Materra Napa Valley 2007 Merlot 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $120.00) 50% off List Price
2007 Materra Merlot, Napa Valley, Oak Knoll District
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 9th.

September
9/22: Chicago #?
9/29: NoVA/DC #27: Favorite Wines by the Pool
9/29: NorCal Adventure to Wine Country
TBD: Austin Area Interest Thread

October
10/20: Detroit #12: The Last Hurrah

November
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: Minnesota #?

Pending
TBD: NorCal #TBD: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal #13: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Mill, if you're reading the forums, hope you're well and enjoying the fruits of your first sucker!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

Man, if I were buying wine, I'd be in. Nice pH, low alc., appealing description, nice price for Napa fruit.

Winery: any manipulation? Addition of mega red/purple? Alcohol decreased? Addition of acid?

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
kylemittskus wrote:Man, if I were buying wine, I'd be in. Nice pH, low alc., appealing description, nice price for Napa fruit.

Winery: any manipulation? Addition of mega red/purple? Alcohol decreased? Addition of acid?

Wow. 3.35 pH? It does beg the acidulation question. Pretty low alc for 2007 too. Picked early?

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

And this is less than half the average CT pricing. Think this is gonna be difficult to resist...
Looks like WD scored for us on this one.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Man, if I were buying wine, I'd be in. Nice pH, low alc., appealing description, nice price for Napa fruit.

Interesting thread on WB about a new technology in Cali anyway called "Flash Detente". I wonder how many wineries are using this process? Guess we should be asking this question too.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Very, very tempting!

The winery tasting notes sound terrific:

The 2007 Merlot is a Mediterranean Blend that starts with the aromas of cola, smoky bacon fat, cherries and plums with a background of cedar and soy. Flavors of cherries and raspberries with an herbal note are framed by chalky tannins and bright acidity which contribute to the length and complexity of this wine.

EDIT: I wish we still had lab rats, that could easily push me over the edge to tap that big yellow button

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
kylemittskus wrote:Mill, if you're reading the forums, hope you're well and enjoying the fruits of your first sucker!

I can't help it - when I see Mill as first sucker I just have to buy unless it is totally out of my price range. Can't say why I just thnk he knows his stuff.

materrawinery

quality posts: 5 Private Messages materrawinery

Hi wooters - Winery here. No flash detente for Materra. Our production is small, coming almost exclusively from our 50 acres of vines in the Oak Knoll district, and we intend to keep it that way!

kylemittskus

materrawinery wrote:Hi wooters - Winery here. No flash detente for Materra. Our production is small, coming almost exclusively from our 50 acres of vines in the Oak Knoll district, and we intend to keep it that way!

What about any other manipulation?

vannknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vannknight
materrawinery wrote:Hi wooters - Winery here. No flash detente for Materra. Our production is small, coming almost exclusively from our 50 acres of vines in the Oak Knoll district, and we intend to keep it that way!

Sounds good, in for one.

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips

Looks like another great deal! The descriptors make my mouth water for smoky bacon fat and as my cellar is in dire need of some high quality Napa merlot, I'm in for one!

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:What about any other manipulation?

Good to see the winery here today, hopefully Kyle's questions get some considered attention from them on how this was produced, and not just fluff comments.

I for one want to jump in and join mill, but inquiring minds need to know.

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Not a Cab, but at 89 points I'm in for one

materrawinery

Hi guys - Michael here. I'm one of the winemakers for Materra. Great questions on the '07 Merlot. This vintage was produced primarily from the mature Merlot vines on the Oak Knoll property. The vine age gives us the flexibility to pick optimally without having the wine come in too hot. There's no manipulation to the wine - the vineyard itself provides much of the character and complexity. Hope this helps!

kylemittskus

materrawinery wrote:Hi guys - Michael here. I'm one of the winemakers for Materra. Great questions on the '07 Merlot. This vintage was produced primarily from the mature Merlot vines on the Oak Knoll property. The vine age gives us the flexibility to pick optimally without having the wine come in too hot. There's no manipulation to the wine - the vineyard itself provides much of the character and complexity. Hope this helps!

It absolutely does. I'm pretty surprised that you were able to achieve those (really nice) numbers naturally.

Man, I'm not buying wine, but these sound really well done.

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Its a nice discount on these.
I have no clue as to the quality of the wine though.

CT

materrawinery

Here's a link to some photos of our recent Tasting Room Grand Opening, located on Main Street in St. Helena CA

http://www.materrawines.com/index.cfm?method=blog.bloglist

fredrinaldi

materrawinery wrote:Hi guys - Michael here. I'm one of the winemakers for Materra. Great questions on the '07 Merlot. This vintage was produced primarily from the mature Merlot vines on the Oak Knoll property. The vine age gives us the flexibility to pick optimally without having the wine come in too hot. There's no manipulation to the wine - the vineyard itself provides much of the character and complexity. Hope this helps!

