CT links above

Winery website

Previous offers:
3/12/12
3/7/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Got this mixed case last time around in March for only $10 less and have enjoyed both the Merlot and Cab as a "Tuesday Night" bottles. Great QPR. Still have four of each left and cases from rpm tour on the way.

Still, must consider this...

CT

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

Same as above, and bought the cab in two previous offers. I'm a big fan of these, may have to go in for one...

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

I bought this before and it's a solid value, but I don't need a case. Anyone in the Seattle/Bellevue area who wants to split? I can go two-way or three-way without a problem. If interested, PM me instead of polluting the thread.

tewkewl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tewkewl

Ha Ha Ha... Ha Ha Ha.

I can't believe white oak is still trying to pawn this off on us wooters.

I got a case in the spring... I have to say... the merlot was undrinkable. it was like some sort of sour acid mixed with alcohol.

The cab was pretty potent but was pretty good. It tasted like a cab crossed with a spicey chianti, that makes sense. Honestly, I was utterly disappointed and almost vowed never to do a wine woot again after that experience...

Thank goodness pedroncelli redeemed wine woot for me a little later down the line...

but when you can get better wine for the same price at you local total wines, i wonder if it's worth it to get a case of something like white oak....

phidan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phidan
tewkewl wrote:Ha Ha Ha... Ha Ha Ha.

I got a case in the spring... I have to say... the merlot was undrinkable. it was like some sort of sour acid mixed with alcohol.

The cab was pretty potent but was pretty good. It tasted like a cab crossed with a spicey chianti, that makes sense. Honestly, I was utterly disappointed and almost vowed never to do a wine woot again after that experience...

Thank goodness pedroncelli redeemed wine woot for me a little later down the line...

but when you can get better wine for the same price at you local total wines, i wonder if it's worth it to get a case of something like white oak....

pedroncelli was terrible

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
tewkewl wrote:

You may have gotten some bum wine. The Merlots aren't as good as the cabs by a decent margin, but they're still pretty darned decent.

Also, you may want to stop drinking sour acid.

ego48

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ego48

Just finished the last bottle from March last night.

Both are fine every day drinkers. As noted by others, the Cab is a steal at this price, but the Merlot is still good QPR.

Of course i don't like the $15 price increase - mucks with the QPR - ok ok, i realize that it only takes me from $8.75 / bottle to $10 per, but still.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

If anyone in Upstate NY (Saratoga) wants the Merlot, PM me. Not a Merlot fan!

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia
phidan wrote:pedroncelli was terrible

Cosign.

fenderehx4ever

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fenderehx4ever
rjquillin wrote:Got this mixed case last time around in March for only $10 less

+1

I enjoyed them with food. I didn't taste enough complexity in either to buy again at a higher price.

mclark2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mclark2

I second that.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Last Wooter to Woot:fredrinaldi

in for 2 Love the Cab, the Wife gets the Merlot.

bklyn8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bklyn8

Liked white oak better than pedroncelli but wasn't really happy with either

vannknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vannknight

tewkewl wrote:I got a case in the spring... I have to say... the merlot was undrinkable. it was like some sort of sour acid mixed with alcohol.

I have to say that I had a similar reaction to the Merlot (did not like it at all). The Cab was a little better, but not much. Not trying to be a spoiler here, just trying to give folks my impression of the wine.

Oh - and I liked the Pedroncelli better (for the record).

alforsd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alforsd

Bought this case in the spring. Believe the merlot was prob in its prime a couple of years ago, but the cab is drinking well right now. Both are solid wines for the $$, but the cab really is a steal in my opinion. It even merits decanting, and is throwing a little sediment. Definitely in for another case.

svwindom

quality posts: 10 Private Messages svwindom

I got the spring mixed case and also didn't care for either the merlot or the cab. Not bad for the price (or even the current price), but if I'd paid list I would have felt massively ripped off.

But the real reason I'm commenting is to say someone still has four of each?!?!! What is the secret to keeping wine around in one's household for that long?

rjquillin

ego48 wrote:Just finished the last bottle from March last night.

Both are fine every day drinkers. As noted by others, the Cab is a steal at this price, but the Merlot is still good QPR.

Of course i don't like the $15 price increase - mucks with the QPR - ok ok, i realize that it only takes me from $8.75 / bottle to $10 per, but still.

Yes, $15 not $10, forgot shipping...

Not sure where all the hate from others is coming from. The Merlot is at CT market price and the Cab less than half; these aren't and don't claim to be "Black Tie" bottles, but solid 'Tuesday' food bottles.

The Pedroncelli in particular, show substantial benefit to those with some patience to let them sit for a year or more from release and then drink well above their price. Chat up some rpm tourists, we kept the sales staff hopping with whoop nagging all to speed it up. CASES were carted out after that visit by both groups.

Quit expecting these to drink like $40-$50 wine and enjoy them for what they are.

CT

rjquillin

svwindom wrote:
But the real reason I'm commenting is to say someone still has four of each?!?!! What is the secret to keeping wine around in one's household for that long?

They get misplaced/lost/forgotten, and I'm a graduate hoarder, haven taken lessons from Sparky?

CT

aharrover

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aharrover

Got this in the spring: cab is solid but the merlot is just not real good.

Pendroncelli was nigh undrinkable.

edieraye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edieraye

I feel like a salmon swimming upstream here, but we LIKE the merlot. We always aerate and usually slightly chill (we are in Texas, room temp is just too hot for wine, even reds). Maybe that combo creates better results? I don't know, what I do know is that when we show up with a bottle, friends are happy. I woke to a text AND an email from two different people today letting me know that "our" wine was on woot today. As always, YMMV.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

i had both the Merlot and the Cab again recently. pretty good. certainlly not bad or poorly constructed. maybe a bad bottle or two in the overall mix, but solid QPR here.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
svwindom wrote:But the real reason I'm commenting is to say someone still has four of each?!?!! What is the secret to keeping wine around in one's household for that long?

I'm just hanging out, really.

jchasma

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jchasma

I can say I definitely agree with this. If the offer was a 6 pack of the cab, I might be in. The merlot (which I currently have a bottle of open on my counter) is awful. I only have a few bottles left because I don't feel guilty at ALL opening it. This is not worth the money.

tewkewl wrote:Ha Ha Ha... Ha Ha Ha.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Just had some of the Cab the other night. I thought it was pretty tight upon opening, which surprised me for an '06, but we decided to decant it for a half hour, which turned into an hour by the time we got to it. Very subdued fruit on the nose, no real alcohol burn; on the palate, dark sour cherries, tannins had softened completely. Not much of a finish, as if it had totally faded already. Seemed like an awfully narrow drinking window, but at this price point, a pleasant everyday drinker.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
rjquillin wrote:
The Pedroncelli in particular, show substantial benefit to those with some patience to let them sit for a year or more from release and then drink well above their price.

I concur with Ron on the Pedroncelli.

The first time I bought a mixed case here I tried a couple within weeks of receiving the shipment, and also thought it was plonk (sorry Ed!). I let it sit for about a year, and another Pedroncelli woot came up, everyone was raving about it, so I popped a bottle from the now year old purchase, and it was good! That's the secret to Pedroncelli, it needs time to knit itself together....patience grasshopper (oh and like Ron also said, don't expect it to taste like a $50 bottle....that's not going to happen).

On the White Oak...I got nothin'

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
svwindom wrote:

This is indicative of having a larger BUYING problem than a DRINKING problem.

*Raises Hand* Yes I have purchased 100 bottles per year more than I have consumed the past 2 years. I have no problem keeping wines around now.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

snots

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snots
fenderehx4ever wrote:+1

I enjoyed them with food. I didn't taste enough complexity in either to buy again at a higher price.

Ditto. Almost finished my case from March. I would say that the price increase jumped it from a good value to just competitive.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

When a wine is consistently described as an "every day drinker" or a "good QPR", that's a red flag for me. It usually means its no better than supermarket wine..if that.

Regarding the Pedroncelli, I'm finding this wine to be greatly improving with age.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
bsevern wrote:I concur with Ron on the Pedroncelli.

The first time I bought a mixed case here I tried a couple within weeks of receiving the shipment, and also thought it was plonk (sorry Ed!). I let it sit for about a year, and another Pedroncelli woot came up, everyone was raving about it, so I popped a bottle from the now year old purchase, and it was good! That's the secret to Pedroncelli, it needs time to knit itself together....patience grasshopper (oh and like Ron also said, don't expect it to taste like a $50 bottle....that's not going to happen).

Question..why would I want to buy a 8 to 10 dollar wine and use up my precious cellar space for a year or two for a wine that will only ever be a nice Tuesday night pizza wine?

If that is the case they are releasing them way to early.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
tytiger58 wrote:Question..why would I want to buy a 8 to 10 dollar wine and use up my precious cellar space for a year or two for a wine that will only ever be a nice Tuesday night pizza wine?

Cost/benefit trade-off. Pedroncelli produces a lot of wine. I'm sure they would like to hold on to some of these and release them later, but that would cost them a lot more money and would in-turn increase their prices and decrease the perceived value. The trade-off for the rocking prices Ed provides us, is that we need to use OUR space to age them for another year. I'll take that trade-off on any wine, any day.

Now back to the offering on hand folks!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
bsevern wrote:I concur with Ron on the Pedroncelli.

Dare I mention "bottle shock" or "travel shock"???? I know there's already a thread on this, but I personally think that all wine needs a few weeks to a month to rest after traveling across the country in a bumpy truck.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

bsevern

tytiger58 wrote:Question..why would I want to buy a 8 to 10 dollar wine and use up my precious cellar space for a year or two for a wine that will only ever be a nice Tuesday night pizza wine?

They can be very good with age, but ultimately only you can answer that question.

bsevern

jhkey wrote:Dare I mention "bottle shock" or "travel shock"???? I know there's already a thread on this, but I personally think that all wine needs a few weeks to a month to rest after traveling across the country in a bumpy truck.

I agree that can be a factor, but ultimately I find aging to be the solution for Pedroncelli.

ponchey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ponchey

I agree. Pedroncelli was very dissappointing to me and the White Oak was unexpectedly good, including the merlot, which I am not a huge fan of. I'm in for a case!

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

Which Pedroncelli? I got the port from WW and enjoy it very much

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

I was fortunate enough to be over at a friend's house when he brought the White Oak CS out for some noshing on cheese. I found this to have a lot of green/herbal notes and some sour cherry on the palate. The palate profile kept changing as the wine sat in my glass. It had interesting structure at first, but the more it breathed, the flabbier it got. I wanted to like this a lot, but I honestly didn't.

I would not recommend decanting or aerating this wine. I think it killed the bottle. I'd just open the bottle and let it sit on the counter or in a glass for a bit.

At this price-point, it would be a decent Tuesday night glass. I would not feel guilty if I didn't finish the whole bottle at one sitting.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I guess it really depends upon your situation. If you are truly cramped for space it is a problem. I have a proper "cellar" to keep seriously age worthy wines. I have another spot in the basement with no climate control other than "basement" for wines which I will keep for 1-4 years before opening. Prior to my current home, I used the crawl space under the house and interior closets. It's worked out fine, and I can attest to the fact that for *me* Pedroncelli wines are generally worth the wait. In fact, if I see Pedroncelli or Mandolina on Woot, I immediately hit the stupidly large button for the max and e-mail my wife to do the same with her account.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
SmilingBoognish wrote:I guess it really depends upon your situation. If you are truly cramped for space it is a problem. I have a proper "cellar" to keep seriously age worthy wines. I have another spot in the basement with no climate control other than "basement" for wines which I will keep for 1-4 years before opening. Prior to my current home, I used the crawl space under the house and interior closets. It's worked out fine, and I can attest to the fact that for *me* Pedroncelli wines are generally worth the wait. In fact, if I see Pedroncelli or Mandolina on Woot, I immediately hit the stupidly large button for the max and e-mail my wife to do the same with her account.

I live in cali and space is always an issue (no basement here)and yes I know the economics of why wineries sell the wine early, my point is we are talking about 8 dollar everyday quaffers that according to what I am reading here after a year or two of cellaring to keep it in context will only taste like a $15 wine??

I guess all I am saying is if i'm buying a 8 dollar Tuesday night wine I want to drink it on Tuesday not a year or two from Tuesday.

Not knocking Pedroncelli i'm sure they make some great wines.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson