WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

De Tierra Vineyards

Don’t get me wrong. The area at the foot of Mount Toro between the Santa Lucia Highlands and the Carmel Valley is pretty spectacular. But heavenly? I don’t know about that. For one, I don’t see any angels. And there’s no gate being guarded by a dude with a long white beard. You can just drive on in anytime you want. 
De Tierra official site

Quality Posts

jeeperwoot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jeeperwoot

looks interesting. Which set of pinot would be the one to go for?

Cesare

quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

De Tierra Vineyards

De Tierra Vineyards Silacci Vineyard 2007 Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $112.00) 33% off List Price
2007 Pinot Noir Silacci Vineyard, Monterey

De Tierra Vineyards 2007 Monterey Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $100.00) 30% off List Price
2007 Pinot Noir, Monterey

De Tierra Vineyards 2008 Estate Chardonnay 3-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $90.00) 28% off List Price
2008 Chardonnay, Estate Grown, Monterey

De Tierra Vineyards Sampler 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $83.00) 28% off List Price
2008 Chardonnay, Estate Grown, Monterey

De Tierra Vineyards 2007 Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$71.99 (Normally $106.00) 32% off List Price

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
jeeperwoot wrote:looks interesting. Which set of pinot would be the one to go for?

probably the last choice (for $71.99) since you get 2 of each

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Jumping in to say hello to De Tierra. Love the QPR on these wines, the Silacci Pinot is a tasty 'SLH Adjacent' Pinot that I discovered at a little wine store in South Pasadena a little over a year ago and I was sold on first glass. Solid at the $28 retail price. Even solid-er at this Woot price.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

detierravineyard

quality posts: 5 Private Messages detierravineyard
jeeperwoot wrote:looks interesting. Which set of pinot would be the one to go for?

Hello! We are so excited to be able to be offered by the great folks at Wine Woot! If you are new to our Pinot Noirs, perhaps you should try some of each -----in addition to the traditional Pinot Noir pairings, the Silacci Vineyard Pinot Noir has a wonderful affinity for blue cheese and the Monterey Pinot Noir has a bit more structure in the back end.....elegant with lighter items off the grill. Both are wonderful this time of the year......Enjoy!! and I would love to hear more from you!!!

detierravineyard

neilfindswine wrote:Jumping in to say hello to De Tierra. Love the QPR on these wines, the Silacci Pinot is a tasty 'SLH Adjacent' Pinot that I discovered at a little wine store in South Pasadena a little over a year ago and I was sold on first glass. Solid at the $28 retail price. Even solid-er at this Woot price.

AHHHHH! Thank yo so much! We are so delighted that you are enjoying this Pinot Noir---------for a real taste treat try it with a bit of blue cheese ---it has a powerful affinity for that pairing.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
detierravineyard wrote:AHHHHH! Thank yo so much! We are so delighted that you are enjoying this Pinot Noir

Welcome! Here's hoping you can supply us with some of the numbers wooters so like to see that were missing from the specs page; pH, TA, RS. Perhaps you could also discuss your process and cooperage a bit to help us attack that big yellow rectangle and buy, buy, buy.

CT

detierravineyard

neilfindswine wrote:Jumping in to say hello to De Tierra. Love the QPR on these wines, the Silacci Pinot is a tasty 'SLH Adjacent' Pinot that I discovered at a little wine store in South Pasadena a little over a year ago and I was sold on first glass. Solid at the $28 retail price. Even solid-er at this Woot price.

Thank you Neil!!!! please continue to enjoy it!!! De Tierra Vineyards

detierravineyard

rjquillin wrote:Welcome! Here's hoping you can supply us with some of the numbers wooters so like to see that were missing from the specs page; pH, TA, RS. Perhaps you could also discuss your process and cooperage a bit to help us attack that big yellow rectangle and buy, buy, buy.

Hello again! I am working on that for you....meanwhile----enjoy a lovely glass of PN! De Tierra Vineyards

rjquillin

detierravineyard wrote:Hello again! I am working on that for you....meanwhile----enjoy a lovely glass of PN! De Tierra Vineyards

PN was last night, but I hope there is more to come in the future. SB tonight.

CT

xybition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xybition

There are websites that sell these wines for cheaper

detierravineyard

rjquillin wrote:PN was last night, but I hope there is more to come in the future. SB tonight.

Good morning----AHHH!! SB-----Griva Vineyards does a very nice one----do you know it? SB (ripe fruit----balanced acidity style---not tooo austere)pairs wonderfully with a little fresh goat cheese, chopped dried apricot and toasted crushed macadamia nuts ----which I make as a cheese ball ---roll in the nuts and serve with a bit of crostini.....

detierravineyard

Good morning! I have received several questions about De Tierra's Sustainable in Practice (SIP) certification. Here is a little more information....for REALLY detailed info, check out the SIP website at: sipcertified.org.