MICHAEL ANY CHANCE OF YA'ALL OFFERING UP SOME CAB?????

materrawinery

cortot20 wrote:Its a nice discount on these.
I have no clue as to the quality of the wine though.

Hi - Materra Winery here. You'll find this 2007 Materra Merlot to be consistent in quality and style to other award winning Merlots from the Oak Knoll district. We hate to name names, but we are in very good company!

bsevern

materrawinery wrote:Hi - Materra Winery here. You'll find this 2007 Materra Merlot to be consistent in quality and style to other award winning Merlots from the Oak Knoll district. We hate to name names, but we are in very good company!

I noticed on your website that you've ripped out all of the old vine Merlot. I assume this was derived from that old vine Merlot vineyard?

materrawinery

bsevern wrote:I noticed on your website that you've ripped out all of the old vine Merlot. I assume this was derived from that old vine Merlot vineyard?

The 2007 Materra Merlot is primarily from the old vines. We have been replanting for several years and will be continuing the process for a few more yet, relying on the winemaking team to balance the lot choices to consistently deliver the style, flavor profile and complexity inherent in this 2007 and subsequent vintages.

materrawinery

fredrinaldi wrote:MICHAEL ANY CHANCE OF YA'ALL OFFERING UP SOME CAB?????

Right on Fred! The Materra Cab is the only varietal not grown on the Family's Oak Knoll property - it's a bit south in Valley for Cabernet. The Cab comes from Howell Mountain and Rutherford vineyards and we are steadily increasing production. For 2007 and 2008 we made very limited quantities - not enough for the woot population!

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:Interesting thread on WB about a new technology in Cali anyway called "Flash Detente". I wonder how many wineries are using this process? Guess we should be asking this question too.

Sounds like the debbil

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

fredrinaldi

materrawinery wrote:Right on Fred! The Materra Cab is the only varietal not grown on the Family's Oak Knoll property - it's a bit south in Valley for Cabernet. The Cab comes from Howell Mountain and Rutherford vineyards and we are steadily increasing production. For 2007 and 2008 we made very limited quantities - not enough for the woot population!

OK might have to visit the web site and pick a few up, recommendations?

fredrinaldi

materrawinery wrote:Right on Fred! The Materra Cab is the only varietal not grown on the Family's Oak Knoll property - it's a bit south in Valley for Cabernet. The Cab comes from Howell Mountain and Rutherford vineyards and we are steadily increasing production. For 2007 and 2008 we made very limited quantities - not enough for the woot population!

Hey don't forget woot off's, you could limit the offer of like a 2 pack and 50 or 100 limit. think about it.

materrawinery

fredrinaldi wrote:OK might have to visit the web site and pick a few up, recommendations?

Hey Fred - Of course the Cab is worth the bucks and you sound like a red wine guy. But if you also enjoy the whites, give the Chard or SB a try. This vineyard is magic with Merlot and Chardonnay and we've had a lot of fun with the 2011 whites.

bsevern

materrawinery wrote: The Cab comes from Howell Mountain and Rutherford vineyards and we are steadily increasing production. For 2007 and 2008 we made very limited quantities - not enough for the woot population!

You had me at Howell Mountain!

For shame there's not any quantity for woot, perhaps woot plus ??

materrawinery

bsevern wrote:You had me at Howell Mountain!

For shame there's not any quantity for woot, perhaps woot plus ??

Materra knows ground breaking AVA's and the makings of a great wine. Join our mailing list and keep in touch. Looking forward to the next Woot!

rjquillin

materrawinery wrote:Materra knows ground breaking AVA's and the makings of a great wine. Join our mailing list and keep in touch. Looking forward to the next Woot!

Call me the cynic, but there have been some very direct questions that have been unanswered for ~22 hours. As much as I'd like to be in on this, and for that very reason, pass...

Cellar is overflowing, but I still added over 2.5 cases today. Could have been more.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:Call me the cynic, but there have been some very direct questions that have been unanswered for ~22 hours. As much as I'd like to be in on this, and for that very reason, pass...

Cellar is overflowing, but I still added over 2.5 cases today. Could have been more.

Reading through... I believe the direct questions HAVE been answered. I like the participation I see here from the winery. Thanks Materra!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

pennysaver31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennysaver31

This was a very good wine.

hearkencreative

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hearkencreative

Can't express how much I am enjoying this wine tonight. Perfectly balanced (although I should have let it sit open for a bit before drinking); berries, cherries, cola (?) and/or hints of vanilla on the backend. Really nice, and worked well with our bread & cheese & Trader Joe's salad dinner. It has aged really well; and yippee! -- I have one more bottle in the cellar. Thanks, Materra!