bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:No, that'll be their secret language one another. ;)

The problem is, German sounds so much like English that if you understand sentence structure you can pick it up pretty quick. I took to it fast, though haven't actually used it since High School.

Edit: Funke!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:The problem is, German sounds so much like English that if you understand sentence structure you can pick it up pretty quick. I took to it fast, though haven't actually used it since High School.

One of these years I'll learn it. I'm looking forward to brushing up on my Spanish when my oldest takes it next year.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:One of these years I'll learn it. I'm looking forward to brushing up on my Spanish when my oldest takes it next year.

Good luck. I found the vocabulary disappears quickly if you don't use the language. Two years out of high school, after placing in the top 10 for the state Spanish contest, we went to Guatemala. I was getting proud that I could communicate in Spanish as needed. Until a 10 year old told me that it was easy because I talked like her little brother, who was 4. Put me in my place.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:I can butcher many languages. Nest Pa?

Groan.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Groan.

Votre mère porte des bottes armée!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
MarkDaSpark wrote:Votre mère porte des bottes armée!

Laissez les bons temps rouler,
The lyrics to Frère Jacques and Alouette,
And epicurian words/phrases.

That is all the French I know...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
klezman wrote:Groan.

If bahwm sees it she'll have him groaning, or worse.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
otolith wrote:Hi CJ! It was great meeting you and inshadows and hershelk and kkv on Friday. Hope you enjoy the wine.

Happily am back home. Pretty cool/weird to think I saw the US capitol and my state capitol all in one day, not to mention a packed clinic this afternoon.

It was wonderful to meet you, also! Thank you for being willing to spend the evening with us - and giving all of us a good reason to spontaneously get together. It was a blast!

We will share the bottle you brought sometime soon, I can assure you! Thank you again!

I'm glad to see you made it home safely. And I hope the conference was both worthwhile and a nice break for you.

Next time you're out this way -- drop a line!

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
mother wrote:That is all the French I know...

There's no reason to know French. Even the natives hate the language - that's why they can't bear to completely pronounce any of the words!

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
zTimothyBz wrote:There's no reason to know French. Even the natives hate the language - that's why they can't bear to completely pronounce any of the words!

I am a little miffed with the French, early on they swooped in and took most of the vowels so Poland didn't get to have many. It is not unusual for Polish words to have 4 or even 5 consonants in a row. And the French don't even use half of the vowels they put in their words. It isn't fair at all.

My dogs like me, that is important.

mother

Why is it that when I see things I instantly know I should verify that they are hoaxes by checking Snopes, but that identification skill seems lost on so much of the world?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mother wrote:Why is it that when I see things I instantly know I should verify that they are hoaxes by checking Snopes, but that identification skill seems lost on so much of the world?

I blame Corrado!!!

Actually, I blame my lapse on bowtie & otolith ... especially Doc O's 3 posts on it!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
edlada wrote:I am a little miffed with the French, early on they swooped in and took most of the vowels so Poland didn't get to have many. It is not unusual for Polish words to have 4 or even 5 consonants in a row. And the French don't even use half of the vowels they put in their words. It isn't fair at all.

The Czechs don't have it any better. Olympic volleyball player Bob Ctvrtlik's name has 6 in a row. I still think Welsh takes the cake, though. They have a town whose name has 4 L's in a row, along with lots of other consonants.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:I blame Corrado!!!

Actually, I blame my lapse on bowtie & otolith ... especially Doc O's 3 posts on it!!

Oh my, I had already forgotten about that this morning. You guys are stupid. ;)

I was referring to a 5 minute span where I got 2 of the "I want to stay PRIVATELY connected with you." hoaxes mixed in with a rat-piss-on-a-coke-can-killed-family-member-on-wednesday...

bhodilee

zTimothyBz wrote:There's no reason to know French. Even the natives hate the language - that's why they can't bear to completely pronounce any of the words!

Best comment ever

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

edlada wrote:I am a little miffed with the French, early on they swooped in and took most of the vowels so Poland didn't get to have many. It is not unusual for Polish words to have 4 or even 5 consonants in a row. And the French don't even use half of the vowels they put in their words. It isn't fair at all.

My stats prof was a CJ prof. He told us his last name had no vowels because the Italians stole them all. He also explained negative numbers and why we don't use them as you can't have negative crimes. You either have more than one murder or you have none. Then he old us Jesusis the only example of a negative murder in history. I loved that class

bhodilee

I was just curious where it was gonna take me. I like adventures on other peoples computers.

Plus I'm fairly certain. Said don't click through before I just erase it knowing someone would anyway

bhodilee

mother wrote:Oh my, I had already forgotten about that this morning. You guys are stupid. ;)

I was referring to a 5 minute span where I got 2 of the "I want to stay PRIVATELY connected with you." hoaxes mixed in with a rat-piss-on-a-coke-can-killed-family-member-on-wednesday...

HANTA VIRUS!

bhodilee

mother wrote:Oh my, I had already forgotten about that this morning. You guys are stupid. ;)

Yes well in my defense, i did sign up with your email address. So I've got that going for you.

mother

bhodilee wrote:HANTA VIRUS!

Don't we wish, at least that would be topical! It was leptosporosis in this tale.

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Also wanted to thank imagine4vr for the printer paper! Wooters are awesome at charitable giving, I love you guys!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
cjsiege wrote:It was wonderful to meet you, also! Thank you for being willing to spend the evening with us - and giving all of us a good reason to spontaneously get together. It was a blast!

We will share the bottle you brought sometime soon, I can assure you! Thank you again!

I'm glad to see you made it home safely. And I hope the conference was both worthwhile and a nice break for you.

Next time you're out this way -- drop a line!

Yeah - what she said!

Now that you know where we are, don't be a stranger! And don't be surprised if you have some visitors at a future tasting. :-)

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Wine and trees pilgrimage starts tomorrow! I think we might stop by Vino Noceto. Has anyone been there? I always liked their stuff I got from woot...such a long time ago.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
chemvictim wrote:Wine and trees pilgrimage starts tomorrow! I think we might stop by Vino Noceto. Has anyone been there? I always liked their stuff I got from woot...such a long time ago.

Love their wine. Never been there, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Huge cheers to ddeuddeg and bahwm! SWMBO and I are finishing off the 2005 Ty Caton FB that they so graciously gifted us for our wedding almost 2 years ago (!!!!!).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20

I don't know if the rest of the country is getting glimmers of fall but here in Glendora, CA it was 107 today. GD ridiculous.

CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

So I've been rearranging stuff in Cellartracker, and that led me to Winelibrary, and that led me to Jancis Robinson.

So now I'm wondering what is RPM's opinion of her. (I have a Vague Idea of his opinion of Robert Parker.)

Also what about Mark Oldman? He likes Rush...

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I figured it was fake, but figured I'd check it out, thinking I could easily delete things if needed. Tried it a couple times (apparently 3), and it didn't work. Gave up, and didn't realize it posted to FB until later...

So, I'm a cheater...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:I don't know if the rest of the country is getting glimmers of fall but here in Glendora, CA it was 107 today. GD ridiculous.

Topped 110 in my part of SD. Received the Invino shipment.VERY well packed!
Styro, like from WD but a bit thicker, foil jacket over that to help reflect heat outside and cold inside, and a VERY large, still cold, chill pack. These were delivered to my FedEx drop off at 1430 by GSO, in the heat of the day and were quite cool inside. Kudos to Invino shipping. I'll have no qualms ordering again in the future.

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1619 Private Messages Cesare
bhodilee wrote:
Edit: Funke!

Tobias?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1619 Private Messages Cesare
chemvictim wrote:Wine and trees pilgrimage starts tomorrow! I think we might stop by Vino Noceto. Has anyone been there? I always liked their stuff I got from woot...such a long time ago.

Went there 2 years ago. Great place.
CG Di Arie is also there, and a whole ton of others. I think we visited like 10 wineries in the weekend we were there.
Oh and restaurant Taste is awesome.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bhodilee

Cesare wrote:Tobias?

spark

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

well, guess where I get to go monday morning? If you guessed federal jury duty, you would be right!! grrr.. I have to be out of my house by 6am!!!!!!! It is over an hour drive!!!!!!!!! agggghhhhhhhhh I am so not happy... and I have to dress up! It should be interesting as I have only been able to wear my sneakers due to my back, and it states no jeans, flip, flops or sneakers in the info..... I hate mornings and I hate even more, mornings I have to be out of the house almost 2 hours earlier than normal and have to drive in rush hour traffic in downtown !!

rant over.....

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cortot20 wrote:I don't know if the rest of the country is getting glimmers of fall but here in Glendora, CA it was 107 today. GD ridiculous.

There's already leaves turning and falling here. Though that may be more due to the drought than the season.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:well, guess where I get to go monday morning? If you guessed federal jury duty, you would be right!! grrr.. I have to be out of my house by 6am!!!!!!! It is over an hour drive!!!!!!!!! agggghhhhhhhhh I am so not happy... and I have to dress up! It should be interesting as I have only been able to wear my sneakers due to my back, and it states no jeans, flip, flops or sneakers in the info..... I hate mornings and I hate even more, mornings I have to be out of the house almost 2 hours earlier than normal and have to drive in rush hour traffic in downtown !!

rant over.....

I would have to be held in contempt then, because I honestly don't think I have any dress type shoes. Sneakers, hiking boots, sandals. That's all I own. I could probably find some slacks and a polo though.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:well, guess where I get to go monday morning? If you guessed federal jury duty, you would be right!! grrr.. I have to be out of my house by 6am!!!!!!! It is over an hour drive!!!!!!!!! agggghhhhhhhhh I am so not happy... and I have to dress up! It should be interesting as I have only been able to wear my sneakers due to my back, and it states no jeans, flip, flops or sneakers in the info..... I hate mornings and I hate even more, mornings I have to be out of the house almost 2 hours earlier than normal and have to drive in rush hour traffic in downtown !!

rant over.....

I'm with bhodilee on this. Sounds like a great way to get excused, or have them buy you a wardrobe!

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

rant over.....

Wear your sneakers for the drive, change into flats for the day, change back after. you'll be spending the majority of the day sitting anyway.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:I'm with bhodilee on this. Sounds like a great way to get excused, or have them buy you a wardrobe!

agreed

mommadeb1

cheron98 wrote:Wear your sneakers for the drive, change into flats for the day, change back after. you'll be spending the majority of the day sitting anyway.

I am going to be a site... I will have to bring a pillow for my back.... sitting is what kills me right now! So I will have a drawstring bag for my sneakers, carrying a back pillow... oh and to top it all off, my allergies are acting up!!! and I will be grumpy after getting up so early!!!
Question for anyone who has done this, the paper and phone call said no cell phones in the courthouse... does that mean I have to leave it in the car? or do you think they have a place to keep them in the courthouse?

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Happy. I remembered yesterday to ask for the paperwork to put in for my personal day in October so that we can drive up to Stratford, Ontario to catch a couple of plays. RPM tour, visit with cousin in SF and one other night, netted us a free night at the hotel there! Woot!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast