WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Foppiano Library Petite Sirah: RPM III Tour

Hey, we can throw around initials and Roman numerals all day; it won't get us any closer to a fine glass of wine. But clicking "buy now" over there? That starts the countdown clock to when you'll be enjoying a nice glass of Foppiano. Consider it the RPM Tour home game, why don't'cha?
Foppiano official site

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1563 Private Messages Cesare

Foppiano Library Petite Sirah: RPM III Tour

Foppiano 1996 Russian River Valley Petite Sirah 2-Pack
$54.99 (Normally $60.00) 8% off List Price
1996 Russian River Valley Petite Sirah

Foppiano 1997 Sonoma Petite Sirah 2-Pack
1997 Sonoma Petite Sirah

Foppiano 1998 Sonoma Petite Sirah 2-Pack
1998 Sonoma Petite Sirah

Foppiano Vertical Library Petite Sirah 3-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $90.00) 11% off List Price
1996 Russian River Valley Petite Sirah
1997 Sonoma Petite Sirah
1998 Sonoma Petite Sirah

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

A few questions to get this started.

Who was the winemaker for these wines?

Where these tasted on the RPM tour? Notes from those in attendance?

I dig aged PETs, but find they can be a bit one sided. Any notes on the complexity? CT for the '97 is helpful.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
trifecta wrote:A few questions to get this started.

I dig aged PETs, but find they can be a bit one sided. Any notes on the complexity? CT for the '97 is helpful.

From cmaldoon on the RPM thread (looked it up for my own price reference anyway:

"Our first winery of the day was Foppiano. I had never heard of the place but they have been around for a LONG time!

We took a long stroll through the vineyards learning about the peculiarities of northern Sonoma wine growing. They have lots of PS, some Pinot noir and Chardonnay

We then went into their barrel room and met their lovely new wine maker ( trained at Davis). We tasted a Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, rose (PN and PS), Pinot Noir, Lot 96 blend, and Petite sirah.

We then took a very long time getting out of there because we all lined up for their deal: $60 for a vertical of their estate PS '96-'98 ( add 95 for only $15 more). I look forward to experiencing this varietal well aged."

Looks like these were not tasted there, but offered at $60. I remember reading about this deal on that thread and was seriously jealous. It it awesome to see it offered here, but the $25 increase (after shipping) is a bummer. I do understand that this stuff is not free to ship and that WCC/woot needs to make some money, but it may be priced just out of my comfort level, especially given that these are all basically drink-now wines at this point.

I will have to mull this one over for a little bit.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
trifecta wrote:A few questions to get this started.

We did not taste any Of these old PSs on the tour. They had them for sale and half of the tour jumped at the chance to get them (and the 95)

I have only opened the 95 thus far and it was very interesting. Upon opening it smelled and tasted pretty ugly and bad. In fact I almost poured it out but stopped myself. I came back to it 2 hours later and a miraculous transformation had taken place. This ugly duckling was now a swan with beautiful floral licorice notes and a very nice finish. I was very pleased with it and urge everyone to give these a try. It's rare to find good 16 year old PS and these ones really can sing.

Just remember to give them time to open up. (HOURS)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

@North 316

Are you saying that you need more wines that need to age and fewer drink now? I know that my cellar is quite the opposite.

Plus I think these will hold 5 years just fine.

My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cmaldoon wrote:@North 316

Are you saying that you need more wines that need to age and fewer drink now? I know that my cellar is quite the opposite.

Plus I think these will hold 5 years just fine.

Yes and no. I have a decent mix now, but overall I have too much wine on hand anyway and a lot of recent and upcoming expense, so pricing and the fact that I would have to drink these sooner rather than later, has me worried. This is nothing against the wine, which I would absolutely love to have, just my current situation.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Bendial80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendial80

This is tempting but hard to make a decision at $25/bottle when I've never tasted it...especially when it's so old , 97 was an amazing year though....

cmaldoon

Bendial80 wrote:This is tempting but hard to make a decision at $25/bottle when I've never tasted it...especially when it's so old , 97 was an amazing year though....

PS acts differently. This is not old for it. And the 95 was singing.

My Cellar

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

My sparse notes from our tasting in the office...

"The fruit is still showing nicely in all 3. In the '97, the fruit was surprisingly still in the front seat.. in the '98 and '96, secondary characteristics were sharing the spotlight with the fruit. Others in the office favored the '97 for the strength of the fruit, but I liked the '96 best for it's complexity... leather, a hint of bitter chocolate, earthiness.. all sorts of stuff. "

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:We did not taste any Of these old PSs on the tour. They had them for sale and half of the tour jumped at the chance to get them (and the 95)

I have only opened the 95 thus far and it was very interesting. Upon opening it smelled and tasted pretty ugly and bad. In fact I almost poured it out but stopped myself. I came back to it 2 hours later and a miraculous transformation had taken place. This ugly duckling was now a swan with beautiful floral licorice notes and a very nice finish. I was very pleased with it and urge everyone to give these a try. It's rare to find good 16 year old PS and these ones really can sing.

Just remember to give them time to open up. (HOURS)

Arrrgh, got these on the tour, but haven't received them yet to know if I want, sure don't ~need~, more. Just not enough room to fit everything in the car to tote home.

Really enjoyed the Foppiano visit, just hadn't calibrated my card yet to how much I was destined to spend.

CT

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

Easy buy -- in for 2.

Well-made PS at this age and from the original producer is a no brainer.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

trifecta

I have had a number of 15+ year old PETs in the last year or so. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite varietals (now a psiloveyou member). The ability of these wines, as with any, depends on the style with which it was made.

Can the winery provide some insight into the additional specs of the wines ( pH, TA)?

I am pretty sure I will be trying the '97. Have had a few napa PETs from that year that were wonderful. The two 96's I had were a bit disappointing.

foppianovineyards

quality posts: 1 Private Messages foppianovineyards
trifecta wrote:I have had a number of 15+ year old PETs in the last year or so. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite varietals (now a psiloveyou member). The ability of these wines, as with any, depends on the style with which it was made.

Can the winery provide some insight into the additional specs of the wines ( pH, TA)?

I am pretty sure I will be trying the '97. Have had a few napa PETs from that year that were wonderful. The two 96's I had were a bit disappointing.

To answer your earlier question of who was the winemaker of these wines, that would be Bill Reagan.

As for the pH and TA of these wines, they would definitely have changed since they were originally run before bottling as acidity is not usually stable. I will run current analysis on these wines and get back to you tomorrow with the numbers!

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
PetiteSirah wrote:Easy buy -- in for 2.

Which do you suggest?

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

trifecta

foppianovineyards wrote:To answer your earlier question of who was the winemaker of these wines, that would be Bill Reagan.

As for the pH and TA of these wines, they would definitely have changed since they were originally run before bottling as acidity is not usually stable. I will run current analysis on these wines and get back to you tomorrow with the numbers!

Thanks for the answer. I actually was interested in what the numbers were at bottling. That is the only frame of reference I know. Please do run it now though. It would be cool to have a before to now comparison.

cmaldoon

foppianovineyards wrote:To answer your earlier question of who was the winemaker of these wines, that would be Bill Reagan.

Is this the new young wine maker for Foppiano? If so, I'd like to compliment the very nicely organized tasting you prepared for us!

My Cellar

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
cmaldoon wrote:Is this the new young wine maker for Foppiano? If so, I'd like to compliment the very nicely organized tasting you prepared for us!

Her name is Natalie West, she did a great job presenting her wines at our tasting, I really enjoyed our stop there and definitely plan on visiting again.

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:PS acts differently. This is not old for it. And the 95 was singing.

And as I recall the sales staff was really jumping with even whoop and rpm dancing around trying to find enough bottles to fill our orders. Really did resemble a feeding frenzy..

CT

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
PetiteSirah wrote:Easy buy -- in for 2.

Buying as much as they'll sell you would be the no-brainer for you!

These guys, and Concannon, are relatively genteel rivals for the distinction of the longest history of bottling varietal Petit Sirah in California, back into the late '60s or a bit longer.

As you know, but others may not appreciate, PS wines need lots of time. These wines are drinkable now, I suspect, though will all benefit from another 3-5 years. 20 is usually my sweet spot to start drinking PS (like Charbono).

If I were to open one of these now, I would decant carefully at least 2, perhaps 3, hours before serving.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

trifecta

rpm wrote:Buying as much as they'll sell you would be the no-brainer for you!

These guys, and Concannon, are relatively genteel rivals for the distinction of the longest history of bottling varietal Petit Sirah in California, back into the late '60s or a bit longer.

As you know, but others may not appreciate, PS wines need lots of time. These wines are drinkable now, I suspect, though will all benefit from another 3-5 years. 20 is usually my sweet spot to start drinking PS (like Charbono).

RPM, do you have any experience with older PS's in magnum format? I have a '79 Concannon I need to find an occasion to open.

foppianovineyards

trifecta wrote:Thanks for the answer. I actually was interested in what the numbers were at bottling. That is the only frame of reference I know. Please do run it now though. It would be cool to have a before to now comparison.

So, I've been searching for the numbers that were taken at bottling, but I have not found them... I will keep looking though! As for current pH/TA's here goes...

1996- pH- 3.68, TA 0.61g/100mL
1997- pH- 3.62, TA 0.66g/100mL
1998- PH- 3.59, TA 0.69g/100mL

foppianovineyards

bsevern wrote:Her name is Natalie West, she did a great job presenting her wines at our tasting, I really enjoyed our stop there and definitely plan on visiting again.

Thank you! I had a great time giving the tour. Everyone had good questions and input!

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
foppianovineyards wrote:Thank you! I had a great time giving the tour. Everyone had good questions and input!

Yours was definitely the best vineyard tour and we lucked out by running into your foreman (Miguel?) working with his crew and Paul on the tractor with some oversized hedge-clipper blade attachments that would make Edward Scissorhands jealous.

You were an excellent tour guide and Natalie did a great job leading us through the tasting. I regret not buying more of your wines when we were there but happy to have another opportunity to pickup the PS library vertical today.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Must be a sign. No CT. So no purchase for me. (And yes, I have very willing enablers, I mean wootleggers.) No direct shipping pushed me back over the fence.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar