WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

White Oak Cabernet Vertical (4)

Speed to First Woot:
0m 14.559s
First Sucker:
mill
Last Wooter to Woot:
ashishnm
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 47% of Wine Woots
Bottom 40% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 32% of Wine Woots
Top 37% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 9% first woot
  • 7% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 17% < 25 woots
  • 40% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 5% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 20% one year old
  • 72% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 78% bought 1
  • 14% bought 2
  • 8% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

6%
3%
2%
1%
2%
5%
6%
8%
10%
10%
8%
5%
6%
4%
3%
5%
4%
2%
1%
2%
1%
2%
2%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1563 Private Messages Cesare

White Oak Napa Valley Cabernet Vertical 4-Pack
$62.99 (Normally $120.00) 48% off List Price
2003 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 25th Anniversary Bottling
2005 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
2006 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offers:
8/28/12
3/12/12
3/7/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Mid aged cab. I am intrigued.

Are these made in a lush and fruity style or in an acidic rustic style or something else?

I've seen the 2006 bottles up here for ~$10. What makes these worth $17 on average?

How are the '03s holding up? How much life is in the 05? Which is someone's favorite and why?

Do we have a winemaker here? I need answers. ANSWERS people!!!!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bsevern


quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bsevern wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...



Exactly. If we both decide to the positive, lets split shipping

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
cmaldoon wrote:Mid aged cab. I am intrigued.

Are these made in a lush and fruity style or in an acidic rustic style or something else?

I've seen the 2006 bottles up here for ~$10. What makes these worth $17 on average?

How are the '03s holding up? How much life is in the 05? Which is someone's favorite and why?

Do we have a winemaker here? I need answers. ANSWERS people!!!!



My take, reading between the lines of the description, is that these are less Corison-like and more toward the more common Napa style. Plenty of new oak, black fruits, "ripe" tannin (whatever that means), and the "juicy" adjective all hint to me that these are not the restrained rpm-style wines you may be seeking. Something closer, style-wise, to a TyC perhaps?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's my reading nonetheless.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:My take, reading between the lines of the description, is that these are less Corison-like and more toward the more common Napa style. Plenty of new oak, black fruits, "ripe" tannin (whatever that means), and the "juicy" adjective all hint to me that these are not the restrained rpm-style wines you may be seeking. Something closer, style-wise, to a TyC perhaps?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's my reading nonetheless.



Robin: Holy oaky tannins, Batman!
Batman: Get out the Bat-Decanter!

POP! SPLASH! Glug-Glug-Glug

Robin: Now what?
Batman: Now....... we wait.

zzredwing


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zzredwing

I thought White Oak cabs were always 100% cab...or am I imagining things?

NascarDad


quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

This looks good. I wish the signature delivery thing wasnt such a pain in the butt at the present time , my wife has been out of town for over a month with a sick sister so there isnt anyone to sign for it at home during the day.

krobart


quality posts: 0 Private Messages krobart
NascarDad wrote:This looks good. I wish the signature delivery thing wasnt such a pain in the butt at the present time , my wife has been out of town for over a month with a sick sister so there isnt anyone to sign for it at home during the day.



Track via FedEx and route the shipment to your nearest FedEx facility. I do this all the time and pick up the wine after work.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
krobart wrote:Track via FedEx and route the shipment to your nearest FedEx facility. I do this all the time and pick up the wine after work.



Or just list the local fed ex office as the shipping address, much easier then tracking it daily.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

North316 wrote:Or just list the local fed ex office as the shipping address, much easier then tracking it daily.

I finally figured this trick out. Makes life much easier!



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Such accolades. Now, does vertical refer to a collection of wines from different years ?

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:I finally figured this trick out. Makes life much easier!

This is, for me, absolutely the best thing, for WINE, I ever did, until...

Amazon got hold of woot.
Woot and Amazon ~don't talk~ shipping with one another, at all!

They don't frequently ship FedEx and there is absolutely NO way to know HOW something will ship. Lost items (non wine) from the previous woot-off because of this, never to be delivered (UPS), delivered by smartpost (to FedEx) and yet a third that somehow was delivered to my residence (Wave The Flag!) HTH did they get that address when it was ordered with the FedEx address?

Conclusion:
Wine, to FedEx
Everything else, use a delivery different address.

So, how are the earlier vintages, as cmaldoon has asked? Many wooters have the 2006 and it's gotten mixed reviews, at $8.75. Are those earlier vintages that much better...

CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
true559 wrote:Such accolades. Now, does vertical refer to a collection of wines from different years ?



Yes.

Vertical = same wine, different vintages (years)

Horizontal = same vintage, same varietal, different appellation (generally)

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

lionel47


quality posts: 3 Private Messages lionel47
North316 wrote:Or just list the local fed ex office as the shipping address, much easier then tracking it daily.



I don't see how this works. Why would I list the Fed Ex office as the shipping address? The shipping address is the merchant right?

chipgreen


quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:
So, how are the earlier vintages, as cmaldoon has asked? Many wooters have the 2006 and it's gotten mixed reviews, at $8.75. Are those earlier vintages that much better...



The '03 and '05 seem to have some pretty good CT reviews. I'd be more interested if they had also included an '07 on the back end.

Still, a good deal for a nicely aged Cab vertical is nothing to sneeze at and for those who follow such things, let it be duly noted that mill was the "first sucker".

chipgreen


quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
lionel47 wrote:I don't see how this works. Why would I list the Fed Ex office as the shipping address? The shipping address is the merchant right?



No, shipping address = recipient

rxmurphy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxmurphy
lionel47 wrote:I don't see how this works. Why would I list the Fed Ex office as the shipping address? The shipping address is the merchant right?


I work in an office, so I just have it shipped to where I work. There's always somebody there. (Me!)

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
rxmurphy wrote:I work in an office, so I just have it shipped to where I work. There's always somebody there. (Me!)

For some of us, the volume of WW shipments, indeed, would, raise some eyebrows!

CT

antflies


quality posts: 1 Private Messages antflies

Some 2003 reviews

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=233569

While it is tempting, I think I will pass. 2 of the bottles seem worthy, the other 2, not so much. I think I will spend a little more, on a bottle I know I like.

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
lionel47 wrote:I don't see how this works. Why would I list the Fed Ex office as the shipping address? The shipping address is the merchant right?


My default shipping (delivery) address is FedEx. They now will accept, for me, most any parcel that is Alcohol and requires a sig.

Just don't try this with non-WW shipments, as you don't know and can't determine how Amazon is going to ship, and as much as we carp about WD's shipping notices, WW is a piker compared to Amazon; abysmal would be kind.

CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rjquillin wrote:For some of us, the volume of WW shipments, indeed, would, raise some eyebrows!



You would think, but they just laugh at me and tell me I have another package.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:The '03 and '05 seem to have some pretty good CT reviews. I'd be more interested if they had also included an '07 on the back end.

Still, a good deal for a nicely aged Cab vertical is nothing to sneeze at and for those who follow such things, let it be duly noted that mill was the "first sucker".

I've enjoyed the '06 I got, but it was at half the price. Looking again I see the average CT pricing is quite a bit higher, and there is mill...

May have to reconsider this.

CT

montegobayjr


quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr
rjquillin wrote:For some of us, the volume of WW shipments, indeed, would, raise some eyebrows!



Ha! lol, that's why I have the shipments sent to my wife's office!

ohlfahrt


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohlfahrt

How can you buy and evaluate and enjoy four bottles of a vertical? I ended up buying three orders. That gives me a fighting chance of knowing each of the vintages I've bought.

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Its been stated twice that the 06 retails for ~$10 ? Have to pass here without some input from the winery.

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559
North316 wrote:Yes.

Vertical = same wine, different vintages (years)

Horizontal = same vintage, same varietal, different appellation (generally)



Gracias amigo.

SmilingBoognish


quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
ohlfahrt wrote:How can you buy and evaluate and enjoy four bottles of a vertical? I ended up buying three orders. That gives me a fighting chance of knowing each of the vintages I've bought.



Serve roast beast at your wine geek dinner party?

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

I just received two cases of White Oak, they were 2006 1/2 & 1/2 Merlot and Cab, so really got a case of each at $115 a case or $9.50 a bottle, this mix date Cab is about $16 a bottle, I love this stuff, but after buying the cases seems a little steep. Glad I got two cases instead of one.

alpineguy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alpineguy
ThunderThighs wrote:I finally figured this trick out. Makes life much easier!


Many of us in small, rural communities do not have any of these "hold" options. There is no FedEx office that has counter service. We either wait for the delivery or miss it.

cortot20


quality posts: 131 Private Messages cortot20
ThunderThighs wrote:I finally figured this trick out. Makes life much easier!



Be careful with domestic non-california wineries. Those are sometimes shipped via UPS by the winery not WCC. Also some closeouts get shipped UPS as well. Like all the Constentino wines from a year or two ago.

I would imagine that fedex office would not accept UPS shipments.

CT

michaelrenda


quality posts: 2 Private Messages michaelrenda

Big sucker for verticals. They make great gifts, too.

michilli40


quality posts: 0 Private Messages michilli40
North316 wrote:You would think, but they just laugh at me and tell me I have another package.



Ya I have the local FedEx laughing when I come in. This last pickup the girl asked me when I was going to start sharing

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559
alpineguy wrote:Many of us in small, rural communities do not have any of these "hold" options. There is no FedEx office that has counter service. We either wait for the delivery or miss it.



Same here, in fact, it states right in the tracking info "Hold at Fedex location not available".

tewkewl


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tewkewl

I can't comment on the other years, but i can comment on the 06 cabs.

average at best. very tanic... which i like... but a little too much so for me. somewhat acidic for a cab as well. kind of like a cab having a baby with a sangiovese.

But at 17 bucks? it's simply not worth it when i can go to total wine and get a 90 point bordeaux for 12 bucks.

Obviously for me, this is a pass.

A Bit of history. I got a case of the 6 cabs and 6 merlots this spring... The merlots were undrinkable. the cabs were what i described above. I was extremely disappointed.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
true559 wrote:Same here, in fact, it states right in the tracking info "Hold at Fedex location not available".



It shows that for everyone once the shipping info is generated. Though it becomes available for most of us once the package is actually picked up and in-transit.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin

WD,

Lacking any winery participation, how about some insights how you put this together and how the various vintages are drinking...

CT

Winedavid39


quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

rjquillin wrote:WD,

Lacking any winery participation, how about some insights how you put this together and how the various vintages are drinking...



Sure.

my contact is named Will. He is the head of sales over at White Oak. Good guy. Fair.

I'm perplexed by the variance in views on the cab/merlot case offer. the wines we tasted, while not crazy good, were enjoyable and blew the doors off of QPR in our view. my guess is there is a small batch of wine that went south. Tewkewl (and a few others) may have gotten the short end of the stick.

with this vertical, while not as aggressively priced, it fills the same QPR bill. All wines are still very much alive and a nice opportunity to compare different vintages.

We like this deal alot.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Winedavid39 wrote:I'm perplexed by the variance in views on the cab/merlot case offer. the wines we tasted, while not crazy good, were enjoyable and blew the doors off of QPR in our view. my guess is there is a small batch of wine that went south.



I'm guessing that palate variation paired with unrealistic expectations is way more likely than any of the wines being flawed.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen