MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away, folks!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 23rd.

September
9/29: NoVA/DC #27: Favorite Wines by the Pool
9/29: NorCal Adventure to Wine Country

October
10/20: Detroit #12: The Last Hurrah
TBD:NorCal #13: Pre-1997 Wines

November
TBD: Austin #1
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: Minnesota #?

Pending
TBD: Chicago #?
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Edit:

jmdavidson wrote:I am making a second attempt at a get together for Chicago. So, please add to the event calendar, Chicago Get Together, Friday, October 12th, 7pm. Thanks.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Ok, a soup poll is the best they can do????

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

x-post:

InFrom wrote:I'm finding on my laptop this weekend that there's this weird, recurring image of what looks like a car crossed with a pumpkin. Can't get rid of it, can't figure it out...

ps nice wheels, HAK!

I have already dubbed it the Pimpkin.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Ok, a soup poll is the best they can do????

IFTFY

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:x-post:

I have already dubbed it the Pimpkin.

Not the "Faux-Tan-Van"?

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:IFTFY

Thank you. It was late, and I was sweepy!

MarkDaSpark

And finally got Last Wooter again! On the Centon 64GB SDXC Flash Card under the Sellout Plus deals. It's been a while, especially since the troubles began.

Last Wooter to Woot: MarkDaSpark

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

BTW, Mark
I may renew my vows next year and invite you if you have 1 more jeroboam of the IH wedding cuvee lying around.

That's an awesome gift, good job.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:BTW, Mark
I may renew my vows next year and invite you if you have 1 more jeroboam of the IH wedding cuvee lying around.

That's an awesome gift, good job.

Sorry, no. But I'm sure I can find some Woot Cellars Reboot.

Thanks! Although I guess I should have gotten one for myself too. But then it isn't PS (which the other 3 are!).

MarkDaSpark

Dang, this looks great!

Slow Cooker Italian Beef and Tomato Stew

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
MarkDaSpark wrote:Dang, this looks great!

Yes it does, bookmarking that for a much colder day than today.

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
inkycatz wrote:Yes it does, bookmarking that for a much colder day than today.

Must be cold enough here, I left for work this morning with an iced-over windshield.

With that being said, I'm not a huge fan of stewed tomatoes, so I would likely replace those with some potatoes and some sort of semi-acid veggie (to replace the acid in the tomatoes), maybe some roasted red-peppers, etc, you get the idea. Also by adding the potatoes you can probably eliminate or at least reduce the cornstarch.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

We're doing Chianti marinated beef stew tonight. It's not cold here, but I don't care.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Dinner tonight at Petrus. A Gordon Ramsey restaurant. Top notch service. A wine list to die for. We went low end, about $120. Japanese business men at the next table were killing me. Got taken to the kitchen after dinner. Wonderful.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Big thanks to Nurse Laura for the staples gift card! My students thank you even more! On another note, I'm glad Chicago has reached an agreement of sorts

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

Since some people stay away from the deals thread, thought I'd ask here. Anybody in SoCal interested in a few bottles of BV Georges de Latour 99? It'll be about $75 per bottle probably plus tax.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
polarbear22 wrote:Dinner tonight at Petrus. A Gordon Ramsey restaurant. Top notch service. A wine list to die for. We went low end, about $120. Japanese business men at the next table were killing me. Got taken to the kitchen after dinner. Wonderful.

sounds awesome!!!

mommadeb1

any thoughts on the woot plus muscardini? I have the Tesoro 2008, I haven't opened it yet, but now I see it on woot plus.... do I open it now and see if I like the style? or do I let it age a bit more?

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
polarbear22 wrote:Dinner tonight at Petrus. A Gordon Ramsey restaurant. Top notch service. A wine list to die for. We went low end, about $120. Japanese business men at the next table were killing me. Got taken to the kitchen after dinner. Wonderful.

Sounds wonderful!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

Started an interest thread for SoCal #22. Chime in and let's get something on the calendar.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Started an interest thread for SoCal #22. Chime in and let's get something on the calendar.

It will probably end up #23, since Tim and I will probably host one in between at our locker in Irvine.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I got to help crush a barrel’s worth of merlot last night with the family of one of my co-workers. The fruit looked great. Clean, minimal raisining, no noticeable rot. The juice was showing 25 brix, 3.4-3.5 pH 0.6% TA. It’s now resting in its fermenting tanks cold soaking. I’m betting this stuff will be absolutely fantastic when it finishes in a couple years.

The one thing I found slightly alarming about the process was the bugs. I pulled at least 10 earwigs out of the sorting tray and spiders too but knowing how the process works, we couldn’t have gotten all of them. I can’t see it being any different at any other winery so I guess this is where some of those spice notes come from :-)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Keep seeing Wellington everywhere over here. Today even an arch and a statue. But not his wine. Should be a great market. Especially at The Wellington pub.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Help!!! Does anybody have the pedroncelli cupcake recipe? I'm planning on making it for this weekend and I can't find it!

MarkDaSpark

CAGrl wrote:Help!!! Does anybody have the pedroncelli cupcake recipe? I'm planning on making it for this weekend and I can't find it!

I was going to point you to Itwdswafo's post in the RPM Tour thread, but it appears they took the recipe down on the Pedroncelli site.

But I found a cached copy of it ...

Pedroncelli Port & Chocolate Chiffon Mini Cupcakes

Yield about 36 - 2” cupcakes.

By Maureen Davison

Note: This is an adaptation of Tartin Bakery’s Chocolate Chiffon Cake

Cupcakes
Ingredients:

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Sift: ½ cup + 6 Tbl. all-purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa, unsweetened

Mix in: ¾ cup granulated sugar
1tsp. baking powder
3/8 tsp salt

Mix in: ¼ cup melted unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup J. Pedroncelli Port

Beat to soft peaks: 5 egg whites (2/3 cup)
Pinch crème tartar
2 Tbl. sugar

Fold into flour-egg mixture.

Preparation:
Pour into paper-lined mini muffin/cupcake pans and bake about 15 min or until springs back when touched.
Remove from oven & cool.

Port Ganache Frosting
Ingredients:

Reduce to 2 tablespoons: 1 cup J. Pedroncelli Port

Melt over bain marie (water bath): 6 oz. semi sweet chocolate
Stir to combine. ½ cup heavy cream
2 Tbl. Pedroncelli Port

Add: 2 Tbl reduced port

Preparation:
Let cool until spreading or piping consistency. Then decorate away.

Serve With: Port

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
MarkDaSpark wrote:I was going to point you to Itwdswafo's post in the RPM Tour thread, but it appears they took the recipe down on the Pedroncelli site.

But I found a cached copy of it ...

Thanks! You and ajrod saved me. Now to see if I have the time to make this Friday/Saturday morning.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to HaK & Aces!!

Happy Birthday to HaK & Aces!!!

Add for women:

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

It was the 25th anniversary of The Princess Bride Yesterday!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
tommythecat78 wrote:It was the 25th anniversary of The Princess Bride Yesterday!

Awesome, and I'm wearing the shirt.woot princess bride shirt today. How perfect!

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:It was the 25th anniversary of The Princess Bride Yesterday!

Inconceivable!

mommadeb1

Dang!!! I'm old, I remember when that came out...!!!!

mommadeb1

Happy Birthday HAK!!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mommadeb1 wrote:Happy Birthday HAK!!

Thanks all! Tonight I enjoyed some '05 Twisted Oak Murgatroyd to go along with one of my favorite meals....kielbasa & veggies over noodles. It was all super yummy. Polished off about half the bottle or so.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Thanks all! Tonight I enjoyed some '05 Twisted Oak Murgatroyd to go along with one of my favorite meals....kielbasa & veggies over noodles. It was all super yummy. Polished off about half the bottle or so.

Don't be an under-achiever. I'm rooting for you to finish off the rest. Happy birthday!

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
North316 wrote:Must be cold enough here, I left for work this morning with an iced-over windshield.

With that being said, I'm not a huge fan of stewed tomatoes, so I would likely replace those with some potatoes and some sort of semi-acid veggie (to replace the acid in the tomatoes), maybe some roasted red-peppers, etc, you get the idea. Also by adding the potatoes you can probably eliminate or at least reduce the cornstarch.

How far north are you?? Thats chilly!

edthebedhead

chemvictim wrote:We're doing Chianti marinated beef stew tonight. It's not cold here, but I don't care.

I bought 1/4 of a cow today. I guess I can make beef stew too!

edthebedhead

mommadeb1 wrote:sounds awesome!!!

Yeah, that isn't just eating, that is fine dining.

edthebedhead

cmaldoon wrote:I got to help crush a barrel’s worth of merlot last night with the family of one of my co-workers. The fruit looked great. Clean, minimal raisining, no noticeable rot. The juice was showing 25 brix, 3.4-3.5 pH 0.6% TA. It’s now resting in its fermenting tanks cold soaking. I’m betting this stuff will be absolutely fantastic when it finishes in a couple years.

The one thing I found slightly alarming about the process was the bugs. I pulled at least 10 earwigs out of the sorting tray and spiders too but knowing how the process works, we couldn’t have gotten all of them. I can’t see it being any different at any other winery so I guess this is where some of those spice notes come from :-)

A coworker of mine picked up 8 boxes of grapes at lunch yesterday. I asked him how he did it. "I crush them, put them in a barrel, and let them ferment for a week."

No measurement, nothing technical. Different approach. I've never tried his juice.

edthebedhead

mommadeb1 wrote:Happy Birthday HAK!!

2nd'ed