WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What kind of wine opener do you use?
  • 19.7% - I use the striking and easy-to-use Metrokane Rabbit constructed of rugged polycarbonate and reinforced nylon 115
  • 61.1% - Just a regular old cork screw for me 356
  • 4.1% - I usually use my teeth 24
  • 8.2% - If it ain’t a screw top, I ain’t drinkin’ it 48
  • 6.9% - Other (comments, please) 40
583 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

unifreck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unifreck

an ah-so opener will remove and replace a
cork without any damage to the cork. It also
is a fantastic weapon if you aim for the bridge
of your attackers nose.

FauxReal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FauxReal

I'm partial to the waiter's corkscrew with a double hinge. I've tried a lot of others over the years and these are very simple, provide great leverage and are compact.

Coming on strong with some hardcore power...

levonpanel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages levonpanel
FauxReal wrote:I'm partial to the waiter's corkscrew with a double hinge. I've tried a lot of others over the years and these are very simple, provide great leverage and are compact.

Ditto! The compactness is a big point for me, since I have a lot of kitchen utensils packed away in a fairly small kitchen. Have always worked great for me.

papamochi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi
FauxReal wrote:I'm partial to the waiter's corkscrew with a double hinge. I've tried a lot of others over the years and these are very simple, provide great leverage and are compact.

I too agree and also have one with two tines that work in beside the cork and pull it out. It is a pain in the rear but great for older corks with the potential to crumble.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

Double hinged 'waiter's corkscrew for most young wines, though sometimes a Screwpull 'portable' for longer corks.

Old corks, especially with old California wines, require the careful use of an 'ah so'. Unfortunately, 'ah so's with the very thin, quality spring steel blades on the original Ah So's back in the '70s are virtually impossible to find today, and have been for at least 20 years. (I used to have one of rather unique design that would work for corks of varying sizes which was my father's from the 1920's or early '30s, but someone lifted it....)

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ShaggyTx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShaggyTx

Waiter's corkscrew - several to choose from since we have picked them up from visiting vineyards over the years. But that reminds me... I need to unpack the Houdini 5 - Piece Wine Gift Set from Woot I bought recently!

KSPYKayte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KSPYKayte

The Houdini one.

ragness25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ragness25

I've never had any issues with my knock off rabbit. With three simple motions the screw is in and out. If you really want it will take the cork off the screw for you. I purchased a whole box set for about $20. It was totally worth it.

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

1. Waiter's.
2. Swiss Army Knife.

gcraney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcraney

Same. I've tried 'em all. These are the best.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

I got one of these when they were up on Sellout - works just fine for my purposes!

ShaggyTx wrote:Waiter's corkscrew - several to choose from since we have picked them up from visiting vineyards over the years. But that reminds me... I need to unpack the Houdini 5 - Piece Wine Gift Set from Woot I bought recently!

Yeah you do, it's pretty handy!

I'm just hanging out, really.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

grisca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grisca

Mine is similar but not quite like this.

giantfan8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giantfan8

Waiter's corkscrew makes me feel like I actually know what I'm doing when I'm about to drink wine. Then I have a sip and become clueless once again

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

I usually use a nice 3-piece corkscrew from Pampered Chef

But sometimes I use the deadly weapon known as the Cork Pops which is a large-gauge needle that can inject CO2 into the wine bottle to push the cork out with pressure OR you can inject the CO2 into an artery in your attacker causing a quick death. Or so I'm told.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
natalieug wrote:OR you can inject the CO2 into an artery in your attacker causing a quick death. Or so I'm told.

That's a handy multipurpose tool.

I'm just hanging out, really.

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek

One I've had for years. Not sure what you call it. Has a frame with rubber end that sits on the bottle. The other end where the worm gear passes through has a device to lock the T handle at the top of the worm gear as you are inserting the cork screw into the cork. When the the handle reaches the frame the locking device flips up and the worm gear then engages, extracting the cork. Been working fine for 40+ years now.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.

Thpbltblt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thpbltblt
grisca wrote:Mine is similar but not quite like this.

+1 that. Looks like that one is more "modern".

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

I generally use this since it looks so fun when opening: Fancy Winemaster Corkscrew

However, sometimes we use my knock off of the rabbit (which tends to work better or at least more easily) and sometimes the 2 step waiter's corkscrew (especially when away from home).

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

The brookstone automatic wine opener. Works well but does occasionally get stuck.

I don't have an answer for the crumbled cork though.

CT

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Ah So, Cork Pops, traditional, double step

I use them all. I really depends the bottle that is being opened, the type of cork in it, and the size of the bottle.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill