MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away Folks!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 16th.

September
9/22: Chicago #?
9/29: NoVA/DC #27: Favorite Wines by the Pool
9/29: NorCal Adventure to Wine Country
TBD: Austin #1

October
10/20: Detroit #12: The Last Hurrah
TBD:NorCal #13: Pre-1997 Wines

November
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: Minnesota #?

Pending
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

x-post from last week's pub

bhodilee wrote:Even better than my price! Was your wife just super happy? Now is the time to strike on a smoker

My wife was happy. Have to bide my time a little longer for the smoker. And again, thanks for the tip. Wouldn't have known I could get the price so low.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:x-post from last week's pub

My wife was happy. Have to bide my time a little longer for the smoker. And again, thanks for the tip. Wouldn't have known I could get the price so low.

No kidding. I'm under the impression there must be a new model on the horizon. My wife said she read on the Tuesday Morning ad that they got a bunch off a bankruptcy sale, hence the cheap price. Whatever the reason, worked out great for us! I think my first attachment is going to be the ice cream maker since it'd be essentially free after the Kohls Cash. I get a nice discount on accessories through my second job so I'll get the other stuff there. They'll have to fire me to ever leave that place, after next Sunday I don't work again until December 13th or something, yet I get to keep my awesome discount there. What a racket.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Ordered a new iPhone 5 on Saturday. Not as excited as I thought I'd be, but can't wait.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

otolith wrote:Ordered a new iPhone 5 on Saturday. Not as excited as I thought I'd be, but can't wait.

My wife is going to get one, I'll mess around with hers and see how much I like it. I really like the S3 and the Evo 4G, but the screen on the Evo makes it hard to hold cause it's too big. Looks nice though.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So it's almost definite now....I need to buy a new car, and it will probably happen in the next couple weekends during the multiple trips to NJ for wedding planning (since a certain fiancee's dad works at a Toyota dealership)....

The current ranking contender is the Prius c Three. Gonna completely destroy my cash flow. But my current car, feels like it's going to explode while I'm driving it lately.
But I've been wanting a Hybrid for awhile now, both for the gas savings and so I can drive the HOV lane to/from work.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
HitAnyKey42 wrote:So it's almost definite now....I need to buy a new car, and it will probably happen in the next couple weekends during the multiple trips to NJ for wedding planning (since a certain fiancee's dad works at a Toyota dealership)....

The current ranking contender is the Prius c Three. Gonna completely destroy my cash flow. But my current car, feels like it's going to explode while I'm driving it lately.
But I've been wanting a Hybrid for awhile now, both for the gas savings and so I can drive the HOV lane to/from work.

Uh. I feel that you are still thinking like a single kinda guy with your choice. For future utility, I'd urge you to think about the regular Prius instead. The Prius V is probably overkill.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bhodilee

JOATMON wrote:Uh. I feel that you are still thinking like a single kinda guy with your choice. For future utility, I'd urge you to think about the regular Prius instead. The Prius V is probably overkill.

I tend to agree with this, but it is four doors so you could probably get a car seat back there without much issue. You know, provided there are to be little HAK's.

HitAnyKey42

JOATMON wrote:Uh. I feel that you are still thinking like a single kinda guy with your choice. For future utility, I'd urge you to think about the regular Prius instead. The Prius V is probably overkill.
bhodilee wrote:I tend to agree with this, but it is four doors so you could probably get a car seat back there without much issue. You know, provided there are to be little HAK's.

The future "utility" car will be when we eventually replace Cat's current car. What's needed right now is a commuter car for me (and one that can get me nicely back and forth from NJ pretty frequently). But if you guys are all willing to pool together the extra $4-5k for me to be able to afford the regular Prius....that may open up that option. But right now, I can't afford that much additional. It's gonna be a stretch just to get the cheaper Prius c.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

HitAnyKey42 wrote:The future "utility" car will be when we eventually replace Cat's current car. What's needed right now is a commuter car for me (and one that can get me nicely back and forth from NJ pretty frequently). But if you guys are all willing to pool together the extra $4-5k for me to be able to afford the regular Prius....that may open up that option. But right now, I can't afford that much additional. It's gonna be a stretch just to get the cheaper Prius c.

