inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
JOATMON wrote:The date works, but this stupid infection we picked up somewhere may hold me back.

Hope you're feeling up to speed in time!

I'm just hanging out, really.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
trifecta wrote:The AB I can throw in as a third bottle for kicks. Picked it up for $5 on winebid a while back. I am leaning towards the clos du bois and lindeman's. The 97 madrigal is not past it's prime yet. It was a good year and like any vintage, depends on the producer. I would be careful with generalizing regarding prime, as it might trick you into opening a bottle that could go much longer. Also could be the famed but less understood "dumb phase" debate.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that the PS was past prime. There are FAR too many variables for PSs and primes.

Throw in what you wish, I figure we'll open less than 1 bottle per person. People do have to drive at some point. Any extra bottles can be purely for drooling sake.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

JOATMON wrote:The date works, but this stupid infection we picked up somewhere may hold me back.

I do hope you feel better soon. For both health and happiness.

My Cellar

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta
cmaldoon wrote:
Throw in what you wish, I figure we'll open less than 1 bottle per person. People do have to drive at some point. Any extra bottles can be purely for drooling sake.

We plan on driving there and taking a cab home if needed since we are only a few miles away.

I recently asked John Hawley about the '86. He said it was a good year for him and it should be holding up, but he hadn't tried one in the last few years.

His wine under his own label will lay forever, very old world, so I am hoping for the best.

I was leaning away from the PS because bsevern's initial intent, iirc, was to do a cab/bordeaux night.

FYI... I might try to rope in another wooter/coworker who really likes old cabs. Need to check with him and see if he's free.

cmaldoon

trifecta wrote:We plan on driving there and taking a cab home if needed since we are only a few miles away.

I recently asked John Hawley about the '86. He said it was a good year for him and it should be holding up, but he hadn't tried one in the last few years.

His wine under his own label will lay forever, very old world, so I am hoping for the best.

I was leaning away from the PS because bsevern's initial intent, iirc, was to do a cab/bordeaux night.

FYI... I might try to rope in another wooter/coworker who really likes old cabs. Need to check with him and see if he's free.

Your plans look good to me. Feel free to invite the coworker.

My Cellar

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Been checking this board every now and again as I wish I could join in, but the work schedule has been tough lately. Sounds like good times though.

I had all those Raymond cabs (and an '83 Rombauer) from Invino that I've been meaning to dig into too!

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

gosh, if i was still in california i'd totally go to this!

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Unfortunately it's looking like I might be out.

cmaldoon

CAGrl wrote:Unfortunately it's looking like I might be out.

It is sad to hear that... Any way we can bribe you to reconsider?

How about the home made quince paste that we made this week?

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:It is sad to hear that... Any way we can bribe you to reconsider?

How about the home made quince paste that we made this week?

I really wish I could. But I don't have wine to bring for one and I'm not sure if hubby would be happy if I went without him. So most likely out. I'm so bummed that I'm missing this though. Really really want to taste some of these wines!

cmaldoon

CAGrl wrote:I really wish I could. But I don't have wine to bring for one and I'm not sure if hubby would be happy if I went without him. So most likely out. I'm so bummed that I'm missing this though. Really really want to taste some of these wines!

The first count is untrue. You have those PSes..... I can't help on the second

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:The first count is untrue. You have those PSes..... I can't help on the second

Guess I should have clarified. Wines are in the locker and I won't have time to go pick them up before tonight. This week has just been a wee bit hellish.

cmaldoon

CAGrl wrote:Guess I should have clarified. Wines are in the locker and I won't have time to go pick them up before tonight. This week has just been a wee bit hellish.

I have a '96 Foppiano PS here at the house that I can trade you for a '96 Foppiano PS there at our locker......

My Cellar

trifecta

With only 6 attendees, is it worth discussing a reschedule?

cmaldoon

trifecta wrote:With only 6 attendees, is it worth discussing a reschedule?

Nah, I'm willing to hold it and open a Corison for you folks. It'll still be a gathering. Plus the place isn't THAT big. I'd rather fit 6 than 16. We'll try 4-6 wines instead of 10 but we'll have a better chance to taste them as they open and then possibly start fading.

My Cellar

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
CAGrl wrote:Guess I should have clarified. Wines are in the locker and I won't have time to go pick them up before tonight. This week has just been a wee bit hellish.

You have the bottle of cab that Super Sonoman gave you too Hope you're able to make it.

trifecta

bsevern wrote:You have the bottle of cab that Super Sonoman gave you too Hope you're able to make it.

That reminds me, I'll bring your bag and you bring us that bottle.

CAGrl

I really want I show but I think I'm gonna budget my time so that I can go to the open house next Thursday instead.

trifecta

cmaldoon wrote:Nah, I'm willing to hold it and open a Corison for you folks. It'll still be a gathering. Plus the place isn't THAT big. I'd rather fit 6 than 16. We'll try 4-6 wines instead of 10 but we'll have a better chance to taste them as they open and then possibly start fading.

That's cool. See you at 7. Going to bring some cheeses along.

Maybe sometime early next year we can host another one... We'll see if SWMBO agrees.

bsevern

trifecta wrote:That reminds me, I'll bring your bag and you bring us that bottle.

Yep I have the bottle ready to go

brightgreen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brightgreen
CAGrl wrote:I really want I show but I think I'm gonna budget my time so that I can go to the open house next Thursday instead.

Aww, we'd love to see you tonight! If you change your mind, please come on over and drink tasty wine, eat homemade quince paste and other snacks, and enjoy some good company. You could even indulge yourself and still go to the open house next Thursday. :-)

CAGrl

brightgreen wrote:Aww, we'd love to see you tonight! If you change your mind, please come on over and drink tasty wine, eat homemade quince paste and other snacks, and enjoy some good company. You could even indulge yourself and still go to the open house next Thursday. :-)

Hahaha. That sounds amazing. Okay. How about this. If I do show it'll be later in the evening. Hard to go up to palo alto an have to come right back. Plus hubby will be watching some baseball. Maybe we can make an appearance around 8 or so. If so I will text cmaldoon. you guys are really hard to say no to.

bsevern

A big shout out to cmaldoon and brightgreen for hosting the first NorCal woot vintage wine, scotch, rum, amaretto, port and sherry tasting!

Great journey, great company, a good time was had by all, thanks!

cmaldoon

All these notes are from memory so a bit short of detail

1992 Raymond Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa
First bottle opened. Accessible fairly quickly. A bit of bottle funk that quickly resolves into a warm aged cherry with a hint of vanilla. This bottle threw a lot of dark sediment. It was a nice aged wine that anyone could appreciate. Not especially complex, but solid. It held up very well over 3 hours showing best 2 hours in. This bottle was very consistent with other aged Raymond's I have had. I'll buy this (and any 15+ year old Raymond) at $30 any day.

1994 Hess Collection Cabernet Sauvignon Napa
This bottle opened up brighter than the Raymond with a hint of herbaceousness and some tannin. We thought it might bloom into something big but it never really developed past that. This was the wine with the most notable tannins of the bunch but was in my opinion on the downhill. Good old wine, not a wow.

1986 Clos Du Bois Marlestone Cabernet Sauvignon
When first opened, this bottle showed loads of funk. It wasn't quite barnyard, more like garlic and rubber but not horribly unpleasant, just interesting. This wine developed significantly with time and was always the most interesting wine opened. I forget the palate at the moment because it had more flavors than the rest of the wines. I personally felt this was the best wine of the night.

1987 Corison Napa Valley
From Cathy's first year of her own label. This bottle was the most mild bottle of the night. It was accessible but subtle. There were many spice notes and good complexities but it was not good with foods because it was easily overpowered. Surprisingly this fell overall into the middle of the pack.

1996 Foppiano Petite sirah
Purchased on the RPM tour (and then later offered as a plus deal). From prior experience with a bottle of 1995, we knew to let this one take a while to open up. When first popped the bottle the funk was overwhelming and unpleasant. Over the course of an hour or two the funk blew off and the wine bloomed to have floral and somewhat rootbeer and licorice characteristics. Quite odd, quite interesting.

1988 Dunn Vineyards Cab
This was the first wine gone. Several people liked it best, admittedly my palate was shot by the time it was opened but I remember it being pleasant. Not as accessible as the Raymond or as interesting as the Clos du Bois but in a nice spot between them.

1997 Ramsay Alicante Bouchet
BLACK on the cork and very very dark in the decanter. This wine was very much one note that reminded me of a smoky Syrah. Several people liked it, I found it much too one dimensional.

Lastly, I popped a 2006 Wellington victory. Unfortunately, we didn't let it have the proper hour or two to open properly and thus the last glass was the best. This is still a beautiful wine.

My Cellar

cmaldoon

One of you left a 2 bottle leather wine carrier here.... It won't be thrown away any time soon so no worries on that but it might be nice to get it back to its rightful owner.

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:One of you left a 2 bottle leather wine carrier here.... It won't be thrown away any time soon so no worries on that but it might be nice to get it back to its rightful owner.

I think bsevern?

bsevern

cmaldoon wrote:One of you left a 2 bottle leather wine carrier here.... It won't be thrown away any time soon so no worries on that but it might be nice to get it back to its rightful owner.

Yep it's mine. No hurry here, I guess I'll get it the next time I see you

cmaldoon

bsevern wrote:Yep it's mine. No hurry here, I guess I'll get it the next time I see you

Will you be at WCC on Thursday? If so ill try to bring it.

My Cellar

bsevern

cmaldoon wrote:Will you be at WCC on Thursday? If so ill try to bring it.

I'd like to go, but don't want to drive there