klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:Sparky! Buckyballs!

[mod: link removed, can't post Buckyball deals on Deals, can't post them here, sorry for the inconvenience]

Wait, what? Why would that be modded out?

Edit: Sparky!

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bhodilee wrote:deh luz

klezman wrote:Wait, what? Why would that be modded out?

Edit: Sparky!

Consistency. Can't post them on Deals, can't post them here.

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
inkycatz wrote:Consistency. Can't post them on Deals, can't post them here.

Dumb, and rather naz!-ish.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:If you haven't read today's wine.woot newsletter, make sure you do!

Cool! Food deals!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Think it was more of a why can't you post about buckyballs at all question.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

SWMBO and I are going on our first date night post Emerson. Sushi Roku and then Book of Mormon. WOOT!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:SWMBO and I are going on our first date night post Emerson. Sushi Roku and then Book of Mormon. WOOT!

Hooray! I thought Book of Mormon was a filter, and now I'm just confused. Have a great time, whatever it is!

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:SWMBO and I are going on our first date night post Emerson. Sushi Roku and then Book of Mormon. WOOT!

Good for you guys. Sounds awesome.
Ours wasnt quite as exciting. We did the cal Phil on the green featuring music of John Williams and Beethoven. Picnic, lots of wine and a beautiful setting.

Have a blast guys, I really want to see BoM.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
chemvictim wrote:Hooray! I thought Book of Mormon was a filter, and now I'm just confused. Have a great time, whatever it is!

It's the name of a musical. by the creators of South Park if I recall correctly.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
polarbear22 wrote:It's the name of a musical. by the creators of South Park if I recall correctly.

Yep.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

Ok, sure, but why on earth? Because woot sells them from time to time? Sounds rather ridiculous to me still...

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

polarbear22 wrote:It's the name of a musical. by the creators of South Park if I recall correctly.

Yep, and rather hilariously blasphemous if I understand correctly. I'm seeing it in a month. South Park's version of blasphemy is fun.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
lauratchi wrote:Trueblood, Game of Thrones and Newsroom!!! Wheee.

love True Blood!

mommadeb1

Wow!! fancy!!! Let us know how the Book Of Mormon is.... It is supposed to be coming here next year..... I really want to get tickets.. I hear it is almost impossible to get them

mommadeb1

My mom heard something on the news about Washington Wineries. Saying that this year they are harvesting early and the gapes are better etc... anyone hear about this?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:Ok, sure, but why on earth? Because woot sells them from time to time? Sounds rather ridiculous to me still...

CPSC told retailers to stop selling them. Amazon pansied up and said OK. Probably will never see them here again

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

I didn't get the woot newsletter this time Can someone post the content, please?

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

Cesare

quality posts: 1651 Private Messages Cesare

Hello Wine.Woot enthusiast,

Just a quick note regarding today’s deal - it’s a no brainer.
The Cycles Gladiator Red Mixed Case is $99.99 - an unbelievable price, but believe it. The Cycles folks have been winning the QPR race for years. (That’s Quality Price Ratio for you civilians.) You’ve been asking for this kind of variety in a Cycles deal. Yes, we are listening! These are great everyday drinkers at an even greater one-day price.

Onward to other Wine.Woot news:

Don’t forget to scroll down the page for some great Woot Plus offers. We've got a bunch of awesome deals aging in our barrel, from legit good wine to wine accessories and gifts. Keep an eye on Woot Plus. Things are only getting more interesting.

What happens when "community engagement" turns literal? Wine.Wooters Hitanykey and Cheron98 first noticed each other on the Wine.Woot boards. Then they met in person at one of the famous Wine.Wooter-initiated gatherings. Word is that the others saw the spark before they did. Well, one thing led to another, and you guessed it… “HAK” popped the question during the now famous wooter RPM tour this summer at one of their (and our) favorite wineries, Corison. Congrats to Hitanykey and Cheron98! We love it when wine love leads to true love!

That's about it for now. As the weather cools, look for more food deals coming your way.

Oh, and if you like a wine that you’ve grabbed on Wine.Woot, chime in on the boards. We’d love to hear from you, and so will the winemakers who stop by. It’s your community, speak up!