I understand that completely. Wait til you throw kids, if you do, into that equation. I think the C will do just fine, like I said, it's four doors so you can get a seat back tehre if you need to.

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So it's almost definite now....I need to buy a new car, and it will probably happen in the next couple weekends during the multiple trips to NJ for wedding planning (since a certain fiancee's dad works at a Toyota dealership)....

Dang ... that seems like a huge price drop from when I last looked.

Although I have more Head (2"/5") & Shoulder (3.5"/3") room, and more leg (3") room in the Rear in my xB. And more interior volume (23.5 cu ft) overall. But less cargo (5.5 cu ft) room with the rear seats up.

Oops. Electrician is here.

HitAnyKey42

MarkDaSpark wrote:Dang ... that seems like a huge price drop from when I last looked.

Although I have more Head (2"/5") & Shoulder (3.5"/3") room, and more leg (3") room in the Rear in my xB. And more interior volume (23.5 cu ft) overall. But less cargo (5.5 cu ft) room with the rear seats up.

Oops. Electrician is here.

Were you looking at the "c" last time or just the regular Prius? The regular is still at $25-30k. This is their slightly smaller, cheaper version.

Prius is:
Head room - 38.6/37.6
Shoulder room - 54.9/53.1
Leg room - 42.5/36.0

Prius c is:
Head room (with moonroof) - 38.6/37.0
Shoulder room - 52.3/51.7
Leg room - 41.7/35.0

So the Prius c is only an inch or two less in any direction.

Cargo volume on the c is 17.1, while it is 21.6 on the regular.
Interior volume on the c is 87.4, while 93.7 on the regular.
That's the main size difference.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Were you looking at the "c" last time or just the regular Prius? The regular is still at $25-30k. This is their slightly smaller, cheaper version.

Prius is:
Head room - 38.6/37.6
Leg room - 42.5/36.0

Prius c is:
Leg room - 41.7/35.0

Are you going to be able to score a sweet deal ? I think the car sounds ideal for what you need it for.

HitAnyKey42

bhodilee wrote:Are you going to be able to score a sweet deal ? I think the car sounds ideal for what you need it for.

I hope so....otherwise, what am I marrying this girl for if not to get a sweet deal out of her dad?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I hope so....otherwise, what am I marrying this girl for if not to get a sweet deal out of her dad?

I know right! Four years ago I'd have said for her cooking skills, but you seem to have grown into that quite well on your own.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I hope so....otherwise, what am I marrying this girl for if not to get a sweet deal out of her dad?

You do realize that she reads this pub, don't you? And since jwhite left, she has a lot of unused clubs laying around.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Were you looking at the "c" last time or just the regular Prius? The regular is still at $25-30k. This is their slightly smaller, cheaper version.

Prius is:
Head room - 38.6/37.6
Leg room - 42.5/36.0

Prius c is:
Leg room - 41.7/35.0

I was looking at their regular one previously, but the measurements were from the C (used your link, too lazy to look up original).

So my measurements were from the C version with moonroof to my xB (with sun/moonroof).

My main thing was to make sure my 6'3" son and my 6'5" nephew could fit in the back seat comfortably.

With the back seat all the way back too.

HitAnyKey42

ddeuddeg wrote:You do realize that she reads this pub, don't you? And since jwhite left, she has a lot of unused clubs laying around.

It's bowtie's fault. His sarcasm is rubbing off on me.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
bhodilee wrote:No kidding. I'm under the impression there must be a new model on the horizon. My wife said she read on the Tuesday Morning ad that they got a bunch off a bankruptcy sale, hence the cheap price. Whatever the reason, worked out great for us! I think my first attachment is going to be the ice cream maker since it'd be essentially free after the Kohls Cash. I get a nice discount on accessories through my second job so I'll get the other stuff there. They'll have to fire me to ever leave that place, after next Sunday I don't work again until December 13th or something, yet I get to keep my awesome discount there. What a racket.

I keep trying to picture a smoker with an ice cream maker attachment ...

CT

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I know right! Four years ago I'd have said for her cooking skills, but you seem to have grown into that quite well on your own.

I thought it was for her Twisted Oak wine club membership?

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:I keep trying to picture a smoker with an ice cream maker attachment ...

This?

Or this?

Okay, not really a smoker, but looks like it's smoking!

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:It's bowtie's fault. His sarcasm is rubbing off on me.

Just make sure that's all he's rubbing on you ... you have to watch those people from the Mid-West!

MarkDaSpark

Oh, and Wellington is up!!! Especially his Old Vine Ports (2003 & 2006)!!! Nom, nom, nom!

I've got all that new room to fill!!!

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
HitAnyKey42 wrote:The future "utility" car will be when we eventually replace Cat's current car.

Spoken like a true man.

HitAnyKey42 wrote: What's needed right now is a commuter car for me (and one that can get me nicely back and forth from NJ pretty frequently).

Buy a Honda Fit!

Toyotas are just wanna-be Hondas anyway. (Same goes for Scions, Sparky!)

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Just make sure that's all he's rubbing on you ... you have to watch those people from the Mid-West!

good point

bhodilee

cjsiege wrote:Buy a Honda Fit!

true, but hte hybrid will allow usage of the HOV lane. the fit, probably not. plus there's the "deal"

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:Buy a Honda Fit!

No more sparkling wine for you!!!

cjsiege

bhodilee wrote:true, but hte hybrid will allow usage of the HOV lane. the fit, probably not. plus there's the "deal"

[stirring the pot some more]
They make a lovely Civic hybrid.
[/stirring the pot]

HitAnyKey42

cjsiege wrote:[stirring the pot some more]
[/stirring the pot]

I've been driving a regular Civic since 2003....I'm ready for something different, I think.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

[/stirring the pot]

For that matter they're supposedly making a fit hybrid. Do they still that cheap hybrid, whatever its called?

Still though, Cats dad works for Toyota, so inferior engineering it is!

cjsiege

bhodilee wrote:For that matter they're supposedly making a fit hybrid. Do they still that cheap hybrid, whatever its called?

Still though, Cats dad works for Toyota, so inferior engineering it is!

Fit EV is electric-only, so that means the trip to NJ had better be within 80 miles -- and there needs to be a plug at the other end of the road.

No Fit Hybrid right now. But the Honda Insight is still in production. AND it's cheaper than the Prius!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Well, guess who will be driving up to the federal courthouse for the next couple of days? Yup, I was chosen for jury duty..... It's not too bad.... at least tomorrow I won't have to leave so early tomorrow morning..

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Hey, Sparky . . . if there is a woot-off coming up and the Troubadour comes up, would you please text me? That was really good wine when we tasted it and it held up for a few days and continued to be really good. Unfortunately, we didn't get around to buying it when it was last offered. Thanks!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

[/stirring the pot]

Civic Hybrid.

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:Well, guess who will be driving up to the federal courthouse for the next couple of days? Yup, I was chosen for jury duty..... It's not too bad.... at least tomorrow I won't have to leave so early tomorrow morning..

My condolences.

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Hey, Sparky . . . if there is a woot-off coming up and the Troubadour comes up, would you please text me? That was really good wine when we tasted it and it held up for a few days and continued to be really good. Unfortunately, we didn't get around to buying it when it was last offered. Thanks!

Dang it! Probably starts tonight. So yes, I will text you on it when/if I see it.

bhodilee

Buying phones is a joke. I was gonna get an S3, but now the S4 is gonna be out in February, so do I get one now or just wait. I'm gonna go with just wait. I got two batteries for my phone for six bucks so that will solve my battery problem in my current phone, then I'll get an S4 when it comes out. F'n phones!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:Buying phones is a joke. I was gonna get an S3, but now the S4 is gonna be out in February, so do I get one now or just wait. I'm gonna go with just wait. I got two batteries for my phone for six bucks so that will solve my battery problem in my current phone, then I'll get an S4 when it comes out. F'n phones!

It's hopeless.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:My condolences.

thanks It isn't as bad as I thought it would be..