MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 2nd.

September
9/22: Chicago #?
9/29: NoVA/DC #27: Favorite Wines by the Pool
9/29: NorCal Adventure to Wine Country
TBD: Austin Area Interest Thread

October
10/20: Detroit #12: The Last Hurrah

November
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

Pending
TBD: NorCal #TBD: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal #13: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

muscle relaxers are not working... grrrrr... I guess it is off to a quack in the box later today.....

Happy Labor day everyone!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:muscle relaxers are not working... grrrrr... I guess it is off to a quack in the box later today.....

Good luck. Back pain is the worse, in my opinion.

Have you dried out down there yet?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Good luck. Back pain is the worse, in my opinion.

Have you dried out down there yet?

still a lot of standing water in low areas.....

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mommadeb1 wrote:muscle relaxers are not working... grrrrr... I guess it is off to a quack in the box later today.....

I hope you feel better soon!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Chiropractor.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mommadeb1

cheron98 wrote:Chiropractor.

she is closed today!! agggghhhhh!! I know she can fix this!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

I very rarely vote or post comments on the daily polls, because mostly, they're really stupid, IMO. Today's is a classic example, proven by the fact that although there are 311 votes at this writing, there is only one comment, albeit a clever one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

mommadeb, I hope you're feeling better real soon! So sorry that you're going through all of this!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Was chatting with iByron on FB. He was at the wine bar and made friends with a guy from Portugal. He is quite proud to have learned how to pronounce certain Portuguese words.

While we were in Spain we learned how to pronounce Rias Biaxas. (I believe that this is the Gallego version of Spanish--that which is spoken in the far northwest of Spain, just above Portugal. Very different from Spanish. Our friend, Pilar, has problems understanding it!) Prior to our trip, I thought it was unpronounceable!

While we were there we visited a very small production winery whose Albariño was chosen to be served at a royal dinner. We had a tour with the winemaker. His Albariño was quite excellent. (Probably the best that we had tasted all week--and we did a lot of tasting!) However, his vineyard had very low production this year & got hit with mold. Plus, due to the cooler than normal temps, the grapes are not ripening as they normally would. He had to spray for the mold, but it doesn't look like the spray is helping. It looks like he will lose much of his crop. I don't know if they allow sourcing from other vineyards in that region or if everyone's crops were affected.

The winemaker gave us the tour all in Spanish--poor ddeuddeg! I was able to understand him and even ask some questions regarding his vineyard and winemaking. (Our friends were a bit surprised at my questions and the detail--I typically don't speak much Spanish with them--I like ddeuddeg to be able to understand what's going on! I obviously showed that I knew a little something about vineyards and winemaking.) Thank you, rpm and friends!

Back to the vineyard: It was surrounded by a kiwi orchard! I have never seen a kiwi tree before. The kiwi grow in clusters. Unfortunately, they were not ripe yet. The grape vines were trellised above our heads on heavy wire trellises and used granite pillars to hold up the vines! The grapes were hanging at about six feet--I could just barely stand up straight under the bunches and I'm 5'8.5". The root stock appeared to be quite old because of its diameter, but it was only 18 - 20 years old and was disease resistant to phylloxera. He also has some vines that were replaced two or three years ago. Grapes are hand harvested. Check out the pics on his website: Visit Adega Dosan--a play on the winemaker's name, the region & bodega!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

polarbear22

What would you recommend for pairing with Brunello? My daughter gave me a bottle a year or so ago. And we want to open and share with her before she leaves. I have only tasted one before, and a long while ago. So I need some advice on pairing.

Edit: I realized that we are better off holding this wine until she gets back from England than trying to open now.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:What would you recommend for pairing with Brunello? My daughter gave me a bottle a year or so ago. And we want to open and share with her before she leaves. I have only tasted one before, and a long while ago. So I need some advice on pairing.

Edit: I realized that we are better off holding this wine until she gets back from England than trying to open now.

Remind her to bring you back some English wine! zTimBz brought back some that we added to the list for the Double Century Varietal club!

Edit: You should probably give her some of the Wine Diapers in that case.

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:mommadeb, I hope you're feeling better real soon! So sorry that you're going through all of this!

thanks, just got back from walk in clinic.... 75$ later I have a new muscle relaxer... we shall see......

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
polarbear22 wrote:What would you recommend for pairing with Brunello? My daughter gave me a bottle a year or so ago. And we want to open and share with her before she leaves. I have only tasted one before, and a long while ago. So I need some advice on pairing.

Which BdM is it?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
mommadeb1 wrote:thanks, just got back from walk in clinic.... 75$ later I have a new muscle relaxer... we shall see......

I hope this one helps!

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

So my husband decided to replace the front axles on my car himself....things were supposedly going "great" until he ended up having to break a part of the ball joint to get things out, so now he also has to replace a ball joint. He's also had to purchase multiple new tools to be able to do this. And of course, he decides to do this on Labor Day...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

With Brunello, I'd probably want a nice Bolognese Sauce with pappardelle or tagliatelle.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Remind her to bring you back some English wine! zTimBz brought back some that we added to the list for the Double Century Varietal club!

Edit: You should probably give her some of the Wine Diapers in that case.

We'll be there in two weeks ourselves. Better be on the lookout. Any idea what it was?

My Cellar

polarbear22

kylemittskus wrote:Which BdM is it?

ddeuddeg wrote:With Brunello, I'd probably want a nice Bolognese Sauce with pappardelle or tagliatelle.

It is 2006 Caselgiocando.

DD - thanks for the link to the recipe. I will store it for later. Heck, I will try it before then.

My Cellar

kylemittskus

ddeuddeg wrote:With Brunello, I'd probably want a nice Bolognese Sauce with pappardelle or tagliatelle.

That would be my recommendation also, although any meat-based Italian meal would work well, IMO.

polarbear22

To those that are friends on FB. Another baby contest. My nephew's daughter is top in the contest tied to the MN state fair right now. Link is on my FB page. We'd appreciate your help in making her win.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:We'll be there in two weeks ourselves. Better be on the lookout. Any idea what it was?

I think one was 2005 Wyken Vinyards Madeleine Angevine (Madeleine Angevine).

Another was 2006 Wyken Vinyards Sonata (Bacchus).

MarkDaSpark

Crap! One of my favorite actors.

‎"Green Mile" actor Michael Clarke Duncan has died while being hospitalized following a heart attack, the AP reports. He was 54.

http://4.nbcla.com/Q1kyS2

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:Crap! One of my favorite actors.

‎"Green Mile" actor Michael Clarke Duncan has died while being hospitalized following a heart attack, the AP reports. He was 54.

Sad. I liked him.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Crap! One of my favorite actors.

Just saw that on the news!! I haven't seen green mile, but loved him in The Whole 9 Yards........ so sad,

mommadeb1

Update on my back...... still hurts like hell trying to get up off the couch..... but it only takes one try instead of the 4-5 it was taking yesterday...... Don't think this new muscle relaxer is doing too much... we shall see.... keeping fingers crossed I get into the chiropractor before I go into work.... I think I will try to sleep in my bed tonight... the couch wasn't that great......

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:I think one was 2005 Wyken Vinyards Madeleine Angevine (Madeleine Angevine).

Another was 2006 Wyken Vinyards Sonata (Bacchus).

We'll be on the lookout.

My Cellar

polarbear22

mommadeb1 wrote:Update on my back...... still hurts like hell trying to get up off the couch..... but it only takes one try instead of the 4-5 it was taking yesterday...... Don't think this new muscle relaxer is doing too much... we shall see.... keeping fingers crossed I get into the chiropractor before I go into work.... I think I will try to sleep in my bed tonight... the couch wasn't that great......

Good luck. A good nights sleep does wonders. Things loosen up.

My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Good luck. A good nights sleep does wonders. Things loosen up.

super sucky!!!! I just did a "test run" by lying in bed for about an hour....... Had to have hubby come and help me..... I couldn't get out of bed, back was spazing too much!!! this SUCKS!!!!!

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:We'll be on the lookout.

In addition to those two varietals, you might find: Siegerrebe, Pinot Auxerrois, Phoenix, Solaris, Regner, and others.

bahwm

Finally getting to bed--first day of classes tomorrow!

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:super sucky!!!! I just did a "test run" by lying in bed for about an hour....... Had to have hubby come and help me..... I couldn't get out of bed, back was spazing too much!!! this SUCKS!!!!!

Darn. Hoped it would work better.

Oh, maybe you should try this?

And how about this wine rack?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Today, on another thrilling edition of timesheet:

Coffee got left in the pots, it was horrid. Cleaned the pots, washed the thingy that you put the coffee filter in as it had grounds in it that had little white puffs on it. Fought urge to vomit. Drank coffee anyway, as I need the caffeine.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus

First day back to work tonight after three weeks off with SWMBO and Emmie. It's going to SUCK!!!!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

This week is just going to be weird considering all the time I had off last week. Ah, well. It was really fun though and I got to see so many friends!

I'm just hanging out, really.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Anyone in the DC area up for a late dinner or a glass of wine this Friday? I'll be arriving around 6:30pm, landing at Reagan. Also, any insight into getting to the convention center area from the airport would be appreciated.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Like I can't be trolling AND pretentious AND douchey at the same time.

I just couldn't resist!

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
otolith wrote:Anyone in the DC area up for a late dinner or a glass of wine this Friday? I'll be arriving around 6:30pm, landing at Reagan. Also, any insight into getting to the convention center area from the airport would be appreciated.

I think something could be arranged...

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
mother wrote:Like I can't be trolling AND pretentious AND douchey at the same time.

I just couldn't resist!

Not newsworthy over here. Where were you when you did the current deed?

NM - found it. Love the meme!