WineDavid39

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
bhodilee wrote:CPSC told retailers to stop selling them. Amazon pansied up and said OK. Probably will never see them here again

Now I understand why the coupon code I posted this afternoon on Deals got taken down immediately.

In other news, I just saw the most gagworthy commercial I've seen in a long time. I had to rewind to make sure I got it all down. A Denny's cheeseburger that's then topped w/ mac n' cheese, a scoop of chili, and a pile of jalapeños. Apparently people eat this? I guess I'm just old.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I'd like to give a congratulatory shout out to Chris of super sonoman for earning a 93 and 2 92 ratings in the most recent wine enthusiast. Ratings certainly aren't everything but the recognition will help I am sure.

( 93. 2008 Syrah)
( 92. 2007 Meritage)
( 92. 2008 Cab)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
InFrom wrote:Now I understand why the coupon code I posted this afternoon on Deals got taken down immediately.

In other news, I just saw the most gagworthy commercial I've seen in a long time. I had to rewind to make sure I got it all down. A Denny's cheeseburger that's then topped w/ mac n' cheese, a scoop of chili, and a pile of jalapeños. Apparently people eat this? I guess I'm just old.

No. Just sensible. It may be one of those things that sounds way better on a Saturday at 5:00 am after the bars close.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

MarkDaSpark

InFrom wrote:Now I understand why the coupon code I posted this afternoon on Deals got taken down immediately.

Me too. Although if you'd been watching the Travel Channel, you'd have seen ADAM RICHMAN'S BEST SANDWICH IN AMERICA.

One of the sandwiches is the Four Courser at the Fifty/50 bar in Chicago. "The 4-courser sandwich has smoked pulled pork with a gouda béchamel sauce, pickles, jalapeño chips, sweet potato chips with BBQ sauce and a waffle-ized macaroni and cheese, all between a smoked pretzel bun."

Waffle-ized mac n cheese. You make it by pouring the mac 'n cheese into a waffle maker. Simply weird.

And then there was Portland, OR, where they have the Big-Ass Sandwiches Food Truck. With it's special sandwich. A roast beef sandwich with slow-cooked roast beef and hand-cut french fries piled onto a ciabatta roll and covered with homemade béchamel sauce.

And then there were the Primanti Bros. sandwiches (Pittsburgh). Which are topped with french fries, cole slaw & tomatoes. The host had the famous Capp and Cheese stuffed sandwich is a delicious combination of cappicola, coleslaw, french fries, provolone, egg and more.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Everybody run out to get a sammich?

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

No, but I will if you make me a sammich

MarkDaSpark

tiger7610 wrote:No, but I will if you make me a sammich

Done! You're a sammich!

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
MarkDaSpark wrote:Done! You're a sammich!

Nice! Although I prefer to have a real sammich I could consume as food.

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:
And then there were the Primanti Bros. sandwiches (Pittsburgh). Which are topped with french fries, cole slaw & tomatoes. The host had the famous Capp and Cheese stuffed sandwich is a delicious combination of cappicola, coleslaw, french fries, provolone, egg and more.

I've had Primanti brothers on a few different occassions (though it was from the downtown location, and not the original in the Strip District). It is a good sandwich at a good price, but nothing I would really go out of my way for. I am not a huge slaw fan, so that may skew my judgement a little bit. I would probably be much happier ordering the sandwich sans the slaw, but am always afraid to for fear or dirty looks or spit in my food. If you, add an egg to anything you get, it makes it much better.

My CT

North316

cmaldoon wrote:I'd like to give a congratulatory shout out to Chris of super sonoman for earning a 93 and 2 92 ratings in the most recent wine enthusiast. Ratings certainly aren't everything but the recognition will help I am sure.

( 93. 2008 Syrah)
( 92. 2007 Meritage)
( 92. 2008 Cab)

The wife and I were at Costco yesterday just browsing the wine section and as we were walking away and this little old man (had to be approaching 80) chased us down very enthusiastically just to let us know that WE rated the Kirkland SB a 90 or 91 or something and that it was a great bargain. I'm not a SB fan, and have plenty of whites, but I just found it humorous how the guy tracked us down and was so exited to tell us about his find.

My CT

InFrom

lauratchi wrote:No. Just sensible. It may be one of those things that sounds way better on a Saturday at 5:00 am after the bars close.

That was exactly my thought -- once upon a time, this would have sounded like a great idea to me.

MarkDaSpark wrote:Me too. Although if you'd been watching the Travel Channel, you'd have seen ADAM RICHMAN'S BEST SANDWICH IN AMERICA.

Good point, I had forgotten about the whole man vs. food phenomenon. In that context, the Denny's sandwich starts to seem perfectly normal!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
InFrom wrote:Good point, I had forgotten about the whole man vs. food phenomenon. In that context, the Denny's sandwich starts to seem perfectly normal!

Well, there is the part where his doctors said if he kept doing that show he was gonna die sooner than later, hence, man vs food nation.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1

thought back was better, stood too long in one place trying to get tickets (online) to our local theater..... now my back hurts again.........grrrr

good news, had to call for fed. jury duty last night.... don't have to go.... but call on monday night........

more good news... the new guy they hired is awesome!!!! so I made the right choice in not taking the job.....

oh and yesterday I had a gym class of teacher cut me down in front of 4 other personnel.... I bit my cheek and walked away.... I was so proud of myself... not wasting energy on the gym class!! but it made me look better!!

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:Well, there is the part where his doctors said if he kept doing that show he was gonna die sooner than later, hence, man vs food nation.

Or vs "Fast Food Nation"?

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I have to buy a new keyboard for work. Am I the only person who HATES silent, squishy keys? I chose my keyboard based on negative reviews.

Cesare

quality posts: 1651 Private Messages Cesare
chemvictim wrote:I have to buy a new keyboard for work. Am I the only person who HATES silent, squishy keys? I chose my keyboard based on negative reviews.

Original IBM clicky keyboard FTW!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
chemvictim wrote:I have to buy a new keyboard for work. Am I the only person who HATES silent, squishy keys? I chose my keyboard based on negative reviews.

Try to hunt down a keyboard that uses "Cherry MX" keyswitches. They come in different "colors" based on the keypress effort and loudness, but they're all mechanical and teh awesome.

And Cesare- I miss my Model M's! They did double duty as personal defense weaponry too...

rpm

quality posts: 175 Private Messages rpm
mother wrote:Try to hunt down a keyboard that uses "Cherry MX" keyswitches. They come in different "colors" based on the keypress effort and loudness, but they're all mechanical and teh awesome.

And Cesare- I miss my Model M's! They did double duty as personal defense weaponry too...

If you don't need the fancy windows keys from the newer keyboards, you can get an IBM Model M or a Northgate keyboard:

IBM Model M Keyboards

Refurbished Northgate OmniKey Keyboards

I use a mid-90's Northgate OmniKey 101 (and wish I still had my other OmniKey with programmable keys that would have let me emulate the 2 windows special keys) which I've cleaned up. I used newer keyboards for many years and disliked them, and finally after looking at buying new clicky keyboard for a lot, decided to see if I still had an old Northgate in the office basement, and found it. I've been using it for a few years now and couldn't be happier.

I think it's a matter of preference between the IBM and the Northgate keyboards. I've used both over the years and have a slight preference for the Northgate.

You do need to make sure you have the right adapaters, especially if your IBM or Northgate has an AT connector rather than a PS2 connector. The Northgate guy gives you the appropriate stuff if you buy one from him. I've worked with him and he's reasonable and reliable.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

Still using my stash of Northgates, and I have lots of spare parts.

Edit: and not that I've read ahead, I see I'm in excellent company!

CT

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Working the Hudson Valley Wine Festival this weekend. It's not a festival until the place is evacuated for "Emergency Weather Conditions" and you have to call 911 about a guy who is harassing women, and so stoopid drunk he's falling down as he's attempting to walk to his car. Who goes to a wine festival to get drunk by themselves??

Back to do it all over again tomorrow!

rpm

quality posts: 175 Private Messages rpm
rjquillin wrote:Still using my stash of Northgates, and I have lots of spare parts.

Which model? I've used 101, 102 and one of the Ultra models, but I only have the 101 left....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
rpm wrote:Which model? I've used 101, 102 and one of the Ultra models, but I only have the 101 left....

Here at home I can touch (in use) an Omni 101 and an Ultra. On campus I'm not sure which, but there are at least four or five both in use and for parts.
Used to find them at swap meets for $5 each and picked 'em up whenever I saw them.

CT