.

zTimothyBz

MarkDaSpark wrote:Sadly, family events dictate (you said dictate!!!) I must abstain from attending said event.

Bah, humbug!!! Putting your family ahead of wine. You are dead to me sir! Dead I say!!!

Oh crap! That means I have to drink the entire contents of the locker! Please resurrect! (As a wine-drinking zombie?)

My cellar

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:Sadly, family events dictate (you said dictate!!!) I must abstain from attending said event.

Of course, it is decided to have my nephew's & BiL's bday celebration on the 8th!

Of course this means that the next Saturday is now open.

Aw, boo. You're just trying to avoid heading up to the west side

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Aw, boo. You're just trying to avoid heading up to the west side

On the 8th only!

zTimothyBz

So what's the latest news?

My cellar

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:On the 8th only!

Well, I can make it on the 8th now.

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, I can make it on the 8th now.

Ok, with Sparky back in I think we're still verging on quorum. I'd like everybody on the maybe list to get into a camp (preferably the "yes" camp) by Monday midday. Then I'll finalize.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Ok, with Sparky back in I think we're still verging on quorum. I'd like everybody on the maybe list to get into a camp (preferably the "yes" camp) by Monday midday. Then I'll finalize.

Ok, move rjquillin outta the maybe list. Got some LA deliveries to make.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Ill talk to SWMBO and report back tomorrow. We're busy early in the day I know. Not sure about the evening.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Ill talk to SWMBO and report back tomorrow. We're busy early in the day I know. Not sure about the evening.

Well, just send her then. Because you know she's the only reason we tolerate you.

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, just send her then. Because you know she's the only reason we tolerate you.

Man, is that the truth! Still not sure, but I have 24 hours to report...

zTimothyBz

I'm still planning on being there.

My cellar

kylemittskus

Ok, I'm in. SWMBO is likely not.

I'm bringing 1999 Charles Ellner Champagne Brut "Seduction" Millésimé. I'll also bring anything anyone wants from my cellar. I can also bring some duck rillettes and a baguette. Eh?

My cellar.

Tyger, you comin'? I have wine and $$ for you. And Ron, you have my wine and tyger has your money for the CH.

Do we have a time set yet? Whatever time it is, tell Sparky it's an hour earlier.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Ok, I'm in. SWMBO is likely not.

I'm bringing 1999 Charles Ellner Champagne Brut "Seduction" Millésimé. I'll also bring anything anyone wants from my cellar. I can also bring some duck rillettes and a baguette. Eh?

My cellar.

Tyger, you comin'? I have wine and $$ for you. And Ron, you have my wine and tyger has your money for the CH.

Do we have a time set yet? Whatever time it is, tell Sparky it's an hour earlier.

Move me over to the "IN" column, SWMBO is likely, and Kyle yes I have wine for you and money for Ron and Ron I will get the wine I have for you shipped (if possible)..jeesh this is starting to sound like a buisness transaction not a housewarming party

For the party I will bring a NV Pehu Simonet Champagne Transparence Extra Brut, I think some nice bubbles would be appropriate and whatever the gracious hosts want me to bring from my cellar.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

Excellent! I'm going to look up the candle lighting times for Channukah and then decide on a start time. Check the first post in the next day or so.

Wine selections so far sound delicious, and since I know there's a couple Scotch folks coming we could dip into some of that as well. I'm going to get cooking on the latkes, too.

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:Excellent! I'm going to look up the candle lighting times for Channukah and then decide on a start time. Check the first post in the next day or so.

Wine selections so far sound delicious, and since I know there's a couple Scotch folks coming we could dip into some of that as well. I'm going to get cooking on the latkes, too.

Dude, we have to drive home.

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Dude, we have to drive home.

Ron is staying on the couch...there's also couch #2, thermarest, air mattress...

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:Ron is staying on the couch...there's also couch #2, thermarest, air mattress...

Need me or anyone to bring anything else? I'll bring a baguette, Duck Rillettes and Pâté with Black Pepper, Pork and Duck Pâté

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Need me or anyone to bring anything else? I'll bring a baguette, Duck Rillettes and Pâté with Black Pepper, Pork and Duck Pâté

Duck rillettes -> drool.
I'm happy for folks to bring snacks and/or other foodstuffs. We're going to make latkes and probably something else somewhat substantial.

We only have two decanters. If we're going to need more, somebody ought to bring them.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:Excellent! I'm going to look up the candle lighting times for Channukah and then decide on a start time. Check the first post in the next day or so.

I know I will bring that other bottle of Flowers Pinot you wanted to try...

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

Covered with wine glasses and such, though?

klezman

15+ regular wine glasses, plus more still packed, plus a dozen GoVinos. No stock of Champagne flutes to speak of, though. Maybe 2-4.

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:15+ regular wine glasses, plus more still packed, plus a dozen GoVinos. No stock of Champagne flutes to speak of, though. Maybe 2-4.

Good enough for me!

time2testit

Oh you all make it so hard! Turns out we are supposed to see a special screening of Zero Dark Thirty at 7:30 (sharp) that night (160 minutes plus a 20 minute panel) which puts us at 10:30 before we start on our way there (about 20 minutes away). So still trying to figure out if/how we can do both.

MarkDaSpark

time2testit wrote:Oh you all make it so hard! Turns out we are supposed to see a special screening of Zero Dark Thirty at 7:30 (sharp) that night (160 minutes plus a 20 minute panel) which puts us at 10:30 before we start on our way there (about 20 minutes away. So still trying to figure out if/how we can do both.

You go to the movie and send your precious to us.

time2testit

MarkDaSpark wrote:You go to the movie and send your precious to us.

Interesting your choice to call her my "precious" since we saw "The Hobbit" today and come to think of it Golem has a strange similarity to some wine obsessed computer guy we know.