ndeskimo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ndeskimo

Are we close enough to Christmas to get these for Christmas gifts? I'm unfamiliar with how long wine "keeps" so I would hate for any to "go bad"...

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ndeskimo wrote:Are we close enough to Christmas to get these for Christmas gifts? I'm unfamiliar with how long wine "keeps" so I would hate for any to "go bad"...

these will be fine, they're screw tops so they don't age as quickly, plus they're quality wines to start with. Stash them in a cool dark closet and they'll be fine for Christmas next year, when you inevitably find them in your cool dark closet in February of 2013.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bhodilee wrote:these will be fine, they're screw tops so they don't age as quickly, plus they're quality wines to start with. Stash them in a cool dark closet and they'll be fine for Christmas next year, when you inevitably find them in your cool dark closet in February of 2013.

I see you understand how my closet works.

I'm just hanging out, really.

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

Way too little wine for the price. Did the photographer use a cordial glass in the photo? Or did they just photoshop a real wine glass down to tiny size to put next to the bottles?

I am truly curious how these get bottled. Does the winery actually bottle these from the barrels, or does the company just purchase a bunch of wine and then funnel it into these mini bottles? Wouldn't change my mind, but inquiring minds want to know!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
keithnowak7 wrote:Way too little wine for the price. Did the photographer use a cordial glass in the photo? Or did they just photoshop a real wine glass down to tiny size to put next to the bottles?

I am truly curious how these get bottled. Does the winery actually bottle these from the barrels, or does the company just purchase a bunch of wine and then funnel it into these mini bottles? Wouldn't change my mind, but inquiring minds want to know!

They use pharmaceutical equipment and pull from a full bottle. There was an episode of WLTV with these guys on it. Really interesting idea, but they bottles need to be at least x2 as large, IMO, to make it worth the cost.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

xochiluvr

quality posts: 14 Private Messages xochiluvr

I haven't had my coffee yet, but did I just read that one of these pairs well with barbecued baby?

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong

I might have bought one before I looked at the last picture in the series, the one with the two boxes and wine glass without a zig-zag through it. That glass has waaay more than 50ml in it. I'm guessing that's a 16oz (48cl) glass (like those sold in last month's Woot) and it's got at least 1/2 bottle (375ml) of wine in it. Given the context, I would expect an ad to show how much one bottle's worth of wine woudl look like in the glass. SInce the glass is showing more than a box's worth of wine, I find the picture misleading, if not deceptive. I would not be surprised if Woot gets a fair amount of returns from peeps after they pour their first 50ml bottle and feel slighted by the false expectation. It could be worse -- they could have placed one empty bottle lying in front of the oh-so-full glass.

SilentLegend

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SilentLegend

I can't get this cause I live in PA!

Also, Woot, I'm 24. Why do you say I'm not old enough?

inkycatz

SilentLegend wrote:I can't get this cause I live in PA!

Also, Woot, I'm 24. Why do you say I'm not old enough?

Probably more your location vs. age, but you might want to check the birthday on your account.

Any issues of course that aren't geographically restricted, feel free to drop service@woot.com a note for help.

tastingroom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tastingroom
bkarlan wrote:Great for bringing on the plane. The will fit nicely in your little plastic bag and are small enough to qualify to get passed security.

Since the bottles are 50ml (TSA requires 100ml or less), you can absolutely carry them on an airplane in the 1-quart clear plastic bag specified by the TSA. These minis sure make traveling with wine much easier...woohoo!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

600 ml for 40? Easy Pass. If the bottles were twice the size then I would consider it. I can get 600 ml worth of wine at most tasting rooms for a $5 - $10 tasting fee that also includes many varietals.

"The older I get the better I was"

tastingroom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tastingroom
keithnowak7 wrote:Way too little wine for the price. Did the photographer use a cordial glass in the photo? Or did they just photoshop a real wine glass down to tiny size to put next to the bottles?

Using T.A.S.T.E. Technology® (which stands for “Total Anaerobic Sample Transfer Environment”), the wine in the big bottles is transferred directly into mini bottles in a sealed, zero-oxygen chamber. We built a state-of-the-art production facility in Northern California, in the heart of the wine country, expressly for this purpose. There’s nothing like it anywhere in the world!

inkycatz

tastingroom wrote:Using T.A.S.T.E. Technology® (which stands for “Total Anaerobic Sample Transfer Environment”), the wine in the big bottles is transferred directly into mini bottles in a sealed, zero-oxygen chamber. We built a state-of-the-art production facility in Northern California, in the heart of the wine country, expressly for this purpose. There’s nothing like it anywhere in the world!

SCIENCE!
If you have any pictures feel free to share!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Hey Tastingroom,

Why did you decide to use 50ml bottles and not 100ml? IMO, you'd have more buyers at 100ml, both because of the cost/quantity ratio as well as the fact that 100ml provides a bit better of a tasting experience.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

hartmagd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hartmagd

Wow, I wonder how many of those little bottles it took to fill that glass in the picture....

oldcqr

quality posts: 13 Private Messages oldcqr

Thanks for saving me some cash!

I'm not a wine drinker, but I thought this could be a good gift for my wine drinking friends.

I thought 50ml was a bit on the skimpy side, so away to the comments! After I saw others saying the same thing, I went and looked it up. 50ml = 1.6 oz? That's not even 33% of a standard 6oz pour! That's not a sample, it's a sip!

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines

The technology for bottling these is pretty well thought out, as the company stated before. Thought I've never had any of my wines put into these, the folks at Fess Parker, where I used to work, bottled some of their upcoming releases and were very happy with the results.

I agree that these could be a tad larger - 50ml is a small size and I like to really sit with a glass and let it 'develop' over a bit of time before deciding how much I like it. This size makes that process challenging.

That said, these offer a great way to sample a bunch of different wines without having to spend the $$$ on full bottles, so I think the QPR is certainly there . . .

Cheers

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

scottw2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottw2

Received my shipment yesterday. While I enjoyed all the bottles in one box, I feel I was greatly overcharged. Didn't even get a buzz.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

scottw2 wrote:Received my shipment yesterday. While I enjoyed all the bottles in one box, I feel I was greatly overcharged. Didn't even get a buzz.

Uhmmmmmmmmm....

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders