MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away, folks!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 9th.

September
9/22: Chicago #?
9/29: NoVA/DC #27: Favorite Wines by the Pool
9/29: NorCal Adventure to Wine Country
TBD: Austin Area Interest Thread

October
10/20: Detroit #12: The Last Hurrah

November
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: Minnesota #?

Pending
TBD: NorCal #TBD: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal #13: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Working nights sucks! I'm missing the Monday night double header. And worse, my Chargers are playing the a-hole Raiders! And leaving my baby behind is sad, too.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

So, has anyone else tried the Borg of Crap at Tech.Woot?

And gotten anything other than annoyed?

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Working nights sucks! I'm missing the Monday night double header. And worse, my Chargers are playing the a-hole Raiders! And leaving my baby behind is sad, too.

You mean the Chargers are losing to the Raiders.

MarkDaSpark

Oh, and in case no one checked, the Woot Cellars Fruit Bomber is in the Woot Plus deals. 4 bottles for $58.

Expires tomorrow (today) at 9am CT.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Keyboard discussion = awesome. I used a Northgate 102 for ages. I think I still have it, but it started to show its age.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:So, has anyone else tried the Borg of Crap at Tech.Woot?

And gotten anything other than annoyed?

What is it supposed to do?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:You mean the Chargers are losing to the Raiders.

Unfortunately, my friend, you're likely right. But in some ways, I want that to happen. If we're bad enough (as if last year wasn't), maybe, just maybe, Spanos will fire Turner and Smith and we can get some intelligent management running things.

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:What is it supposed to do?

That's part of the annoying part!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Unfortunately, my friend, you're likely right. But in some ways, I want that to happen. If we're bad enough (as if last year wasn't), maybe, just maybe, Spanos will fire Turner and Smith and we can get some intelligent management running things.

You should have multiple super bowl titles. you really should.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:You should have multiple super bowl titles. you really should.

Speaking of bowls ....

I can so see you doing this!!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:Speaking of bowls ....

I can so see you doing this!!

absolutely.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

I just received a text from sanity that Charlie from Grape Expectations (the place in Vegas where we make our wine) passed away this weekend from a sudden heart attack. They are still going ahead with the new place and making it a memorial to him.

Very sad news

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
Imagine4vr wrote:I just received a text from sanity that Charlie from Grape Expectations (the place in Vegas where we make our wine) passed away this weekend from a sudden heart attack. They are still going ahead with the new place and making it a memorial to him.

Very sad news

Oh My Failing Grades! VERY sad news! He seemed like such a nice guy!!!

polarbear22

My daughter is now in England! She made it to the University, and should have made it to her rental. Heck it is now 11:00 there, and she only slept a couple of hours last night with her travels, so one tired young lady.

So in three years, she will be the next PhD added to the extended family.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:My daughter is now in England! She made it to the University, and should have made it to her rental. Heck it is now 11:00 there, and she only slept a couple of hours last night with her travels, so one tired young lady.

congrats!! You must be so, proud!!!

polarbear22

mommadeb1 wrote:congrats!! You must be so, proud!!!

You bet. But how did she get so old. I refuse to believe that I aged that much.

My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:You bet. But how did she get so old. I refuse to believe that I aged that much.

I understand!! My daughter started high school this year!! She is jealous of your daughter living in England... she has been telling me she is going to move to England when she is old enough!!

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
mommadeb1 wrote:Oh My Failing Grades! VERY sad news! He seemed like such a nice guy!!!

Sad news indeed. Very friendly guy. Will be interesting to see how they do without him, he seemed like he handled most of it.

CT

klezman

Imagine4vr wrote:I just received a text from sanity that Charlie from Grape Expectations (the place in Vegas where we make our wine) passed away this weekend from a sudden heart attack. They are still going ahead with the new place and making it a memorial to him.

Very sad news

Sad

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

polarbear22 wrote:So in three years, she will be the next PhD added to the extended family.

Three years?! Oy. The Brits have it waaaay easier than we do over here. 5-7 years is the norm. Good choice going over there.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Very sad news

Oh no, that is sad indeed Charlie was such a good guy, and will be missed in our future endeavors.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

polarbear22

klezman wrote:Three years?! Oy. The Brits have it waaaay easier than we do over here. 5-7 years is the norm. Good choice going over there.

Definitely part of the reason we supported it. Much less expensive. And since her chosen field does not pay well, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot to be well educated in it.

My Cellar

mommadeb1

called last night about jury duty...... Have to call again on friday... the paper they sent me said I can be "on call" for 3 weeks, starting with the first date I called. that puts me thru next week....

kylemittskus

mommadeb1 wrote:called last night about jury duty...... Have to call again on friday... the paper they sent me said I can be "on call" for 3 weeks, starting with the first date I called. that puts me thru next week....

I thought it was 5 days, not to cross a calendar week. What's this 3-week BS?

mommadeb1

kylemittskus wrote:I thought it was 5 days, not to cross a calendar week. What's this 3-week BS?

according to the paper:

Length of Service:
Petit (trial) Jurors are "on call" for three weeks beginning on the date that appears on your summons.

mommadeb1

kylemittskus wrote:I thought it was 5 days, not to cross a calendar week. What's this 3-week BS?

according to the paper:

Length of Service:
Petit (trial) Jurors are "on call" for three weeks beginning on the date that appears on your summons.

edit: don't know why this double posted...

mommadeb1

more rain????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GRRRR wish we could send it to those that need it!!

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
polarbear22 wrote:My daughter is now in England! She made it to the University, and should have made it to her rental. Heck it is now 11:00 there, and she only slept a couple of hours last night with her travels, so one tired young lady.

Very Exciting!

(if you ever need to know how she's feeling, just check this comic site out:http://www.phdcomics.com)

Wish her well! My sister flies over to the UK this week to start her masters there (1 year).

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

Yeah, that sounds like a lousy idea. Boo. (I'm all for doing ones civic duties, but that seems quite intrusive).

polarbear22

edthebedhead wrote:Very Exciting!

(if you ever need to know how she's feeling, just check this comic site out:http://www.phdcomics.com)

Wish her well! My sister flies over to the UK this week to start her masters there (1 year).

What school? Daughter is at Portsmouth.

My Cellar

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I'd like to take a short trip to do some wine tasting and also go see some trees. I'll be driving from Reno and I'm sure there must be some cool forests around, between here and wine, or nearby. Does anybody have suggestions? I've never been to Twisted Oak, so if I could head down that way and also go to a park and do some nature worship that would be good. Or anywhere within 4 hours or so, really.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Re jury duty: I like the Minnesota system - you go once when you're called, and if you don't get on a jury that day, you're in the clear for 5 years.

Re children aging faster than you do: Tell me about it. My cute little daughter, who I swear is still 12 years old, is graduating from college this year. When did that happen?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

It varies from county to county and state to state. MommaDeb lives in Florida. You're here in LA County.

I know I was on call one time, and it went for two weeks that I had to keep calling in. I think OC may have had 1 and done (1 day waiting in Jury Pool) before LA did by a few years.

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:I'd like to take a short trip to do some wine tasting and also go see some trees. I'll be driving from Reno and I'm sure there must be some cool forests around, between here and wine, or nearby. Does anybody have suggestions? I've never been to Twisted Oak, so if I could head down that way and also go to a park and do some nature worship that would be good. Or anywhere within 4 hours or so, really.

Twisted Oak would be good. Also I think Amador isn't that far (maybe), so you could hit up the Scott Harvey Tasting Room there. C.G. DiArie and Vino Noceto have both been on Woot.

Edit: You could go north to Lassen National Forest or south to Yosemite NF. There's also some on the way to Sacramento.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mommadeb1 wrote:more rain????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GRRRR wish we could send it to those that need it!!

So do we. Don't get me wrong, the "nice" weather is pretty, but we need rain in a BAD way.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:So do we. Don't get me wrong, the "nice" weather is pretty, but we need rain in a BAD way.

Ditto.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
polarbear22 wrote:You bet. But how did she get so old. I refuse to believe that I aged that much.

You think you've aged? Our daughter completed her FSA and managed to pop out 4 grandBlinks in her spare time. I'm tired just thinking about it.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:So do we. Don't get me wrong, the "nice" weather is pretty, but we need rain in a BAD way.

+1

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook