polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:Trader Joe's opens on Friday!!!!!!!

Will they sell wine? TJ here cannot sell wine.

EDIT: SPARKY!!!!

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
ThunderThighs wrote:Wow, what grade? My niece had a similar ratio year before last but not quite that bad.

I saw the post above about helping out Darlene. I do that for my nieces. I try to get them some supplies at the beginning of the school year and again at Christmas. I guess I need to go shopping soon for the fall round.

I'll do it when I get back from taking son back to college. We leave Thursday. He doesn't take a car so I go with him to rent a car for the move-in from storage to his dorm room.

This is 7th grade. What grade is your niece in now? I found out at lunch today that a whole team of classes - 5 classes is pretty much boy heavy. I don't know about the other teams. It's very unusual to have that much of a difference in gender balance. Makes one wonder what was in the water that year!

Wow! You have a son going to college? I had no idea!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:I keep forgetting a lot of the northern schools don't have the heavy duty air conditioners!! we have the opposite problem... in winter we don't always have heat!

one of our classes only has 2 girls also...

What grade is that?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:Trader Joe's opens on Friday!!!!!!!

Lucky!

bahwm

My poor iPhone has been acting up lately: missing texts that then show up an hour later; missing phone calls; battery not holding charge; touch screen not responding normally. Took it in to the verizon store, "new" phone arrived today! Old phone backed up, stuff transferred to new phone. Will deal with returning new phone tomorrow.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
polarbear22 wrote:Having an Alchemist Heady Topper. Wonderful. And I blame it all on Corrado.

That should be a filter!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cjsiege wrote:When I was in grad school and working as a TA (aka Indentured Servant), I was one of 7 TA's for one of the "mega-classes"... 800+ students. For tests, there were always 7 questions on the test (one for each TA). We each got to grade the *same* question 800 times. Tests were passed around among us in stacks of 50. I had a pull-out sofa, so I hosted a couple of all night grading parties where a couple of us would grade and eat pizza until we'd collapse around 4am. Then get up at 7:30 and start all over again.

Those were the days...

When I was a TA we used to do shots of slivovitza and go teach

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:My poor iPhone has been acting up lately: missing texts that then show up an hour later; missing phone calls; battery not holding charge; touch screen not responding normally. Took it in to the verizon store, "new" phone arrived today! Old phone backed up, stuff transferred to new phone. Will deal with returning new phone tomorrow.

Until I read the screen and battery thing my thought was, you must have Verizon.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
bhodilee wrote:When I was a TA we used to do shots of slivovitza and go teach

When I was a TA, my advisor would have us over for shots of slivovitza!

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:That should be a filter!!!

I thought it was!

bahwm

bhodilee wrote:Until I read the screen and battery thing my thought was, you must have Verizon.

Were the other things typical probs with Verizon? Up until a few weeks ago, everything was working perfectly fine. The screen thing kind of cured itself while we were in Spain. Don't know what happened there. I only used it to take a few pics but kept it in airplane mode the whole time. Maybe the x-rays at the airport zapped it into working correctly, but messed up the other things!

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
bahwm wrote:My poor iPhone has been acting up lately: missing texts that then show up an hour later; missing phone calls; battery not holding charge; touch screen not responding normally. Took it in to the verizon store, "new" phone arrived today! Old phone backed up, stuff transferred to new phone. Will deal with returning new phone tomorrow.

You should have waited for the 5!

CT

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:Were the other things typical probs with Verizon? Up until a few weeks ago, everything was working perfectly fine. The screen thing kind of cured itself while we were in Spain. Don't know what happened there. I only used it to take a few pics but kept it in airplane mode the whole time. Maybe the x-rays at the airport zapped it into working correctly, but messed up the other things!

When I had them yes, those things always happened.

bhodilee

edthebedhead wrote:When I was a TA, my advisor would have us over for shots of slivovitza!

Awesome. We drank with ours all the time, but I think they'd have been mad about teaching drunk. Whatever, underclassmen were stupid.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:When I had them yes, those things always happened.

It only happens to me when the texts are to/from a specific friend of mine who is on sprint. No troubles otherwise. So I tend to think the issue there is with Sprint :-)

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:It only happens to me when the texts are to/from a specific friend of mine who is on sprint. No troubles otherwise. So I tend to think the issue there is with Sprint :-)

possibly, but I am now a Sprinter and haven't had those issues. My issues were Verizon to Verizon though. Course, I always had a crappy phone, not sure if that could be the cause.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
bhodilee wrote:When I was a TA we used to do shots of slivovitza and go teach

edthebedhead wrote:When I was a TA, my advisor would have us over for shots of slivovitza!

Wow, I never had that kind of stuff going on when I was a TA. Obviously went to the wrong school.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:Wow, I never had that kind of stuff going on when I was a TA. Obviously went to the wrong school.

So did I, because if the TA's had been doing that, they wouldn't have been such uptight a-holes!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

coynedj wrote:Wow, I never had that kind of stuff going on when I was a TA. Obviously went to the wrong school.

or you didn't have a hippie major like I did.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:So did I, because if the TA's had been doing that, they wouldn't have been such uptight a-holes!

I walked into a class once and handed back papers and said, these sucked to grade, so I gave up pretty early in and if you turned it in, I gave you full credit. Everyone erupted into applause.

Seriously though, they were HAND DRAWN contour maps. I'm really gonna go through 150 of them and check for spacing and no overlap. Uh, no.

bhodilee

stupid TA story. I had this student in my office once asking about, something, homework I dont' remember. Anyway SHE WAS HOT like fire and whatever we were talking about required me to draw a map, guess what state I chose. flunking Florida, the penis state. So here I am, talking to this hot undergrad with a giant penis drawn on a piece of paper and I'm marking all over it. After she left my office mate came in and said, why is there a picture of a chalk on your desk. I looked at it, realized what I had done and almost died of shame.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bhodilee wrote:I walked into a class once and handed back papers and said, these sucked to grade, so I gave up pretty early in and if you turned it in, I gave you full credit. Everyone erupted into applause.

Seriously though, they were HAND DRAWN contour maps. I'm really gonna go through 150 of them and check for spacing and no overlap. Uh, no.

Sounds like a lousy assignment to be given at all.

I'm just hanging out, really.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bhodilee wrote:stupid TA story. I had this student in my office once asking about, something, homework I dont' remember. Anyway SHE WAS HOT like fire and whatever we were talking about required me to draw a map, guess what state I chose. flunking Florida, the penis state. So here I am, talking to this hot undergrad with a giant penis drawn on a piece of paper and I'm marking all over it. After she left my office mate came in and said, why is there a picture of a chalk on your desk. I looked at it, realized what I had done and almost died of shame.

Bowtie, your subconscious wanted you to get some, nothing to be ashamed of.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bhodilee

cmaldoon wrote:Bowtie, your subconscious wanted you to get some, nothing to be ashamed of.

No kidding. I always hoped after that I was known as the TA with the huge Florida.

Probably not.

Such a stupid thing though. Thank god we weren't talking mountains, i'd hate to know what kinda snow covered peaks I'd have drawn.

bhodilee

inkycatz wrote:Sounds like a lousy assignment to be given at all.

yeah, I quickly stopped assigning that part of the assignment. I made them do it, but it was bonus points.

bhodilee

i should add, I've been up since 3:30 a.m. and went to bed at 11:30 and have had 64oz of Energy Drink type crap from the QuikTrip (best gas station evah) soda fountain, so I'm flying with eagles currently. It's this wonderful feeling of complete manicness and utter exhaustion. I foretell an epic crash later. Hopefully this occurs after i'm home.

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Bowtie strikes again! You can't get this sort of entertainment from any of the other "World of Woot" forums...

tenuki

bhodilee wrote:No kidding. I always hoped after that I was known as the TA with the huge Florida.

Probably not.

Such a stupid thing though. Thank god we weren't talking mountains, i'd hate to know what kinda snow covered peaks I'd have drawn.

I think it was south park that had the joke about drawing a circle with a dot in it, it's a penis pointing straight at you. Anyway we were in physics and the professor drew a vector field with a bunch of vectors, pointing right out of the board and you can guess what he was drawing ... got my friend in trouble over that one since she burst out laughing when I mentioned it.

CT

tenuki

cjsiege wrote:Bowtie strikes again! You can't get this sort of entertainment from any of the other "World of Woot" forums...

Maybe we need a sake energy drink

CT

bhodilee

tenuki wrote:Maybe we need a sake energy drink

ZOMG! they totally make one!

I can't find it on Google, but the Japanese store by my house has it. I was beside myself.

bhodilee

Holy crap, New Kindle with a backlight, Kindle with offers drops to 69 and 3 NEW FIRES! Amazon went all out for me.

Oh, and fro those with Prime, I guess a lot of the EPIX movie catalog is now part of that (Thor, Captain America, etc...) now I just need to be able to buy an HBOGo subscription and I'll cancel cable.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I still have this box from Beachbody, addressed to the woman who used to live here. I contacted Beachbody and they told her to come pick it up. It's been about a week and I haven't heard anything from her. Clearly she knows the address, but I don't know if she even lives in this area anymore. She could easily get in touch with me through the landlord, if she wanted to.

In the meantime, I'm dying to know what's in the box. I really want to open it, just to see what's in there!

bhodilee

chemvictim wrote:I still have this box from Beachbody, addressed to the woman who used to live here. I contacted Beachbody and they told her to come pick it up. It's been about a week and I haven't heard anything from her. Clearly she knows the address, but I don't know if she even lives in this area anymore. She could easily get in touch with me through the landlord, if she wanted to.

In the meantime, I'm dying to know what's in the box. I really want to open it, just to see what's in there!

wait....

they told a STRANGER to come to your house to pick up THEIR product?

Makes perfect sense.

From a horror movie plot standpoint.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bhodilee wrote:now I just need to be able to buy an HBOGo subscription and I'll cancel cable.

I would love to be able to buy HBOGo without having cable. Cable doesn't fit the way I watch tv these days.

I'm just hanging out, really.

bhodilee

inkycatz wrote:I would love to be able to buy HBOGo without having cable. Cable doesn't fit the way I watch tv these days.

No it does not, but I watch EPIX and HBOGo on the Roku all the time. Now it looks like I don't need a cable subscription to rock EPIX on the Roku though. Maybe that'll be Amazon's next thing, they'll sign a deal with HBO. I would totally pay more than $79 for prime if that was the case.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:Holy crap, New Kindle with a backlight, Kindle with offers drops to 69 and 3 NEW FIRES! Amazon went all out for me.

Huh? I clearly need some of that caffeine you are drinking. 6.5 hours of work down, 8+ more to go.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Huh? I clearly need some of that caffeine you are drinking. 6.5 hours of work down, 8+ more to go.

engadget is doing a live feed of the Amazon Press Conference where they're announcing all sorts of bowtie approved goodness. I have um, 38 minutes and I'm done for hte day

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tenuki wrote:You should have waited for the 5!

Why? Replacement was free!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:engadget is doing a live feed of the Amazon Press Conference where they're announcing all sorts of bowtie approved goodness. I have um, 38 minutes and I'm done for hte day

Quick! Is Nebraska Hop God any good?

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
otolith wrote:Anyone in the DC area up for a late dinner or a glass of wine this Friday? I'll be arriving around 6:30pm, landing at Reagan. Also, any insight into getting to the convention center area from the airport would be appreciated.

So sorry - I haven't been lurking in the Pub this week. Thankfully, I just picked up email from cjsiege, to which I've responded. But I know that it's probably easier to reach her here. :-)

So cjsiege, please check for PM from me.

And otolith, not to worry. The DC Metro is easy to navigate, assuming that you travel with reasonable luggage.