WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Muscardini Cellars

With a name like Muscardini, your life choices are kind of limited. You can be a famous director, or a famous painter, or a famous winemaker. Sadly for the art world, Michael Muscardini chose the path of wine. But that's pretty darn great for us, right?
Muscardini Cellars official site

Facebook
Twitter

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

Muscardini Cellars

Muscardini Cellars 2010 Pinot Grigio 3-Pack
$49.99 (Normally $72.00) 31% off List Price
2010 Pinot Grigio, Santa Giordano Vineyards, Sonoma Valley

Muscardini Cellars Tesoro Proprietary Red Blend 2-Pack
$61.99 (Normally $92.00) 33% off List Price
2009 Tesoro Proprietary Red Blend, Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County

Muscardini Cellars 2008 Fortuna Red Blend 2-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $108.00) 35% off List Price
2008 Fortuna Red Blend, Monte Rosso Vineyards, Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County

Muscardini Cellars Two Blends + Sangiovese 3-Pack
$89.99 (Normally $136.00) 34% off List Price
2009 Tesoro Proprietary Red Blend, Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County
2009 Sangiovese, Monte Rosso Vineyards, Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County
2008 Fortuna Red Blend, Monte Rosso Vineyards, Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County

Previous offers:
3/16/11
6/2/10

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

Love the Muscardini Reds...especially the Fortuna & Tesoro. Just had a bottle of the 2008 Fortuna yesterday with some smoked ribs at a family gathering...Excellent! WE is "WAY OFF BASE" with their rating of 84. I would definitely rate this wine in the low 90's. Had a bottle of the 2008 Tesoro last weekend, which was also excellent. I would rate it about the same. Others who had some were impressed as well. Sorry WE...you are wrong this time!.

BTW...I bought 6 bottles of the 2008 Fortuna, which according to the website retails for $62 each, not $54 as indicated by Cesare and 2 bottles of the 2009 Tesoro to match the 2 bottles of 2008 Tesoro I have in the cellar

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

So tempting to go in for the sampler and AlexEli kosher PN. But I really don't need or have the room for more wine.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

winegirl

quality posts: 20 Private Messages winegirl

Good Afternoon from Muscardini Cellars! We are honored to be back on the woot in the Woot Plus slot. It is a gorgeous fall day here in the Sonoma Valley. Michael just finished picking his Pinot Grigio grapes this morning. Last week he bottled his 2011 vintage (close to 3000 cases).

It is a thrill to be able to offer what I consider 2 of our best blends. Our flagship Super Tuscan Tesoro and our "lucky" blend, Fortuna. The Sangiovese is a lovely wine that is the anchor of our Italian style winery.

The Pinot Grigio is our very first white wine.

We hope these selections will peak your interest. We are happy to answer any questions you may have and I will continue to post throughout the week.

Cheers, Winegirl

winegirl

bobrush12866 wrote:Love the Muscardini Reds...especially the Fortuna & Tesoro. Just had a bottle of the 2008 Fortuna yesterday with some smoked ribs at a family gathering...Excellent! WE is "WAY OFF BASE" with their rating of 84. I would definitely rate this wine in the low 90's. Had a bottle of the 2008 Tesoro last weekend, which was also excellent. I would rate it about the same. Others who had some were impressed as well. Sorry WE...you are wrong this time!.

BTW...I bought 6 bottles of the 2008 Fortuna, which according to the website retails for $62 each, not $54 as indicated by Cesare and 2 bottles of the 2009 Tesoro to match the 2 bottles of 2008 Tesoro I have in the cellar

The Fortuna with the smoked ribs sounds amazing. Just to clear up the pricing issue. We lowered the Fortuna to $54 in July in our tasting room for the summer and to help ease the price of our September wine club (Fortuna was a part of). At the end of this week the Fortuna will go back up to the website price and ther is talk that the Tesoro will be raised to $49.

bobrush12866

winegirl wrote:The Fortuna with the smoked ribs sounds amazing. Just to clear up the pricing issue. We lowered the Fortuna to $54 in July in our tasting room for the summer and to help ease the price of our September wine club (Fortuna was a part of). At the end of this week the Fortuna will go back up to the website price and ther is talk that the Tesoro will be raised to $49.

I may have to buy more of the Tesoro at this price before it goes up....Loved the 2008. How would you compare the 08 and 09 Tesoro. As an aside, everyone is missing the boat on these tremendous wines...BuyEm!

twelch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twelch

I was just at the Muscardini/Caton tasting room a few weeks ago. Fantastic wines. Last night I had a bottle of the Barbera and am excited to see these offerings. I told myself I wasn't going to buy any wine for a few weeks...oops.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

I have the Barbera Pauli Ranch 2009 and the Tesoro 2008... I haven't opened either... should I open the Tesoro? I am almost afraid I will really really like it....how is the 2008 compared to the 2009 that is being offered...

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
winegirl wrote:Good Afternoon from Muscardini Cellars! We are honored to be back on the woot in the Woot Plus slot. It is a gorgeous fall day here in the Sonoma Valley. Michael just finished picking his Pinot Grigio grapes this morning. Last week he bottled his 2011 vintage (close to 3000 cases).

It is a thrill to be able to offer what I consider 2 of our best blends. Our flagship Super Tuscan Tesoro and our "lucky" blend, Fortuna. The Sangiovese is a lovely wine that is the anchor of our Italian style winery.

The Pinot Grigio is our very first white wine.

We hope these selections will peak your interest. We are happy to answer any questions you may have and I will continue to post throughout the week.

Cheers, Winegirl

I just dumped two bottles of wine because they were bad. (Not Muscardini). And, I was just saying to myself, "I need to stop trying random bottles at stores and should just stick to stuff I *KNOW* is good!" And...I log in and see Muscardini. I'm in. Now...Which ones??? Hmmm...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

winegirl

Comparing the 08 and the 09 Tesoros

I asked Michael for his thoughts on comparing the 2 vintages and here's what he had to say:

"The 08 is more of a true super-tuscan with 44% Sangiovese, 30% Cab and 26% Syrah. The 09 tilts more towards perfection (95 pts from the California State Wine Competition) with 39% Sangio, 33% Cab and 26% Syrah. ...."

Wow dang, I left page 2 of my notes at the office. Will have to finish his quote in the morning.

A few more tidbits include:

1. the Sangiovese is from the world famous Monte Rosso Vineyard. A well known and respected vineyard.

2. the Syrah is from Deerfield Ranch Winery. A very reputable vineyard where the owners are not only concerned about the quality of their fruit but their carbon footprint as well.

3. the cab comes from Caton Vineyards - and I know that speaks for itself here on the woot.

winegirl

vaaccess wrote:I just dumped two bottles of wine because they were bad. (Not Muscardini). And, I was just saying to myself, "I need to stop trying random bottles at stores and should just stick to stuff I *KNOW* is good!" And...I log in and see Muscardini. I'm in. Now...Which ones??? Hmmm...

Good Evening Vac! It definitely is a tough choice. The sampler 3 pack will give you variety. Hmmmm.

winegirl

mommadeb1 wrote:I have the Barbera Pauli Ranch 2009 and the Tesoro 2008... I haven't opened either... should I open the Tesoro? I am almost afraid I will really really like it....how is the 2008 compared to the 2009 that is being offered...

Ohhh the Barbera. Always consistent through the vintages. Last year it was selected as one of 5 Barberas in the US to be sent to Italy for their Barbera festival. Did not have enough to offer it on the woot.

mommadeb1

winegirl wrote:Ohhh the Barbera. Always consistent through the vintages. Last year it was selected as one of 5 Barberas in the US to be sent to Italy for their Barbera festival. Did not have enough to offer it on the woot.

wow.... now I really don't want to open it yet....

vaaccess

mommadeb1 wrote:wow.... now I really don't want to open it yet....

Me too!!!

I ended up getting a couple of sets to have the variety...

Excited.

mommadeb1

vaaccess wrote:Me too!!!

I ended up getting a couple of sets to have the variety...

Excited.

I am trying to justify the cost......you know how it is ....... do the kids really need those supplies for school? ha ha ha ha!!

vaaccess

mommadeb1 wrote:I am trying to justify the cost......you know how it is ....... do the kids really need those supplies for school? ha ha ha ha!!

Here are my thoughts, for what it is worth. Muscardini is one of those winemakers I turn to when i want a solid wine that isn't as crazily priced as it COULD be. This is particularly true if you are a fan of Sangiovese/Chianti. Muscardini has that nailed.

The other wineries (in no particular order) I put into the category of consistently solid wines for a good value/price that I share with my closest wine-loving friends:
Gundlach Bundschu
Ty Caton
Wellington
Little Vineyards
Corison
Vino Noceto
Kent Rasmussen
Woot Cellars

mommadeb1

vaaccess wrote:Here are my thoughts, for what it is worth. Muscardini is one of those winemakers I turn to when i want a solid wine that isn't as crazily priced as it COULD be. This is particularly true if you are a fan of Sangiovese/Chianti. Muscardini has that nailed.

The other wineries (in no particular order) I put into the category of consistently solid wines for a good value/price that I share with my closest wine-loving friends:
Gundlach Bundschu
Ty Caton
Wellington
Little Vineyards
Corison
Vino Noceto
Kent Rasmussen
Woot Cellars

Thanks! I didn't work all summer, so trying to play catch up....so trying not to spend ...... but .... I do like some good wine!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
winegirl wrote:Good Evening Vac! It definitely is a tough choice. The sampler 3 pack will give you variety. Hmmmm.

Winegirl, I need some I can lay down for 5~10 years and not worry about. How would the sampler fit in?

CT

jeanpaulcart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeanpaulcart

Not pulling the trigger this time around because I've already got two bottles of the 2009 Tesoro after a particularly expensive trip to Sonoma. But even the 87 pts from WE is way off base. It was a great wine! And that means a lot considering I'd tried Ty Caton's Tytanium RIGHT before I tasted it (they share a tasting room). I don't recall the Fortuna (tried like 12 wines in a row), but I thought everything I tried justified its price point. They also had a really cool rose that is worth checking out if you get the chance.

winegirl

Well now this is fun. Selling side by side with Ty Caton Vineyards. Just like being back in the tasting room.

Another great day in Sonoma. The weather is a little cooler. Giants are in the playoffs and the NFL refs are back on the job. It's gonna take a lot of wine to get over Monday night's debacle (sp?)

I'm in the office with Beni the winedog. He is actually featured in Sonoma Magazine this quarter and in in a book called Winery Dogs, that was just released. I'm a little jealous at all the attention he is getting.

Wishing everyone a great Thursday!

winegirl

rjquillin wrote:Winegirl, I need some I can lay down for 5~10 years and not worry about. How would the sampler fit in?

I think the sampler would be perfect. The Tesoro and Fortuna will age nicely. Not sure I would let the Sangio sleep for that long. Maybe 5 at the most. But the good thing about the sampler is that you can enjoy the Sangio now while the others rest. We have 10 bottles of 05 Tesoro and it rocks. Michael brought it back to Franco Biondi Santi in Italy last year and he gave it his highest praise.

winegirl

jeanpaulcart wrote:Not pulling the trigger this time around because I've already got two bottles of the 2009 Tesoro after a particularly expensive trip to Sonoma. But even the 87 pts from WE is way off base. It was a great wine! And that means a lot considering I'd tried Ty Caton's Tytanium RIGHT before I tasted it (they share a tasting room). I don't recall the Fortuna (tried like 12 wines in a row), but I thought everything I tried justified its price point. They also had a really cool rose that is worth checking out if you get the chance.

The Tytanium is truly a tough act to follow. But I have heard Ty rave about the 09 Tesoro.

There is so much red wine to try at our tasting room. It can become overwhelming.

And the Rosato is awesome. It did receive 95 pts from WE. Running low on that as well so were unable to put it on the woot. Probably will be out of it by Thanksgiving.

Thanks for stopping by our tasting room. Hope you enjoyed your trip out.

winegirl

mommadeb1 wrote:I am trying to justify the cost......you know how it is ....... do the kids really need those supplies for school? ha ha ha ha!!

I know what you mean mommadeb. I am sure the kids really don't need all those supplies for school. But that doesn't apply here, we absolutely need our wine!!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

winegirl wrote:
Another great day in Sonoma. The weather is a little cooler. Giants are in the playoffs and the NFL refs are back on the job.

life is pretty darn good.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

winegirl

Beni the Winedog

http://www.sonomanews.com/Sonoma-Magazine/Fall-2012/Wine-Dogs/

I stink at this. Will keep trying to post a pic

[mod: tried to fix it for you but it appears to get hung up on the brackets part]

ok - i just posted the link. Beni the rockstar in the 3rd puppy down. But all the puppies are cute to look at.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
winegirl wrote:Beni the Winedog

[mod: tried to fix it for you but it appears to get hung up on the brackets part]

ok - i just posted the link. Beni the rockstar in the 3rd puppy down. But all the puppies are cute to look at.

Anytime puppies are brought to the thread, it is a good day. Thank you for sharing them with us!

I'm just hanging out, really.

bobrush12866

Beni is the coolest...Will have to come and visit him someday!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

CT

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

rjquillin wrote:snip

that's one photogenic pooch!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

mommadeb1

winegirl wrote:I know what you mean mommadeb. I am sure the kids really don't need all those supplies for school. But that doesn't apply here, we absolutely need our wine!!

I agree!! mommies little helper!!

kimrowell

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kimrowell

So happy to see this! I was in the tasting room a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with Beni. He stood next to me and just leaned against me while I petted him. Such a sweetheart!

And the wine was pretty good, too ;)

winegirl

kimrowell wrote:So happy to see this! I was in the tasting room a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with Beni. He stood next to me and just leaned against me while I petted him. Such a sweetheart!

And the wine was pretty good, too ;)

Yes, he's irresistable when he does that. We call him a therapy dog but all the therapy is for him.

winegirl

It's been a wonderful week and it has been our absolute pleasure to be on Woot Plus and to be able to debut some different selections.

For those of you who click on the big gold button, we hope you enjoy the wine.

Oh and please do visit Muscardini Cellars in our New Tasting Room. We move in after the first of the year and are really excited about this new change.

Michael and I (and Beni too) will actually have our new offices at the tasting room. So do mention that you are a wooter and we will come out to offer our personal services (hmmm that sounds a little....) and make it worth your while.

Wishing everyone a fantastic weekend!!!

Cheers, Winegirl

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
winegirl wrote:Wishing everyone a fantastic weekend!!!

Have a great weekend, and as always, thank you for stopping in!

I'm just hanging out, really.

bobrush12866

winegirl wrote:It's been a wonderful week and it has been our absolute pleasure to be on Woot Plus and to be able to debut some different selections.

For those of you who click on the big gold button, we hope you enjoy the wine.

Oh and please do visit Muscardini Cellars in our New Tasting Room. We move in after the first of the year and are really excited about this new change.

Michael and I (and Beni too) will actually have our new offices at the tasting room. So do mention that you are a wooter and we will come out to offer our personal services (hmmm that sounds a little....) and make it worth your while.

Wishing everyone a fantastic weekend!!!

Cheers, Winegirl

Winegirl...Clicked big time on your wines...wound up getting 6 of each...Fortuna and Tesoro...Love your REDs