bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mother wrote:Like I can't be trolling AND pretentious AND douchey at the same time.


I just couldn't resist!



HEY, that's the role I FILL around here!

edit: SPARKY!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bhodilee wrote:HEY, that's the role I FILL around here!



And if you ever need a day off from it, you've got it covered.

I'm just hanging out, really.

cjsiege


quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
otolith wrote:Anyone in the DC area up for a late dinner or a glass of wine this Friday? I'll be arriving around 6:30pm, landing at Reagan. Also, any insight into getting to the convention center area from the airport would be appreciated.



MetroRail - Yellow Line train (Northbound - Ft. Totten) from National Airport to Mt. Vernon Square/7th St/Convention Center. About 15 minutes by rail.

I'll see if I can find a spare SmarTrip card that you can borrow. They are upcharging for the paper tickets now.

darlenee1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Just wanted to give a shout-out to wine wooters helping me out! It's been awhile since I've posted in the pub, so I can't remember user names. But, thanks a bunch, Kevin! My students thank you even more

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
darlenee1 wrote:Just wanted to give a shout-out to wine wooters helping me out! It's been awhile since I've posted in the pub, so I can't remember user names. But, thanks a bunch, Kevin! My students thank you even more



You're welcome For those that aren't on FB with Darlene, her school budget basically only allows ONE PIECE OF PAPER PER STUDENT FOR THE WHOLE DAY! Basically no handouts and anything assigned has to be fully copied by hand by the students which is wasting too much time.

CT

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Finally getting to bed--first day of classes tomorrow!



how was your first day?

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Darn. Hoped it would work better.


Oh, maybe you should try this?



And how about this wine rack?




mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

went to the chiropractor... LOVE that woman!!! I show up at 8 when they open, they haven't even had time to check their voice mail.... but get me right in, I was able to go to work all day today. Getting out of the car is still a challenge, but I am sooooo much better!!! I go back tomorrow after work...

The worst part of this, is no wine!!!!!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mother wrote:Like I can't be trolling AND pretentious AND douchey at the same time.


I just couldn't resist!



I never doubted that.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Bummer. Work has now blocked xkcd.com

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cortot20


quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
JOATMON wrote:Bummer. Work has now blocked xkcd.com



My work blocks anything classified as interesting or entertaining, including this site.

CT

UBlink


quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
cortot20 wrote:My work blocks anything classified as interesting or entertaining, including this site.


Mine is the same but they add in really crappy phone service to screw up the smartphone option

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cortot20 wrote:My work blocks anything classified as interesting or entertaining, including this site.



Oh darn! Now you might actually have to do work work! (As opposed to make work.)



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

UBlink


quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
MarkDaSpark wrote:Oh darn! Now you might actually have to do work work! (As opposed to make work.)


Actually it just means it takes me 5 times longer to get back to work.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:how was your first day?

It was quite good. Awfully hot though. The fans in my room did nothing but move a little bit of hot humid 81 degree air around! Thanks for asking! I have one class of 22 with only 2 girls in it, though. Very strange. Basically, it is what it is.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:went to the chiropractor... LOVE that woman!!! I show up at 8 when they open, they haven't even had time to check their voice mail.... but get me right in, I was able to go to work all day today. Getting out of the car is still a challenge, but I am sooooo much better!!! I go back tomorrow after work...

The worst part of this, is no wine!!!!!


Glad you're feeling better!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
cjsiege wrote:I think something could be arranged...



Thanks! Sent you a reply.

Is it really as easy as getting on the Metro yellow line from the airport, which will bring you to the convention center? Seems like a better idea than a taxi, although I hate carrying my luggage all over the place...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Ok now I"m seriously pissed. Before it was like, ok flour moths get into sealed bag of grain for porridge fine, ok they are in flour and small bag of rice, and in all of my pastry shells. I can live with that, I did let the infestation go, but now they have gone too far. I'm still in the process of unpacking, but I open a small box which turn out to be my dried mushrooms from woot that I ordered a while back that I havent opened at all because I still had some left, and what do I find? Larvae inside the sealed plastic bags of mushrooms. Thats it, I'm not seriously pissed. Woot can you offer dried mushrooms again, and if you do where should I keep them? Freezer? in a vaccum safe? In Sparky's wine lockers?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bahwm wrote:It was quite good. Awfully hot though. The fans in my room did nothing but move a little bit of hot humid 81 degree air around! Thanks for asking! I have one class of 22 with only 2 girls in it, though. Very strange. Basically, it is what it is.


Wow, what grade? My niece had a similar ratio year before last but not quite that bad.

I saw the post above about helping out Darlene. I do that for my nieces. I try to get them some supplies at the beginning of the school year and again at Christmas. I guess I need to go shopping soon for the fall round.

I'll do it when I get back from taking son back to college. We leave Thursday. He doesn't take a car so I go with him to rent a car for the move-in from storage to his dorm room.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

darlenee1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
tenuki wrote:You're welcome For those that aren't on FB with Darlene, her school budget basically only allows ONE PIECE OF PAPER PER STUDENT FOR THE WHOLE DAY! Basically no handouts and anything assigned has to be fully copied by hand by the students which is wasting too much time.


It's things like this that make urban students fall behind their suburban counterparts. The quality of teachers is the same, but I have classes with 28 students and spend way too much time having them copy down questions for their notes. This is why I'm soliciting donations of paper for my students. They want to learn, but simply aren't being given the same basic resources

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

amreli


quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
JOATMON wrote:Bummer. Work has now blocked xkcd.com


Noooooo!

Randomly enough, my work UN-blocked Facebook a few months ago. But then still had a website blocked that I needed for job-related training...


polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
amreli wrote:Noooooo!

Randomly enough, my work UN-blocked Facebook a few months ago. But then still had a website blocked that I needed for job-related training...


Do we work for the same company??

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cjsiege


quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
otolith wrote:Thanks! Sent you a reply.

Is it really as easy as getting on the Metro yellow line from the airport, which will bring you to the convention center? Seems like a better idea than a taxi, although I hate carrying my luggage all over the place...


Yes, it really is that easy to go from DCA to the convention center. Heck of a lot easier *and* cheaper than a taxi. And as long as you don't have a crap-ton of luggage, it's not too bad a schlepp. People do it all the time here. Just be sure to STAND RIGHT on the escalators. Otherwise, you will be cussed out as people run over you on the left side.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

First night back to work last night. 54 students. That is a lot of quizzes and finals to grade.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
kylemittskus wrote:First night back to work last night. 54 students. That is a lot of quizzes and finals to grade.



Funny, it just hit me all of those times you pass a quiz or test to another student to grade during class, I always thought it was just a learning opportunity to go over the questions. Now I realize it's just the teacher going no f'ing way I'm grading tonight

CT

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
tenuki wrote:Funny, it just hit me all of those times you pass a quiz or test to another student to grade during class, I always thought it was just a learning opportunity to go over the questions. Now I realize it's just the teacher going no f'ing way I'm grading tonight



Explains so much about my school years, right here. (I got a lot of 'learning opportunities'.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

Itwdswafo


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
kylemittskus wrote:First night back to work last night. 54 students. That is a lot of quizzes and finals to grade.



I've had friends that do a "W(h)ine and grading party."

Basically, they invite a few friends over to grade papers over wine, and laugh hysterically at the wrong answers.

cjsiege


quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
kylemittskus wrote:First night back to work last night. 54 students. That is a lot of quizzes and finals to grade.



When I was in grad school and working as a TA (aka Indentured Servant), I was one of 7 TA's for one of the "mega-classes"... 800+ students. For tests, there were always 7 questions on the test (one for each TA). We each got to grade the *same* question 800 times. Tests were passed around among us in stacks of 50. I had a pull-out sofa, so I hosted a couple of all night grading parties where a couple of us would grade and eat pizza until we'd collapse around 4am. Then get up at 7:30 and start all over again.

Those were the days...

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:It was quite good. Awfully hot though. The fans in my room did nothing but move a little bit of hot humid 81 degree air around! Thanks for asking! I have one class of 22 with only 2 girls in it, though. Very strange. Basically, it is what it is.



I keep forgetting a lot of the northern schools don't have the heavy duty air conditioners!! we have the opposite problem... in winter we don't always have heat!

one of our classes only has 2 girls also...

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Glad you're feeling better!



thanks, went back to the chiropractor after work.... It is AMAZING how much better I am... Last night was rough, I ended up with 2 charley horses in the same leg....I am going to not take the muscle relaxer tonight... I think it messed me up.... my boss was watching me as I was atempting to get out of my car this morning.... I must have been a sight....

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:thanks, went back to the chiropractor after work.... It is AMAZING how much better I am... Last night was rough, I ended up with 2 charley horses in the same leg....I am going to not take the muscle relaxer tonight... I think it messed me up.... my boss was watching me as I was atempting to get out of my car this morning.... I must have been a sight....


Good luck. And make sure the boss knows that you are having back problems. Otherwise, they seem to wonder about drinking...

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
tenuki wrote:You're welcome For those that aren't on FB with Darlene, her school budget basically only allows ONE PIECE OF PAPER PER STUDENT FOR THE WHOLE DAY! Basically no handouts and anything assigned has to be fully copied by hand by the students which is wasting too much time.



I thought we had it bad,,,, nothing compared to this!!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
tenuki wrote:Funny, it just hit me all of those times you pass a quiz or test to another student to grade during class, I always thought it was just a learning opportunity to go over the questions. Now I realize it's just the teacher going no f'ing way I'm grading tonight



well.... yeah!!

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Having an Alchemist Heady Topper. Wonderful. And I blame it all on Corrado.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
cjsiege wrote:When I was in grad school and working as a TA (aka Indentured Servant), I was one of 7 TA's for one of the "mega-classes"... 800+ students. For tests, there were always 7 questions on the test (one for each TA). We each got to grade the *same* question 800 times. Tests were passed around among us in stacks of 50. I had a pull-out sofa, so I hosted a couple of all night grading parties where a couple of us would grade and eat pizza until we'd collapse around 4am. Then get up at 7:30 and start all over again.

Those were the days...



I remember those days. My classes weren't quite as large as yours, I don't think...maybe 300. We always tried to guess whether a kid was pre-med or engineer based on the type and amount of whining over grades. Crying over 1 point = engineer. Air of desperation = pre-med.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
Itwdswafo wrote:I've had friends that do a "W(h)ine and grading party."

Basically, they invite a few friends over to grade papers over wine, and laugh hysterically at the wrong answers.



that is fun!!

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
Itwdswafo wrote:I've had friends that do a "W(h)ine and grading party."

Basically, they invite a few friends over to grade papers over wine, and laugh hysterically at the wrong answers.



Did you ever get wine drips on their papers?

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
polarbear22 wrote:Good luck. And make sure the boss knows that you are having back problems. Otherwise, they seem to wonder about drinking...



oh they know, a bunch of the staff go to the same chiropractor.... including the boss... they said I looked really pale the past couple of days, I had them worried.... cause I wasn't my bubbly self!! Everyone has been helpful and didn't mind me coming in late yesterday and leaving early today... this morning I think my boss was more concerned that I was pushing myself too hard...

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Trader Joe's opens on Friday!!!!!!!

karenhynes


quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
mommadeb1 wrote:Trader Joe's opens on Friday!!!!!!!



Yay!!!! I love Trader Joe's!!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson