ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Thinking about where to go for our February break (2/17-2/23), looking at San Antonio. Anyone from thereabouts have thoughts on visiting that time of year?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Topped 110 in my part of SD. Received the Invino shipment.VERY well packed!
Styro, like from WD but a bit thicker, foil jacket over that to help reflect heat outside and cold inside, and a VERY large, still cold, chill pack. These were delivered to my FedEx drop off at 1430 by GSO, in the heat of the day and were quite cool inside. Kudos to Invino shipping. I'll have no qualms ordering again in the future.

Interesting. My Invino shipment went from Sonoma to Ohio via FedEx Ground with non-insulated trays. Everything seems ok though...

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
mommadeb1 wrote:well, guess where I get to go monday morning? If you guessed federal jury duty, you would be right!! grrr.. I have to be out of my house by 6am!!!!!!! It is over an hour drive!!!!!!!!! agggghhhhhhhhh I am so not happy... and I have to dress up! It should be interesting as I have only been able to wear my sneakers due to my back, and it states no jeans, flip, flops or sneakers in the info..... I hate mornings and I hate even more, mornings I have to be out of the house almost 2 hours earlier than normal and have to drive in rush hour traffic in downtown !!

rant over.....

You could probably get out of it by stating a medical condition (back). GL either way!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mommadeb1 wrote:I am going to be a site... I will have to bring a pillow for my back.... sitting is what kills me right now! So I will have a drawstring bag for my sneakers, carrying a back pillow... oh and to top it all off, my allergies are acting up!!! and I will be grumpy after getting up so early!!!
Question for anyone who has done this, the paper and phone call said no cell phones in the courthouse... does that mean I have to leave it in the car? or do you think they have a place to keep them in the courthouse?

Leave it in the car, in the glovebox so it's out of sight. They don't typically have lockers or anything like that at the courthouse, and if they take it from you, it's theirs now and you're not getting it back.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

We visited Vino Noceto and Twisted Oak today, now 3 cases of wine richer and more than a few dollars poorer!

Looking forward to Spaniard dinner tonight. Tomorrow: trees!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
chipgreen wrote:You could probably get out of it by stating a medical condition (back). GL either way!

thanks...

mommadeb1

cheron98 wrote:Leave it in the car, in the glovebox so it's out of sight. They don't typically have lockers or anything like that at the courthouse, and if they take it from you, it's theirs now and you're not getting it back.

ooo thats not good...

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:We visited Vino Noceto and Twisted Oak today, now 3 cases of wine richer and more than a few dollars poorer!

Looking forward to Spaniard dinner tonight. Tomorrow: trees!

yum... Twisted oak!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

ThunderThighs wrote:Effective September 15, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in California.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:

BOOOOO! More states to follow, I assume?

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:BOOOOO! More states to follow, I assume?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:

Thats on Cali. They passed the law on amazon.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

I love kohls. 30% off coupon, plus price match, plus 30% off the price match, plus kohls cash which we always us, plus $50 rebate form = kitchen aid mixer for $134. Full $300 off their regular price.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:I love kohls. 30% off coupon, plus price match, plus 30% off the price match, plus kohls cash which we always us, plus $50 rebate form = kitchen aid mixer for $134. Full $300 off their regular price.

That is AWESOME!!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
kylemittskus wrote:

This is a result of California getting really aggressive at collecting sales taxes from Amazon.

Other states that tried this, Amazon simply severed all ties with any of their agents and affiliate stores in that state. Unfortunately, California is simply too big a market for them to bail out of, and that also would have killed wine.woot.

Amazon, then went venue shopping, looking for a county that would be willing to discount or abate their local sales taxes in exchange for Amazon setting up their California nexis in that county. They found a willing stooge (I donn't know which county).

Amazon also pushed California for a uniform state sales tax rate for internet sales; it seems that California finally agreed.

The good news is, that wine.woot has been absorbing the sales taxes in their pricing anyway (read any shipping insert).

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

edlada

quality posts: 3 Private Messages edlada
ddeuddeg wrote:Thinking about where to go for our February break (2/17-2/23), looking at San Antonio. Anyone from thereabouts have thoughts on visiting that time of year?

Hi, I lived in San Antonio for four years. Probably the worst time to visit is January/February because that is the time when they get what little winter they have there. Temperatures could range from the low 30s to the 80s, you just never know. You probably won't see any snow but occasionally they get freezing rain and the roads are not drivable. But other than that there is the Riverwalk which IMHO is one of the most beautiful attractions of any American city. It is below the street lever through the middle of the downtown area with many trees, flowers and restaurants. Sitting there with a good margarita, your loved one and some nice Tex-Mex food and watching people is one life's little pleasures. Also there is a nice shopping mall on the Riverwalk, Fiesta Texas and Sea World theme parks, the Alamo, a number of other old Spanish missions and great food. Too bad you can't go there when you can be sure of good weather, which is almost any other time of the year.

My dogs like me, that is important.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:I love kohls. 30% off coupon, plus price match, plus 30% off the price match, plus kohls cash which we always us, plus $50 rebate form = kitchen aid mixer for $134. Full $300 off their regular price.

Which store did you have them price match?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
mommadeb1 wrote:I am going to be a site... I will have to bring a pillow for my back.... sitting is what kills me right now! So I will have a drawstring bag for my sneakers, carrying a back pillow... oh and to top it all off, my allergies are acting up!!! and I will be grumpy after getting up so early!!!
Question for anyone who has done this, the paper and phone call said no cell phones in the courthouse... does that mean I have to leave it in the car? or do you think they have a place to keep them in the courthouse?

You can call and explain your medical condition. They'll probably excuse you. I know that feseral duty lasts two months ( I was called twice last year), but they are also very understanding when it comes to excusing you.
Also, they are very quick at reimbursing for mileage. I think I got my check in two weeks.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:Which store did you have them price match?

Tuesday Morning, which is a store I had never heard f, but is a national chain. If you can pull this deal off like I did, buy it, bring it home, give it to your ecstatic wife, then tell her, "oh, forgot about that dumpster out there, guess we'll have to take it back," then use it to make an epic dessert two weeks later after a delicious dinner of smoked meats from your new smoker that you smartassed your way into.

Also, you will probably need a real copy of the ad. Phone was dead so couldn't show them the website. Maybe you can print it and take it there though.

mommadeb1

darlenee1 wrote:You can call and explain your medical condition. They'll probably excuse you. I know that feseral duty lasts two months ( I was called twice last year), but they are also very understanding when it comes to excusing you.
Also, they are very quick at reimbursing for mileage. I think I got my check in two weeks.

Thats good to know.. I have to drive 67 miles to get there tomorrow....

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:Tuesday Morning, which is a store I had never heard f, but is a national chain. If you can pull this deal off like I did, buy it, bring it home, give it to your ecstatic wife, then tell her, "oh, forgot about that dumpster out there, guess we'll have to take it back," then use it to make an epic dessert two weeks later after a delicious dinner of smoked meats from your new smoker that you smartassed your way into.

Also, you will probably need a real copy of the ad. Phone was dead so couldn't show them the website. Maybe you can print it and take it there though.

I love Tuesday morning!! You have to be there first thing in the morning when their new ad hits if you want something... that is the only bad thing....

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
JOATMON wrote:This is a result of California getting really aggressive at collecting sales taxes from Amazon.

Other states that tried this, Amazon simply severed all ties with any of their agents and affiliate stores in that state. Unfortunately, California is simply too big a market for them to bail out of, and that also would have killed wine.woot.

Amazon, then went venue shopping, looking for a county that would be willing to discount or abate their local sales taxes in exchange for Amazon setting up their California nexis in that county. They found a willing stooge (I donn't know which county).

Amazon also pushed California for a uniform state sales tax rate for internet sales; it seems that California finally agreed.

The good news is, that wine.woot has been absorbing the sales taxes in their pricing anyway (read any shipping insert).

Actually, IIRC, Amazon pulled out of CA for a while (I remember some storefronts based in CA were not available), and then negotiated with the State (and the tax is not uniform).

After fighting legislative efforts to force it to collect sales taxes, Amazon last year struck a deal with Gov. Jerry Brown. The company promised to open two 1-million-square-foot distribution centers in Northern and Southern California and to start charging sales tax as of Saturday.

The good news is that Wine.Woot purchases still hide the sales tax. The bad news is that it shows up on other purchases (the Kites for example).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

Sparky, when's the "house warming" party?

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:Tuesday Morning, which is a store I had never heard f, but is a national chain. If you can pull this deal off like I did, buy it, bring it home, give it to your ecstatic wife, then tell her, "oh, forgot about that dumpster out there, guess we'll have to take it back," then use it to make an epic dessert two weeks later after a delicious dinner of smoked meats from your new smoker that you smartassed your way into.

Thanks for the tip. They matched Home Garden and Outdoors $268 price, so $188 after the 30% before $30 Kohls cash and $50 rebate. So with tax, $120 net.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
zTimothyBz wrote:Sparky, when's the "house warming" party?

Probably once I finish moving the two 48 case lockers over ... so sometime next year!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:Thanks for the tip. They matched Home Garden and Outdoors $268 price, so $188 after the 30% before $30 Kohls cash and $50 rebate. So with tax, $120 net.

Even better than my price! Was your wife just super happy? Now is the time to strike on a smoker