Moshin 2008 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $120.00) 33% off List Price
2008 Moshin Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Which vineyards is this wine sourced from?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jimjacks66

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jimjacks66
kylemittskus wrote:Which vineyards is this wine sourced from?

More than likely the "Moshin Vineyard" as noted in the spec. Located on 10 acres in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County, California.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 169 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...enjoying a glass or two of this one tonight...

Dark ruby color.... a nose of fresh, dark berries; with that familiar Sonoma Coast aroma of earthy, forest floor. On the palate, dark berry fruit with just a sense of tart, spicy cherries, and a hint of graphite. Good acidity, nice finish, a pleasant texture. It needed 30-45 minutes of air to get there, but I'm pleased that it did.

A tad more concentrated than some SC Pinots I've tasted, but a good one.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
jimjacks66 wrote:More than likely the "Moshin Vineyard" as noted in the spec. Located on 10 acres in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County, California.

"A harmonious assemblage of several vineyards located in the cool Petaluma Gap region of the Sonoma Coast."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jimjacks66

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jimjacks66
kylemittskus wrote:"A harmonious assemblage of several vineyards located in the cool Petaluma Gap region of the Sonoma Coast."

Thus your valid question and what is stated in the woot offering. :-)

harmonious1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages harmonious1
kylemittskus wrote:"A harmonious assemblage of several vineyards located in the cool Petaluma Gap region of the Sonoma Coast."

I approve this message.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

As with any Sonoma 2008 offering, please address the potential for smoke taint. Were these vineyards not in the fire / smoke area? Was this wine filtered? Etc....

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

tradinick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tradinick

We had a private tasting by Moshin this summer. No smokey taste FWIW. This was one of their better Pinot Noirs. Pretty typical of a Russian River valley Pinot. Better then most California Pinot - for me that meant fuller (most cal Pinots are thin to my taste) with good aftertaste. Did I buy one? No, sorry, the Zins were much better in that area (close to dry creek) for my taste.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

FWIW -- According to Wine Enthusiast, 2008 was a pretty good year for Sonoma Coast Pinot. They give it a 93 score. Not as good as 2007, but better than 06, 09, and 10.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Had a chance to taste this one night last week. Wish I'd had a chance to read neilfindswine's suggestion, and given it some air time. Nose was heavy in alcohol, and something like stewed prunes. Color was a kind of pale brick red, a bit off for a PN, it seemed to me. Blackberries and strawberries on the palate initially, but it faded, and there wasn't much of a finish at all. After reading some of the other comments, I'm wondering if I just had a bad bottle. Would love the chance to give it another try.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM

Was there & tasting in March 2012.

The 2008 Sonoma Coast Pinot was heavy on the dark cherry and cranberry side, with less earth & spice than the RRV. Hubs thought there was more green tea on the palate than I picked up. Less complex than most Pinots we tasted that week, but a good daily Pinot. And the wine educator was quite informative -- nice PS too, FWIW.

No smoke taint issues in Petaluma Gap wine. Anderson Valley was the hardest hit.

Didn't buy it, but we were tasting there between Rochioli & Gary Farrell (and we prefer RRV & AV fruit, not knocking Sonoma Coast or SLH or Monterrey Coast wines, which we will gladly enjoy too), so it wasn't quite a fair comparison. ;)

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

RobAtSGH

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RobAtSGH

Can't speak to the Sonoma Coast bottling, but I've been through a number of bottles of the '07 Russian River Valley, and have been very satisfied. Good body, smooth and velvety on the palate, solid fruit (but not fruit punch) with a little earthiness. I'm partial to Moshin's style, if that means anything.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

ddeuddeg wrote:Had a chance to taste this one night last week. Wish I'd had a chance to read neilfindswine's suggestion, and given it some air time. Nose was heavy in alcohol, and something like stewed prunes. Color was a kind of pale brick red, a bit off for a PN, it seemed to me. Blackberries and strawberries on the palate initially, but it faded, and there wasn't much of a finish at all. After reading some of the other comments, I'm wondering if I just had a bad bottle. Would love the chance to give it another try.

...yeah, this one definitely needs to open up. It's funny, I had written down 'stewed fruit/prunes' upon opening it up. I walked away, finished dinner, got the kid in the bath and came back to revisit and 'twas night and day...

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
neilfindswine wrote:with that familiar Sonoma Coast aroma of earthy, forest floor.

I haven't had this wine, but "that familiar Sonoma Coast aroma of earthy, forest floor" just begs to be paired with mushrooms of some sort or another. I just love that pairing.

With regard to smoke taint, a few weekends ago I opened a couple bottles of 2008 Toulouse Pinot Noir, from the Anderson Valley, with noticable smoke taint. And every single one of our party of four was able to taste it, and every single one thought it was a good thing. This may not be the norm for smoke tainted grapes, but it worked in the two bottles we had. It was paired with grilled salmon having a shiitake mushroom sauce, fwiw. I think I may have a little mushroom problem...

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

SmilingBoognish wrote:I haven't had this wine, but "that familiar Sonoma Coast aroma of earthy, forest floor" just begs to be paired with mushrooms of some sort or another. I just love that pairing.

With regard to smoke taint, a few weekends ago I opened a couple bottles of 2008 Toulouse Pinot Noir, from the Anderson Valley, with noticable smoke taint. And every single one of our party of four was able to taste it, and every single one thought it was a good thing. This may not be the norm for smoke tainted grapes, but it worked in the two bottles we had. It was paired with grilled salmon having a shiitake mushroom sauce, fwiw. I think I may have a little mushroom problem...

There's no such thing as a "mushroom problem"!

On the smoke topic, and to be clear, this wine did not appear to have any 'taint', I agree; I've had a Bordeaux Blend from the Carmel area that had obviously been smoked, and it was an interesting layer that added to the complexity of the wine. I'm sure there are examples where the smoke had a negative influence; it just depends on the fruit in question, the degree of smoke influence and the winemaking...

Again, this PN did not have any smoke, that I detected (I don't think the Sonoma Coast had that issue; it was more Anderson Valley etc).

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

I tasted this wine along with ddeuddeg and found, at first, the every familiar pinot noir funk on the nose. The wine started out rather sweet yet pleasant. I rather liked it, but thought that there was a greater amount of sweet cherry flavors than I am used to in a pinot. Then, the wine just died and there wasn't much of a finish at all. Maybe it was a bad bottle that we had. Sorry I don't have more positive things to say about this wine.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
neilfindswine wrote:There's no such thing as a "mushroom problem"!

Those are the exact words that went through my mind when I read his comment. I eat mushrooms one way or another almost every day. Today I'll have some with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

moshinwine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moshinwine
kylemittskus wrote:Which vineyards is this wine sourced from?

Greetings!
This vintage was sourced from three vineyards located in the Petaluma Foothills (just east of the Petaluma Gap) - Morris Ranch, La Cruz and Flying Rooster. The vineyard selection for our Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir can vary from vintage to vintage and we were blessed with ZERO smoke taint from these vineyards. Enjoy!

moshinwine

neilfindswine wrote:...yeah, this one definitely needs to open up. It's funny, I had written down 'stewed fruit/prunes' upon opening it up. I walked away, finished dinner, got the kid in the bath and came back to revisit and 'twas night and day...

... 'tis a wonderful feature in most of the Pinot Noirs that we produce - with air, they blossom. Breathe ...

moshinwine

RobAtSGH wrote:Can't speak to the Sonoma Coast bottling, but I've been through a number of bottles of the '07 Russian River Valley, and have been very satisfied. Good body, smooth and velvety on the palate, solid fruit (but not fruit punch) with a little earthiness. I'm partial to Moshin's style, if that means anything.

It means alot to us. Thank you!

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
moshinwine wrote:Greetings!
This vintage was sourced from three vineyards located in the Petaluma Foothills (just east of the Petaluma Gap) - Morris Ranch, La Cruz and Flying Rooster. The vineyard selection for our Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir can vary from vintage to vintage and we were blessed with ZERO smoke taint from these vineyards. Enjoy!

Thanks!

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

Moshin Wines, question here. I got a shipping notification saying it was shipping on September 10 and would arrive September 17. Of course nothing came the 17th, so I go back to the site and it appears the shipment was never sent. Now there is no expected delivery date available. How does that work? When you send the notification to Fed Ex, why is the shipment not sent as well? And why is it still not sent more than a week later?

I don't understand.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

mstern20878 wrote:Moshin Wines, question here. I got a shipping notification saying it was shipping on September 10 and would arrive September 17. Of course nothing came the 17th, so I go back to the site and it appears the shipment was never sent. Now there is no expected delivery date available. How does that work? When you send the notification to Fed Ex, why is the shipment not sent as well? And why is it still not sent more than a week later?

I don't understand.

Summer shipping; sometimes that happens as a result of packs being sent via refrigerated truck to the fed ex hub. You can always email service@woot.com for more info.