WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: For the most part, I think wine enthusiasts are:
  • 32.7% - Interesting and cultured people 275
  • 67.3% - Pretentious jerks 566
841 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

klix42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klix42

Looks like ~30% of those polled are pretentious jerks.

FrancesJean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FrancesJean

How about a tasting for the scotch drinkers?

Frances Dosher

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I'd love to make a 68.8% of people must be Republican since they're voting against their own interests joke, then I remember it's never wise to mix alcohol and politics (crack and politics is fine if you live in D.C. though) and that I identify as mainly Republican on a lot of fiscal issues.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

The funny thing about this is that in my experience, the last 2 years have seen boorish beer enthusiasts becoming more pretentious/snobby than boorish wine enthusiasts.

Of course, enthusiasts of either beverage that are not boors are generally not pretentious and are indeed often interesting and cultured people.

DarthTagnan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DarthTagnan

I was going to finish the sentence with "Drunk." Oh well...

DarkStar11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarkStar11

c. Folks who really enjoy wine

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:I'd love to make a 68.8% of people must be Republican since they're voting against their own interests joke...

Really. Over 600 votes on what is essentially a wine enthusiast website, and nearly 70% think wine enthusiasts are pretentious jerks. Why are they here, instead of over on juvie.woot?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ddeuddeg wrote:Really. Over 600 votes on what is essentially a wine enthusiast website, and nearly 70% think wine enthusiasts are pretentious jerks. Why are they here, instead of over on juvie.woot?

High degree of self awareness?Not us of course, you're not a jerk if you're naturally awesome.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

I probably would have answered (B) before I became a wine enthusiast myself. From the outside looking in, wine fanciers seem like the Grey Poupon crowd.

We tend to stereotype those who are not like us - it's so easy to do and (unfortunately) generally accepted among the masses.

Not that I care what anyone else thinks. They're all a bunch of liberal conservative jesus freak atheists!

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
chipgreen wrote: They're all a bunch of liberal conservative jesus freak atheists!

Oh My Failing Grades! how did you know this about me?