• 4.9% - Natural Light 51
  • 23% - Pabst Blue Ribbon 240
  • 0.3% - Stag 3
  • 14% - Miller High Life 146
  • 4.1% - Schlitz 43
  • 45% - Ew, ew, ew, none of the above. 469
  • 5.8% - Other (specify in the comments) 60
1042 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Quality Posts

schrep97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schrep97

genny cream ale. hands down best cheap beer out there

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

Miller Light isn't entirely undrinkable. Coors Light is water, so it doesn't count.

edlada

quality posts: 3 Private Messages edlada
schrep97 wrote:genny cream ale. hands down best cheap beer out there

Wow, Genny Cream, THAT brought back some memories! Well, vague memories anyway.

That was in the day where the pull tab came off the can completely. My friend saved the tabs, put them together by hooking the tab through the ring of the next one and there was a chain of these going back and forth across his basement ceiling at least two and one half times. I think the tabs were all from Genny Cream Ale.

My dogs like me, that is important.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

The Champagne of Beers seems perfectly fit for the place in which this poll rests.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tastesawesome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tastesawesome

Lone Star...the national beer of Texas!

chipgreen

quality posts: 180 Private Messages chipgreen
edlada wrote:Wow, Genny Cream, THAT brought back some memories! Well, vague memories anyway.

That was in the day where the pull tab came off the can completely. My friend saved the tabs, put them together by hooking the tab through the ring of the next one and there was a chain of these going back and forth across his basement ceiling at least two and one half times. I think the tabs were all from Genny Cream Ale.

I wonder how many times he cut his fingers doing that? I used to drink some Genny Cream back in the day... and some Little Kings... and some Miller High Life.

Worst cheap beer I ever had was Old Dutch. It was "bottom of the barrel" Iron City and it smelled rancid.

swantner

quality posts: 2 Private Messages swantner

I don't drink beer.

onestinkyfish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages onestinkyfish

Ditto

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Life is too short to drink cheap wi... er... beer.

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA
swantner wrote:I don't drink beer.

Me either.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Growing up in Rochester, there was no getting away from Genny Cream. And there wasn't any need to - it was light years ahead of Old Dutch and Rheingold and the other cheap brews available.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

There was a time (~late '60s early 70's in my experience, not since) when "fire brewed" Stroh's was a very decent cheap bear.

Interesting cheap beer note: in the Army in the 1970s, there was a remarkably persistent divide concerning beer: the NCO ( = noncomissioned officers: E-4 through E-9) and 123 (junior enlisted: E-1 through E-3) clubs all served Pabst Blue Ribbon while the officers' clubs served Budweiser. Go to any private gathering of soldiers and the enlisted men would have Pabst, and maybe Coors (if within the distribution range) and the officers would have Bud or Heineken. Even when we mixed them all up in big tubs with ice, the troops would reflexively take Pabst and the officers Bud.

Wine was both more and less problematic: most enlisted men either did not drink wine at all or drank such potions as Night Train, MD20/20, Thunderbird, or fruit concoctions like Annie Green Springs. Most officers drank plebian wine if at all, except German wines, where many had surprisingly good knowledge and cellars from having spent time stationed in Germany.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

bud light lime...

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

Yuengling.

bigj78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigj78

Old Style - the offical beer of the Chicago Cubs...lol

Oh! and Mickey's Malt liqueur - Did some one say 40!

Both where my college past times

lionheartsails

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lionheartsails

Milwaukee's Worst (Best) and
Schaefer Beer (America's oldest lager beer)

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea

I have fond (and fuzzy) memories of Busch beer. I still remember when they finally sold it in California about a year after I moved out here. This was a time before the craft brews started gaining prominence (Anchor and Sam Adams was all that was readily available) and I was poor.

Living in Philadelphia for years, I will always enjoy a Yeungling as well.

bblhed

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bblhed

Budweiser

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

My order:

Rainier
Pabst
Olympia

All great fav's from the college days.

voodoo29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voodoo29

Tecate

--VooDoo

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
sdwindansea wrote:I have fond (and fuzzy) memories of Busch beer.

Me too. From last weekend.

wickedd365

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wickedd365

Big Flats
A super cheap beer Walgreen's sells and it's actually not bad at all. Enjoyable.

Also Lone Star. It's a strong tasting beer but not too bad.

vwjay51378

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwjay51378

Straub, Camo, Silver Thunder, Genesee Cream Ale, Lions Head, or for the true connoisseur Natty Bo!

takey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages takey

What about old style or blatz.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

How much does a 6 pack of PBR go for these days anyways? I have never liked the stuff, and really don't understand the hipster-cred it has gotten over the years.

I do like Bud Light for tailgating purposes on a hot day. I guess that goes for.... around 75 cents a can or so? Trader Joes' Simpler Times beer is had for around 67 cents a can, and is still roughly palatable.

josial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josial
sdwindansea wrote:I have fond (and fuzzy) memories of Busch beer. I still remember when they finally sold it in California about a year after I moved out here. This was a time before the craft brews started gaining prominence (Anchor and Sam Adams was all that was readily available) and I was poor.

Living in Philadelphia for years, I will always enjoy a Yeungling as well.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and agree Yeungling is as good a cheap beer as you can get. Nothing really like it in California (Anchor or Sierra are a good bit more expensive).

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Olympia...i lived within walking distance to the brewery in Tumwater when i was 20, drank that stuff like water...wait it was the water.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

chipgreen

rpm wrote:There was a time (~late '60s early 70's in my experience, not since) when "fire brewed" Stroh's was a very decent cheap bear.

A guy I landscaped for when I was 17 (late 70s) had a customer who drove a Stroh's truck and paid in beer. We used to drink Stroh's everyday after work, our boss's garage was filled with it. I guess all those cases must have just "fallen off the truck".

chipgreen

bigj78 wrote:Old Style - the offical beer of the Chicago Cubs...lol

Oh! and Mickey's Malt liqueur - Did some one say 40!

Both where my college past times

Used to drink the 12 oz Mickey's "Big Mouth".

chipgreen

takey wrote:What about old style or blatz.

First time I ever got drunk from beer was on Blatz. I got pretty ripped from 3 cans and it was also my first ever concert, Three Dog Night. I was 12 years old. Good times, good times....

EDIT: They recently brought back some of the old beers like Blatz and Schlitz although I doubt they're the same as before. I saw them being sold at MLB games at a "Beers of your father" stand or some similar name.

EDITx2: When my father and the neighbors got together for summer parties in the late 60s/early 70s they all drank Black Label beer. Fast forward to my teenage years and we used to drive down to Cleveland's Little Italy and buy beer from card-playing, Black Label drinkin' Mafioso types in a little bar behind a restaurant for double the retail price.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 198 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

rpm wrote:There was a time (~late '60s early 70's in my experience, not since) when "fire brewed" Stroh's was a very decent cheap bear.

Interesting cheap beer note: in the Army in the 1970s, there was a remarkably persistent divide concerning beer: the NCO ( = noncomissioned officers: E-4 through E-9) and 123 (junior enlisted: E-1 through E-3) clubs all served Pabst Blue Ribbon while the officers' clubs served Budweiser. Go to any private gathering of soldiers and the enlisted men would have Pabst, and maybe Coors (if within the distribution range) and the officers would have Bud or Heineken. Even when we mixed them all up in big tubs with ice, the troops would reflexively take Pabst and the officers Bud.

Wine was both more and less problematic: most enlisted men either did not drink wine at all or drank such potions as Night Train, MD20/20, Thunderbird, or fruit concoctions like Annie Green Springs. Most officers drank plebian wine if at all, except German wines, where many had surprisingly good knowledge and cellars from having spent time stationed in Germany.

very cool insight. will send to my Airforce Colonel father in law and see if this worked across establishments.

nurse5656

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nurse5656

They don't make it anymore, but Rainer beer.

phonedog365

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phonedog365

Should differentiate between cheap as in inexpensive and cheap as in low, quality swill that does the job. For the record I'm offended Old Style isn't on the list.

chipgreen

How about some Olde Frothingslosh? The self-described "Pale Stale Ale".

jcolli18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcolli18

I have tried Stroh's, and it's pretty good. You can still find it in certain areas, but it's not easy.

JimBob1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JimBob1

I still enjoy Hamm's, the beer refreshing. Have a few left in the frig, but will soon need to cross several state lines to restock.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

South Paw Light. Was able to get a pitcher in college for $4.25

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

Strohs... Good Detroit beer
Mabel.. Hand me a can of ole black label

silver4269

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silver4269

Quite a few of those actually, and I'm currently drinking the Flanders Fred from De Prouf/Hair of the Dog collaboration. Plus I'm a homebrewer with 5 taps and a walk in cooler. The problem is you are missing your audience Woot! These questions are not general enough. I would have answered Henry Weinhard's if it was an option, because of the PNW roots. But the macros only? If someone drinks one they will drink the others. Except Hipsters, they stick with PBR. (HEY, HIPSTERS! Guess what... the recipe went back to crap a couple years ago, it tastes bad again)
Oh yeah, I'm the guy that keeps asking for BEER.WOOT.COM. get on it. If you need a purchasing agent just let me know.