Quality Commitment

SIP Certification speaks to the farmer’s commitment to protecting both natural and human resources. Growers and winemakers recognize that mindful fruit production and care for workers’ well-being are important components of quality wine.

Whole Farm System
The comprehensive rules for SIP Certification (known as Standards) address many interrelated elements of the whole farm system. Habitat conservation, energy efficiency, pest management, water conservation, economic stability, and human resources are some of the key elements of the program. The Standards look at the farm in its entirety: the worker, soil fertility, cover crops, wildlife, native plants, irrigation, and more.

SIP Certification
In order to qualify for certification, growers must have their practices verified through in-depth records and on-site audits by accredited independent inspectors. A separate Certification Advisory Committee then determines eligibility based on blinded reports from auditors. During the evaluation process, the name of the vineyard remains anonymous.

Cheers!!!

De Tierra Vineyard

rjquillin

detierravineyard wrote:Hello again! I am working on that for you....meanwhile----enjoy a lovely glass of PN! De Tierra Vineyards

Hope you've not forgotten after the PN and SB last evening...

Here's hoping you can supply us with some of the numbers wooters so like to see that were missing from the specs page; pH, TA, RS. Perhaps you could also discuss your process and cooperage a bit to help us attack that big yellow rectangle and buy, buy, buy.

CT

detierravineyard

rjquillin wrote:Hope you've not forgotten after the PN and SB last evening...

Here's hoping you can supply us with some of the numbers wooters so like to see that were missing from the specs page; pH, TA, RS. Perhaps you could also discuss your process and cooperage a bit to help us attack that big yellow rectangle and buy, buy, buy.

Hello! -----Oh my goodness no!!!----I most certainly did not forget. Here is a start on your request: We use oak barrels from 6 or so different (very highly regarded) cooperage houses in France. The exact selection has a great deal to do with what characteristics the winemaker wants to coax out of or into a particular vintage. For instance---one cooperage is known for their forest characteristic of adding a bit of a hard spice box note to the wine....one is known for very tight grained woods...which can add some exceptional smoothness to the oaky characteristics much earlier in the aging process than other forests......so---in this case----several different barrels were selected to focus on specific characteristics ...some of the vintage was vinified and aged in several different barrels by different houses..... and then the winemaker used each of them in various proportions during the blending (pre-bottling) trials stage to achieve exactly the characteristics we wanted in each of our 2 pinot noirs. He refers to this as developing a pallette (much like a painter) and then using the elements of the pallette to create the desired flavor profile. This process was applied to both of these Pinot Noirs and to our Estate Chardonnay as well -------and in the case of the Pinot Noirs, is part of the reason that there are significant differences between them.. We really like them both ---but for different reasons. We are very food-centric in our approach to wine making and all of our wines are focused on their ability to achieve really delicious food pairing results.

...more follows on your other question (rs, ta, ph)---but hopefully this will serve as a start!!!! De Tierra Vineyard

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...had some turkey burgers on the grill last night, so I decided to open the '07 Silacci Pinot. My notes, scribbled onto a napkin-

Medium color, soft, clean nose- light aromas of dark cherry with floral and herbal notes.  Cranberry and cherry flavors and hints of spice show nicely- medium-bodied, with bright acidity and a decent finish.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

detierravineyard

neilfindswine wrote:...had some turkey burgers on the grill last night, so I decided to open the '07 Silacci Pinot. My notes, scribbled onto a napkin-

Medium color, soft, clean nose- light aromas of dark cherry with floral and herbal notes.  Cranberry and cherry flavors and hints of spice show nicely- medium-bodied, with bright acidity and a decent finish.

Hello!! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Silacci Vineyard Pinot Noir. The Silacci Vineyard is the northermost vineyard on River Road, a few hundered yards right before you enter the Santa Lucia Highlands AVA. This vineyard is on an eastern facing slope on the west side of that well known road. The grapes that come from this vineyard enjoy a long hangtime and display full development of the very distinctive flavor profile of this area because the northern end of the valley is the cooler end and it enjoys afternoon coastal breezes most days.

rjquillin

detierravineyard wrote:
...more follows on your other question (rs, ta, ph)---but hopefully this will serve as a start!!!! De Tierra Vineyard

CT

noleafclover614

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noleafclover614

Hello,

First of all, forgive me if this is well known information, but I am new to buying wine from Woot so bear with me.

I bought the De Tierra Vineyards Sampler (3) for a friend of mine on 9/13. Do you know when I can expect it to be shipped out to him? I only ask because he is leaving for a 3 week vacation on October 1st and I'd like for the wine to arrive before then.

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
noleafclover614 wrote:Hello,

First of all, forgive me if this is well known information, but I am new to buying wine from Woot so bear with me.

I bought the De Tierra Vineyards Sampler (3) for a friend of mine on 9/13. Do you know when I can expect it to be shipped out to him? I only ask because he is leaving for a 3 week vacation on October 1st and I'd like for the wine to arrive before then.

It usually takes 2-3 weeks so you're right in that window, it could go either way.