Staff

Poll: The first time I had a taste of wine was:
  • 30% - My First Communion 157
  • 25.8% - The time I swiped some from the old man’s liquor cabinet 135
  • 8.6% - When I was a baby and my mom rubbed it on my gums 45
  • 13.5% - My 21st birthday, of course 71
  • 22.1% - Other (comments, please) 116
524 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

High school, I guess. My parents aren't wine drinkers, so I rarely saw it as a kid.

silveri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silveri

At some Jewish holiday though I can't remember which one. Then again I do not really know if you would count Manischewitz as wine...well wine with sugar added in maybe.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

My Mom took me along to a public wine tasting and didn't tell anyone I was only 16.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek

Family meals.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

I was allowed a glass of wine while out to dinner with older friends of the family when i was - 12? 14?

Either it was crap wine, or i really didn't appreciate it, because i didn't try it again until well into my 20s.

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

Wine mixed with water at family means at around 5 or so, undiluted, for the purpose of tasting seriously, around 8, with my grandfather and oenologist great uncles.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jess193

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jess193

Thanksgiving when I was 12-ish

jediokie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jediokie

Does Boone's Strawberry Hill at a high school party count? Don't judge me we had already downed all the Pabst and Old Milwaukee!

bblhed

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bblhed

When I was 18 on an airplane flying from Copenhagen to Moscow so I was legal at the time.

polkastria

quality posts: 6 Private Messages polkastria

I was around 7 years old. My family was on a camping trip and I had grape juice in a can. When I ran out my folks let me have their wine. I think my mom expected me not to like it but I did.

edlada

quality posts: 6 Private Messages edlada
rpm wrote:Wine mixed with water at family means at around 5 or so, undiluted, for the purpose of tasting seriously, around 8, with my grandfather and oenologist great uncles.

I had a similar experience, when I was 7 we went to Italy to visit my grandparents and my nonno (grandfather) would put a little wine and a lot of water for me to drink at the afternoon meal. The wine was basic Italian cheap red bulk wine, about 20 cents a liter at the local wine shop, bring your own bottle to fill. I didn't start to get serious about wine until many years later. Of course my nonno worked at the post office and he wasn't an oenologist, just a civil servant.

My dogs like me, that is important.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser
silveri wrote:At some Jewish holiday though I can't remember which one. Then again I do not really know if you would count Manischewitz as wine...well wine with sugar added in maybe.

Same here, but at least I had the advantage of a grandfather who made his own wine. It was probably at this time of year - happy new year.

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

When I was little my Mother would drink wine, I would wait for her to leave the room. Then quickly drink all of the glass, and sit looking at the TV waiting for her return. "Who drank my wine?!" she'd cry out. Who indeed...

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

Shortly after I got to college.

ravioliee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ravioliee

At family events and gatherings since around 13.

bfosh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfosh

First time I had wine was at a wedding. Was never a beer drinker growing up. I took me about 3 glasses to fall in love.

I've started a new wine site called www.bottleofvino.com. Posts will be all over the map, but always relating to wine. Check it out.

DarthTagnan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DarthTagnan

When I was stationed in Germany. I didn't like beer at the time; however, Germany changed my mind on that.

fractalVisionz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fractalVisionz
silveri wrote:At some Jewish holiday though I can't remember which one. Then again I do not really know if you would count Manischewitz as wine...well wine with sugar added in maybe.

You mean 8 days old?

treecutie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages treecutie

At a vineyard in Italy

ToadiesLB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ToadiesLB

Passover is very centered around Manischewitz - you get to drink after all sorts of prayer segments. That's definitely where I got my first taste of the sugary wine-like substance...probably around the age of 15 the elders let me switch from grape juice to wine.

greenlantern57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenlantern57

I was an altar boy, we snuck drinks all the time.

Listening to the voices is calming. Except for Fernado, he pushes my buttons.

clockworktaltos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clockworktaltos

I lived in Spain for a while when I was young and the laws are different over there, so I had wine pretty young. You know, foreign customs and being a good guest, and all that.

Secret Member of The Order of The Cockatrice.

P.S. Don't tell anyone.

cleocatra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cleocatra

When my dad would give me tastes of his.

bsddk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsddk

Never.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

When I was about 15, I spent the night with a friend. We knew that some guys from school were camping down in the woods behind her house. We walked down there & they had a few bottles of alcohol (obviously raided their parents stash). One guy had a bottle of Boone's Farm that he swiped from his older sister. I thought it was the most delicious drink I'd ever had. LOL! We were having fun until Karen started feeling sick.
*Side note: A guy name Steve got sick on his sleeping bag & stained it. The next day when he went home, he was trying to wash the sleeping bag out in the bathtub. His mother came in and according to his brother & the other guys, she kept going on & on about the stain on his sleeping bag. 'Stain' became his nickname since there were so many Steve's. That was back around 1978. We all still refer to him as 'Stain'. He has a grandson & his brother has been trying to get the kid to call him Papa Stain. LOL! Poor ole Steve.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches
jediokie wrote:Does Boone's Strawberry Hill at a high school party count? Don't judge me we had already downed all the Pabst and Old Milwaukee!

I've had it many times as a teen! Funny, when I was 16, I could walk in a couple of stores in town & buy it no questions asked. Strawberry Hill was my favorite.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic

Morgan David, under age of ten, believe mom might wanted me to go to sleep a bit earlier.

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines