WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What’s the most exotic wine you’ve ever had?
  • 7% - Something in a far off location. I’ll clarify in the comments. 42
  • 4.5% - Something from a long-ago time. I’ll clarify in the comments. 27
  • 6.3% - Something very special, in a limited batch. I’ll clarify in the comments. 38
  • 2.8% - Something with a story, a specific bottle with a history behind it. I’ll clarify in the comments. 17
  • 4.8% - None of these. I’ll just go right to “I’ll clarify in the comments.” and be done with it. 29
  • 74.5% - I’ve never had a special wine. Not counting the sound I make when I feel sad. 447
600 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

SunflowerPrincess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SunflowerPrincess

-I’ve never had a special wine. Not counting the sound I make when I feel sad.

I chose this because I don't want to "clarify in the comments"

Oops, my Tiara slipped!

phonedog365

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phonedog365

The most exotic wine I've ever had... wasn't. It happened to be the wine a friend and I were drinking with a delicious cheese plate in a time and place where we didn't have any one else to be with and were lonely. It was a shared experience and I relish the memory. A mediocre wine made superb. Perhaps one day I'll have a chance to drink a more exotic vintage, but for now my memory will serve.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Up to now, it's gotta be Madeira. But my bucket list includes Vin de Constance and Tokaji Eszencia

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

thelbd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelbd

I once had a Vieux Château Gaubert 1945. It was a beautiful bordeaux, with a nose of oh who am I kidding. A nice boxed franzia from '05.

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

I'm just waiting for the person to write in for Pruno.

Was it San Quentin? Lafayette? Joliet? I know it's comin'!

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

My wife got a mixed case of wines for a holiday bonus. One of the wines was a Chateau Beychevelle. Excellent Bourdeaux wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
JOATMON wrote:Up to now, it's gotta be Madeira. But my bucket list includes Vin de Constance and Tokaji Eszencia

I have a bottle of Vin de Constance from S. Africa. Are you talking about a different origin? Older vintage? What I have doesn't seem exotic to me. So I am thinking you are talking about something different.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

People's definition of exotic and mine must be different. I was thinking like wine made from fermented squirrel testicles or something.

In which case, the most "exotic" wine I've had is not at all exotic like snake or crow, but....well, nothing I guess. Blueberry, Strawberry, Elderberry? Those aren't exotic, but they aren't "grape".

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
icthulhu wrote:I'm just waiting for the person to write in for Pruno.

Was it San Quentin? Lafayette? Joliet? I know it's comin'!

It was Leavenworth, and we used to store it in the hollowed out carcasses of rats. We got the idea while watching Empire Strikes Back, but then the guards stopped letting us watch Sci-Fi movies once Jimmy Three Pokes got it in his head that his penis was a light-saber. Yeah, the sound effects were humorous, but that got old pretty quick.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

gcraney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcraney

An unnamed red blend from a wine maker in Slovakia that was part of his personal collection. Drank it while sitting in his candle lit cellar w/ 5 foot ceilings while he tried to explain why it would never be for sale. I didn't understand a single word. I hope my dear friend translated it all sufficiently. Either way, it was beautiful.

jsouthard007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsouthard007
thelbd wrote:I once had a Vieux Château Gaubert 1945. It was a beautiful bordeaux, with a nose of oh who am I kidding. A nice boxed franzia from '05.

About three years ago I went to a closing party of an upscale restaurant (poor economy, poor location, poor decisions by owner, but great food/wine and great staff). The owner broke out some of his personal collection which included a wine from the early 1940s where the bottle was stamped as a gift from France to the US military for WWII. It was far from the best wine I've ever had and well past it's prime (and probably contributed to getting sick later), but I did have a glass of a 65-year-old bottle of French wine.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Boons Farm Apple..
mk

KSPYKayte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KSPYKayte

I had wine from Spain once. Best wine I've ever had!

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie

I've had some tastings where we had some 1974 grand cru bordeauxs. I was however at a wine dinner one night when someone tapped me on the shoulder and had me follow him into the kitchen. He had brought a couple of ancient bottles of bordeaux (85 years) and while one was crap, the other was still quite interesting.

As for exotic origins, I got a bottle of Georgian (the eastern european one not the state) Kvanchara which came in a clay bottle.

But as far as the house specialty goes, I have about 20 cases of each of a 2009 Washington State Syrah and a 2010 California Zinfandel that I made a local craft winery and is quite good if I do say so.

Certified Wine Geek

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

It's not exotic, but my favorite wine memory involved passing a bottle of homemade plum wine around between friends on my front porch.

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie
mdkopper wrote:Boons Farm Apple..
mk

Make sure you get the special Riedel plastic cup designed for it. Those red solo cups don't do it justice.

Certified Wine Geek

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

It was only so-so but the most exotic wine I've ever had was homemade dandelion wine. Every other wine I've had was made from grapes and of those the BEST(grapes aren't all that exotic) wine I ever tasted was made from some "primitivo" grapes. I can't quite remember the name but I have it written down somewhere and will get some more soon.

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

goddess8681

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goddess8681

Boxed Franzia white sangria.

dick40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dick40

a two year old ripple ,left un capped in my frige,

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
polarbear22 wrote:I have a bottle of Vin de Constance from S. Africa. Are you talking about a different origin? Older vintage? What I have doesn't seem exotic to me. So I am thinking you are talking about something different.

Nope, that's what I am talking about. Just can't seem to find a source around here.

Supposedly it's illegal to import into the EU, because of its high sugar content. But that could be an urban legend.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

I tasted some Chateau Petrus 1966 at a wine tasting in about 1975. Magnificent!

wmessing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wmessing

Opus One . . . can't drink it often but worth every dollar.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

The most wonderful wine I've ever had was an Amarone. Is that exotic? Have I had wines that were more exotic? I don't know, but after that first sip, I ceased to care about any other wine. I am forever haunted by the experience.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
JOATMON wrote:Nope, that's what I am talking about. Just can't seem to find a source around here.

Supposedly it's illegal to import into the EU, because of its high sugar content. But that could be an urban legend.

Glad to share if we ever end up close enough.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

Lenkeit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lenkeit

My vote was for Something Very Special in a Limited Batch.

It was a Château d'Yquem - rated 100 points by Robert Parker. My brother-in-law bought an entire case of 750 ml bottles (you can buy 325 ml bottles of this stuff).

It was AWESOME

We can cellar 545 bottles here at home. This means we must quickly consume the other 436 bottles on hand...

delesh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages delesh

Authentic Chianti, in the hills of Tuscany!

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Beer, NO wine!
mk

cookiebook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cookiebook

Does cognac count? I remember the start of an 1859 bottle, but only remember breathing old wood for a day or two.

berrybuzz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages berrybuzz

In the mid 60's, my grandparents made their own pomegranate wine using pomegranates from the tree in their backyard. I don't know how many were made to begin with, but in the 1990s there were 6 bottles left.

Unfortunately, the bottles could have sealed better. Opened 2 bottles of it around 2000, one was vinegar & the other was pretty good.

When my grandparent's died I took 1 more bottle. I haven't opened it and I probably never will...

mieky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mieky
SunflowerPrincess wrote:-I’ve never had a special wine. Not counting the sound I make when I feel sad.

I chose this because I don't want to "clarify in the comments"

Radio buttons were invented so you wouldn't have to type.

Degree: Doctor of Dental Surgery
Woot-off: priceless

Don't forget to brush your teeth...

redslaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redslaw

1978 Chateau Mouton Rothschild
& 1979 Chateau Mouton Rothschild

rhinzee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhinzee

It was my 21st birthday last week and my folks asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I asked for a bottle of Chilean red wine, nothing special. Come the day of my birthday, I open up my gifts and find a bottle of Chilean red wine....aged 21 years. I thought it was clever. The end.