WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Sweet Dreams

Oi! You in the back! Stop stirring up this ballroom! This party's supposed to be a peaceful wine tasting for tasty dessert wines, not some kind of… of… oh, what's the word? For when everyone does something really fast and all together? Blintz? No, no, that's some kind of apple pancake, I think. Although that would taste really good with something sweet.

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1562 Private Messages Cesare

Sweet Dreams

Clos LaChance 2007 Late Harvest Semillon – Nectar 375ml 6-Pack
$49.99 (Normally $60.00) 17% off List Price
2007 Late Harvest Semillon - Nectar 375ml
Previous offer: 7/23/12 (Plus)

Used Automobile Parts 2005 Dessert Wine 375ml 3-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $135.00) 44% off List Price
2005 Used Automobile Parts Dessert Wine 375ml
Previous offer: 7/27/12

Emblem 2009 Monterey County Sweet White Wine 4-Pack
$39.99 (Normally $80.00) 50% off List Price
2009 Emblem Monterey County Sweet White Wine 750ml
Previous offer: 8/27/12

Nicolaysen Family Vineyards Pinot Blanc Mini-Vertical 2-Pack
$49.99 (Normally $100.00) 35% off List Price
2002 Nicolaysen Family Vineyards Late Harvest Pinot Blanc, Bien Nacido Vineyard 375ml
2003 Nicolaysen Family Vineyards Late Harvest Pinot Blanc, Bien Nacido Vineyard 375ml
Previous offer: 6/24/12

Stein Magic Hour White Moscato Rosato 6-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $120.00) 33% off List Price
NV Stein Family "Magic Hour" Moscato 750ml
Previous offer: 7/30/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Anyone who previously purchased the Nectar or the Emblem Sweet White have any notes yet?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I saw the used auto parts and was gonna buy, until I realized these were little dessert wines :/

Neal K Bharadwaj

burns72

quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72

Oh boy. I was excited that no dessert wine showed up in the woot-off. Looks like I will be spending that small reserve of cash now.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

The Nicolaysen and the Auto Parts are both fabulous.

The Nicolaysen is a raisin honey filled joy to end the evening while the Auto Parts is one of the best Ports I have had.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Please note price change on Nicolaysen Vineyards. 2 pack for $49.99.

aged late-harvest Bien Nacido Pinot Blanc. This stuff is nectar; and at this new price? a Sweet deal...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:Anyone who previously purchased the Nectar or the Emblem Sweet White have any notes yet?

Worth the $10/btl. Blow your mind? No way. Compare to some $30-$35 late harvest whites? Definitely.

My brief CT note: "8/25/2012 rated 86 points: Pretty basic dessert wine. Apricot, some interesting spice, pretty low acid level. However, touching a dessert wine @ $9 is impossible. For the price, really nice wine."

Edit: this is the nectar.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
neilfindswine wrote:Please note price change on Nicolaysen Vineyards. 2 pack for $49.99.

aged late-harvest Bien Nacido Pinot Blanc. This stuff is nectar; and at this new price? a Sweet deal...

This is an INCREDIBLE deal right here. at $65 is was a great deal that made me go in for 2 woots when it was offered on 24 Jun.

At $50 it is a real steal. The 02 is steller and has a raisin taste that I have never had before. It is very rich. I wish I had had the room to store another set of these. I will have to seriously consider this.

My wife is leaving for Europe soon and is bring me back some high acidic Italian wines so every purchase has to be thought through very hard.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

It appears that the Nicolaysen is from the same vineyard and varietal that brought us Shadow Canyon Cellars Paeonia which I thoroughly enjoyed. They were up on woot 2 or 3 times in 2010/2011

Has anyone tried both? Comparisons?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

TheEndless

quality posts: 14 Private Messages TheEndless
North316 wrote:Anyone who previously purchased the Nectar or the Emblem Sweet White have any notes yet?

I'm actually enjoying a bottle of the Emblem Sweet White as I type this. I'm afraid neither my palate, nor my vocabulary, are educated enough to give valid notes, but I can say that I'm enjoying it enough that I'm strongly considering picking up some more, even though I have 7 bottles left. It's a little sweeter than I typically like, but I'd say it's one of the nicer wines I've had recently. If it helps, I'm a big fan of the 2007 Radog Riesling Santa Lucia Highlands, and while this one is slightly sweeter, I'd rank it right there with it.

TheEndless

equuslover

quality posts: 1 Private Messages equuslover

Aw, the Used Automobile Parts won't ship to my state.

I'm glad to see the Nicolaysen here again. I passed it up last time due to the price, and regretted it. The price drop is just what I needed to justify it.

I purchased the Semillon Nectar when it was offered on Plus before. Nice apricot nose. Good body. Light honey color. Apricot, almost pineapple flavors.
I've had better, but not for this price.

UncleFluffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages UncleFluffy

The nectar?

Tasty. Not particularly complex. Worth the money.

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:It appears that the Nicolaysen is from the same vineyard and varietal that brought us Shadow Canyon Cellars Paeonia which I thoroughly enjoyed. They were up on woot 2 or 3 times in 2010/2011

Has anyone tried both? Comparisons?

That Shadow Canyon was quite tasty, still hoarding one of 'em. Gonna have to pounce on this, now that we've had a price adjustment.

CT

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
rjquillin wrote:That Shadow Canyon was quite tasty, still hoarding one of 'em. Gonna have to pounce on this, now that we've had a price adjustment.

I think I still have 2 of those Shadow Canyons stashed around here somewhere. It was soooo yummy with some good parmigiano reggiano....

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff
bkarlan wrote:This is an INCREDIBLE deal right here. at $65 is was a great deal that made me go in for 2 woots when it was offered on 24 Jun.

At $50 it is a real steal. The 02 is steller and has a raisin taste that I have never had before. It is very rich. I wish I had had the room to store another set of these. I will have to seriously consider this.

My wife is leaving for Europe soon and is bring me back some high acidic Italian wines so every purchase has to be thought through very hard.

I could come over and drink some of your bottles to make room for these.

(Always trying to help, yup, that's me!)

rjquillin

ChipGreen; pull an Emblem cork and talk to us...

While I still have 'free' shipping.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

I don't remember if we sold through the vinito del finito from last year? If not put some of that up for sale.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:I don't remember if we sold through the vinito del finito from last year? If not put some of that up for sale.

I have a bottle for you if you want that with part $$. I'm fine either way.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:ChipGreen; pull an Emblem cork and talk to us...

While I still have 'free' shipping.

As a fellow member of the exclusive 44 Quality Post club, I feel obliged to honor your request.

Chilled, p&p. Nice light gold color. Nose of melons & stone fruits, maybe a little honeysuckle. Lots of fruit on the palate... apricot, peach, cantaloupe, pear, mango. Some honey and just a touch of spice with good acidity on the finish. I am probably less sensitive to sweetness than others because I have a sweet tooth but this wine seems more fruity than sweet to me (although it is both).

As expected, another great QPR wine from Michael Mondavi. He should step out of the shadows and take his rightful place as one of wine.woot's favorite sons. Or nephews. Whatever.

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Chilled, p&p. Nice light gold color. Nose of melons & stone fruits, maybe a little honeysuckle. Lots of fruit on the palate... apricot, peach, cantaloupe, pear, mango. Some honey and just a touch of spice with good acidity on the finish. I am probably less sensitive to sweetness than others because I have a sweet tooth but this wine seems more fruity than sweet to me (although it is both).

Must - stop - buying

and drink more. Thanks for the rat. Another expensive weekend.

CT

rjquillin

UncleFluffy wrote:The nectar?

Tasty. Not particularly complex. Worth the money.

Had one open, but capped in Ar, I'd forgotten about. Brilliant golden color, some stone fruit and melon? on the nose, light on the tongue but coats the mouth well if a bit light in acidity, medium finish I'm lacking words to describe.

SWMBO approved; swooped right in and snagged my glass. Had to pour another.

If you at all like lighter desert wine at all, for under $8 this is about as close to a no-brainer you can get.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Must - stop - buying

and drink more. Thanks for the rat. Another expensive weekend.

My pleasure. I am resisting the Swami since he arrived without his pal Rockus Bockus but taking advantage of the reduced price on a couple sets of the Nicolaysen before it's gone in a few hours.

dragonk8487

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonk8487
nealkb wrote:I saw the used auto parts and was gonna buy, until I realized these were little dessert wines :/

These little dessert wines were spectacular! Perfect for Valentines Day and you missed out! Not to mention the bottles can be recycled and make very nice lantern style candle hangers with the gold lettered labeling on the bottles. Trying to find more.

rjquillin

dragonk8487 wrote:These little dessert wines were spectacular! Perfect for Valentines Day and you missed out! Not to mention the bottles can be recycled and make very nice lantern style candle hangers with the gold lettered labeling on the bottles. Trying to find more.

.. and this post made me look to see if they were up again. fail.

CT